Solar powered recharge station for powercells

TheRelicOfOwlsTheRelicOfOwls Texas Join Date: 2016-01-06 Member: 211014Members
I would like a slightly earlier game method of refueling powercells for the seamoth and the cyclops. particularly the cyclops since it currently has no recharge module or a moonpool equivalent. My suggestion is a deployable that floats on the surface that you can place emptied powercells in (and obviously make emptied powercells an item that you can grab off of objects like the seamoth and the generators of the cyclops once they are depleted)

Comments

• IDTiaIDTia New York Join Date: 2016-01-04 Member: 210874Members
    I've been reading some stuff of a Cyclops recharging method being considered, but the power system still leaves so much to be desired overall. But power cells are not /that/ labor intensive to make, still. 2 Quartz, 4 Acid Mushrooms, 2 Copper. Using 40 energies from the fabricator. That's really not that much. Currently, it's just much easier to put at least 4 solar panels on the Cyclops, and just have a backup supply of power cells, if you run out of solar backup.
  • TheRelicOfOwlsTheRelicOfOwls Texas Join Date: 2016-01-06 Member: 211014Members
    consider the fact that resources don't currently respawn though and you have a foreseeable issue. It becomes increasingly difficult to find those simple materials like quarts, acid mushrooms, and copper. In the world I'm in currently I have to basically move from one end of the map to the other just to find quartz at this point. Acid mushrooms seem to be the only thing I haven't used into oblivion. While I'm sure they will probably make flora like that respawn, I don't know how they plan on preventing desertification of mineral resources in the game, thus my suggestion.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Personally i dont mind making powercells over and over but i could understand how that can become tedious for others pretty rapidly. After all, the Lifepod's powercells recharge, why couldnt we build a similar device to do the same :D such a device could even be attached straight to a base like the Seamoth upgrade station attach to the Moonpool.
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    Interesting idea! I hope this is implemented at some point. There was the "power generator" in earlier versions of the game that seemed to fill power cells. (I never used it, but I've seen photos).
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited January 2016
    R2T9 wrote: »
    Interesting idea! I hope this is implemented at some point. There was the "power generator" in earlier versions of the game that seemed to fill power cells. (I never used it, but I've seen photos).

the power generator used powercells to actually power your seabase, kinda like it actually does for the Cyclops right now. That depleted powercells in fact not recharged them :D
  • SporkWitchSporkWitch Rochester, NY, USA Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211254Members
    edited January 2016
    According to the trello, the cyclops is getting an incinerator that you can toss items into to recharge its power cells (and as an added bonus, finally a way to destroy items!)

That said, what I REALLY want to see is an actual docking collar for seabases. Pilot the cyclops so the exit hatch is near it then animation takes over to maneuver the cyclops into proper position and the collar extends and seals. Could add a button on the bridge to disconnect (so that you can walk around and access storage on the cyclops while docked.)

The cyclops could then refuel from base power.
  • MerandixMerandix Netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210951Members
    I'd love to have choices. I love modularity for subs, so why not let us choose what powerplant our Cyclops has in the engine compartment?
    1: No powerplant - Powercells that can be recharged through docking with a base - default
    2: Bioreactor - use creepvines to power the cyclops. Powercells not necessary, but act as backup power.
    3: Fission reactor - use uranium to power the Cyclops. Powercells not necessary, but act as backup power.
    And perhaps for good measure:
    4: Fusion reactor - produce deuterium and tritium from seawater to power the Cyclops. Powercells needed to provide starting power and also act as backup power, equipment takes up additional space outside the engine room, and takes up (to be added) wall slots.

I've said this before, but I dislike the Cyclops current design for it's keel of uselessness. The slanted walls and narrow build make that part of the sub just a fancy walk-space with no function other than raising the cabin up from where it should be (a submarine with a large observation-window-style cockpit should have the thing as low as possible, to have it as close to the bottom as possible), but I digress, just a more modular Cyclops would be a lot of fun already.
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    the power generator used powercells to actually power your seabase, kinda like it actually does for the Cyclops right now. That depleted powercells in fact not recharged them :D

My bad, sorry.
    Merandix wrote: »
    I'd love to have choices. I love modularity for subs, so why not let us choose what powerplant our Cyclops has in the engine compartment?
    1: No powerplant - Powercells that can be recharged through docking with a base - default
    2: Bioreactor - use creepvines to power the cyclops. Powercells not necessary, but act as backup power.
    3: Fission reactor - use uranium to power the Cyclops. Powercells not necessary, but act as backup power.
    4: Fusion reactor - produce deuterium and tritium from seawater to power the Cyclops. Powercells needed to provide starting power and also act as backup power, equipment takes up additional space outside the engine room, and takes up (to be added) wall slots.

I've said this before, but I dislike the Cyclops current design for it's keel of uselessness. The slanted walls and narrow build make that part of the sub just a fancy walk-space with no function other than raising the cabin up from where it should be (a submarine with a large observation-window-style cockpit should have the thing as low as possible, to have it as close to the bottom as possible), but I digress, just a more modular Cyclops would be a lot of fun already.

Thats all cool ideas that are all far more better than to slam a nuclear reactor on top of our Cyclops right now :p
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    edited January 2016

A solar option like the Seamoth would be nice as well. Infinite energy balanced by a relatively slow recharge and requirement for the sub to return to the surface (or at least near it). In the immediate term though, I'd just like to see this come to fruition quickly as simply being able to recharge the power cells off of base power would be more than enough to make the Cyclops useful without having to weld solar panels and a nuke on top.

EDIT: Here is a far more advanced workup which would look pretty cool to boot: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137736/cyclops-open-sea-docking-platform
  • SporkWitchSporkWitch Rochester, NY, USA Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211254Members

A solar option like the Seamoth would be nice as well. Infinite energy balanced by a relatively slow recharge and requirement for the sub to return to the surface (or at least near it). In the immediate term though, I'd just like to see this come to fruition quickly as simply being able to recharge the power cells off of base power would be more than enough to make the Cyclops useful without having to weld solar panels and a nuke on top.

EDIT: Here is a far more advanced workup which would look pretty cool to boot: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137736/cyclops-open-sea-docking-platform

Nice to see they're working on it :)
  • TheRelicOfOwlsTheRelicOfOwls Texas Join Date: 2016-01-06 Member: 211014Members

I like the way you think good sir! I also completely agree with the narrow halls of the Cyclops being completely turd-worthy. Windows would honestly be a better addition, but ideally I'd like to see it get a little more width, or have the insides rearranged all together to allow better/more useful customization.
    SporkWitch wrote: »
    According to the trello, the cyclops is getting an incinerator that you can toss items into to recharge its power cells (and as an added bonus, finally a way to destroy items!)

That said, what I REALLY want to see is an actual docking collar for seabases. Pilot the cyclops so the exit hatch is near it then animation takes over to maneuver the cyclops into proper position and the collar extends and seals. Could add a button on the bridge to disconnect (so that you can walk around and access storage on the cyclops while docked.)

The cyclops could then refuel from base power.

this also sounds useful, yet it seems like a secondary power method rather than a primary one. Just my opinion. I just imagine it would generate pretty low numbers considering the amount of stuff you could toss in there.