[Bug] Severe FPS Drop Nearby and Aboard the Cyclops [27764]

BoltWardenBoltWarden Canada Join Date: 2016-01-14 Member: 211402Members
Since the lighting pass that was introduced with 'A Flood of Dead Bugs' I have been experiencing extreme performance drops ALMOST unconditionally around my Cyclops. The weirdest thing about this was... I believe it was daytime, I was near the surface, and I had stopped in a new bio and suddenly the massive fps drop I had been experiencing on the Cyclops, completely disappeared. For reference I am play with '-force-d3d9' as I am a member of the currently troubled Radeon 6XXXHD demographic.

I will try to better isolate the conditions where this massive performance hit goes away.

Comments

• BoltWardenBoltWarden Canada Join Date: 2016-01-14 Member: 211402Members
    Whoa... okay...

So I have 12 Solar Panels on my Cyclops, I have been operating like this for awhile.

To be more specific about the before mentioned FPS drop, I was being forced down to 1-5 fps under this 'mystery' slow down.

I mentioned that I had experienced this FPS drop going away, I was able to reproduce this with my fps returning to my 'regular' 18-26 fps (This is quite playable for me, I love this game way too much to care about subpar fps :PP)

I notice my fps smoothly return to my playable average as my Cyclops solar panels finished charging.... I understand that modular solar panels on the Cyclops are on the cutting board... I will continue to lookout to see if this issue is more pervasive than my questionable Cyclops situation. ;P
    Hrmm... FPS drop is back, but the Cyclops is fully charged..

Also seems like certain times of day factor in differently??

Looks like I still don't understand this issue very well.
    Reduce Performance whenever I'm piloting the Seamoth as well.
    I guess it's time for me to take a break from Subnautica for how :(

Good luck on the continued developement of this awesome game guys! :D
  • Cupr1cCupr1c Join Date: 2016-01-27 Member: 212171Members
    Just today I started having this problem as well. build #28009 AMD Radeon 280X video card. I have no solar panels on cyclops. If I'm patient and swim out past the cyclops then fps is restored, but then when i swim closed to either it or a base, fps drops again. I spent all of last night building a rather large base, so I don't know if the game is trying to load too many objects at once and it's eating game resources. Also changing the graphic options does not change the problem.

Thanks for all your hard work!
  • Cupr1cCupr1c Join Date: 2016-01-27 Member: 212171Members
    Bumped the build back to #27764 and had the same issue. But, when I created a new game, there was no problem, indicating that my specific game file has the issue, not the game itself. Hope that helps
  • ZetlinZetlin Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212463Members
    try removing the solar panels? dev confirmed they were a bug, and the ability to place them on the cyclops was removed.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    I've been having a similar (not as bad) issue, where looking at the cyclops, having it nearby, and piloting it all cause lag, and stack. I'm only reduced to around 15 FPS, but since I normally cruse at almost 30, it's pretty painful. I notice that the controls also become less responsive, as if getting aboard the Cyclops slows down the game as a whole. Running on an Nvidia 635m, Intel i7 quad, 8 gb RAM
  • BritishkidBritishkid Portland, OR Join Date: 2017-02-24 Member: 228219Members
    This actually just started happening to me all of a sudden. I have a pretty fast rig and tge game has been running silky smooth on max settings up until now. Turns out all I had to do was remove a single locker and everything went back to normal! Wierd but there you go lol