Build 280: Modding Tools Update! - Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I doubt you did read what was written before.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I've been able to compile the peeper without problem, created new mod from basic template, added the peeper folder to the source, run builder then I had it. I clicked "build" instead of "rebuild" but doubt that would make a difference in this case.

"Rebuild" just forces builder to rebuild all the assets in the "source" directory, whereas "build" makes it check and see which assets *need* to be rebuilt.
  • cyzedcyzed Sweden Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206035Members
    edited January 2016
    I see there is still no fix for the crashes you introduced in 279.....

Can you please revert to 278 that was stable, so we can keep playing the game?!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    cyzed wrote: »

Have you provided crash dumps and crash logs to the programmers?
    edited January 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »

Yes, Wooza has done that. But it is still broken and has been like that for weeks. I know there has been a holiday, but why make big changes that has clearly not been tested a 100 % before a big holiday?

There is also problem with the hit reg. Since the update it's been awful. Many players has been complaining about that. So is there gonna be hotfixes soon? We need them in order to have a pleasant experience in ns2.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016

Yes, Wooza has done that. But it is still broken and has been like that for weeks. I know there has been a holiday, but why make big changes that has clearly not been tested a 100 % before a big holiday?

There is also problem with the hit reg. Since the update it's been awful. Many players has been complaining about that. So is there gonna be hotfixes soon? We need them in order to have a pleasant experience in ns2.

If crashes are only happening on 'ns2Large' servers, it's less of a priority to fix as we dont officially support large servers. Beyond 24+ players = more stress put on NS2 clients and servers, it often takes the game over the RAM limit (hence crashing). However I'm sure @matso will take a look when he has time.

If crashes are only happening on 'ns2Large' servers, it's less of a priority to fix as we dont support large servers. Beyond 24+ players = more stress put on NS2 clients and servers, it often takes the game over the RAM limit (hence crashing). However I'm sure @matso will take a look when he has time.

First of all, you released a patch that broke the game for half of the ns2 community. It should be your highest priority if you wanna keep the game alive.
    Second, if you don't support large servers you should consider doing that. That's where you have more than half of your playerbase. Maybe you should try to work with the large server hosters so you can learn what they are doing to have a thriving community?!
    I for one will always play on a large server and if there is no large servers I will quit, and I know that there is a lot of players reasoning like me.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    First of all, you released a patch that broke the game for half of the ns2 community. It should be your highest priority if you wanna keep the game alive.
    Second, if you don't support large servers you should consider doing that. That's where you have more than half of your playerbase. Maybe you should try to work with the large server hosters so you can learn what they are doing to have a thriving community?!
    I for one will always play on a large server and if there is no large servers I will quit, and I know that there is a lot of players reasoning like me.
    Just no. 26+ servers been killing NS2 since they first been brought up. They should all just disappear.
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Just no. 24+ servers been killing NS2 since they first been brought up. They should all just disappear.

Please explain how? I (and many with me) find the game boring on 24> servers. I think it is the smaller servers that are killing the game. But I would not go as far as saying that smal servers should not be supported. I think that players should be free to choose for themselves.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    Please explain how? I (and many with me) find the game boring on 24> servers. I think it is the smaller servers that are killing the game. But I would not go as far as saying that smal servers should not be supported. I think that players should be free to choose for themselves.
    - One 42 player server could fill two 20 servers perfectly fine and more than three 12 servers.
    - It's draining the servers that run the game how it's intended to run. Just because those hacked servers appear on top of the serverbrowser list.
    - Server operators are forced to increase player count on their servers too, but the small community can't sustain this.
    - First thing a rookie probably does, is trying to join the biggest server, he finds performance lacking, a different gameplay and only one or two server that supports this.
    - Players joining normal servers play different, like pestering for GL first, that doesn't work so well outside the big mass.

Supporting big playercount servers means sacrificing lower specced people. For a 2-3 years old game it's already demanding,. You're asking to rollback a patch
    that runs better than before so that you can somewhat play on one modded server again.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Its not about liking them or not. Its that they are rookie traps. They give a very different experience of the game while being the most attractive (being populated + not full) and first impressions matter. Some people think these servers give a false impression of the game intended or teach them the wrong things which in turn affects player retention.
    edited January 2016
    Blrg wrote: »
    But this hatred that some people still have against large servers must stop already.
    This is supposed to be a highly moddable game and a large population of people enjoy playing on large servers even if you find it stupid. It's like trying to go against combat mod or stand alone only because you want more people playing in the game you want them to play
    Fine. Then people might aswell stop asking those mods to be supported officially. The demand to bend and rollback patches just for one mod and a couple of servers, probably just one player, is infuriating. The mods should be treated as mods. They should even have their own tab, like combat mod, siege, faded,...
    Blrg wrote: »
    It's like trying to go against combat mod or stand alone only because you want more people playing in the game you want them to play
    Btw.
    "Combat killed NS1".
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Combat did kill NS1.. I remember all the newer combat players always voting away from classic maps.. sad sad.

As for ns2 large... I truly dislike ns2 large. But I already accepted its a 'mod' to stay. But just like a mod is not directly the devs responsibility, so is ns2 large not theirs either.
    If a patch broke faded, would I expect the author of faded to complain to the devs? No, id expect him to fix his mod.
    if ns2 large servers have issues with a patch its totally in their ballpark.

As for me and disliking ns2 large... that does not mean I can not talk about it and respect their server ops.
    The few talks I have had with @wooza have always been quite nice in my personal opinion.
    I definitely prefer server ops who truly try to run stable large ns2 servers over unstable ones, so I see no reason to be dismissive of suchs ops. :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    Oh come on, dem large servers...

Kills Engine performance
    Kills Server performance
    Kills Client performance
    Kills Map balancing
    Kills Gameplay balancing

Absolutely murders hitreg

Overall a spamfest of kaboom... And no, those servers do not run smooth... They lag, stutter, hitch and and cry for you to stop killing Spark :D

Only mildly positive thing is that they give newbies a false sense of security, due to the anonymity of the large player count. And I can see the appeal for new player and their fear of being judged in a game of skill based teamplay. Individual skill and strategy are replaced by a spamfest of grenades and randomly Ramboing around. Which in itself feels positive, but paints a completely wrong picture of where the game actually shines. Hint, not a nuclear spamfest...

But hey, people also like shallow horde mode games. But at least they perform well, I just don't see the appeal personally, because of the aforementioned issues and also because they give new players that false security blanket of being anonymous among the horde. And that first impression of NS2 performance issues on an engine that is running way beyond specs... It might be me, but that first impression just feels oh so wrong :D
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Only mildly positive thing is that they give newbies a false sense of security, due to the anonymity of the large player count. And I can see the appeal for new player and their fear of being judged in a game of skill based teamplay. Individual skill and strategy are replaced by a spamfest of grenades and randomly Ramboing around. Which in itself feels positive, but paints a completely wrong picture of where the game actually shines. Hint, not a nuclear spamfest...
    In other words: The more it is stupid; the more it's appealing to the masses.
    The so called block buster FPS didn't help the average IQ to go up I'm afraid.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    make server browser not show servers with more than x (24?) slots to people labeled as a rookie.

ez rookie trap averted.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Just to chime in on large servers

While I personally think NS2 plays best for pubs at 18-20 players (both for the reduced spam feel and "Anonymity" for those who just want to play) , others like 40+ servers, which I can honestly understand. Many people find chaos entertaining.

Let them play the way they want.

While I DO think new players would at least start on officially supported servers (auto filter ALL alternate game modes from main menu), they may very well end up on the large one anyway, and thats fine.

I also agree that these servers ARE, by the fact that they are not officially supported, mods, and need to be maintained and adjusted the same as any mod.

There are a few other mods that are considered by many in the community to be REQUIRED to play ns2, but if one of these mods is incompatible with a new patch, the offcial dev team is not responsible for fixing them, the mod owners are.

tl;dr - filter main menu to exclude all alternate game modes by default so that new players know that ns2 large servers are modded, stop asking for official support for a mod, stop harassing people who enjoy these modded servers.

P.S. iirc, wooza played an important part in improving server performance by providing logs and information from his large servers that basically were long-term stress tests of vanilla ns2.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    *stumbles into thread*.

Oh dear. Sorry, I appear to be in the wrong place. I was looking for the mod tools update thread. Has anybody seen it? :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    What Beige said ^

Keep it on topic, fellas.

You can take the long and infamous 24+ server argument elsewhere.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Blrg please do not say such nonsense about my intentions.
    You have no clue if and how I help rookies. Rookies are not exclusive to big servers or mod servers like faded. Rookies are everywhere. I do in my own way plenty to help rookies along.
    It would actually be a disservice if I would attempt to teach rookies on large servers. Its not my thing, I should not try to act otherwise.

I am not actively working against big servers like Wooza's. Hell in my own way I even attempt to help them because stable servers suit all. (Not that I think Wooza needs help mind you).
    So yes, please refrain from such talk about me in the future.
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was not trying to attack you in any way. I am sorry.

My only intention with your quote was to respond to the fact that people voted for NS1 Combat and that was considered a bad option. The rest was poorly redacted from my side and was not intended to be directed at you in particular. It was a general "you" that came out of frustration with this topic.

I get out of this thread now
    @Blrg Fair enough. I can live with that explanation. No hard feelings.

Do not misunderstand me either. I did not mind combat in ns1 on itself. What I did mind was the pure lack of classic matches. It just ended in noone playing the game many loved for years.
    Yes another game (in essence) came in its place but that does not diminish the loss.

I just hoped they could have lived side by side in reality.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In DOTA 2, I actually quite enjoy 10v10 custom games because as with the large servers in NS2, you can switch your brain off and just have some fun. The community is still there for those that want the 6v6 gathers or the lower player count servers.