'AURORA FALLS' - A Subnautica story.

Comments

• ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Loved seeing the whole plumb tree discussion from you brought into your story but the placeholder theory was correct, they are actual edible fruit now. No lead found.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Aww, poor warper. Yet another reason to declare war on humanity...
  • GoochinatorGoochinator America Join Date: 2016-01-07 Member: 211040Members
    Loved seeing the whole plumb tree discussion from you brought into your story but the placeholder theory was correct, they are actual edible fruit now. No lead found.

Except that they seem to be poisonous. At least in experimental.
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    And people were complaining for months that there are no lethal weapons in the game...
  • jamal42jamal42 Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212867Members
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    I'd hazard a guess that the Magellan mission teams didn't have much time to reflect upon the complete botch they'd made of their First Contact situation. According to Joubert and Sokol's log entries, an autopsy was performed on the dead Warper. Joubert's report on the organism was only partially complete, suggesting that she was in the process of collating her findings when the landslide struck. I wouldn't go as far as saying that I had to prise the PDA from Mme. Joubert's skeletal fingers. It was probably most likely that she put the report aside while she took a coffee break. Several thousand tons of base-destroying rubble and two years later, Yours Truly comes along looking for some answers. Mind you, it's bloody tempting to try connecting the death of the Warper with the destruction of two Alterra field research stations, although I'd prefer to hold off making any wild assumptions until I have command of some decent facts. If there's a vendetta at work here, there's absolutely nothing preventing the Warpers from making me their next target.

As far as I could determine, this entire affair was nothing more sinister than a series of horrible mistakes. Even more to the point, it was also a potentially huge distraction from my primary objective of getting rescued. In the meantime, I'll worry about it when the Warpers come a-knocking on my front door. Adopt a purely defensive posture, don't go poking around in deep, dark places, drop another perimeter cordon of sonobuoys and always keep your wits about you. Honestly, you can't do much more than that.

Designing the beacon ship Bifrost required a fair bit of serious consideration. Terra is 175 light years distant, and tachyon burst transmissions would take 18 months to arrive without outside assistance. Fortunately, Aurora seeded a number of automated relay stations during her voyage to Manannán. The down side is, Bifrost will need to reach the outer boundary of the Alpha Hydrae system before it can uplink with the tachyon relay system and finally transmit the Mayday call. That's a distance of 20,000 AU, or 0.3 light years away. Here's the problem... The test vehicle Stovepipe One used a gravity repulsion drive that seemed to work tolerably well, if a wee smidgeon on the slow side. JUNO calculated that its terminal velocity would reach 0.5 of light speed if it could maintain a constant acceleration of 1g for six months. No doubt that our plucky little vessel is still beetling along at a fairly respectable clip, although it's probably doing closer to 0.01 per cent of light speed at the moment. You can do the sums this time.

The obvious solution (for me, at any rate) was to build a hybrid drive system.

A gravity repulsion drive is fine for breaking atmo, although I suspect that it wouldn't sustain any decent level of acceleration once it had passed beyond the gravitational influence of its point of origin. As soon as the ship enters another planet's gravity field it might pick up the pace again, although that level of progress would make it an infuriatingly slow trip through the system. I had something nice and old-fashioned in mind; namely a Bussard ramjet and ion engines. The gravity repulsion drive would accelerate Bifrost to a point where its Bussard magnetic ram-scoop was able to collect enough interstellar hydrogen to fuel a number of ion engines. To be honest, the thrust obtained from an ion engine is fairly weak tea, although it would provide constant acceleration in a less hazardous and more energy-efficient reaction. There has to be an acceptable trade-off somewhere along the line. Bearing in mind what has already transpired here, I'm pretty certain that other Alpha Hydrae locals wouldn't appreciate a monstrous DIY 'Project PLUTO' nuclear ramjet blasting through their star system, so I've decided to use the adorably wimpy ion engine propulsion system instead.

Now, if you'll excuse me... I have a lot of work to do.
    I feel like that last line was quite literal for our author.
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    This is a lot of fun to read :) Can't wait for him to see the Shroom base :D
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    edited February 2016
    Didn't he already see that?

Edit: Yes, he did, page 4:
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    It was an Alterra Corp sea base. Smashed to pieces.
  • CrypervillaCrypervilla US Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213026Members
    JUNO is going to be like Master Chief's Cortana. Hope she dresses a bit more though. Nice story by the way.
  • jamal42jamal42 Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212867Members
    this is the best story i've ever read
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I thought long and hard about how JUNO might manifest herself. Left entirely to my discretion, that would be unfair and utterly demeaning. JUNO is entitled to her own opinion in this discussion.

This is going to be fun! =D

• rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    hah! easter egg found! I love portal!
  • nightcloud99nightcloud99 The Rockies, Canada Join Date: 2016-01-27 Member: 212162Members
    Haha the first avatar that popped into my head was shodan! Good times, your writing style reminds me a lot of the recent Armada book by Ernest Cline.

Both reads are just as engaging! Love it.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Looks like System Shock and Portal are popular even in the far-flung future!
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited February 2016
    Woa i love where this is going. After reading the first few chapters of the story i was wondering if Bugzapper would go into developping the survivor's need of interraction with ''real peoples'' -- as real as JUNO can be to the survivor anyway. Also, as far as libido killer, im sticking to my ''The Doctor'' avatar, from Star Trek Voyager :D theres nothing human-looking thatll cut your desires more than him :p
    Dinkelsen wrote: »
    Didn't he already see that?

Edit: Yes, he did, page 4:
    It was an Alterra Corp sea base. Smashed to pieces.

My bad, I forgot about that :P I should go re-read that.
    edited February 2016
    Might pick up a few items from the storage lockers before I turn in, though. Silicone, computer chips, myomer fibre bundles and an advanced wiring harness or two. Got another small side project on the go at the moment. Basically a 'hobby' sort of thing. Not a big deal.

I'll be in my bunk. ;)

he might want to pick up extra silicones too. You know :p
  • nightcloud99nightcloud99 The Rockies, Canada Join Date: 2016-01-27 Member: 212162Members
    I hope there's a protein resequencer in the habitat. Haha okay that's all from me.
    I hope there's a protein resequencer in the habitat. Haha okay that's all from me.

There is. It's hooked up to the Galley.

Even more handy than a Thermomix.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    This has probably been asked already, but I take it that there's no chance the Valkyrie Field was able to "save" scans of other people prior to the crash that JUNO could recover? Or is it only available for the life pods?
    This has probably been asked already, but I take it that there's no chance the Valkyrie Field was able to "save" scans of other people prior to the crash that JUNO could recover? Or is it only available for the life pods?

LifePods only, I'm afraid.
    Have you seen the... update.. to certain relics of the past that I don't want to give too much spoilers about? If so, is the story going to reflect that, or are you going to continue working with the build you had when you started the story?
    Have you seen the... update.. to certain relics of the past that I don't want to give too much spoilers about? If so, is the story going to reflect that, or are you going to continue working with the build you had when you started the story?

Haven't seen the update yet. However, I'll be keeping an eye on what comes down the pipe.

If a game revision looks like it might break the storyline of 'Aurora Falls', I'll have to put in a bit of retcon work.

Won't be too happy about it, but we can't have the 'tale' wagging the dog, can we? ;)
    edited February 2016

Haven't seen the update yet. However, I'll be keeping an eye on what comes down the pipe.

If a game revision looks like it might break the storyline of 'Aurora Falls', I'll have to put in a bit of retcon work.

Won't be too happy about it, but we can't have the 'tale' wagging the dog, can we? ;)
    Well, there were some pretty major updates to the Floater Island & base. Also changes to the Blood Kelp, Koosh zone, and potentially a few others.

They've also added a short-range communicator, but it doesn't do anything but test messages yet.

Pretty sure there's more updates coming as far as the Mushroom base goes as well, though that's not in yet. From what I hear, they're planning to add wrecks (and maybe bases? I don't remember) to every biome as well.