An outside map.

KaydexKaydex Iceland Join Date: 2016-01-02 Member: 210761Members
I know I know this is really weird and you'd wonder how stupid this Idea is... but this is just what I personally would like because me... my self want something more new and that isn't always the same thing that happens always inside a huge base, consider this as a way of creativity.

What I want to see in the future is a new map that happens outside instead of inside, I have been playing allot of ns1 back in my day and I also have seen a lack of outside world maps on that game, I mean there's only one map that I remembered back in NS1 that had a REALLY short outside world and that map is called "ns_hera" if anyone remembers, remember that Lone RT that was just standing there, well think about it that there would be a extended world out there in the distance that we can use our imagination on.

I want to see tree's and I want to see rocks and I also want to see small other bases in areas and just way different atmosphere.

I know this Idea needs more thinking but I just wanted to point this idea out here so if anyone who can read it can take my it and make another post that has been thought way more through from every detail how it should be.

Please tell me what you think about this and for you guys that are gonna hate. I AM READY FOR YA!

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    There was a lork on the clorf though!

The thing with the game balancing is that it's all centered for aliens mostly around cover/hallways/room setups that provide cover. Also not allowing them to fly away. I've once created a thread with "guidelines for an outside map", which is still relevent for NS2, well most of it anyway. So you can imagine I am on board for this idea, but this very same idea would also be quite the gamble. And since map making in itself is kinda a huge time sink and investment for a mapper. We tend to gamble on the tried and true corridor shooter style, NS has always been centered around

Also the seemingly abandoned ns2_hera, and we still have... Crevice...
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The most successful attempt at an "outdoor" map that I know of in NS2 is Kodiak.

But yeah, wall climbing and flying are the two main obstructions to having anything outdoors. LoS can be handled carefully, but even that's a bit of a challenge.
  • KaydexKaydex Iceland Join Date: 2016-01-02 Member: 210761Members
    edited January 2016
    Well what I assume that instead of walls there could be large tree or just big stones and stuff, but like I said it's not easy to make the map balanced for both teams, that's well ofc all about the map maker how he wants to make it.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    and the performance is usually horrible on maps like that. At some point you would hit an invisible wall at ceiling area aswell so I think the center part of kodiak would do it best if some of the plants were to be removed (like I did in nsl_kodiak)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Mephilles wrote: »
    and the performance is usually horrible on maps like that. At some point you would hit an invisible wall at ceiling area aswell so I think the center part of kodiak would do it best if some of the plants were to be removed (like I did in nsl_kodiak)

Yeah, I also forgot to mention the max render distance of 45m at default for Spark. And performance crapping out at higher ranges
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • KaydexKaydex Iceland Join Date: 2016-01-02 Member: 210761Members
    ^ This is exactly what we need more of!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Outdoor maps don't work for NS2 for many reasons
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited January 2016
    an outdoor map can work but it wont work with large open areas, it would have to be canyons or buildings used to divide the rooms. Trees wont work due to the fact that they dont make a sight blocking barrier.

The way levels work is that you must divide the map up into rooms marked out by invisible walls that have the property of making anything outside of them invisible. Without this the whole map would be visible all at once which would give terrible performance.

So maps have invisible rooms surrounding the rooms that you see which tell your pc what can and cant be seen depending on where you are in the level. If the map had no solid walls anywhere then im sure you can understand how it would be difficult to not have the whole map be loaded at once.

On top of this ns2's asset set (the prop models used within maps) are all focused on indoor areas. Some can work as outside props but there arent many of them and also the tree props are rather poor and not animated.

Removing the ceiling part of a map is removing 1 aspect of skulk movement crippling aliens not to mention a map needs plenty of cover.

Outdoor areas work fine in ns2 provided they are a small part of a map and not the whole map. Its hard enough making a map for ns2 thats balanced without also throwing in outdoor only into the mix.