Shadow Gorge as a DLC

ghostdlrghostdlr Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205950Members
Bring back Shadow Gorge as a DLC :dizzy:

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2015
    No. I paid $75 just for the shadow gorge, at the time I couldn't care less for the skulk or lerk.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I'll trade my shadow gorge exclusivity for a gorge with a helmet
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    The shadow Fade and Onos are on their way, I would keep an eye on the store in the next coming month or two =)
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    What for?
    I'm Sick of F2P gimmics...

Developers should develop for money and I should be able to buy games. How much you need should have been part of the sale price.

For what do you need money?

I'm interested now...

How much on the sales on these skins verses the work of the CDT. Since I'm not interested in F2P funding, Just what can I thank CDT for...What can I thank skin sales on? Draw me a picture, cause I'm slow.
  • MajorTicoMajorTico New York Join Date: 2013-11-02 Member: 188942Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Noooooooo keep them exclusive!!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    If all the shadow skins are going to be sold individually at some point, can we have them set for a limited time exclusivity for the shadow tier owners before selling them as dlc? Assuming the shadow tier owners are getting them for free of course.

Janurary - Shadow Gorge
    March - Shadow Lerk
    May - Shadow Fade
    July - Shadow Onos

That being said, a premium access for skins in lieu of the reinforcement program where people can pay for a limited time exclusivity and fund future skins might work well.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I definitely don't want the game to stay as is and will buy the skins even if I think that DLC bundles are a bad way to do it. I want da marketplace stylings. It's just fun shopping in online shopping format. Maybe I'm just American
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would be fine with any of the shadow skins being sold for $15 each.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    No. I paid $75 just for the shadow gorge, at the time I couldn't care less for the skulk or lerk.

Why not make it fair then?
    Make the gorge skin for sale to but for $75 for sure tons of people will not buy the skin then but there will allways be people who do anything for an awsome incredible gorge.... Cough cough (me)

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Nordic wrote: »
    I would be fine with any of the shadow skins being sold for $15 each.

Seriously? I'm not gonna invest 15$ more just for one skin. I'm all for donating but don't exaggerate. Although the community would support the next DLCs, people are not stupid and won't buy one skin for that price.

Pretty sure those who purchased Shadow tier would get shadow Fade and Onos for free. Would be the logic way to do it.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I don't understand the attachment to "exclusive" DLC that people have... sure you payed $75... but if the bundle was available now for all lifeform shadow skins for $75 what difference would it make? really?... even if they were put up for individual skins @ $20 per lifeform skin (making the bundle a "bargain") why are you so against the idea that others can pay the same amount of money as you did to also support the game they love, and them getting the same thing you got in return for their payment.

The only argument I've heard for this is "it was limited time only, and putting it on sale again breaks the agreement"... which roughly translates as "Waaaah!, I want things that other people cant have, Waahhh!"... which is instantly countered by the fact that a LOT of people that now play didn't play when the skins were released, so were never given the opportunity to support the game by buying it... so my theory is create a badge and give it to everyone that bought the shadow bundle before and/or make a new shadow marine skin that is exclusive to first time round purchasers, then you can put the bundle back up so that people can show their support by buying it, without removing that "yeah, but I bought it first" bragging that people seem to hold so tight to.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Kasharic wrote: »
    The only argument I've heard for this is "it was limited time only, and putting it on sale again breaks the agreement"... which roughly translates as "Waaaah!, I want things that other people cant have, Waahhh!"

Some of them paid that price only because it was exclusive. The badge idea is hilarious by the way. The shadow (and all other tiers) already have a badge.

So is the "new" exclusive skin idea. Let's make another skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters that other people will want so that we have to make another free skin to compensate the original supporters.

What about this is so hard to grasp? Maybe I'll have a go at translating your post too.
    Kasharic wrote: »
    Wahh. Its not fair. Waah. :s
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    3X4L7 wrote: »
    What for?

Developers should develop for money and I should be able to buy games. How much you need should have been part of the sale price.

I'm interested now...

How much on the sales on these skins verses the work of the CDT. Since I'm not interested in F2P funding, Just what can I thank CDT for...What can I thank skin sales on? Draw me a picture, cause I'm slow.

As someone who has spent $300+ in Warframe DLC, I have no problem supporting UWE if they release DLC skins or models.

UWE could use this money to produce new content, maps, gameplay modes, improvements, etc.
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    Daphisto wrote: »
    3X4L7 wrote: »
    What for?

I'm interested now...

As someone who has spent $300+ in Warframe DLC, I have no problem supporting UWE if they release DLC skins or models.

UWE could use this money to produce new content, maps, gameplay modes, improvements, etc.

What has been produced with said support? UWE has successfully linked DLC with a sense of donation.

Because of your support, what should I thank you for?
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd be seriously disappointed to see any Shadow skin made available to anyone without Shadow tier or higher.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    FoxyUK wrote: »
    I'd be seriously disappointed to see any Shadow skin made available to anyone without Shadow tier or higher.

Shadow skulk is already available and has been for some time.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was referring to the unreleased ones but I concede I didn't word my post correctly.
  • MrSedgewickMrSedgewick San Jose, CA Join Date: 2015-12-08 Member: 209823Members

Yeah, but "Shadow Tier" isn't available anymore. So that'd have to come back first. And then there was the little matter of Unknown Worlds completely retiring the reinforcement program about two years ago. The blog article specifically mentioned that shadow gorge would not be coming back. Much as I'd love to have a shadow gorge myself (those shadow building variants are just *mwah* so cool) it's almost certainly not gonna happen.

Maybe what we need is a new set of gorge skins. Valentine's Day is just around the corner you know...

I bought the Kodiak DLC when it came out and I just grabbed the other DLCs from the steam store. I may have gotten NS2 from a humble bundle, but I like it enough I wanna continue to support its development and I have officially run out of ways to do that.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff

Yeah, but "Shadow Tier" isn't available anymore. So that'd have to come back first. And then there was the little matter of Unknown Worlds completely retiring the reinforcement program about two years ago. The blog article specifically mentioned that shadow gorge would not be coming back. Much as I'd love to have a shadow gorge myself (those shadow building variants are just *mwah* so cool) it's almost certainly not gonna happen.

Maybe what we need is a new set of gorge skins. Valentine's Day is just around the corner you know...

I bought the Kodiak DLC when it came out and I just grabbed the other DLCs from the steam store. I may have gotten NS2 from a humble bundle, but I like it enough I wanna continue to support its development and I have officially run out of ways to do that.

From what I understand here: "First and foremost, the Reinforcement Pack must recognise that those that purchased Shadow, Silver, or any other tier paid much more than $6. So it cannot contain the best stuff. No Shadow Lerk or Shadow Gorge, no Elite Assault Marine, and absolutely no in-game or forum badges of any kind." (source)

It only mentions the Reinforcement Pack. UWE could all in all sell another DLC with more shadow skins. Whoever got the shadow tier back when the Reinforcement program was around should get shadow Fade and Onos for free - but I don't see why anyone who didn't purchase them when those skins were available shouldn't be able to buy them now. The goal of the Reinforcement program was to collect donations from community players, doing it through DLCs would basically leads to the same finality, gathering more money to work on the game.

Whether you like it or not, UWE could follow this path, they've started already through the Kodiak and Reaper packs which are available on Steam.

That's exactly my point. I couldn't get the black armour because I was out of the gaming scene for a while around pre-alpha. If I'd had a PC of any description at the time, or had someone reliable who could have pre-purchased for me, I'd have had black armour without a doubt. I can't get it and never will, that's the way it is. I was never around for the launch of NS2 so I wasn't one of the few to be able to get Reinforced Onos when it was available, so I got the next best thing, Shadow. IMO, Shadow skins are for the Shadow tier purchasers just as the black armour is for the pre-purchase backers.
    $
    That's exactly my point. I couldn't get the black armour because I was out of the gaming scene for a while around pre-alpha. If I'd had a PC of any description at the time, or had someone reliable who could have pre-purchased for me, I'd have had black armour without a doubt. I can't get it and never will, that's the way it is. I was never around for the launch of NS2 so I wasn't one of the few to be able to get Reinforced Onos when it was available, so I got the next best thing, Shadow. IMO, Shadow skins are for the Shadow tier purchasers just as the black armour is for the pre-purchase backers.

Unlike the pre-purchase donors, Reinforced contributors never got told about Reinforcement pack stuff being available only and only if you contribute through this program. Reinforced program isn't some kind of exclusive and elitist program that no one could ever join after the program shut down, or at least, it was never explicitly meant to be working this way.
    edited January 2016
    @rantology YOU KNOW YOU WANNA
    Pelargir wrote: »
    $

Unlike the pre-purchase donors, Reinforced contributors never got told about Reinforcement pack stuff being available only and only if you contribute through this program. Reinforced program isn't some kind of exclusive and elitist program that no one could ever join after the program shut down, or at least, it was never explicitly meant to be working this way.

I disagree. The shadow page showed the following:

shadow.png

Note 'Shadow Lifeforms Skins' not 'Shadow Skulk, Gorge & Lerk'

Also Hugh said in this post:
    Hugh wrote:
    First and foremost, the Reinforcement Pack must recognise that those that purchased Shadow, Silver, or any other tier paid much more than $6. So it cannot contain the best stuff. No Shadow Lerk or Shadow Gorge, no Elite Assault Marine, and absolutely no in-game or forum badges of any kind. Instead, it would contain only:

Shadow Skulk (only, no other Shadow lifeforms)
    Standard Shoulder Decal
    Standard Assault Marine
    Expanded Soundtrack
    All other Reinforcement Program perks will be retired.

And whilst yes, the Shadow Fade and Onos were never part of the Shadow tier specifically, they are still in fact, a Shadow lifeform skin and therefore should only be available to you if you have Reinforced Shadow. Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the shadow skins would be sold off cheap at $6, I'm saying that the precedent for what is and is not Shadow Tier has already been set, albeit a while ago.

TL;DR

Reinforced Shadow perk is 'Shadow Lifeforms Skins'
    Hugh said that the best stuff cannot be sold as cheap DLC
    Hugh also said that all other Reinforcement perks are retired
    Therefore, Shadow Lifeforms cannot be purchased but only added to Reinforced Shadow.

This is my interpretation.

Defence rests, your honour.

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Frozen wrote: »
    @rantology YOU KNOW YOU WANNA

Heheh, I could totally see the cute glowing pink belly now.... in the mean time, you could always use a classic! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=102340684
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    New UWE seems pretty bent on winning over new players by selling the perks of being a longtime player. Black armor, shadow tier skins, if all the investments of the oldest fans keep getting sold for cheap later on it sets a precedent to any future support people may do. With the rate of how the oldest players are being devalued I fully expect constellation and ns1 badges being sold for a quick buck as well. /endbitterfanboymode

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited January 2016
    give us the lmg model from ns2 combat as an alternate rifle model, i will gladly pay for that

all the work has been done already and half the money could go to faultline games or the guy that made the rifle
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    What about the only way to get the shadow gorge is to do all the new acivements that are comming up?
    Mabey you still have to buy it?
    OPINIONS!!!
    @FoxyUK: how can you disagree with me? I said anyone who bought the shadow tier should get the shadow Fade and Onos for free.

As for your quotation from Hugh, let me explain again. The DLC called Reinforcement Pack on Steam is available to anyone who didn't get the chance to be around back when the original Reinforcement program existed. This DLC costs 6€ / 6$ or something. This pack includes the shadow Skulk and only that one because it might be unfair to provide all the best stuff, referring to both shadow Gorge and Lerk for this very same price. And I tend to agree with this statement, whoever purchased Silver or above tier via the Reinforcement program paid more than 6€ (and yet, Silver, Gold and Diamond tiers didn't get the shadow Skulk and Assault Marine armor for free when the DLC came out on Steam but whatever), it makes sense to me that if you ever want to get all the shadow lifeforms, and from a logical reasoning, I don't see why they all couldn't be available to public now, you'd need to pay more than 6€ for each lifeform.

Let me clear things up, shadow Skulk and Assault Marine armor both are tagged at 6€. Assuming UWE would also put to sale the other lifeforms, they could for the very same price provide other DLCs split into different names with each of them including 2 skins. You could get another Reinforced Pack for 6€ that offers shadow Gorge and Lerk. At least one providing shadow Fade and Onos. This is all speculation but since the last lifeforms (meaning Fade and Onos) are being worked on, I doubt UWE will just spend time designing and modelling them to in the end, not even sell them on Steam.
    FoxyUK wrote:
    Shadow Skulk (only, no other Shadow lifeforms)
    Standard Shoulder Decal
    Standard Assault Marine
    Expanded Soundtrack
    All other Reinforcement Program perks will be retired.

Again, how is that a problem?

You're quoting a message which applies to the Reinforcement Pack on Steam. Only the shadow Skulk is part of this pack as for the Aliens. Then what about the other Reinforcement perks? Well, are missing in this pack the other Marine armor (Elite Assault Marine), shadow Gorge and Lerk, supporter badge, taunt and UWE secret project access.

The last 3 will never be available on Steam since I can't figure out how someone would even pay for them separately. The second armor could still be put in sale regarding the other shadow lifeforms. UWE only need to make sure selling them will remain fair for those who bought them initially through the Reinforcement program.