What happened to the old alien vision?

TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
I see all these videos of alien gameplay using alien vision and it looks way different than when I use it now. I'll show a comparison below

Theirs
tqzbah8ufr1z.jpg

Mine
kypoek4xa2lx.jpg

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    It was changed to exactly what you see now. You can use the old one still. It is included in ns2+ mod which is on nearly every server. There are a ton of different alien visions and crosshairs you can use from the steam workshop.
  • TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    It was changed to exactly what you see now. You can use the old one still. It is included in ns2+ mod which is on nearly every server. There are a ton of different alien visions and crosshairs you can use from the steam workshop.

Thanks. Why was it changed by the way?
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    There were people complaining about the old Alienvision, so the CDT startet a Poll once, what Alienvision is most used. And i belive because of that poll they changed it.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    To replace the silly Orange Alien vision which was added by UWE.

NS2+ (which is installed on most of the NS2 servers) provides all those AV: Default AV, Huze Minimal AV, Huze Old AV, Uke’s AV, Old Orange AV.

If you don't like the default AV, you can subscribe to any of the ones mentioned just above and enable them in the mods menu ingame, it should replace your default AV.

Old Alien Vision FTW! (still the best in my opinion)
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I used to not use alien vision, and I was a much better alien player for it. Now they let us use the minimal ones so I'm spoiled
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    I also prefered the original green/orange alien vision (Old or Alpha/Beta Alien Vision). She may not look like much, but because of that contrast it was/is a lot better to distinguish food from world :D

Fanta vision (first deviation from original AV)... Well, we don't take kindly to Fanta vision around here...

The original SECOND idea of the change was that the "visual aspects" of the game was mostly lost on alien players due to everything be green/orange. However @Cr4zyb4st4rd now has a pretty cool alien vision, which might compete for the crown of most useful alien vision in my book. I'm afraid to ask for an orange/green (original AV) look, he might go crazy bastardly on me :tongue: Mostly cause a he now already has like 10-ish variations of the thing because people keep pestering him about it!

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/139909/cr4zy-alien-vision-with-optional-bite-aid/p1

Also for nostalgia purpuses (fading vision, pulse vision and random chatty bits from UWE about AV) :D
  • VivisectorVivisector Tacoma, Wa Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219168Members
    I always liked the old alien vision. I guess that's why I install mods though.