Where did all the fish go!?

AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
Okay i have been playing for 21 hours, and the safe shallows are completely desert, there is nothing for miles! No peepers or boomerangs or anything! And trust me i didn't gorge on them savagely, I ate only when i really needed to, but still there is literally nothing left.

Is it some kind of bug?

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
  • PiscatorPiscator Belgium Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211434Members
    edited January 2016
    It seems that the ecosystem of Subnautica miss something : there is no (not yet?) respawning process of the fish the player eat, nor the ones being caught by the predators. So, progressively, the waters of the surrounding biomes become empty with time (including the predators, wich endly dissapear too !).

Take a look at a - great - discussion in the previous comment (this will light up your thoughts)
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    edited January 2016
    I did and i couldn't agree more with the main post.

Thank goodness i preserved some specimen of peeper in my aquarium, once i get the water park i'll start the repopulating.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    You can, of course, respawn fish and predators in the game.
    Myrm wrote: »

you mean using the console command? but you can't in stable mode.
  • VexareVexare Austin,TX Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210942Members
    Myrm wrote: »

While this may be an alternative for some who are comfortable using console commands while the game is in Alpha development, it's not a longterm fix to the overall problem and feedback on the issue has not been given. As far as I have read, the console commands won't exist in the final release of the game.

The long discussion on this (Ecosystem / Fish Respawns) is great but if you want a TLDR version: The bottom line is that it's not exactly player action that causes the biome they are most active in to become barren (overfishing behavior). There are other factors such as predators in the area and building bases which somehow causes native fish to leave on their own. The game is currently coded not to respawn resources. The debate is whether this is a viable game mechanic and the reasons why or why not.
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    edited January 2016
    Vexare wrote: »
    it's not exactly player action that causes the biome they are most active in to become barren

I totally agree that we tend to see what we'd like to see, Vexare. Hehe ... but what you state here as a fact isn't even proved! :)
  • VexareVexare Austin,TX Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210942Members
    lxh wrote: »
    it's not exactly player action that causes the biome they are most active in to become barren

I totally agree that we tend to see what we'd like to see, Vexare. Hehe ... but what you state here as a fact isn't even proved! :)

I don't think I stated it as fact. You've taken it out of context. Stated as part of the whole response - it's a summary of the speculation thread others in this post recommended. That entire thread is pure speculation and player observations - no facts other than the results of experiments.
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    edited January 2016
    no facts other than the results of experiments.

Exactly. Observations, speculations and experiments. And that showed up: Hands off .. and everything 's fine. Though admittedly without any predators within this calculation. That's the next experiment ;)

Edit: Btw .. did you check the new breeding mechanics? It seems they've removed the dumb fish zero point behavior (except those who are still in the tanks).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Am I the only one around here who thinks...

...reading the title

In any case, the feeding frenzie of the predators is a bit too insane. this planet/waterball isn't in balance, everywhere we go we screw up nature. I blme the radiation/crash :D
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Am I the only one around here who thinks...

...reading the title

In any case, the feeding frenzie of the predators is a bit too insane. this planet/waterball isn't in balance, everywhere we go we screw up nature. I blme the radiation/crash :D

Reading the other thread about this, I'll blame the fact that the fishes don't breed.