Increase Player Limit for NS2 Servers

ghostdlrghostdlr Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205950Members
Wooza and many others have proven large servers actually work and people enjoy them .

There is no reason for a 24 slot limit. If the server lags, people won't play on it ... if they don't like it , there are plenty of smaller servers out there .

So, I'm asking the developers to increase the player limit to 32 ... or add a command line cvar to remove it all together .

Comments

• LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • ghostdlrghostdlr Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205950Members
  • NoMNoM Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203407Members, NS2 Playtester
    Ultimately move/tick rates shouldn't be allowed to be set under the default rates - when players are on. There's far too many 20-25 move/tick servers now. Even for 24 slots.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    The player cap is there due to the limits of the engine and what server can/cannot do.

Yes there are a lot of people that play on wooza servers, and I respect that, but the fact remains that performance on those servers is NOT high enough... framerates are terrible, hitreg is terrible etc etc... I understand that some people are okay with it or may not even notice it... but just because you don't notice it, that doesn't mean its not there.

I stand by the fact that you guys should be allowed to enjoy the game however you want, I respect the amount of time and effort wooza has put in to create the community those servers now have, I hope it continues to prosper and people continue to enjoy it... but I will always fight against that server size being officially supported.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Kasharic wrote: »
    The player cap is there due to the limits of the engine and what server can/cannot do.

Yes there are a lot of people that play on wooza servers, and I respect that, but the fact remains that performance on those servers is NOT high enough... framerates are terrible, hitreg is terrible etc etc... I understand that some people are okay with it or may not even notice it... but just because you don't notice it, that doesn't mean its not there.

I stand by the fact that you guys should be allowed to enjoy the game however you want, I respect the amount of time and effort wooza has put in to create the community those servers now have, I hope it continues to prosper and people continue to enjoy it... but I will always fight against that server size being officially supported.

On that note, if the server performance was to magically increase (probably after the input of blood sweat and tears), to the point where the performance wasn't a problem anymore, it could be considered again. But till then, would rather see performance increases more than player cap increases.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    We are just not going to see any major improvements in server performance any more. There maybe a few things improving client performance, if some of the things McGlaspie was talking about come to fruition, but any general game performance increases are going to be pretty low from this point on.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    We are just not going to see any major improvements in server performance any more. There maybe a few things improving client performance, if some of the things McGlaspie was talking about come to fruition, but any general game performance increases are going to be pretty low from this point on.

With this in mind I think anything above 24p servers should deliberately remain a mod (a rather involved mod if i'm not mistaken). Rented servers can barely keep up with 24p usually, giving rental providers the idea that they can offer up to 42 slots will only end poorly.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Im totally against 24+ servers, and make no secret of it.
    However Wooza's servers are not as unstable as many people think. I shall make no such claims of other big servers though. :)

tickrate is just for ai and not really a issue as long as you do not get any issues with sendrate.

Sad truth is that there are plenty servers below 24 slot which are equally bad in performance.
  • KaydexKaydex Iceland Join Date: 2016-01-02 Member: 210761Members
    I think it's fine when it is on 22-24man server it makes it more balance, well it at least make's me feel like the shuffle is way more balanced than if you do it on a high populated server because when you are on a high populated server and you shuffle and it would be one of those games about 2-4 best one in server that balances with about 12+ rookies or something, not that I am against rookies because we've all been there but it should be even between team because the full rookie team could easily loose against other experienced players.
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    I am a fan of the 32 player size, it is a completely different game than let's say a 7 vs 7 game, that in my opinion is good for rookies and vets alike. They can play together, having fun, when the mix of player skill is optimal (maybe max 20% rookies). A lot of servers have way more players than was intended with the engine and the game, but that is how the communtity develops in its own evolution. People are different and have different views on what is fun and what is not. I believe large servers are better than small servers on letting the rookies in. Discussing what the "best" game mode is futile, pointless and actually not interesting at all, soince it is alla about personal prefrences and subjective truth. Just look at the facts: Where are the most players in ns2? How many servers are running 7 vs 7 games?

Instead of saying it is impossible, say let's try to make this better and give ppl what they want. And people seems to like 24, 32 and even 42 player servers. Isn't that what development is for? Woozas servers are on the edge of what the engine can handle, but they are almost full all the time. I see more servers popping up now and then with more than 30-players. That can't be said about many other servers. Since the last patch, which we all are grateful for, the crashing is worse on Woozas and i believe it can be sorted out. I do not know if this is possible in the spark engine, but i have a hard time believing that it is "impossible" to make it better. Forget your dislike of the game mode and give ppl what they want! This is the way forward, one of many!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    jrgn wrote: »
    I am a fan of the 32 player size, it is a completely different game than let's say a 7 vs 7 game, that in my opinion is good for rookies and vets alike. They can play together, having fun, when the mix of player skill is optimal (maybe max 20% rookies). A lot of servers have way more players than was intended with the engine and the game, but that is how the communtity develops in its own evolution. People are different and have different views on what is fun and what is not. I believe large servers are better than small servers on letting the rookies in. Discussing what the "best" game mode is futile, pointless and actually not interesting at all, soince it is alla about personal prefrences and subjective truth. Just look at the facts: Where are the most players in ns2? How many servers are running 7 vs 7 games?

Instead of saying it is impossible, say let's try to make this better and give ppl what they want. And people seems to like 24, 32 and even 42 player servers. Isn't that what development is for? Woozas servers are on the edge of what the engine can handle, but they are almost full all the time. I see more servers popping up now and then with more than 30-players. That can't be said about many other servers. Since the last patch, which we all are grateful for, the crashing is worse on Woozas and i believe it can be sorted out. I do not know if this is possible in the spark engine, but i have a hard time believing that it is "impossible" to make it better. Forget your dislike of the game mode and give ppl what they want! This is the way forward, one of many!

There was an unofficial server not too long ago addressing just that.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/139198/ns2-game-survey-results-now-available/p1