ns2_combi - Farewell

2»

Comments

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @Flaterectomy : The commander can build on collision geometry.

If there is something else under it, sure. That's not what I said, though. If you set your floor props to non-collidable to avoid bouncing up and down on ledges and such, and put down CollisionGeometry instead, you need a face set to CommanderBuild in the same spot, or the commander cannot build there.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

You seem to exclude some layers for path generation. Try to include in one layer all that you wish to be excluded.

Pathing works if the it meets condition like connected areas, slope etc... Unless you change the default settings it works fine most of the time. If your Macs can go there is means the path mesh meet these conditions. Make it so it doesn't for the parts you want to exclude.

No place in the map should ever be only connected by vents.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    No place in the map should ever be only connected by vents.

That's the underlying problem here, that's exactly what he's trying to do.
  • Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    My map has beeng going through a lot of changes and tests and will likely to continue to go through few minor changes but I would defintly say I have passed the half way point for the map.

Looking at the steam page you can see pictures of the various overviews and get an idea of the transformation the map has gone through.

Future changes will likely evolve around adding more detail/content to the rooms. The current idea for layout change will be the pathway in cave/alpha. While there is a lot of cover there, I may make the pathway wide (following request i have received).

since the fix to my above request wasn't put forward the room wasn't being used often so I opended it up. Still not getting used as much.

Maps plays well on 24+ server. I reckon it will play good on a full 24 server, however it is on the big side.

Some of the pictures you see of the map are likely outdated, best way to review this map and provide feedback is to view it in-game. Link to steam of the map.

I get it testplayed on Playground server and it plays generally balanced. To see some of the stats for the plays have a look here
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    played the map a good number of times..

Its ugly as hell but its a lot of fun, the layout is actually quite nice
    edited January 2016
    played the map a good number of times..

Its ugly as hell but its a lot of fun, the layout is actually quite nice

erm... thanks? Have you played it today as I have redone Cave and Train room. I have also expanded East wing recently.

I do want to start and focus making it look better next as i think i have the general layout sorted
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited January 2016
    I have just taken a look at it aswell... he kinda is right with the ugly fact but it is ok for a map in development. What was way more distracting... confusing... you name it... was the fact that I had no idea what you map is supposed to be...
    In one room you see a beautiful garden with flowers and water and stuff (best room imo btw) and in the next room you see a lava fan with strange cloud effects, a green glowing gorge head and stuff. Then on one side of the map if you look outside you see snowy rocks and on the other side you see city elements with no snow at all?... You map feels a bit like it has been done by 30 people with 30 different ideas...

I'd recommend you actually find out what your map is supposed to be (what happened in the building before the aliens came) and once you have that you can work on the looks a little...
    @Mephilles
    I agree that there is no consistent theme across the map. Many do ask me what is the theme and i can't ever really provide an answer. I didn't start of with a theme in mind and it's a bit late to start with a theme as it will take a lot of effort to add one throughout the map.

I think a theme is generally a good idea for inspiration for the map design and have consistency but it's a bit late for one. If there is a theme for the outside at least, it will be a cold snow theme (except for train room, as i like how it looks).

I find it a little funny the extreme contrast in theme. Comparing the two outside areas seen at Bar room and Train room, which are next to each other, you see a snow outside area (generally consistent with more of what you see for the outside) and Train room has a sunny desert theme to it (which happens to be included in the last map update).

That room with the lava (named Alpha on the map) is not one that I like and I will improve it once i come up with an idea for it - which as can be seen so far, could be anything. Train room looked worse before the update and was worked on last to its current look.

Majority of people say they like the Garden room, especially since i opened it up.
    I now have very little time to add more to this map. It has reached a good playable state with many balanced rounds played.

Spoiler has consolidated all the "change notes" from steam workshop throughout this map development which provides a bit of an insight in how the map evolved.

A bit lengthy
    most recent update

UPDATE 24/01/2016
    Commander overview improved so that there are no walls between rooms that could effect med/ammo pack drop etc.
    RT1 renamed to Observation
    Stuck point at mainres fixed.
    Textures added to untextured vents
    Issue with view of outside would from Left spawn resolved
    Blood gorge added
    Red Exo, Command and Mac added

UPDATE -2016
    Prison room/cell redone
    Power node in Drill site moved

UPDATE -2016
    Surge renamed to Drill Site
    -Vent added between Drill site and Eye
    Alien spawn expanded
    Vent added between Alien spawn and Storage
    Fixed fps drop in Sewer
    Other minor fixes around map
    Omega resource moved to Drill Site
    Train Resource moved to Cave
    Corridor broken up / redone

UPDATE -2016
    sound entity added to sewer to correspond with water
    Surge room redone
    Fix with rocks at tram room
    Additional props added in Omega (wip)
    props doors made clear that they don't open
    testing with various images of SG, rifle, axe.
    Prop replaced in Pass
    minor fix around map

UPDATE -2016
    Train room (corridor part) redesigned
    cave room expanded (vertically) more content added
    Missing wall fix at War Room

UPDATE -2016
    East wing expanded
    Alien spawn made bigger to allow for more egg space
    power node at war room moved
    -light effects added to right spawn
    Map overview:
    -outside garden area added
    -spaceships removed from map

UPDATE -2016
    -route added at garden to reach top part of garden - Climb on rocks behind powernode and walk across the beam.
    -Train animation/sound on a 25 second loop. Interactive button removed
    -Route to Garage added from Corridor and from Pass
    - Background view of Alpha changed, some props added - wip
    -props/walls added to commander invisible which were restricting comm's view and med drop
    -testing a few reflection propes around the map
    -texturs added on previous default texture
    -Location between Eye and Pass assigned to East Wing (and East Wing power node
    -Green Lights added to top part of Garden
    -Dopefish lives

UPDATE - 2016
    East wing expanded
    Alien spawn made bigger to allow for more egg space
    power node at war room moved
    -light effects added to right spawn
    Map overview:
    -outside garden area added
    -spaceships removed from map

UPDATE - 2016
    -route added at garden to reach top part of garden - Climb on rocks behind powernode and walk across the beam.
    -Train animation/sound on a 25 second loop. Interactive button removed
    -Route to Garage added from Corridor and from Pass
    - Background view of Alpha changed, some props added - wip
    -props/walls added to commander invisible which were restricting comm's view and med drop
    -testing a few reflection propes around the map
    -texturs added on previous default texture
    -Location between Eye and Pass assigned to East Wing (and East Wing power node
    -Green Lights added to top part of Garden
    -Dopefish lives

UPDATE - 2016
    -Top entrance to Right spawn made wider
    -Cobra/Snake renamed to Train
    -Train Room redone
    -Bar Exit room edited
    -Interactive board to activate train/sound added to Train room and outside Marine Spawn. - Cooldown of 6 seconds
    -Pipe remove from Sewer. Another pipe added to sewer to cover part of train and allows marine access to vents.
    -View of outside from Left Spawn edited to reduce visibility of outside map
    -RT added to Train. (since the removal of 2 RTs (sewer and War room) marines seem to struggle. Testing gameplay with additional RT to help marines
    -file for FastLoad added
    -other small touches around map

UPDATE 18/12
    -Occlusion Geometry fix at Left Spawn
    -Prop adjustment Left Spawn to increase cover
    -Now possible for gorges to place tunnel in top part of Garden
    -Props added to Right spawn to provide alien with cover
    -other minor changes

UPDATE 09/12
    -TechPoint added to sewer
    -1 RT removed from Sewer
    -RT removed from War Room
    -Garden opened up to players
    -other minor improvements around the map

UPDATE 07/12
    -Pathway added between Sewer and War room per request/feedback
    -Has a few textures around the map changed for better quality, still looking for most suitable texture however

UPDATE 06/12
    Expanded Bottom spawn. more content added.
    Lights at Garage for whatever reason are not lit for commanders. so room appears dark. May leave it like this.

UPDATE 03/11/2015
    New room added called Garage
    Garage is ONLY accessible by vents from Pass, War room and Corridor
    Vent added between Bar and *another room*
    Props in war room vent
    Attempt to fix spawn override

UPDATE 30/10/2015
    -More occlusion geometry added at silo to compensate for fps drop there. (seen slight improvement)
    -Sile/Storage room expanded following feedback and gameplay view
    -Wall added in Bar to reduce LOS
    -additional lights added to bar
    -TechPoint locations renamed to make it easier for faster locating and until i come up with names. Top Spawn, Right Spawn, Buttom Spawn, Red Spawn.
    -Vent at right spawn made a bit smaller to prevent onos from entering
    -wall/floor snapping around the map
    -attempt to fix derelict prop models missing from log at startup

-Stuck point and gap in RT1 fixed
    -watefall sound effect at Garden fixed

UPDATE 23/10/2015
    additional lighting effects at Corridor to compensate for LOS.
    prop tweak at sewer
    entity/prop tweak Prison
    "bunker" renamed to "prison"
    adjustment to RR secret
    sound effect adjustment
    RR doors replaced to allow onos/exo to get pass

UPDATE 23/10/2015
    -Redesign bunker room (again). keeping with this design
    -entity/light tweaks around the map
    -props added to West room to give more hiding space for alien
    -fixed decal warning previously showing
    -Secret

UPDATE 21/10/2015
    ambient sound added to rooms
    LOS reduced between War room and West room
    Lighting effects added to Corridor
    LOS reduced between Bunker and cave
    Tram re-introduced to cave (from an earlier version)
    Special treat for a marine at Storage

UPDATE 19/10/2015
    Re-done Bunker room.
    - Reduces LOS betweeen cave and Bunker
    - Extension added to bunker. Room still in development. Going for the pile of dead bodies affect - WIP
    Snap to grid more walls and props

UPDATE 14/10/2015
    Snap to place walls and ceiling throughout the map
    Room power / location improved to prevent overlap and blank spots
    All but one error remains - something to do with assets??
    Allignment of props/entity with floor/walls etc
    Clearer sign in stairway of death trigger
    Cysts added for aliens start to ensure RT is reached
    Pathing improved for AI
    Removed unecessary walls/lines
    Fixed locations players go stuck in wall

UPDATE 05/10/2015
    Pathing issue bug fixed caused by previous update
    further props added to Sewer
    water feature added to Aewer

Unless issues arise that need fixing immediately. next update won't be for a while.

UPDATE 04/10/2015
    Entity releated mods removed.
    Stairs added between bar and room X.
    Death trigger at stair lowered and visually made clearer

UPDATE 26/09/2015 -02/10/2015
    Extension added to sewer - small corner room.
    Fixed a few areas players got stuck on wall
    Fixed high FPS drop at silo
    Structures placed to block lift will be destroyed to keel lift and door at correct position. Does significant damage to players if they try to block

UPDATE 23/09/2015
    Props added to War Room surrounding area.
    Shutter doors removed to reduce console errors and due to being too small to allow exos/onos to walk through
    Slight pathing adjustments
    Props added to spawn room

UPDATE 20/09/2015
    Hot fix to server crash?

UPDATE 09/09/2015
    Pathing improvements
    Props added
    Entities improved

UPDATE 28/08/2015
    Pathing improvements
    Further Entities added
    power blank spot fixed

-Attempt to incorporate other mods into single map

known issue: Due to Window shutters added to room RT1, Commander's view can be restricted if zoomed out.

UPDATE 25/08/2015
    -Incorporated Entites mod and Water mod into map. Link to mods on the side. Will try to directly incorporate the mod into map to ensure a working and tested version is always with the map.
    -other minor improvement around the map

##Could a server owner test the map and tell me whether the lift found at Room X (next to garden) and the switch at garden has a significant impact on server which could impact gameplay performance##

known issues:
    power blank spot between Garden and Room X

UPDATE 12/07/2015
    From previous verion of the map on the other post:
    -redone occlusion geometry for whole of map. I see increased fps now (except for Silo room, fps drops there and I can't seem to improve it)
    -redone pathing for whole of map
    -vent added between Red Spawn and Stairway (not shown on screenshot uploaded)
    -increased brightness in some rooms
    -added content to a few empty room
    -a few other changes

Went through the map. removed the bugs and holes that were in this copy

First Published -8 July 2015

I did start to create a new ready room, but there was console errors with it. I have put a post on the forum asking if anyone wanted to create a new or finish the RR i started.

Unless any serious issues arise, this version is mainly how Combi will look - unless if anyone else wants to add to the map to improve it? You may have a challenge ahead of you.

I've had fun creating and testing the map. It has been the only map i ever made and will likely be that way.

I will continue to play NS2 when i get the chance, but will not be as much as i use to.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    so did you just say that other mappers are allowed to develop this map even further?
    edited January 2016
    Mephilles wrote: »
    so did you just say that other mappers are allowed to develop this map even further?

I always welcomed others help on the map. When playing/testing the map there had been people that showed interest in developing/creating a map. I talked to them about the mechanics and how to get things going and offered them to redo or add rooms. I got the impression that they were genuinely interested things never really got off the ground.

I have made a good map which has a tested balanced layout (for larger servers at least, I did have a few good rounds when played with less than 24 players), so it's best to leave the general layout how it is. If you want to develop rooms better or have better ideas design that will improve the map which you are willing to implement, it will be a selfish of me not to accept. I would rather play a good looking, detailed map and say X helped than just a good map.

Increasing the hight of a room, something which people have requested won't be a problem, so you can do that. If you make a room slightly wider, the ability to create a map overview is messed up for my my map. I have been manually editing the overview for a while now. I recommend using GIMP to edit overviews and you simply overwrite to save. Everything in the map has an assigned layer so it should be easy to edit individual rooms directly and without have the whole map loaded, and since I won't be adding more changes there shouldn't be any duplicate or conflicting work done by me on a room.

I had an idea for giving credit to any contributor. In the ready room there could be a big marine hologram figure for each contributor with a plaque under each one naming them with a message of what they done or a quote of their choice.
    problem is that I am busy with 2 maps already so I won't have time for yours :/
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This map has some real potential to be a good map, purely based on the layout which I've mentioned multiple times (apart from telling him to get rid of that ridiculous ready room :smiley: ) and to chop out or simplify a few confusing corridors around Sewer, you have the potential for a real winner!
    edited April 2016
    Here is a zip file with Combi map and the ready room i was working on.

It also has the custom materials, models etc. best copy those into your ns2 folder so that it loads in Spark editor
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    nice i really like the layout of this map not so much the theme :D if i get a hang of spark i will try tweak some rooms :)
    edited April 2016
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4nl8pqkluqd9ly/combi output.zip?dl=0 Dropbox link to the map as previous uploaded version do not appear to show