Steam protocol connect issue. Server not responding

SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
This is probably not the best suited place for this. But I'm experiencing some problems trying to use the steamprotocol for NS2 servers.

It wasn't long ago that we finally got the Steam Serverbrowser, so I'm wondering if this issue is related somehow.

I'm trying to use the command:
steam://connect/<IP or DNS name>[:<port>][/<password>]
Connects the user to the server specified by the IP or DNS name. You don't have to specify anything for connecting a third party mod server, it will be automaticly detected.
Example: steam://connect/1.0.0.27:27015
Example: steam://connect/dns.server.com

Here's one example, of many, of where the server doesn't respond:
Server Name: Wraith :: NSL :: Amsterdam #1
steam://connect/89.105.209.250:27020

Here's an example I got where the server does respond:
TAW|Scrim 4 NSL [LU]
steam://connect/datafire.ddns.net:27030

I can find and make the server respond through the steam server browser, so that is what is confusing me the most.

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Steam links are pretty broken in ns2 at the moment.
    http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Server_Maintenance_Manual#Connecting_to_the_server_by_links

The direct links by gameport work just fine as the wiki also describes..
    My ticket with valve ended in absolutely nothing useful, so links via query ports still have varied results.
    Right now I can get query port links to work without linked the password. As soon as you use a link including the pass, it breaks.

But yeh.. steam browser in general has some issues at times... its a long long topic. Lets not bore you with it.
    In short.. if you made links as I described in the wiki with the correct ports, then 'you' are done.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    steam://run/4920//+connect 1.2.3.4:5678 +password passwd

this works, note the double // after gameID and the +'s
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My ticket with valve ended in absolutely nothing useful, so links via query ports still have varied results.

Can I sign a petition somewhere or something?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    you can not so far I know Sante, and yes crazy.. thats a direct game port link.
  • KronophonixKronophonix Join Date: 2019-12-09 Member: 256252Members
    edited December 2019
    Not sure if this helps... Direct connect to a server using launch parameters by launching the game first, it is faster and more direct. If you can't have spaces in the link (such as when linking in apps like Discord) try replacing any spaces with %20. Works for me every time. Example:

steam://run/4920//+connect%20104.207.138.172:27015

instead of

steam://run/4920//+connect 104.207.138.172:27015