Cr4zy Alien Vision with optional Bite Aid

Comments

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    question, have you noticed any performance hits on toggle? or am I just seeing things in the video?

The AV itself didn't feel any different when toggled if that's what you mean. Shouldn't though right? It's just a different shader?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    right, just making sure. I didnt think there would be but as I said the video has some hiccup moments.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    That bite aid is easily one of the coolest, recent developments in NS2 modding. It's such a simple, yet ingenious, addition to alien vision. It synergizes very well with NS2+'s circular HP/energy bars next to the crosshair.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    question, have you noticed any performance hits on toggle? or am I just seeing things in the video?
    I haven't experienced any myself but wouldn't expect to on my PC either, id put that down to the video, should probably give it a test on lower hardware though.

Using a seperate lua mod I can pull accurate ranges into the shader now, this means I can also do ranges for things other than melee. Not sure if it's really required but both Gorge heal spray and umbra now have range finders, these are still WIP so no colours/fog.

http://gfycat.com/OffbeatTameHamadryas
    http://gfycat.com/DapperWanClumber

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited January 2016
    NSL §11 (a) (v) Custom alien visions that are not included in NS2+ is expressly prohibited.

Once this AV is allowed for usage in the NSL rules I will use it^^
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mephilles wrote: »
    NSL §11 (a) (v) Custom alien visions that are not included in NS2+ is expressly prohibited.

Once this AV is allowed for usage in the NSL rules I will use it^^

Go and ask yaluzan maybe he'll change it finally :p
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    I heard this is going to vanilla!
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I heard this is going to vanilla!

Really?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited January 2016
    Ooh you made more versions.. lets see.

>
    trying out yellow/red atm.. yay<
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Wich one is the best looking in you're opinion?
    Personally I use green to blue, that was my original reason for even making it, something not orange ^^

Currently changed a fair amount of stuff in the shader and have the ability now to use the same shader with and without a mod for accurate ranges. Hopefully I can get around to updating everything this weekend and then releasing the first version of the mod for much better 'aid accuracy'
    edited January 2016
    Double post don't hate me!

Thanks to @Pelargir and the NS2 News team there is a nice review of this Alien Vision available from them over at: http://ns2news.org/todays-review-cr4zy-alien-vision-mod/

As of today all alien visions have been updated.
    YOU MAY NEED TO LOAD A GAME AND THEN QUIT AND RELAUNCH THE GAME FOR THE AV TO NOT BE BROKEN. I DO NOT KNOW WHY.

This is the changelog:
    For Minimal versions:
    Highlight colours brightened.

For all versions:
    Removed two of the blending steps for highlight colours. (was 4, now 2. This might result in some small colour differences)
    Removed bite cone from screen edge shader, not sure why I put it in it didnt do anything.
    Some bite colour shades have been changed to be less saturated.
    Now generating off-angle colour from the two main colours instead of a seperate value.
    Removed .shader and .screenfx files from the AV.
    Shader can work independanlty of the 'Accurate Range for Cr4zyAV'.

Added shader support for 'Accurate Range for Cr4zyAV':
    (If 'Accurate Range for Cr4zyAV' is installed on the server you're playing on the following will be supported from this AV. Otherwise it will fallback to default values)
    Accurate melee ranges (or as close as possible).
    Better "bite cone" aka a more depth aware circle.
    Gorge heal spray and Umbra range.
    Controllable Bite Aid opacity value with console command "biteaid [0.0 - 1.0]".
    You can see an old and new comparison here although it might have even changed a bit since these images

Now for the cool bit:
    8TkNbr8.jpg

Accurate Range for Cr4zyAV is a server-side mod that allows any of my AV shaders to provide a much more accurate melee circle, allow you to change the Bite Aid opacity (between 0.0 - 1.0) and give a 'Range finder' for Heal Spray and Umbra abilities.

Because this is a server mod if you run it locally and join a server it won't do anything unless the server whitelists it or runs it, in that case the AV will just fallback to the default values which aren't so accurate that they were before this update.

Next step, finish versions without Bite AV and see about implementing some cooler things.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Added it to The Thirsty Onos pub servers.
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Added it to The Thirsty Onos pub servers.

Awesome thanks!

(judging by your post time you managed to get it on after I fixed a bug that caused games to crash, if you had any issues sorry :persevere: )
  • ydyydy Join Date: 2014-10-21 Member: 199067Members
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Can I make it like green soup with orange food with that, also can we haz already or is this just promotional stuffs :tongue:
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Can I make it like green soup with orange food with that, also can we haz already or is this just promotional stuffs :tongue:

Hopefully Mendasp can merge it then push it for release tomorrow or over the weekend.

As for if you can make green soup and orange food, sure, alone with almost anything else.
    Here's a gallery of random AVs I just threw together using this.
    https://imgur.com/a/nJozK
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Hopefully Mendasp can merge it then push it for release tomorrow or over the weekend.

As for if you can make green soup and orange food, sure, alone with almost anything else.
    Here's a gallery of random AVs I just threw together using this.
    https://imgur.com/a/nJozK

Oki, yeah I've seen those more opaque ones. Just wanna fiddle around with that bite thingy in a Huze Alpha AV style :D

TY
    So to everyone who wanted other colour variations....

c8f65e680a.jpg

Coming soon to an NS2+ near you, maybe? Hopefully.

Ermahgerd, more things for me to fret over in NS2+ that should definitely be in vanilla???

Please yes and thank you!
    Hehe not only was it green, there once was also a yellowish soup
    kSdLYCD.jpg?1
    Don't think I ever suffered Yellow Soup, thank god.

Anyway! Note this doesn't have a bite aid implemented in NS2+, maybe something will be added in the future but for not it's not an option :3

edited January 2016
    Well this is the closest I can get to old AV...

@Huze's Old AV
    DBE5CF053B3AD4D6DB74DA9887530F402CDC5F93

@Cr4zyb4st4rd (Cr4zy Alien Vision with optional Bite Aid)
    554B12AF32E46662920676275253A9D9C6252C2B

83CDC143A50C32811EDA526254E64B6284209891

Colors:
    R:128 G:255 B:48
    R:255 G:128 B:0 OR R:128 G:255 B:48 (if Distant Color Intensity is set to >0 )
    R:255 G:128 B:0

I made the edge thickness a bit less thick (1 instead of 2), not sure though. The thicker edges do kinda blur out the peripherals so you're more drawn onto the center of the screen... Also the ranged contrast is a bit less (darker areas a bit lighter). However this does add in a bit of that visual clutter from the level itself again, I think I'm not liking that bit. I'm using the old AV because it is a lot smoother and less cluttered so that would kinda negates this entire point :tongue:
    Yeah it's not gonna be perfect due to completely different shader code for it, you got pretty damn close though :p
    Here's a quick video overview of the new options.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    @Kouji_San "Huze's old AV"? I think you are mistaken, sir. :)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    This is what I am using right now. I am not completely happy with it. I am still messing with things. What I really need is bite range again.
    V99R8sY.jpg
    I have a mod that makes Bite Aid it's own thing, separate of any AV, togglable with a configurable hotkey and supports colour and opacity changes. I just have to figure out how to make it work in NS2+ :p

I've also been working on messing with the shader code due to some edge cases where colours become messed up and looking into other options/choices based on some feedback i've had on it.