Why do I get 24 fps?

TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
Here are the recommended specs

RECOMMENDED:
Processor:Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4 GHz) or better
Memory:4 GB RAM
Graphics:DirectX 9 compatible video card with 1.5 - 2 GB VRAM (AMD 5770, NVidia GTX 450 or better)
DirectX®:9.0
Hard Drive:12 GB HD space
Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

Here are my specs

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad Core Processor 3.8Ghz
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia Gtx 750 ti 2048MB VRAM
Can use DirextX9: Yes
Free hard drive space: yes lots
Internet: Yes

I checked system requirements lab as well it told me I should have no trouble experiencing this game

and here is a picture of when I checked it
4ygtphzd7e3u.jpg

Comments

• Gooch123Gooch123 UK Join Date: 2015-07-15 Member: 206167Members
    that feel when my toaster pc gets more frames than your ok pc :) Seriously though I think it's to do with a driver issue that Nvidia released. Post in the techsupport forums, you'll find it in the "new player" section.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    With my GTX 560 I can tell you that my CPU was throttling my GPU (or the other way around ?). I had a similar config with a Phenom 1090T (6 cores). Changed for a radeon (of the same approximate quality/price) and I suddenly ~doubled/more-than-doubled my fps. Note that this problem could be found on other website/forums : throttling was reported between GTX & Phenom; they even did a driver update ~2 years ago that reduced the throttling, but it was still present.

I'm surprised that the GTX 700 series still has that problem though. I know some higher series do not have the problem, but I believe that the 600 series was the last one.

I could notice the problem by toying with my BIOS config. I noticed that when launching my computer & NS2 for the first time I got nice fps, but it quickly shutdown after a few minutes, due to the heat and the throttling problem.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    You play on what server?
    If you play on the 42 slot, you lose around 30% fps in early to mid and more in endgame.
    Your CPU is pretty slow compared to modern Intel ones @ same clockspeed.
    A Intel Core i7-3770K is more tan 100% faster @3,5ghz than your AMD @ 3,8ghz.

Just udate all drivers only to be sure.

After gamestart open the console and type r_stats.
    If you see:
    Wait for gpu > 0 then your GPU is the bottleneck
    Wait render > 0 your CPU
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    Your CPU is pretty low spec for NS2 unfortunately, the game probably is going to get struggle above 40fps, only suggestion lower all graphics settings, make sure things like AO are turned off and maybe lower the resolution.
  • TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
    edited January 2016
    Your CPU is pretty low spec for NS2 unfortunately, the game probably is going to get struggle above 40fps, only suggestion lower all graphics settings, make sure things like AO are turned off and maybe lower the resolution.

Why does this game require a really really good cpu? I have never had trouble with other games I have played
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    Tyderf wrote: »

Why does this game require a really really good cpu? I have never had trouble with other games I have played

The game is entirely written in LUA, which is a high level language. There is also a lot of complex game logic on top of that. Infestation is one of the bigger performance hogs. This game really needs a lot of single threaded performance which AMD does not have. Ns2 is also limited to using only 2.5 cores which does not help.

I have a similar system with an intel pentium 3250 and a 750ti. I rarely see the game dip below 80 fps on an 8v8 server.

I would expect you to get better than 24fps, unless you are playing on a 42 slot server.

Although it is most likely your cpu, you could follow these instructions so one of the devs can see if there is something else going on here.
    Type "p_logall" without quotes in the console (~ key) whenever you want to begin recording in game (don't do this until you at least spawn in a round)
    then you can p_endlog /or just wait for the round to end/ or map to change/ or just quit the game and it will end automatically.

Then navigate to your hidden folder
    c:/users/YOU/appdata/roaming/natural selection 2/
    And you will find your file, something *.plog
    Zip it/ compress it.
    Upload it to somewhere on the internet
    Link it to us here

This will give me a frame by frame analysis of what is going on, so try to pick a time when you can best reproduce your lowest performance like the 24 fps you said you get.
    Don't record for longer than 30 minutes, and don't record for shorter than 5.

Include your techsupport.zip file with this compressed plog.
    Nordic wrote: »

The game is entirely written in LUA, which is a high level language. There is also a lot of complex game logic on top of that. Infestation is one of the bigger performance hogs. This game really needs a lot of single threaded performance which AMD does not have.

I have a similar system with an intel pentium 3250 and a 750ti. I rarely see the game dip below 80 fps on an 8v8 server.

I would expect you to get better than 24fps, unless you are playing on a 42 slot server.

Ok thank you. I was on a 42 slot server
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    As was mentioned, a 42 slot server does not help. On those servers it is possible to have 30 people in a single room. Your cpu has to work a lot harder the more players are on screen.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2016
    Still though.. I had an i3 @ 3.1 ghz and a 550 ti and the lowest I dipped was into the the 40s for fps. I know cpu speed isn't everything and that not all are as capable as other's, but I'm curious about how you handle on other servers.
    2cough wrote: »
    Still though.. I had an i3 @ 3.1 ghz and a 550 ti and the lowest I dipped was into the the 40s for fps. I know cpu speed isn't everything and that not all are as capable as other's, but I'm curious about how you handle on other servers.

With a 2.7ghz Ivy Bridge Celeron and a 750ti I never dropped below 40 and was typically gpu bound, all at the lowest settings 1080p.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016

The game is entirely written in LUA, which is a high level language. There is also a lot of complex game logic on top of that. Infestation is one of the bigger performance hogs. This game really needs a lot of single threaded performance which AMD does not have.

Ok thank you. I was on a 42 slot server

As NS2 says before you join, servers above 24 players will adversely affect your gameplay experience if you're running low to mid hardware. Your machine has to work over twice as hard in a lot of scenarios and this WILL affect your FPS.

Your CPU is probably the bottleneck here (released in 2012 so is now 4 years old), though bear in mind the 750Ti is a lower mid-range GPU as well. A 3.8Ghz chip is not equal to another, even with more cores. For instance, even the Intel Core i3 3200 3.3Ghz (just a dual core & released just a month later than your AMD CPU) is faster than your 3.8Ghz Quad Core in single threaded performance, which is most important to NS2.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-3220-vs-AMD-FX-4130

You'll find a number of other CPU intensive games will have similar issues on your system.

• BofBof Join Date: 2013-08-19 Member: 186972Members
    if you are not already playing in fullscreen change this option in your settings.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Lower graphics options if you haven't already. Nobody even asked about that. If on lowest options possible, you're still getting really low FPS, you'll know it's the CPU.
    Lowering all graphic settings also reduces some work on the cpu.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Use low lights, low infestation, no anti aliasing, no shadows, etc ... welcome to NS2. Your experience is not unique.
    2cough wrote: »

What are some good amd cpus cus I can't get any intel cpus none will work with my motherboard that I am aware of
    No AMD cpu is going to get you the same FPS of even a cheap intel cpu. If your insistant on staying with AMD your best bet would probably be an AMD 6300 or 8300 overclocked really high.
  • FearlessJamesFearlessJames Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209849Members
    edited January 2016
    I used to get around 60 FPS back in 2013 on all high,now I have to play on all low. Either my computer is aging or the game's performance is degrading :worried:

(I'm leaning towards the latter :wink: )
    No AMD cpu is going to get you the same FPS of even a cheap intel cpu. If your insistant on staying with AMD your best bet would probably be an AMD 6300 or 8300 overclocked really high.

Would this be a decent processor to get
    http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Boxed-I5-6600K-Processor-BX80662I56600K/dp/B012M8M7TY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451795558&sr=1-1&keywords=intel+processor+lga+1151&refinements=p_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin:2057441011,p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:2289793011

And since I have to change my motherboards to use intel would this be a decent mother board?
    http://www.amazon.com/LGA1151-Micro-Motherboards-B150M-PLUS-D3/dp/B016A459GO/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451716802&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=asus+B150m+mother+board
    edited January 2016
    That would be an excellent cpu. The motherboard will be good enough.

One thing to note though, is that the cpu you have chosen is a K cpu. The K at the end of 6500K means it can overclock. If you are interested in overclocking you will need a Z series motherboard, which is more expensive. If you do not plan on overclocking I would suggest just getting this cpu. It is the exact same as the one you linked but does not have overclocking and is cheaper.
    That would be an excellent cpu. The motherboard will is good enough.

One thing to note though, is that the cpu you have chosen would is a K cpu. The K at the end of 6500K means it can overclock. If you are interested in overclocking you will need a Z series motherboard which is more expensive. If you do not plan on overclocking I would suggest just getting this cpu. It is the exact same as the one you linked but does not have overclocking and is cheaper.

Ok Thanks