What Constitutes "Level 3"?

FarrenFarren Join Date: 2005-03-13 Member: 45065Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how Hive Levels are calculated, specifically "Level 3" where you lose your rookie status and are allowed to comm.

Being an old Alpha pre-order player / Shadow supporter who took two years off, it's extremely frustrating to return to the game and be stuck with rookie status. It makes absolutely no sense to me, and I can find no explanation in the forums or wiki. It can't be based on play time because I see people with 19 hours played and level 5, and others with 19 hours played and still stuck at level 1. Or, if it is based on skill, then how is skill calculated? Am I doomed to forever be listed as a rookie simply because I'm only middle of the road in terms of aim with a 0.5 K:D ratio?

What am I missing???

Comments

• FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm more than confident it's purely based on hours played. Just make sure you're playing on whitelisted servers.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Currently the Hive is using
    level = round( total score points / 3000 )

to calculate the players level.

This means you reach level 3 with 7500 score points. Assuming that ns2 players collects about 5-10 score points per minute it takes around 25 - 13 hours to reach level 3.

As Foxy has mentioned not all servers report to hive. Just have a look at the white list to check if the servers you play on report to the hive.

Also the command chair is not blocked for rookies in vanilla. That's a modification many server ops have enabled. However most of them are willing to unblock you if you contact them.
  • FarrenFarren Join Date: 2005-03-13 Member: 45065Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the replies! I suspect that I've not been playing on these whitelisted servers since they all seem to have the chair blocked. Unfortunately at the times I'm able to play there are usually only 1 or 2 servers (sometimes none!) with enough players for a game that aren't already full, so I can't be picky about where I play. I'll just have to tough it out until I get bumped up.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Farren wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! I suspect that I've not been playing on these whitelisted servers since they all seem to have the chair blocked. Unfortunately at the times I'm able to play there are usually only 1 or 2 servers (sometimes none!) with enough players for a game that aren't already full, so I can't be picky about where I play. I'll just have to tough it out until I get bumped up.

If you look at the server browser make sure to have youre performance bases on bad.
    Then m8 i asure you there will be more servers.
    If that doesn't work try the play now button. And if that doesn't you have some bad timezones and there is nothing we can do (exept get a bigger player base)
  • GreyhoundfdGreyhoundfd Docking Join Date: 2014-03-24 Member: 194944Members
    Wait, you lose rookie status at Hive Level 3?

I'm Hive Level 25 and I still have the rookie tag next to my name.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Wait, you lose rookie status at Hive Level 3?

I'm Hive Level 25 and I still have the rookie tag next to my name.

This was a year ago. I think things have changed since then. @Mcglaspie or @GhoulofGSG9 can clarify.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2017
    The level system has been changed about half a year ago:

Level is now based on experience points (xp). You only gain xp at ranked servers. You gain about 2.38 xp every second you play . Additionally every round finished adds 500 xp and you get 250 extra xp if you win given round.

Now the amount of xp for each level increases non linear. Until level 8 every level needs 1250 exp to unlock then the previous one, after that until level 15 the required xp increases by 750 and after that it increases for each level by 500 xp.

To play at a normal server you need to play the tuts or reach level 5 (18750 xp). You loose your rookie status with level 25 (293750 xp).