Game needs more horror and survival aspects!

QuillShotQuillShot Sweden Join Date: 2015-12-29 Member: 210565Members
Hello :) A while back I started playing this game and I'm in love with it, and it's just in alpha!
Although, I couldn't help to notice the lack of survival, difficulty and horror.

Here are some points that I would like added that would make the game more dynamic.

1. Darker waters, basicly, the deeper you go, the darker it should get until you get to the point where you need temporary/stationary light sources. (yes I know this exists but its not enough IMO) It makes it very scary.

2. The game is way to easy. You spawn with super high-tec stuff and there aren't enough survival aspects. I think the player should start with less high-tec stuff, and you have to take short trips out and in from the starting base because of low oxygen levels.

3. The player should be more forced to live on the bottom of the sea, meaning going to the surface base all the time is not an option. Perhaps one should start/have to sink the base to the bottom to survive(since the recources are on the bottom). This enforces the "short trips out of base" point.

4. Iconic deep sea monsters: The game should be initiated by the player seeing a huge figure in the beginning(a scene, animated), which will later be discovered(not just one monster). It makes it both motivating AND scarier to progress, by getting deeper for example, it would really make the game more dynamic instead of having normal fish/monsters that you see all the time, game needs iconic figures.

I know I'm quite confusing and my ideas are usually bad or not so accepted. If you have other/better ideas in the subject, please comment and discuss here :)

Comments

• QuillShotQuillShot Sweden Join Date: 2015-12-29 Member: 210565Members
    Edit* I know its not exactly a horror game, but I really think it has the potentional for great dynamic horror aspects.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited December 2015
    QuillShot wrote: »
    Edit* I know its not exactly a horror game, but I really think it has the potentional for great dynamic horror aspects.

That's exactly it. Subnautica is NOT a horror game. Horror games exaggerate frightening circumstances to create suspense and fear. Subnautica has suspenseful elements, but they are a byproduct of the survival genera, and not a focus. Subnautica has creatures, not monsters and abominations.
  • SwivelSwivel China Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210374Members
    What i like about this game is that it could simulate the feelin of swimming in the ocean where you don't know whats lurking beneath you without actualy having to swim in the ocean and get the feeling that you might get attacked by a shark. Although of course subnautica is not a horror game, and it would've added a bit more 'spice' to the game and encourage people to explore.
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    edited December 2015
    Aaahm ... haven't you met the roaming green silent reaper yet? *OMG
    No worries, if not, it will meet you soon! Watch your back! Hehe
  • WrattsWratts The Sweet Surland Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203906Members
    I actually like the way it's balanced right now. :x

I enjoy how it's an exploration game first, then a survival game second, and finally, it has horror moments but they are incidental. It gives me that "99% relaxing and intriguing, 1% sheer terror" kind of feeling when I play, and I like that. I don't really know any other games that give me the same experience.

You can intentionally go seek out some horror in this game already... try exploring the Aurora wreckage, seeking out Reaper territory, or building a sea base in deep, dark, shark-infested waters. Which btw is totally worth it now, because there are some materials that you can only get in very dangerous areas now if you want to get deep into the really advanced tech.
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    Sorry, did you say MORE horror and survival aspects?? Must have misread it
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    >Trying to make a unique and interesting game like Subnautica into generic survival horror youtube LPer bait

No thank you.
  • Acolyte_HinderanceAcolyte_Hinderance Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210838Members
    What about a SOMA mod for Subnautica?

Could be fun I think and just go with the idea of the AI for the structure gel never having been destroyed. Having the Mod act as an unofficial 'what if' scenario to not killing the A.I. as a premise?
    >Trying to make a unique and interesting game like Subnautica into generic survival horror youtube LPer bait

No thank you.
    Not trying to, and adding horror aspects to the game doesn't make it a novel game(A story game, like amnesia) which youtubers play.
    By the way, the game already got survival and horror so.....
  • AhrisAhris Sweden Join Date: 2015-03-28 Member: 202647Members
    The only change needed to increase the suspense is to make it less predictable in my opinion. Everything is there already but the dangers are mostly confined to restricted areas and once you learn the patterns it's no longer a problem.
    Ahris wrote: »
    The only change needed to increase the suspense is to make it less predictable in my opinion. Everything is there already but the dangers are mostly confined to restricted areas and once you learn the patterns it's no longer a problem.
    I agree with you.
    edited January 2016
    once you learn the patterns it's no longer a problem.

You might take into consideration: What's the 'horror' if its consequence doesn't bother at all? After a while it would appear like a ghost train for kids: Uh .. another shark around the corner and, ah .. one more sea monster bit me ... That was only annoying and likewise just another pattern to rationalize.
    How about real hard but avoidable(!) confrontations? Overlooked one shark and bitten? Make it a dramatic incident, Devs, as it was in real! If someone 's careless enough to run blindly into such situation, it's his own fault and then ... let it be a real bad day, make him totally unsure but first time since publication really happy to reach home, his shelter and cure!

Well, I think such an experience would cause players (especially hardcore mode players) to be horrified enough to overlook just one single shark!
    lxh wrote: »
    once you learn the patterns it's no longer a problem.

You might take into consideration: What's the 'horror' if its consequence doesn't bother at all? After a while it would appear like a ghost train for kids: Uh .. another shark around the corner and, ah .. one more sea monster bit me ... That was only annoying and likewise just another pattern to rationalize.
    How about real hard but avoidable(!) confrontations? Overlooked one shark and bitten? Make it a dramatic incident, Devs, as it was in real! If someone 's careless enough to run blindly into such situation, it's his own fault and then ... let it be a real bad day, make him totally unsure but first time since publication really happy to reach home, his shelter and cure!

Well, I think such an experience would cause players (especially hardcore mode players) to be horrified enough to overlook just one single shark!
    With your profile picture I think I will reconsider my post...
  • ScaNScaN Netherlands Join Date: 2015-10-07 Member: 208342Members
    I was pretty frightened when a Reaper Leviathan started chewing on my Seamoth while I was in it.....
    QuillShot wrote: »
    With your profile picture I think I will reconsider my post...

Hehe, what's wrong with my profile picture? Check your's first and then let's talk about it. ;)