Devil Tail (New Aggressive Creature Idea)

XamerzanXamerzan Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210713Members
edited January 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
So I've crunched out an idea for a new aggressive creature, the Devil Tail. Hope you guys enjoy this concept of mine!
Disclaimer: The artwork is NOT my best work. Apart from not working very well with computer art programs, I was really tired when I drew this. I hope that it gets the main concept across at least. I'll likely re-draw this creature (whether on paper or a better computer art program) sometime in the future. Also, everything about this concept is open for discussion. Please feel free to offer suggestions or possible changes that you think would make this creature better! Other artists out there are welcome to make their own visual version based on what I have here if you want. =)

The Devil Tail
This very sneaky reptilian-like fish prefers to glide through the depths of the ocean, feigning passiveness until its intended targets back is turned before charging to strike (even if its prey has already spotted it coming) with its venomous tail. After striking its target with its tail, it will circle around to try and eat its target even if it's still alive. The venom causes extreme pain and can impede movement in the joints of other fish and humans. It's presumed that the Devil Tail is a rather distant cousin of the Mesmer, and far more aggressive.

Appearance: Snake-like with webbed pectoral fins that follow the length of its body. Its mouth splits into 4 separate jaws (similar to the Mesmer). The eyes and spots on its back glow brightly at night.

Attitude: Aggressive

Biome(s): Dunes, Sparse Reef, Caves, Koosh Zone.

DNA: Venomous

Comment: Venomous Barb

Art Concept (WIP)
gbvNrbd.png

@Blackfrog Concept
devil_tail_by_blackfrog96-d9naikh.jpg

Comments

• ROBOCOPMAXROBOCOPMAX Frechen, DE Join Date: 2015-12-29 Member: 210544Members
    edited January 2016
    Question: How big should it be?

Edit 2.1.2016:
    How sould the poison be cured?
  • XamerzanXamerzan Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210713Members
    edited January 2016
    ROBOCOPMAX wrote: »
    Question: How big should it be?

I was thinking it'd be slightly bigger than a Mesmer, but not by too much. The alternative would be that it's slightly bigger than a Rabbitray.
  • IcewaveIcewave Canada Join Date: 2015-11-02 Member: 208906Members
    @Obraxis take a look at this; @Xamerzan you have my full support :smile:
  • DarthdamonDarthdamon netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-02 Member: 210799Members
    Awesome idea man!!!
    ROBOCOPMAX wrote: »
    Edit 2.1.2016:
    How sould the poison be cured?

Apart from it just wearing off after awhile? That's what the Venomous Barb could be for. You get a couple of those, you can get an item to negate the effects of the poison. Either a consumable antidote or even an equipment item that you could wear on one of your slots to make the poison less effective. I don't know otherwise, what do you guys think?
    edited January 2016
    Thinking about it some more, I'll probably re-draw this creature on paper and just upload that along with the first picture here.
    Blackfrog wrote: »
    i tried doing a quick sketch (5 min) of the creature based on you're drawing...

Dude, I LOVE it! I originally was thinking that the venom would be applied by a stinger in the tail, but this would make more sense. Great work! =)
    Would you mind if I posted this art below my picture? You definitely deserve recognition!
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    Based on fluid dynamics and the shape of your creature it's swim pattern would probably be more like a dolphin crossed with a stingray, it's wings if you can imagine would be like centipede legs moving up and down like a wave moving from the front leg to the last rear leg, like a ripple.

and the tail would probably do the up and down thrust motion rather than side to side.
    Taiphoz wrote: »
    Based on fluid dynamics and the shape of your creature it's swim pattern would probably be more like a dolphin crossed with a stingray, it's wings if you can imagine would be like centipede legs moving up and down like a wave moving from the front leg to the last rear leg, like a ripple.

and the tail would probably do the up and down thrust motion rather than side to side.

That was what I thought as well. If you look at the swim pattern in my picture, that's what I set it up to swim like.
  • BlackfrogBlackfrog italy Join Date: 2015-05-09 Member: 204340Members
    Taiphoz wrote: »

sure it's true what you say but i didn't draw it with the tail like that to indicate a possible pattern as i saw too the motion that Xamerzan gave to it at the time.
    i did that to stay inside the space i had since everything was overlapping in the original sketches XP
    Xamerzan wrote: »
    i tried doing a quick sketch (5 min) of the creature based on you're drawing...

Dude, I LOVE it! I originally was thinking that the venom would be applied by a stinger in the tail, but this would make more sense. Great work! =)
    Would you mind if I posted this art below my picture? You definitely deserve recognition!

go ahead, don't be shy, it only makes me really happy to see someone appreciating my artworks, even the little ones :blush:
    edited January 2016
    go ahead, don't be shy, it only makes me really happy to see someone appreciating my artworks, even the little ones :blush:

@Blackfrog Thanks! For a 5 minute sketch, this is phenomenal work! Also if I may ask, how did you sketch this out? Computer program, or just drew on paper?
  • BlackfrogBlackfrog italy Join Date: 2015-05-09 Member: 204340Members
    i used photoshop to do it
    I'll need to practice with that program sometime... thanks for the info. =)
    Would anyone else like to see this creature introduced into Subnautica?
  • CrypervillaCrypervilla US Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213026Members
    That looks cool, and would be a very nice addition(another scary predator for me to scream at). What does it eat? I would say Peepers or any other type of speedy prey if it needs poison. What eats it? Anyways, nice creature.
  • 6ismus6ismus Florida Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210592Members
    I just hope the devs see all this
    That looks cool, and would be a very nice addition(another scary predator for me to scream at). What does it eat? I would say Peepers or any other type of speedy prey if it needs poison. What eats it? Anyways, nice creature.

Well, since almost everything eats Peepers, I picture this creature eating Boomerangs, Reginalds or Spadefish. As for what eats it, I pictured the Sand Sharks would.
  • darkraptor6darkraptor6 France Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213600Members
    It's exactly the Suggestion I wanted to post !Good luck ! :wink:
    It's exactly the Suggestion I wanted to post !Good luck ! :wink:

"Exactly" in what sense, might I ask? >.>
  • TheJewelOfJoolTheJewelOfJool Southwestern Ontario Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211261Members
    I want this in the game.
  • DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    I love this creature idea! This should definitely be in the game.