Solar Panels don't fully recharge Cyclops

FournoteFournote USA Join Date: 2015-12-03 Member: 209693Members
I decided to put five solar panels on top of my Cyclops. When I first put them on, they do some recharging, but they never fully recharge the sub. I have version 25416 Nov-15.

Comments

• StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    I also observed that. They recharged about 5 energy then stopped.
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    no idea what you are talking about
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    edited December 2015
    Mystery solved : the solar pannels will generate energy to fill their capacitors , but not the cyclops' power cells. On top of that , the cyclops will first drain power cells rather than solar pannel capacitors , making them effectively useless until you've run out of power cells. Once you do , you only have the pannels' reserve as effective max energy (so , 4 pannels will give you 100 to work with) so this is not ideal.

Still better than nothing , it lets you charge your seamoth for free without a moon pool , plus you can afford to craft things while travelling.

I recommend a proper implementation of cyclops-specific solar pannels covering the surface of the sub , with limited slots just like rooms and corridors do for windows and reinforced bulkheads. While more realistic , that would require a new model to be made.
  • FournoteFournote USA Join Date: 2015-12-03 Member: 209693Members
    So then what you're saying is I can still have some power, but it'll never fully recharge? I guess I'm cool with that, at least until a full-on Cyclops solar upgrade is released. 100+ power is still enough for small trips.
  • TydalTydal Join Date: 2015-11-15 Member: 209277Members
    You can easily build 8 or 10 solar panels (probably more) on top for 200-250 energy. Unless you're always out of the sunlight, it should be plenty.

However I like the idea of actual integrated solar panels that you can craft into the back of the cyclops.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited December 2015
    thank you guys for your infos on this, i wondered myself why the solar panels i put on my Cyclops were'nt doing much good, now i know :D
  • Sigil_ThaneSigil_Thane Oklahoma, USA Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210855Members
    Stakhanov wrote: »
    I recommend a proper implementation of cyclops-specific solar panels covering the surface of the sub , with limited slots just like rooms and corridors do for windows and reinforced bulkheads. While more realistic , that would require a new model to be made.

Not necessarily, if the Devs allowed us to place 2-4 Solar panel skinned patches on the top portion somewhat like the Reenforcement patch addon for the base tubes.

The panel would form fit the existing model but add the enhancement .
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    build a nuke power plant on the roof that will give you +500 power for a bit of uranium and water combine that with 6 solar panels and its what I roll with and I'v not run out of power yet and always have a spare powercell in a storage just in case I ever do ..