Bootcamp Update - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Scout255Scout255 Canada Join Date: 2015-01-24 Member: 201015Members, NS2 Map Tester
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Half the servers won't show up in the browser no matter how many times I update (or refresh) the list... So now there are servers I regularly play on (all of them favorited) that won't show in the list no matter what I do... So I can't play on them..

To temporarily fix that, you can use the Steam interface instead. Just start up that "servers" list and filter for Natural Selection. Not ideal, but does show you ALL servers once more :)

Thanks... I realized that after my initial rant post lol.

Not sure what the problem could be. I checked it again and it's not even the same servers.. Like earlier IBIS wouldn't show up but now it is, whereas DMD#1 showed up earlier and I can't see it now.

Still they need to fix the things they did to the server browser. It was fine back before the PDT started working on things again.

I've had this problem the last 3 patches, the only way I could fix it was to verify my game cache and each time that fixed it. Give it a whirl it may work for you.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Someone said all servers were full and play now sent him to a 200 ping server.

And really, any perceived advantages a high pinger has are the same advantages you have against the high pinger. Not sure what you are complaining about. Unless the person has an unstable connection and is warping, but people with 15 ping can warp too.

If you have a high ping (>130), you can rush in a room, check left corner, check right corner, empty a clip on the skulk and move on. You will barely see the skulk model move. Because by the time you do all that, he only sees you entering the room.

Playable or not ? it's a matter of opinion, and how you play the game. But for sure it transforms you into a deadly ghost if you know how to exploit it. VPN users are the worst.

This raise a question. How does the game deal with huge latency gaps ? When mr 200ping meets mr 30ping... So far i see a good fade have a bigger impact on games when he's lagging...

Bullshit. A rookie skulk, maybe. The first corner, maybe. And it still doesn't change the fact that the advantage you have over the person you are engaging is a disadvantage every one else engaging you. It evens out.

But sure, feel free to play with a vpn against non rookies and prove me wrong.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Quick warning to serv ops running modded rookie only servers. I was speccing a game last night with a couple other vets and the match ended. They voted to shuffle with shine and myself and another vet got placed on teams. I was going to leave, but team asked me to command. I figured not much harm in that and agreed to stay, the other dude said he'd "be good." Well I commed and he lerked and destroyed my poor team. After my team finally killed him, he faded. Was extremely scummy of this player, and so you know @Rusty, this was on your rookie only server. Granted, I played too, but stayed in the chair. Anyways just an FYI that maybe that should be looked into if you haven't already noticed this.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    2cough wrote: »
    Quick warning to serv ops running modded rookie only servers. I was speccing a game last night with a couple other vets and the match ended. They voted to shuffle with shine and myself and another vet got placed on teams. I was going to leave, but team asked me to command. I figured not much harm in that and agreed to stay, the other dude said he'd "be good." Well I commed and he lerked and destroyed my poor team. After my team finally killed him, he faded. Was extremely scummy of this player, and so you know @Rusty, this was on your rookie only server. Granted, I played too, but stayed in the chair. Anyways just an FYI that maybe that should be looked into if you haven't already noticed this.

I retract my previous post regarding letting vets command for rookie only servers, though the majority of the community is good, helpful veteran players, there is still a minority that will ruin it for everyone, I'd rather the temptation wasn't there to begin with.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Bullshit. A rookie skulk, maybe. The first corner, maybe. And it still doesn't change the fact that the advantage you have over the person you are engaging is a disadvantage every one else engaging you. It evens out.

Nope. As i said "if you know how to exploit it". Meaning adapting your playstyle just a little.

A soon as a player is supposed to win a 1on1 in normal condition, it's a sure shot with lag. especially catching the target by surprise. Better for a Lerk or a Fade against a single marine building a PG. It's where the impact on a game is bigger. Against a potent high lifeform player, no strategy can apply as long as the lifeform survives. Problem is with that lag, he tends to survive far more than usual. I mean, who after several hundreds NS2 hours never saw a game in which only one laggy fade guy have several times more kill than the rest of his team ? It's clearly not a exceptional thing for me.

I mean even in an Ok environment where all players have a good ping you can see that the player you engage is aiming at the previous location you were. Increase pings and it goes derelict visually speaking. Poor engine performance or not, it happens.

The only counter would be both opponent would anticipate more and end in a jumping dance like flying in a twister. No worries, for a Fade. Let's go somewhere else (no greed), kill another target and back to target 1 caught by surprise this time.

Yes i tested this with high ping as low ping and behind a VPN too on multiple builds. With ping 30, I wouldn't dare to do the things i can do with a +130ping. Lag wins. It's, in fact, not a NS2 thing but all online games. A long as the "tick system" is there it'll be like that.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I think you are over exaggerating the ping impact there bud. Back in the day when there actually was a large comp scene, high ping scrims/pcws are all we played. There is an impact for both parties regarding ping.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    2cough wrote: »

I retract my previous post regarding letting vets command for rookie only servers, though the majority of the community is good, helpful veteran players, there is still a minority that will ruin it for everyone, I'd rather the temptation wasn't there to begin with.

Definitely. As much as I really want to be able to join one of these servers to command, I'm glad I can't because it means the playing field is as even as any ns2 match will ever get.
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited January 2016
    (impact of ping ingame, realizing it's going off topic, moving this to a spoiler box)
    I think you do not know what a true lag is. I will explain you by splitting lag into two things: ping and network quality.

You have the most high-tech car, it's fast, clean, good suspension, climatisation, etc. Even if you are going for a long ride it's going to be confortable. It does not matter if it took half a second or 5 seconds. It's always going to take the same amount of time, you won't have any accident and won't have to stop inbetween.

Now try to take a really old one (you know that one owned by your grandpa who got it from his father, the old rusted one). Going for a ride on it is a nightmare and it does not even go straight, and by the time you try to avoid a wall you are already on it. After going out and pushing the car on the right way, the engine is also overeating, you barely see where you are going but at least you can keep breathing because the smoke is not too heavy for now. At this point you are happy because you are on the right road again.

Now imagine all of this being drunk and you will have a pretty fair idea of what "walking" as a marine feels like. I just played a game a few minutes ago and will tell you in game what it really is :)
    1. Trying to follow a teammate is nearly impossible without hitting every wall on the way ("follow me" -> "I am trying !")
    2. Trying to reload ? nop, out of band packet the animation is stuck. If you are lucky you only need to change to axe and back to weapon 1 to reload again (if not 2, 3, 4, or five more try). If not, the weapon is destroyed somehow.
    3. Trying to shoot ? nop, by the time you empty the clip it's full again (but you have to reload of course, go back to step 2)
    4. Congrat, you shot a skulk, oh nevermind he already got the time to kill you several times. Respawning
    5. Shotgun are up, (cool), going to buy one ? nop, I am taking your res but you endup with only a receip. Buy it again for 20 more res
    6. You are in bar a bit far and got your first kill (congrat), you are now running back to the armory to refill your shotgun. Too bad a rollback in front of 3 skulks at the exact moment they are bitting you (and a rookie picked your 40 res gun)
    7. Ok, going for mines and a GL then. Oh nevermind the 3s it took to shot a single grenade someone goes in front of the GL. Mines ? after 10 try to clip them to a wall they are finally placed. In fact the only kill you have on the game was because of this mine.
    8. The com is off, maybe try. Murphy's law: gorge rush and you need to beacon :) have a nice day.

That was a moment where the connexion was pretty bad.

A ping up to 350 can be exploited I agree, in case the connexion is reliable and powerfull (and do not ask me to split again under an upload and download part). But in my case even a ping as low as 50 can be a pain. Most of the time ping and network quality can be linked together but not always.

Nope. As i said "if you know how to exploit it". Meaning adapting your playstyle just a little.

A soon as a player is supposed to win a 1on1 in normal condition, it's a sure shot with lag. especially catching the target by surprise. Better for a Lerk or a Fade against a single marine building a PG. It's where the impact on a game is bigger. Against a potent high lifeform player, no strategy can apply as long as the lifeform survives. Problem is with that lag, he tends to survive far more than usual. I mean, who after several hundreds NS2 hours never saw a game in which only one laggy fade guy have several times more kill than the rest of his team ? It's clearly not a exceptional thing for me.

I mean even in an Ok environment where all players have a good ping you can see that the player you engage is aiming at the previous location you were. Increase pings and it goes derelict visually speaking. Poor engine performance or not, it happens.

The only counter would be both opponent would anticipate more and end in a jumping dance like flying in a twister. No worries, for a Fade. Let's go somewhere else (no greed), kill another target and back to target 1 caught by surprise this time.

Yes i tested this with high ping as low ping and behind a VPN too on multiple builds. With ping 30, I wouldn't dare to do the things i can do with a +130ping. Lag wins. It's, in fact, not a NS2 thing but all online games. A long as the "tick system" is there it'll be like that.

I'd agree with you if you tone it down. Look, your examples are ridiculously exaggerated. Fades are loud, you aren't surprising anyone without silence. And you are ignoring the issue of that player being vulnerable to the same. Do your high ping players get super high deaths too?

Regardless, my point was that the difference isn't that significant really. I'm really not into arguing whether its a advantage or disadvantage. You aren't going to be disorientated and you aren't beating better players or losing to worse players.
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    Off-topic:
    Lag creates many in-game discrepancies. It's most evident in NS because of the different speed for each lifeform. But it's the reality of online games.

It just makes me sad because the higher the lag between players, the more cautions and less reactive (more planned movement) an alien need to be. Which means less over commitment. Which can mean less fun.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    The next thing that has to be adressed ASAP is the 0 point 1000 point rookie problematic wich is discussed here:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/139798/different-scores-for-rookies/p1

Small example why:
    A new player start with 1000 point on the rookie only servers and leave the rookie status with an score of 1112 after 15 hrs.
    So on a vanilla server wich is not showing the skill points of each player, he might look like an average pub player, especial when he owned a com-badge in his rookie time.
    But he isnt. He is far away from an average player.
    Had some "great" rounds today.
    Both teams had an average skill of around 1100 (wich is not that bad on paper), but 3/4 of the aliens (no rookie status and some with com badge) had zero clue what they are doing.

These 1000 point rookies are the source of huge inbalance.

Solution:
    Introduce the new formular from the thread above and show the skill of each player without the need of NS+.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    Hive 2.0 is being worked on. It will be addressed with that.

edit: Regardless of your thoughts on moultanos skill system hive 2.0 will be much improved.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Nordic wrote: »

Don't give hopes. If it's based on the same principles, it'll fail.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

Don't give hopes. If it's based on the same principles, it'll fail.

You could say my hopes have been.... crunched.
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members

Yeah if it's not too late.... 4 years and no matchmaking, 4 years and more stack, 4 years and more smurfs...
    Just to remind everyone we already exedeed the "3 months" of the dev come back, and still nothing beside 40% trad in japanese...
    It's a fact, you can disagree all you want but we are more than 3 months away now. It's hard to beat defeatism when everything is against you.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Tinki wrote: »

Yeah if it's not too late.... 4 years and no matchmaking, 4 years and more stack, 4 years and more smurfs...
    Just to remind everyone we already exedeed the "3 months" of the dev come back, and still nothing beside 40% trad in japanese...
    It's a fact, you can disagree all you want but we are more than 3 months away now. It's hard to beat defeatism when everything is against you.

3 months ends march 10.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue

It's hard to take someone as anything but a depressed moaning whiner when after 3 weeks, they think 3 months has passed. Yours must be a sad lonely world..
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

It's hard to take someone as anything but a depressed moaning whiner when after 3 weeks, they think 3 months has passed. Yours must be a sad lonely world..

3 weeks?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

3 weeks?

Hey, what can I say, my life is so full I lose track of time, it's what 6-7 weeks?
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    edited January 2016
    dePARA wrote: »
    ...especial when he owned a com-badge in his rookie time.

Please tell me this will be changed. The badge is supposed to show players with true commander experience. A rookie server is not the same. That is why it is called boot camp for crying out loud. The players should not be considered marines yet. They are recruits.

Right now the best marine strat on a rookie server is to place sentry guns in every room. :neutral:

Rookie games last more than an hour very often. Map control goes back and forth without the players even knowing how to end it. All of that time counts as commander experience? Five random wins and the guy gets a badge?

Maybe just let them earn an hour of the time while green.

Come to think of it, commanders don't get points so they can be green for a loooooong time.
    Locklear wrote: »
    You could say my hopes have been.... crunched.
    I truly wished I couldn't.
    The only thing to do is to keep the game data but reset / redo properly everything else.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited February 2016
    I don't get the complaints about this patch, except the rather valid observation rookie status should be lost at a higher level, maybe 5 instead of 3. This is a brilliant idea for the game in general.

To those people who complain there are no servers any more, your screen shots have pictured you with a max ping set - in one case 124! So you probably have never played on a Russian, Chinese, Brazilian or Japanese server, which can be a lot of fun, plus is kind of good for learning new things.

To all the people saying a high ping is an advantage which is why they don't play above 200 ping, wow, your altruistic nature has completely reversed my pessimism about the selfish nature of humanity. Really it has. What a load of rubbish.

Also: "To temporarily fix that, you can use the Steam interface instead." - blaspheme! burn in the fires of eternal damnation!
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited February 2016
    Yeah it's tons of fun lagging all over the place while listening to people speaking languages that are nothing but gibberish to you...

Oh and lag isn't an advantage huh? That's why people who always lag (like aussies or asians with their 250-500 ping) are almost always carrying their team while the other team constantly complains about them warping all over the place...

Because warping couldn't possibly make you harder to hit...

When a player with 50 ping sees one thing and the guy with 250 sees something else it should ALWAYS go with what the 50 pinger is seeing.

Dying to a 200-500+ pinger when you have 50 ping and on your screen they did NOT get the kill is something that should never happen... Yet anyone who has played NS2 knows how common it is to die to a high pinger AFTER you round a corner.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    Yeah it's tons of fun lagging all over the place while listening to people speaking languages that are nothing but gibberish to you...

Oh and lag isn't an advantage huh? That's why people who always lag (like aussies or asians with their 250-500 ping) are almost always carrying their team while the other team constantly complains about them warping all over the place...

When a player with 50 ping sees one thing and the guy with 250 sees something else it should ALWAYS go with what the 50 pinger is seeing.

Dying to a 200-500+ pinger when you have 50 ping and on your screen they did NOT get the kill is something that should never happen... Yet anyone who has played NS2 knows how common it is to die to a high pinger AFTER you round a corner.

well hit detection is server side so even though the guy might be laggin like crazy hes going to miss a lot of bites as a skulk even when hes right next to the marine

Sigh. Warping and lagging are too different things. You can warp with an average of 50 ping because your connection is unstable and the person with 200 ping may never warp because he has a stable connection. Also, correlation is not causation. Try again. Maybe you can get a video of yourself carrying while lagging all over the place in an Asian or Australian server. You might also want to point out those people who carry in American servers but fail locally.

Your suggestion of going with the "50 ping" is ridiculous. It will just make everyone out of sync because obviously the 0 ping server is the only solution and you will see massive no regs and rubber banding from collisions.

Nobody is saying you don't die around corners. But you know what? That one high pinger that you are so terrified of that kills you around corners has to deal with everyone else on the server killing him around corners. The horror.

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    This ^

Higher ping =/= packet loss. Also the getting-shot-around-corners thing happens for the person with high ping too.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    why the hell should I play on servers were i cannot communicate with anyone? That's literally working around the problem instead addressing the problem.
    Nobody is saying you don't die around corners. But you know what? That one high pinger that you are so terrified of that kills you around corners has to deal with everyone else on the server killing him around corners. The horror.

Not as long as he's has the necessary speed to flee. Fade... Lerks... You have to move constantly and make sure your moves are unpredictable (like not getting away flying in straight lines especially close to that escape doorway) or difficult to track (Which for some has become a specialty).

This game always had a problem with lag vs speed. That's why the skulk was transformed into a brick (speed reduction). That forced modifications on maps (with other things) in order to compensate that technical problem. Those who thought they could play NS2 like NS1 (HL netcode) were kind of disappointed since the beginning. It's up to a point you can't kill a potent Marine in Lockers Room (or Ball Court) unless you get 3 skulks in there. You know he will kill one, cripple if not kill the second, and die if he's unlucky (and no medpacks). I mean the distances are quite small if you open the editor and look at it. There is obviously a problem. I'm not judging i know the many obstacles any programmer faces when dealing with this... mess. A "Netgraph" command like in HL would have been of great help.

Ask any good Lerk (those who survive). They don't kill more because of some clever ninja ambushes. They kill more because they know when to hit and how to use the lag/speed (default Lerk speed is better than skulks) to their advantages. Otherwise, a Lerk would be a fried chicken most of the time. I'm not even good at high lifeforms, but it's clear that using "this" works fine for survivors. And every time I do it works.

The only times I could kill those speedy laggy dudes was when they finally make a mistake (fade -> no adrenaline left, lerk caught by surprise/wounded/no other possible exit). It's like you're in some kind of ether in which bullets tend to become bubble gum bullet as much as your ping gets bigger.

Yes it's playable, but it cripples the experience for anyone else. Especially as we are now in 2016...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    There's just so much misinformation that's being purported in here by people who don't understand how it works..
    I am glad @Aeglos cleared up latency =/= packet loss or connection quality at least.

Put simply: Higher latency only provides an advantage to the attacking / "first to come around the corner" player. However, that very same player is at a proportional disadvantage when escaping the room.
    (there is no "know how to use lag to their advantage" as an escaping lerk, unclecrunch..)

This applies to either team and any modern game, really.
    Anyone who cries foul that there is an advantage for them doesn't understand when those very same players are at a proportional disadvantage.

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    IronHorse wrote: »
    This applies to either team and any modern game, really.

Quite so. It's just that people think it's more prominent here because things move considerably faster and due to the lagging playerbase, its often that you have to compromise ping to play.