DLC unwanted effect

alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
I'm for any DLC, because it helps the game.

There is an unwanted effect of the upcoming marine skin DLC. Games already have more marine players than aliens. New skins will only make this worse. Hopefully UW already has plans to better entice alien players.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    WE MUST BUFF ALIENS BECAUSE THE NEW MARINE ARMOR IS OP!!!

But seriously, there is also shadow onos and shadow fade coming eventually.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Sorry but I don't see the problem you described.... I can speak for myself that available skin type has never and will never determine what team I join since skins have literally 0 affect on the game. Aliens have skin variety as well. Imo, this argument holds no water and is just... Silly.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    One thing, if you pay for the marine DLC you will most likely join marines to use it. Let's see more alien DLC.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is it out of the question to change some of the alien models like, for example, have a different skin for the fade that also features a different head model?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Daphisto wrote: »
    Is it out of the question to change some of the alien models like, for example, have a different skin for the fade that also features a different head model?

I feel like it shouldn't be considering 32-bit OS is officially unsupported
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Daphisto wrote: »

"Build your soldier / alien" should be the way to go, yes. I think even Aliens Colonial Marines had different head forms for their aliens.

I also think you could make alternative models / model parts easier to work with the general theme of NS2, skins are always risky in that case because you need them to be colored differently to the other skins. I think it makes much more sense for an army like TSF to have all marines wearing the same color palette but have different armor types or different armor parts. The same goes for the aliens.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Got me on a smooth $50 for an ns1 fade model
  • miragezorsmiragezors USA Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194758Members
    I've been asking for a shadow onos skin for 2 years now. GIMME!
  • paskiainenjantunenpaskiainenjantunen Join Date: 2013-06-26 Member: 185704Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    alster wrote: »
    I'm for any DLC, because it helps the game.

There is an unwanted effect of the upcoming marine skin DLC. Games already have more marine players than aliens. New skins will only make this worse. Hopefully UW already has plans to better entice alien players.

What the hell
  • unrenderedunrendered Finland Join Date: 2013-11-07 Member: 189137Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2016
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wolfe­schlegel­stein­hausen­berger­dorff­welche­vor­altern­waren­gewissen­haft­schafers­wessen­schafe­waren­wohl­gepflege­und­sorg­faltig­keit­be­schutzen­vor­an­greifen­durch­ihr­raub­gierig­feinde­welche­vor­altern­zwolf­hundert­tausend­jah­res­voran­die­er­scheinen­von­der­erste­erde­mensch­der­raum­schiff­genacht­mit­tung­stein­und­sieben­iridium­elek­trisch­motors­ge­brauch­licht­als­sein­ur­sprung­von­kraft­ge­start­sein­lange­fahrt­hin­zwischen­stern­artig­raum­auf­der­suchen­nach­bar­schaft­der­stern­welche­ge­habt­be­wohn­bar­planeten­kreise­drehen­sich­und­wo­hin­der­neue­rasse­von­ver­stand­ig­mensch­lich­keit­konnte­fort­pflanzen­und­sicher­freuen­an­lebens­lang­lich­freude­und­ru­he­mit­nicht­ein­furcht­vor­an­greifen­vor­anderer­intelligent­ge­schopfs­von­hin­zwischen­stern­art­ig­raum

you thought i just smashed my keyboard but really this is a surname
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    If players cannot see their skins, are they showing off? Should those whom do not have skins feel inferior to those who have? Someone elighten me... Tell me why DLC doesn't effect gameplay again... Or nevermind. OP has this moment.

I hate microtransactions and the game wasn't purchased as such. DLC microtransactions are the only aspect of this game that's keeping it from being gold.

Budget seems to be a huge issue for UWE or their needs are largly inflated. Yet, that shouldn't matter to games that you must purchase, that doesn't have a story, that's based off the population of the game. DLC.... REALLY? Does UWE want to be a joke?

Perspective is everything and that's a game you can't develoup with terminology alone.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    NS2 is almost 3.5 years old. For NS2 to get any further development, it needs to make more money.

Yes we have had a large influx of rookies, but the game has been priced at £3.49 recently. Sure, that will cover a little bit of development costs, but there are other business expenses.

Take for example this current problem of Anti-Virus products warning against NS2 because it is not signed. UWE are in the process of getting it signed, but certification costs a lot money.

I am absolutely sure, that if you want NS2 to stay exactly as it is now, UWE can pull the additional funds they have made available. Some people however want this game to see continued development, so it needs continued investment.

You should be grateful that the only DLC for NS2 is cosmetic. There are no unlocks to buy or anything like that, so it only changes the look of players. This is a good thing, although admittedly it would be better if NS2 had been successful enough to not have needed DLC.

However, we live in the real world, and the situation is, this money is needed for NS2 to continue to grow. I don't get your problem, you claim the game without DLC is 'gold', and yet you want to see the game die.

You are a sick pervert.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    We already have servers that you can buy vip for and get skins... So how is it suddenly the demonic "microtransactions" when the developers release skins for sale?

What's so demonic about "microtransactions" to begin with? So there's some cosmetic stuff you can CHOOSE to buy, that does not affect gameplay... It's not the end of the world.
    edited January 2016
    I completly agree with players and servers doing microtransaction to support the server... Where's UWE's official servers?

Where is the simple filter to filter out rookie servers that I cannot join atm?

UWE money fork is poking holes in a great game. Where skins could have been reserved for a better purpose. The icons didn't have to dirty the score boards and also could have been for a better purpose...

You talk about price... the price of the game was just fine at $25.

I'm betting there's more to this, but it doesn't matter. I have a valid and reasonable opinion. Naming such DLC is incorrect and scam-ish.

3.5 years? the tits hurt! Make NS3 if you feel NS2 is old.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    3X4L7 wrote: »
    I completly agree with players and servers doing microtransaction to support the server... Where's UWE's official servers?

Where is the simple filter to filter out rookie servers that I cannot join atm?

UWE money fork is poking holes in a great game. Where skins could have been reserved for a better purpose. The icons didn't have to dirty the score boards and also could have been for a better purpose...

You talk about price... the price of the game was just fine at $25.

I'm betting there's more to this, but it doesn't matter. I have a valid and reasonable opinion. Naming such DLC is incorrect and scam-ish.

3.5 years? the tits hurt! Make NS3 if you feel NS2 is old.

You probably weren't here at release if you think the game was perfect back then, there was no DLC, no badges and yet, it wasn't gold.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

What's the scam?
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    I have a valid and reasonable opinion..

We will be the judge of that - thank you very much...

It may involve some kind of DLC last gen webcam device
    Have your fun, I still think selling skin is a pathetic alternative to selling games. The worst part of this game is the marketplace.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Have your fun, I still think selling skin is a pathetic alternative to selling games. The worst part of this game is the marketplace.

How does it affect you playing NS2?
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

He used to claim its a competitive advantage, especially because he is colour blind. Of course, it is also completely ridiculous, made worse by his objection to badges which is completely inexplicable.
    Obraxis wrote: »

Where is the fun in skins? Why can I not join in? Does UWE really need the money? I thought I paid for the game... The game isn't free today.

I have seen the advantages. I have 3k hours on record. Camoflauge does work. Especially against newest players. It works well against my color blindness too. It's far easier to look for one colored alien verses varied colored aliens. One skin can hide better or worse than the other on different terrain.

... The badges are like uniforms on the scoreboard.

I enjoy seeing server badges that have meaning, but not the badges that equate to money. I shouldn't have to see who can or cannot afford donations. I don't think having those badges on the score board are a good method in trying to mix with new players. Besides, to me, the badges were a sign of sellingout. No one needed to purchase "DLC" for me. It was and still is an ass move.

Besides my perceptions, it's reasonable for someone like me to steer clear of such things and why I think this game is suffering because of the skin market.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    The game isn't suffering due to skins... you are... because you don't like them.

UWE aren't making money on the game anymore, or if they are its not a lot... and while they may not have servers that need paying for, they damn well sure do have staff that need paying for, and rent that needs paying etc etc etc.

Skins are as much of a boon as they are a buff, take your example... yeah, you're colourblind and that sucks, but if you're fighting a group of skulks, each using a different skin, it is WAY easier to focus fire on 1 of them to make sure it dies than if they were all using the same skin.

please, look at both sides of the situation before you claim something is just plain bad.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Skins are not an advantage (Virsoul's comparison picture).

As for skin market being bad for a game, someone clearly has not heard of DOTA2, CS:GO and TF2. I still don't get his logic for disliking badges. What selling out? You buy it if you want to and seeing "who can afford donations" does nothing whatsoever.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Obraxis, you are a brave man for going down this rabbit hole.
    Kasharic wrote: »
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

I am ammused at being called ignorant in such a fashion.

You give excuses...I hear the most is because UWE needs money.

Should I just think of them as sellouts? They didn't need the money before the dropped reinforcement. With such responses and reasonings, I am only left to believe that UWE will take a game they sell to me, BACK and change it to make sells to a different crowd...

You can't argue with this because this is just how it all went down. Excuses are just excuses. Especially when you have a team of fans who have been with UWE since ns1. Then you argue that my perception is ignorant compared to someone who just joins NS2....

My take is that: a new player when learning just any of this would be disgusted and not care about NS2 and quit.

I've been playing still and have 3k hours on record from steam. So you can make you assumptions about my thinking or how I display myself, but just know that you may need to point that finger right back around. You all can seem just the same.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    @3X4L7 still not teling why skins are bad...
    It would be very nice to know why you think the way you think.