Risks of harvesting magnetite

AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
Is it just me or did they make magnetite a little too risky to harvest?

I mean really, putting a Reaper Leviathan in the biome that has it? Isn't it a little too much just for a resource like that? It's not like stuff that regards the Aurora or a beacon that can allow us to return home.

I think they should keep the Reaper Leviathans guarding the Aurora and the dunes, and put something else guarding the mountain range caves.

Comments

• LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I think its fine as it is, although some more diversity in terms of what would be guarding the mountains would be cool, maybe once theres actually something similar dangerous put into the game it will replace the reaper at the mountains
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    you can also got to the mushroom cave I think but the devs have already said that they will change the compass recipe because magnetite is to hard to find.
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    The mushroom cave? are you sure about it?
  • VexareVexare Austin,TX Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210942Members
    edited January 2016
    lorcogoth wrote: »
    you can also got to the mushroom cave I think but the devs have already said that they will change the compass recipe because magnetite is to hard to find.

I have heard conflicting reports about whether or not magnetite still exists in the mushroom caves, depending maybe on which version you're playing (experimental may have it removed)?

I think I agree magnetite is too hard to find. It's an ironic situation really ... you need magnetite to build your compass but you need a compass to find the island in the mountain biome! ;) Well not really - you can either stumble across the island in exploration or you can follow landmark directions given by other players - but both require blind diving work on the player's part - and when you mix in the Reaper to that pot, things get pretty challenging!

I like having 'rare' ores that you must brave deeper or more dangerous waters but there needs to be an easier way for new players to achieve their compass at least. Perhaps some magnetite could be a rare component salvaged or something since you only need one piece for the compass? After you make the compass it could no longer spawn or something unless you go to the deeper locations where it is found in bigger quantities.

*Edit: Or even easier still, make the compass a rare lootable from the storage boxes you can search for around the Aurora. They contain the "Signal" items already. Those seem a little too abundant IMO. Make the compass a much more rare one to find.
    edited January 2016
    What i'm really after are these sweet thermal power plants, they could be a great help, also knowing that the bases will become a lot more powerhungry from now on.

I confirm it's still in the mushroom caves!
  • VexareVexare Austin,TX Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210942Members
    What i'm really after are these sweet thermal power plants, they could be a great help, also knowing that the bases will become a lot more powerhungry from now on.

I too wanted the geothermal power for my moon pool goals so I had to grit my teeth and overcome my fear of the Reaper in the island biome and go searching for magnetite. Turns out it's actually a lot easier to find than you would think there. I'm not going to spoiler it, you could easily look it up but suffice to say, if you were a terrified swimmer ... paddling as fast as you could for the 'safety' of that sandy beached island because you hear a Reaper roaring beneath you and you got turned around somehow and are lost - you might, in your panic, just discover a magnetite ... err "silver lining" to the whole scary situation! ;)
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Clearly that's a luxury resource , so it warrants trouble. Now , reapers have to live *somewhere* , think about them :p
    Vexare wrote: »

I too wanted the geothermal power for my moon pool goals so I had to grit my teeth and overcome my fear of the Reaper in the island biome and go searching for magnetite. Turns out it's actually a lot easier to find than you would think there. I'm not going to spoiler it, you could easily look it up but suffice to say, if you were a terrified swimmer ... paddling as fast as you could for the 'safety' of that sandy beached island because you hear a Reaper roaring beneath you and you got turned around somehow and are lost - you might, in your panic, just discover a magnetite ... err "silver lining" to the whole scary situation! ;)

for some reason i could find the magnetite in creative mode...but not in survival mode...!? what the heck.
    Stakhanov wrote: »
    Clearly that's a luxury resource , so it warrants trouble. Now , reapers have to live *somewhere* , think about them :p

So the compass is a luxury item?...I think not, but anyway also gold and diamonds are luxury items but i don't have to face a seamoth crushing monster to get them!

And besides they have that big ship to infest :tongue: they can live there.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited January 2016
    It's not that risky to visit the mountain island, especially in a cyclops. When the reaper does show up he's usually far below. Park close to some magnetite, get out, grab it and then go back home. There's plenty of magnetite in the shallower areas. Alternatively, enter the cave on the island and access the underwater caves from there. Then you can find magnetite and the reaper won't be able to follow you.
  • raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    well, soon as you overcome fear of reaper magnetite is actually very easy to get and here is how: solar powered cyclops you can simply drive near node, exit hatch->pick magnetite->get back in ... only bit scary part of doing this was ~4 meters above reaper:)
  • SharpkSharpk Aurora Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211717Members
    Before the H2.0 update, I found magnetite inside a jellyshroom, but it wasn't in the jelyshroom cave, it was an isolated part of it, there was only one jellyshroom (no crabsnake) and many biters. Located in Grassy Plateus.
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    I'll just leave this here...
  • XadieXadie Germany Join Date: 2015-11-06 Member: 209020Members

I mean really, putting a Reaper Leviathan in the biome that has it? Isn't it a little too much just for a resource like that?

eh no? about half of my games i simply swim to the mountain island and put down my first base. Reapers are loud, stupid, tend to clip into the terrain and with fins you can dodge them. If you use your surroundings to your advantage they're pretty easy to handle.
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    edited January 2016
    Xadie wrote: »

I mean really, putting a Reaper Leviathan in the biome that has it? Isn't it a little too much just for a resource like that?

eh no? about half of my games i simply swim to the mountain island and put down my first base. Reapers are loud, stupid, tend to clip into the terrain and with fins you can dodge them. If you use your surroundings to your advantage they're pretty easy to handle.

Ok, now, as a thought exercise, think back to your first save and imagine not only how long it would have taken you to explore out to the mountain island / biome, but also trying to do it with the constant roaring and assumed threat of the reaper coming to chew you up. The mountain biome is not an early game location, pure and simple. New players won't know where the reaper is exactly and won't know how to avoid it in the way you know from experiencing previous saves.