'AURORA FALLS' - A Subnautica story.

Comments

• EpicIan60142EpicIan60142 Illinois Join Date: 2015-08-18 Member: 207263Members
    holy crap this has been seen by 5.1K people :-O! Keep up the good work Bugzapper!
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Well, colour me impressed. That's a decent number of views for this little yarn.

Many thanks to all who are following this story.

The writing part is easy. Getting and holding the attention of an audience is the tricky part.
    I'll try to get it right and keep it tight. :)

Cheers, folks.
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    You have me captured. :-)
    Love your story and even started to call the game-AI "Juno" in my games...
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    wait, they accidentally shot a death-laser from a ship without any death-lasers toward the north-pole of a planet causing global warming?
    that is an amazing piece of bad luck.
    I am really torn between calling this Deus-ex-machina and genius plot writing.
    edited January 2016
    lorcogoth wrote: »
    wait, they accidentally shot a death-laser from a ship without any death-lasers toward the north-pole of a planet causing global warming?
    that is an amazing piece of bad luck.
    I am really torn between calling this Deus-ex-machina and genius plot writing.

I'm inclined towards the 'incredibly bad luck' train of thought. ;)
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    The solar plasma struck a small but dense cluster of charged particles that had accumulated during Aurora's flight at warp speed, forming a miniature nebula at the ship's bow. The additional energy injected into this nebula 'pumped' the charged particles as if they were inside a laser tube. This effect rapidly accelerated the particles directly into Aurora's shields initially, and when they were subsequently repelled, a highly dense, coherent pulse of supercharged particles surged forward like the blast of a Dreadnaught's main cannon.

''nosebleed''
    ''brainbleed''
    ''dies from severe internal bleeding''
    ''re-appears inside the lifepod @ 50% hunger''

• ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    No wonder the inhabitants fought back.
  • Obnoxious_GamerObnoxious_Gamer Cyclops Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210938Members
    No wonder the inhabitants fought back.

When you shoot someone with a massive death-beam, they tend to not be in the "ask questions" mood.
  • SmashSuperMarioSmashSuperMario Italy Join Date: 2016-01-31 Member: 212404Members
    Yo, i'll soon open a thread with the story, but translated in italian, starting today with the first two parts (not chapters :p). It will take about half an hour to translate them :)
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    Really can't wait for the next part! I started reading this not expecting much, but you've lived up to Subnautica's potential, and done very well as a storyteller too! The characters' development over time is interesting, and their inferences about things (such as the wrecked bases) are even more so. Pretty much making this my headcannon for Subnautica now!
    @LeakingAmps

Thank you, and welcome aboard! :)
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    I really hope to see a line like: "I had the feeling I was being watched and that was when I saw it in the distance, just with the corner of my eye, peering at me from around a rock" and then have him describe the intellegent organism (hopefully warpers are your planned intelligent species)
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    Now it stikes me from where I know the name "Disco Volante". Wasn't that a yacht in a (actually two) James Bond films? Fireball and... was it Never say Never?
    @Dinkelsen Another Easter Egg spotted! Have a cookie! :)

The James Bond movie in question was 'Thunderball'. One of my favourite 007 films.

'Disco Volante' was the name of Number Two SPECTRE agent Emilio Largo's motor yacht. The name means 'flying saucer' in Italian.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited February 2016
    I love your explanation for how the floaters feed. I wonder what your character will make of the underwater islands.
    I would love to see your character discover the base and just barely explore it before feeling the ground beneath him shudder and then realize that the island was sinking because a floater or two was disturbed by something. Then the brave hero he is he will position the cyclops under the island to try to stop the beautiful island from sinking to the depths of the ocean. Now that would be exciting!
  • Obnoxious_GamerObnoxious_Gamer Cyclops Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210938Members
    I would love to see your character discover the base and just barely explore it before feeling the ground beneath him shudder and then realize that the island was sinking because a floater or two was disturbed by something. Then the brave hero he is he will position the cyclops under the island to try to stop the beautiful island from sinking to the depths of the ocean. Now that would be exciting!

That would make no sense, at all, whatsoever.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    Just finished reading the whole thing (taken me about 7hrs of solid reading time.....) +1 rep
    Please continue!

Of course it makes no sense! It would just be exciting to see the island start to sink!

Of course it makes no sense! It would just be exciting to see the island start to sink!

Not really, and I was referring to his action of 'saving' the island. Why would the main character risk a frickin' CYCLOPS just to save a random floating island? A logical reaction would be more along the lines of "lol sucks to be you."

Not really, and I was referring to his action of 'saving' the island. Why would the main character risk a frickin' CYCLOPS just to save a random floating island? A logical reaction would be more along the lines of "lol sucks to be you."

You monster! All that rare beautiful life has developed on that island that will be destroyed if it sunk! It is super rare considering the whole planet is water! Also Cyclops are not that hard to make, i usually make 2 in my games anyway. Also Bugzapper doesnt want the comments full of arguing so lets stop here :)
    Patience. All will be revealed in the fullness of time. ;)