Video tutorial to use new .fbx and create props, models etc

Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
edited January 2016 in Modding
Can someone please produce a video showing how to make props and the process of making a 3d object from the .fbx files.

tf3dm.com/ has many 3d models in the .fbx format which spark now supports. I tried converting the model but wasn't sure how to do that exactly. I think the problem i had was that I wasn't sure how to create the .model_compile file for builder (and I'm not really sure what to do).

A video showing how to convert one of those .fbx models to an ns2 format would be great. Ideally using blender, or any other free software if necessary.

Bear in mind that I haven't used blender before or created a model or know anything about doing so :)

If such videos exist please direct me to them.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Can someone please produce a video showing how to make props and the process of making a 3d object from the .fbx files.

tf3dm.com/ has many 3d models in the .fbx format which spark now supports. I tried converting the model but wasn't sure how to do that exactly. I think the problem i had was that I wasn't sure how to create the .model_compile file for builder (and I'm not really sure what to do).

A video showing how to convert one of those .fbx models to an ns2 format would be great. Ideally using blender, or any other free software if necessary.

Bear in mind that I haven't used blender before or created a model or know anything about doing so :)

If such videos exist please direct me to them.

No videos (that I'm aware of) just yet. I might make one in the future, but it's really time consuming, and I just don't have much of that these days. Take a look at the peeper's model_compile file for a complete example.

Bear in mind too that I've only really tested the compiler with FBX files exported from Maya LT. It *should* work with other programs, but that's entirely dependent on how well these other programs implement the FBX SDK.

Also, the Blender exporter should be coming out here really soon. At this point I'm just trying to figure out how best to package it up so people aren't having to install things to like 8 different directories.
  • Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    I've had a look at the peeper's model_compile file but it doesn't mean much to me.

Perhaps I didn't emphasis the fact that
    ...I haven't used blender before or created a model or know anything about doing so...

I do look forward to your blender exporter, hopefully that may shed some light as to simplifying the whole system or making it clearer.

I really just want to get props/models I see around and bring them to my map with as few clicks of a bottom as possible.

Here is a model with the fbx files from tf3dm.com. If a video is made showing how to convert these files into ns2 model/prop that would be great. The video doesn't need background music or sound effect. Provided no keyboard shortcuts are used and I can see what is being done on the screen I should be able to replicate the method with other similar files.