Spark Detailing Exercise #3: Day & Night

2»

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    To explain what I mean, here is an image of a reflection in the window:
    reflect%20normal_zps5cnyq27m.jpg

When you brighten it up, you see the contrast in the darker areas of the reflection has been completely destroyed, it is all one mass of dark colors:
    reflect%20bright_zpsgi00jhjm.jpg

When you brighten your image though, you find the reflection to still be almost a pixel perfect mirror, without any colour degredation at all.
    affAwNn%20bright_zpstmzzqf6d.jpg

I hope that explains what I mean a bit better. The loss of contrast is more distinct, the darker the outside as well.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I left the reflection probe's strength at the default 0.5 in the night shot in order to clearly reflect the second story windows in them, while lowering it to 0.05 for the daytime shot so the reflection wouldn't distract from the skybox. I'm okay with the mirror-like quality there myself, but I would definitely agree that 0.5 is generally way too high for use in a practical NS2 map.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    I can tell you what i tried to do. You know that glass tunnel in derelict? Well i wanted to make an underwater glass corridor with warter flowing in. You woud've been avaible to see the surfade from the water and some awsome water bubbles comming up from a pipe with fan. A entire new ecosystem with underwater plants (mabey even the peeper model).
    But i just couldn't get the effects i wanted. You can say i took water over my head...

¿See that pun?
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @Calego You have kind of a singleplayer vibe going on there. I think that's because it appears to be a more realistically scaled corridor, not made to cater to Onos. I like the use of the MAC appearing to move around the corner, and how that makes the scene come alive. The other MAC is pretty creepy, peeking in through the window like that.

In regard to the theme, it's a little difficult to tell which screenmshots are day time and which are night time. I think the first images are night, and the second day? Mostly basing that on the light coming in past the ceiling-fan, assuming that's daylight. You hinted at struggling with the lighting a little, and it's its own little artform. It's also possibly the thing that mostly polishes a level, perhaps even more so than prop-use and such. Position, angle, colour and intensity are worth playing around with a lot.

The trim textures used and the terminal props all have a lot of little light spots on them, including white, orange, blue and cyan. That's a lot of different little colours sprinkled on screen. Then there's bright orange outside the window, pale yellow streaming in through the doorway at night. Small red lights near the ceiling. All the while there's a neutral base level of light that I assume is white. White light points out all colour in the various textures and props used, and with all these other colours spread around the palette becomes a little chaotic.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    @Calego You have kind of a singleplayer vibe going on there. I think that's because it appears to be a more realistically scaled corridor, not made to cater to Onos. I like the use of the MAC appearing to move around the corner, and how that makes the scene come alive. The other MAC is pretty creepy, peeking in through the window like that.

In regard to the theme, it's a little difficult to tell which screenmshots are day time and which are night time. I think the first images are night, and the second day? Mostly basing that on the light coming in past the ceiling-fan, assuming that's daylight. You hinted at struggling with the lighting a little, and it's its own little artform. It's also possibly the thing that mostly polishes a level, perhaps even more so than prop-use and such. Position, angle, colour and intensity are worth playing around with a lot.

The trim textures used and the terminal props all have a lot of little light spots on them, including white, orange, blue and cyan. That's a lot of different little colours sprinkled on screen. Then there's bright orange outside the window, pale yellow streaming in through the doorway at night. Small red lights near the ceiling. All the while there's a neutral base level of light that I assume is white. White light points out all colour in the various textures and props used, and with all these other colours spread around the palette becomes a little chaotic.

Looking back at it, it's not at all apparent that we're over a lava pool. I was hoping for more of a daytime = Light from above, Night = Light from below, but the daylight definitely didn't work as intended, and the light from below doesn't really read Lava.

I'll definitely have to sit down and work through light as its own dedicated third of the project, rather than mostly an afterthought. Good feedback though, thanks. I never imagined that literally every point of light and color contributes to the overall theme of a scene.

There's a Third Mac in this scene. Though only indirectly can you discover it (and really only at night). ;) Have fun.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    next challenge recreate a room from the ns1 map bast.

Yes yes! How about that cockpit part of the map? You remember the one after you pass the revolving doors!
    Thats awsome!!! and it would fit very good for ns2_fracture!
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    @Yojimbo @deathshroud This exercise isn't really the place for rebuilding a map. People are free to build what they like, provided it fits the requirements, but it has to come from a point of creativity, not assigning people a room.

@Saffron_baker Think smaller next time! These are meant to spur you on to make a small, doable thing. Reduce the scope of your plan, and delete less. Just go with it and see what you end up with. :)

I prepared a few more screenshots, and put my entry (containing both .level files) on the workshop: ns2_sde3_lit

In my hurry to get these done I realized that as I was preparing the mod, I neglected to replace the light props with their lit versions for the night version. You'll notice it in the screenshots as well. I'll fix both the mod and the screenshots at a later point. Herpaderp!

I also have about 8 hours of footage of me making this entry, which I will edit into a couple of episodes and a timelapse again.

Screenshot 1:
    9pBdxGA.jpg
    sv4ZmPc.jpg

Screenshot 2:
    Pkjhuc6.jpg
    KuADYdH.jpg

Screenshot 3:
    jQxUW7c.jpg
    8tkzLZw.jpg

Screenshot 4:
    DwvLbI8.jpg
    Zn2p7EB.jpg

redesigning a room is being creative :)
    redesigning a room is being creative :)

I'm not debating that, you know what I mean. :P And I am not saying creating a HD/next-gen version of something old wouldn't work for this exercise, but I feel NS1 probably dictates what it should look like in NS2 too much. I feel it's too recent-gen to get varied results from different people.

If you, however, want to organize something like that I am all for it, and may even take part in it myself.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    AltF4 wrote: »
    Only a few hours before that I learned about a building by Le Corbusier, his architecture is a lot about light(silly) and easy concrete-constructions so I thought this might fit quite well.

This one? I stayed here (its a convent) for about a week some years ago. Awesome building.
    stringio.jpg?1414205768

• AltF4AltF4 Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22587Members
    oh man i totally forgot about this one

yes @CCTEE it is, you clearly picked a much more interesting viewpoint :).

@Flaterectomy your feedback helped me a lot, much appreciated. did some work with textures and extruding on the right wall, looked more scifi but also more concept-less :).

Concerning that window-reflection effect: it is awfull. I don't know if it has so many flaws because of the engine itself or because of the probs, since the glass texture seems to look a bit better but works horrible confusing in alien vision (which makes it a rookie-unfriendly-trap).
    When I stand in observation or terminal looking out the window I feel more like a toy-vampire in his blister and immersion is almost zero, but in flight control or atrium the windows work quite well. I would avoid mapping a scenery like this and do the windows like they did in eh, old veil/eclipse or lucid.
    I think reflections are a crucial element in games immersion, I don't know about new AAA stuff but recently I played duke nukem 3d and was very pleased about the bathrooms, after getting sick of all mirrors in deus ex hr beeing dull :D
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @Flaterectomy any more exercises coming soon?
    I always wanted to be able to join in on the exercise myself, but right now I am in a good flow of completing Caged and am wanting to spend my mapping time doing that. So I may have to start a new one without taking part in it myself.

How many people are interested in taking part in a new assignment? Kindly reply in this thread if you do! :smiley:
    me
    this time i got some more experience¨
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I'd like to, but it depends on how much time I have and the challenge itself if I will.