Gorge tunnel text change of colour? Yay or Nay?

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited January 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
For quite some time now on public servers I seem to struggle differentiating which tunnel goes where, especially in large servers, if you have 4 or more tunnels in the hive, its very hard to read which tunnel leads to which location as the text effectively blends into the hive surroundings, I suggest we maybe change the colour to something easier for rookies and even veterans to recognise, blue? green? purple?

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    In addition, I would suggest adding a little arrow on top of gorge tunnel entrances. They have low profiles and can be difficult to see in cluttered alien bases.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What color should the text change to?
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well that's for you to decide lol
  • FursFurs Join Date: 2013-09-20 Member: 188365Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Discord copy/past as to why Nay :)
    Yojimbo - Today at 1:51 AM
    It needs o to differentiate from rest of the background 
    Furs - Today at 1:51 AM
    like poop* said, the text doesnt show fast enough
    so you wander around anyway
    Yojimbo - Today at 1:51 AM
    Specially if infestation is similar color 
    Furs - Today at 1:51 AM
    and tbh i never read the text sofar i think
    check map, goto right tunnel, profit
    Yojimbo - Today at 1:52 AM
    It's not that easy when they are close to the hive
    With some closed 
    Some open dude
    I'll prove it with screenshots 
    Furs - Today at 1:52 AM
    make sure to include a map picture at the samet ime
    Yojimbo - Today at 1:52 AM
    I will post so many screenshots you won't have anything to say lol 
    Furs - Today at 1:52 AM
    i think what you want is different color coded tunnels
    and that both visable on the minimap/map
    Yojimbo - Today at 1:53 AM
    What I want is something the Devs could change in 10 minutes as it will most likely be considered 
    Furs - Today at 1:53 AM
    that text is useless
    as color of the text you need to read doesnt say a thing
    Yojimbo - Today at 1:54 AM
    Text first and if it becomes popular 
    Furs - Today at 1:54 AM
    you read it if its yellow/brown/purple or whatever to know wher eit go's
    Yojimbo - Today at 1:54 AM
    Maybe it'll get enhanced 
    Your idea is better
    But requires more work
    Furs - Today at 1:54 AM
    not seeing any benefit over different color text over just 1 color text

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think it is too hard to find a tunnel. I do not use the text to find it. I may not have issue, but if Yojimbo does I can imagine rookies having trouble too. Still though, I will not vote for "Change the color" but I would vote for "Change the color to __________" if the color made sense. I just can't think of a good color. Red, Green, Yellow, Brown, orange, and blue will not work. I can not think of a good color that would so I will not vote.
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    make the colour adjustable via ns2+ @Mendasp
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    What about possibly changing the line color as well? I.e default color for first Connected tunnel, blue for second. Possibly coincide (color) with tunnel icon on map.

So first tunnel, yellow/default icon/line/text. 2nd tunnel, blue icon/line/text. 3rd green, etc etc.

I suggest this because I rarely want to take the time to read the tunnel loc text when I've got my nap up 75% of the time and hate when I have to. If I see that theres a blue and a green tunnel right next to one another in base, but go to totally opposite sides of the map, I could still keep map up and hop into the one I want.
    Nothing on the alien team can be a shade of blue, because that is the marines color. Green can be tricky because it blends with infestation. Orange/brown are the trademark alien colors that we already have that are being complained about. Purple does not fit the alien theme. Red can't be used.

I personally am not that picky about the colors, I just know certain colors will be rejected because they don't match the art style/theme of the aliens. The rest of the colors blend in with alien stuff.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2016
    meh, the colors are just examples and they'd only need to stand out from the colors on the map. For me colored lines and icons (only visible on the map) would be perfect. Why can't red be used? A solid, red line would be totally visible even against unconnected cysts, furthermore doesn't need to be the exact hue. Same with green, I not going to confuse a solid green line with a large opaque green circle. Honestly the appeal to me is the function, not the aesthetics. So maybe if this was something, ppl could choose colors they DON'T want to see used.

Edit: as far as "fitting the theme," then what colors are left? My pink dot crosshair doesn't fit the theme, but it's functional for its purpose of standing out. Nor do a lot of the alien vision colors fit with the theme, esp with cr4zy's av, and that's not a problem. Toggleable options within a mod *cough* ns2+ *cough* would be ideal.
    As I mentioned, I am not that picky but I know it will come up before anything can be made official. Your pink dot crosshairs are very functional but not official are they?
    Nordic wrote: »
    Your pink dot crosshairs are very functional but not official are they?
    2cough wrote: »
    Toggleable options within a mod *cough* ns2+ *cough* would be ideal.

Does it really matter if it fits in the theme? Arctic marines are about to be sold as DLC, no one is complaining about those?
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes something could change, but I'd rather see a distinct colour on the minimap for Gorge tunnels, as that's how I usually find them, sometimes there is so much stuff going on on the minimap that everything merges together making a tunnel entrance impossible to see. Make them stand out on the minimap, see if that improves anything.
    edited January 2016
    In a mod like ns2+ who cares what color it is. It could be any colors then. You can have a rainbow map as is.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I care. If it makes entrances easier to locate as an alien. You can change a lot on the minimap but not the colour of tunnels alone.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Any flashy color will do.
    But in the mean time the issue there is that there is no dark background under the text. That would solve the problem too.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    What about adding those arrows alongside this as well... You know the ones luring Commanders and Khamaanders to their doom into the Hive/CC :D

Or Khamaander could give an attack command, now if there is a tunnel nearby, it would show up as a waypoint marker on the tunnel entrance...