Clock and bed

ed155ed155 tr Join Date: 2015-11-11 Member: 209171Members
edited November 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
i think we need some kind clock and bed
maybe devs will add sleep bar for hardcore mode...

Comments

• TydalTydal Join Date: 2015-11-15 Member: 209277Members
    Good idea. Would love to build a bed or an entire room (with bed, table, lamp and bookshelf :D). While night is short, I think the bases would feel a little more lived in with a bed and the ability to sleep through the night (maybe it restores some health? at the cost of food and water?)
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited November 2015
    I'm all for the ability to slowly regenerate health while sleeping, although food and hydration levels should decrease only slightly during rest periods.

Time is an interesting factor in Subnautica. Any measurement of 'local' time would be a bit pointless, given the speed of the planet's rotation.

An elapsed time counter (placeable sign widget) to measure the duration of one's survival on the planet would be a reasonable compromise.

For any dark-humoured types out there; an "X Days Worked Without Fatal Accident(s)" counter that resets every time the player dies might also work.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    edited November 2015
    Having a Med-Bed that restores health is about the only reason to have a bed (other than having more homey touches). The player never gets tired, there is no measure of fatigue. Does the game need a bed enough to justify adding something like fatigue? How would this manifest in the players character? Would your vision get blurry after 3 "days" with no sleep, would you not be able to swim in a straight line, would the fish police pull you over for weaving around in your seamoth?
    A bed is an interesting idea, but why would we need it? I'd be interested in reading peoples' thoughts on it.
    If you just need to pass some time, build a bench. While you're sitting on it your food or water consumption will not change. It's like a stasis field for your butt.
  • Dragonpoo7Dragonpoo7 USA Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208135Members
    I would love if they added more things like beds and fatigue to the game. It would help to immerse us into the game play and make hardcore that much more challenging.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    my vote is however under impression that there is only a positive side.
    Like health regen or a buff or something. It should not become a chore, especially because its a fast rotation in game.
  • Monkey_MacMonkey_Mac Join Date: 2015-11-10 Member: 209147Members
    Having a Med-Bed that restores health is about the only reason to have a bed (other than having more homey touches). The player never gets tired, there is no measure of fatigue. Does the game need a bed enough to justify adding something like fatigue? How would this manifest in the players character? Would your vision get blurry after 3 "days" with no sleep, would you not be able to swim in a straight line, would the fish police pull you over for weaving around in your seamoth?
    A bed is an interesting idea, but why would we need it? I'd be interested in reading peoples' thoughts on it.
    If you just need to pass some time, build a bench. While you're sitting on it your food or water consumption will not change. It's like a stasis field for your butt.

Fatigue would increase your metabolic rate, the less you sleep the more often you need eat and drink.

Then the act of sleeping restores 10% health and skips time to the next period, morning, evening or night.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    As long as it doesn't bring another hunger bar , I'm not against it. But I don't see the point when we have no nocturnal predators like in minecraft. I just want to be able to explore for an extended length of time with the cyclops , without having to put a bed in its cramped interior. That'd just be annoying.
  • TydalTydal Join Date: 2015-11-15 Member: 209277Members

Not everything needs to have some gameplay element to exist. I would be happy to build a static bed that does absolutely nothing other than look pretty in a base, because it adds to the atmosphere, depth, and realism of the world. Where is the character sleeping right now? Underwater or on hard metal floors?

Anything that adds to the depth or aesthetics of the game is a + in my book. Bed, clock, maybe a heater or fireplace, more personal transports like the seamoth, etc. Just anything to make the world feel more inhabited by the player, and to make the game "larger." What would fallout be without all the random items and objects in the world that have no gameplay value?
  • IcewaveIcewave Canada Join Date: 2015-11-02 Member: 208906Members
    i don't know but i think that night is a great time to find quartz
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    I would actually kind of enjoy a mine craft sort of bed.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Give us the option, but not the requirement (sorta like my view on a lot of things people suggest), and I'd love it.

Especially like the idea of a "sleep bar." Maybe if it runs out to below 5%, it doesn't deplete as fast, but it reduces the speed of everything you do to half. Down to 0%, you'll fall asleep on the spot regardless, so if you're in the water at the time, you're pretty much boned.
  • OmniCatOmniCat Germany Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210391Members
    Having a bed would be great!
    Benches are already craftable but don't really look comfortable to
    sleep on after a rough day of swimming around and scrapping metal.
    Also a "well rested" perk could be implemented... maybe for higher
    health regeneration or a bit more swim speed!
  • nittelsnittels Austria Join Date: 2015-12-27 Member: 210441Members
    edited December 2015
    The_Shark wrote: »
    Give us the option, but not the requirement.

Thats exactly what I think. A bed would be good. Some things (resources, fishes,...) you can see better in the night while for other things you need daylight. Implementing somthing like daytime would be to much, even the possibility to sleep "hours". Just give us a bed with 2 options; sleep till dawn and sleep till dusk. Thats it.

If you slow down food/water need and gain health faster this would be good, but if not also ok. Just the possibility to pass day or night faster would be good. I dont need another requrement bar.
  • KixelatedKixelated Malta Join Date: 2016-08-18 Member: 221479Members
    To sleep you can sleep on either on a bed, one of those sort of chairs in the lifepod and on the cyclops control seat
  • ZisisZisis Greece Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216066Members
    I guess that a sleeping bar would not be nice, especially when you have a lot of things to do. Maybe they make it so you lay down and something pops up telling you whether you want to sleep or just stay on the bed without doing anything. But, you get to choose how many hours you want to sleep just to skip some time if you want night or day
  • KerbalatomicKerbalatomic Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206384Members
    With beds in the game, all we need is different cothes, showers, cooking and washing appliances and in-game computers.
    There should be sleep and hygiene mechanic in survival and hardcore.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Its not a mechanic I myself would use, but it might be a nice option to have.
  • gladosleonidgladosleonid Russian federation Join Date: 2016-06-01 Member: 217930Members
    I won't say it's a stupid idea , but it is not a good one . We just don't need the clock and passing the night . However I agree with an idea of sleeping need