Cr4zy Alien Vision with optional Bite Aid

Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
edited April 2016 in Modding
The most "up-to-date version" is included in NS2+
Bite Aids while "finished" were never properly implemented into NS2+, neither were the many improvements and bug fixes that I had done. Feel free to direct blame at the PDT for not giving a shit, I have no plans to continue working on this, my desire to do anything with/for this game is dead.

So I wanted to make an alien vision that wasn't orange and xyz colour finally finished it, @Kasharic mentioned on the NS2 Discord about having a bite range in an av so figured id go and put one in this too.

Pulled some bits from other AV's because honestly never touched shader code before :p

Bite Aid™ Bite Aid places a coloured circle on models within your Bite, Swipe or Gore range, this is not a perfect range indicator and is designed to mainly work for skulk, lerk and fade are pretty close and gore is a little too short currently.

Thanks to @Pelargir and the NS2 News team there is a nice review of this Alien Vision available from them over at: http://ns2news.org/todays-review-cr4zy-alien-vision-mod/

Accurate Range
8TkNbr8.jpg

Accurate Range for Cr4zyAV is a server-side mod that allows any of my AV shaders to provide a much more accurate melee circle, allow you to change the Bite Aid opacity (between 0.0 - 1.0) and give a 'Range finder' for Heal Spray and Umbra abilities.

Because this is a server mod if you run it locally and join a server it won't do anything unless the server whitelists it or runs it, in that case the AV will just fallback to the default values which aren't so accurate that they were before this update.

Steam Workshop collections for all AVs in their groups:
Cr4zyAV all Variations
Cr4zyAV Bite Aid variations
Cr4zyAV Normal variations

Single link downloads with preview:
Versions without the Bite Aid:
Most of these versions can now be created within NS2+ using the Cr4zyAV Configurable option

en1jgDz.jpg
KQKOnhv.jpg
E4XrZM3.jpg
Zzk27Ah.jpg
37Nd2rl.jpg
CSvhoXn.jpg
VAYEjR8.jpg
3TESZU6.jpg

Versions with Bite Aid:
dpWumYd.jpg
nQWfLeQ.jpg
xOQHyFP.jpg
CuVZUqN.jpg
IUBgI0e.jpg
Do1dZKH.jpg
Mg1EX0I.jpg
uZbQx1x.jpg
You may need to load into a game, quit and restart NS2 for the AV to load properly first time.

Quick video showcasing it, this is the Normal Green to Blue version with Bite Aid. *slightly old but principal is the same.

NS2+ Now includes Cr4zyAV Configurable allowing you to create your own alien visions, the only thing this doesn't contain at this point is a biteaid

Comments

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Any chance you could do a "minimal" version? so you just get the marine highlights and the bite cone thingy? That would quite possibly be my new favorite AV :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Could you make it in multiple colors similar to how roxxcat has the same alien vision with multiple color?
  • IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    Does this count as an unfair advantage/hacking? Because It seems extreemely neat, and I dont know x)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    Ixian wrote: »
    Does this count as an unfair advantage/hacking? Because It seems extreemely neat, and I dont know x)

Not if it is whitelisted and anyone can subscribe to the mod, it isn't :D
  • IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    Good enough for me - SUBSCRIBED!
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll look into minimal @Kasharic and other colour options @Nordic

If you have any other colours you want let me know and i'll see what I can do, thankfully I made most colours a nice easy change. really want to look into implementing correct range markers per lifeform as remi suggested on the workshop.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    I think I would like the model colour changing from Red (near) to Orange (far) depending on range, with a green bite aid circle.

Roxxcat made some alien visions I tried out for awhile that had different colors. Depending on your time available it might be nice to have a range of colors available similar to how roxxcat did.

Here is roxxcats workshop page.
    https://steamcommunity.com/id/roxxkatt/myworkshopfiles/?appid=4920&p=1

EDIT: After having played with it today I am really not a fan of the fog.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • BofBof Join Date: 2013-08-19 Member: 186972Members
    +1

It could clearly help rookies, but it's a little bit flashy. I would prefer a version of the minimal AV with a graduation of color only for marine/exo.
    Great work!
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I used it at yesterday's SCC, and found it super useful. The feedback from the bite indicator is wonderful.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Havent got it to work with ns2+ yet..
    Of course comp servers still deny it cause nsl mod says nope.

But it seems on servers which do allow this AV mod, it loads but it doesnt work.. I assume because ns2+ set its own.. And we all run ns2+.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Havent got it to work with ns2+ yet..
    Of course comp servers still deny it cause nsl mod says nope.

But it seems on servers which do allow this AV mod, it loads but it doesnt work.. I assume because ns2+ set its own.. And we all run ns2+.

It will work if you set your NS2+ Alien Vision option to "Default" (which is what AV mods replace).
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    @DC_Darkling Just set NS2+ Alien vision to Default, which will then load the mod as long as it's enabled :)

Also yesterday there may have been a period of time where consistency checks would kick you, I accidentally uploaded a wrong file and it caused a check breaking the AV, that has been fixed if you were seeing public servers that didn't allow it.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    wuut.. why didnt it do that in my tests... hmm.. perhaps I need a ns2 client restart for that.
    dc shall try!
    @Kasharic @Nordic @Bof New versions have been made, both minimal versions and fog all of them have the bite aid currently. I'll probably make them all without bite aid too.
    FP updated with them and previews. I hope everything uploaded with the correct name.

If you plan on changing and swapping to test remember you need to restart NS2 to reload shaders because vanilla handles them differently to NS2+ switching.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    yeh.. restarting worked well and it enabled.

I like everything about it except perhaps the green outline. Thats harder to see then the orange one I previously used.
    I will give it more time for fairness sake :)
    Great mod. Thanks for all the variation.
    I find that part of the colourswitching/bite aid happens outside the cone, and also reaches further if you look at stuff sideways (45 degree angle). Its nothing serious at all, but its there :)
    @Ixian yeah, so the way depth works in ns2 isn't a radial thing from the player position more of a plane moved outwards so things at screen edges can be a little bit off.

I tried to adjust for the colour changing on models. So things at the edges are better coloured than they would be without the change (actually you can kinda see this with the normal vision turning it off and on the outlines don't have the same range compensation stuff so they are coloured incorrectly but when enabled it's a little better) I could try to modify it more but it then gets a little odd up-close.

As for the bite aid, I am working on something that should make it much more accurate thanks to @remi and @SamusDroid it will however require a separate mod which wont pass consistency like AV does by default, just trying to figure out the best plan to allow AV to work regardless of getting accurate ranges from seperate lua.
    In theory I can keep all the current AV mods and just have the lua be standalone and it should all just work regardless!
    I like the feature - makes biting mines a bit easier ^^ Keep working crazy, best mod since ns2+!
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Why not make a white one ?
    @RedSword I can try it, not sure how well it'll work out. But I'll see.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I've been using this all of yesterday and today (the GreenBlue Minimal + Bite Aid) and I've got to say... this needs to be implemented into the game officially as an option for AV. It is now my default AV for the foreseeable future, great job Cr4zy.
    Kasharic wrote: »
    I've been using this all of yesterday and today (the GreenBlue Minimal + Bite Aid) and I've got to say... this needs to be implemented into the game officially as an option for AV. It is now my default AV for the foreseeable future, great job Cr4zy.

Maybe not directly as is, but some form of an accurate bite aid in vanilla would do wonders for rookies and veterans alike.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2016
    This sort of thing could almost be a replacement for the alien crosshairs. As long as it was accurate, I'd be totally ok with that. Biting is one of the more difficult "basic" things to figure out as aliens (What's the range, cone, etc?) and this would make it much nicer.

I love it and in a few days I'm going to wonder how I ever bit things without it.
    Slowly working on improving this I have the ability to make a mod thanks to Samus and Dragon that will return accurate ranges for things, however it would require a server side mod.

I have a much better "bite cone" area than before, but again will work better with the mod not sure how well it'll work without the mod as of yet.

I will be releasing updated versions of all the versions and making the ones without the bite aid, but i'd prefer to wait until my shader code is up-to-date so I don't need to go through the hassle of updating every mod with new code.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    question, have you noticed any performance hits on toggle? or am I just seeing things in the video?