Regularly updated: NS2 News

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    For balance purposes combat gives points for damage.
  • Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
    @FearlessJames We've added shadow step back in and tweaked it a lot. It's pretty close to teleport :smile:
  • FearlessJamesFearlessJames Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209849Members
    Anti_Boson wrote: »
    @FearlessJames We've added shadow step back in and tweaked it a lot. It's pretty close to teleport :smile:

WHAT?! Oh my gosh.......Thank You I miss shadow step SO much!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shadowstep is great fun in combat. Having both blink and shadowstep available really makes it clear how much more fun shadowstep is.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @Nordic while it may be more fun for fades in combat..

If it's fun for fades in vanilla, it's exponentialy more not fun for marines. It's a bullshit ability.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Nice, now all you need to do is add siege, assault, skulks with shotguns, lerks with railguns, capture the gorge and you will surpass NS2 in every way! haha
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2015
    joshhh wrote: »
    Frozen wrote: »
    @Nordic while it may be more fun for fades in combat..

If it's fun for fades in vanilla, it's exponentialy more not fun for marines. It's a bullshit ability.

This is true. Shadowstep was one of the most difficult things to track even for high level marines. It was too unpredictable and frustrating to be balanced. I too really enjoyed using it but I also understood why it was removed.

That was kinda only a visual thing though, it instantly moved in any direction which wasn't visible in between the two points so anyone would lose track of where the bugger went :tongue: That could've been fixed by having a trace after image effect towards the location where the Fade is going to reappear, making it much easier to track (also compared to Blink right now). Blink is currently causing a lot more issues with the idiotly fast speeds it has :D
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    That was kinda only a visual thing though, it instantly moved in any direction which wasn't visible in between the two points so anyone would lose track of where the bugger went :tongue: That could've been fixed by having a trace after image effect towards the location where the Fade is going to reappear, making it much easier to track (also compared to Blink right now). Blink is currently causing a lot more issues with the idiotly fast speeds it has :D
    It's the only way to escape 2 motivated fade hunter with shotguns. Trust me, a fade is weak actually.
    (not to confuse those fades escaping anything that are in reality equipped with programmable mice, and / or other stuff)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It's the only way to escape 2 motivated fade hunter with shotguns. Trust me, a fade is weak actually.
    (not to confuse those fades escaping anything that are in reality equipped with programmable mice, and / or other stuff)
    Well obviously Fade is a glass cannon, they melt to meatshots. However that doesn't change the fact that his skill ceiling is off the charts and actually hurting the game's enjoyment once the Fades pop up on the map.

Heheheh we're also getting off-topic here lol
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Well obviously Fade is a glass cannon, they melt to meatshots. However that doesn't change the fact that his skill ceiling is off the charts and actually hurting the game's enjoyment once the Fades pop up on the map.

Heheheh we're also getting off-topic here lol

This is absolutely true, and while I don't want to suggest limiting the skill cap of the fade, one thing that really needs to be done is an equalized skill gap (distance between skill floor and skill ceiling) for each alien class.

That doesn't mean a skulk needs to be as deadly as a fade, if the skill floor is lower, the skill ceiling will be lower, but there definitely needs to be a more consistent skill gap.

Marines have that consistency, because the units are all balanced within each other, penalties masking more power, but in aliens, you don't have that, so the skill gap in a lot of the classes is nowhere near as big as the fade.

Yes off-topic, can you but hey, every thread seems to be a discussion about some aspect of NS2 at the moment, it's future development is a real hot topic amongst the community. I think some really good ideas are coming out, but time will tell how different things will really be..
  • FearlessJamesFearlessJames Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209849Members
    edited December 2015
    Hey! Why not add a bit of a visible cool-down for Shadowstep? Like metabolize how you can see the meter lower to let you know when it's ready to use again! Of course maybe make it a bit longer :D

Plus,I like the idea of having a misty blue trail when shadow stepping! Gets ya out of a sticky situation,but ya gotta keep movin! :blush:

And even though this is a bit off-topic,it's about NS2 development so that's good enough! Now.....bear with me...

What if they burn the fade to a crisp,take the ashes,and re-make him? Alot of things are either broken,or unbalanced. For example the Stab ability......I never see ANYONE use this.
    It's slow,your movement instantly slows down,and you can't even blink! Without shadowstep,it's useless,and with it,it's still.....meh.

Plus alot of other things like metabolize n' such are just.....bleh..... not meh......bleh.
    In Combat, the fade is not rendered invisible when shadow stepping, and there is a slight tracer. If you haven't tried it out, we'll be having a game in a few hours :)
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    In Combat, the fade is not rendered invisible when shadow stepping, and there is a slight tracer. If you haven't tried it out, we'll be having a game in a few hours :)

when?
    Gotta hate timezones.....
    We are getting a game together now! Follow the Combat Steam Group to get informed when there are games starting!
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey guys hate to be a party pooper and I really enjoy reading and engaging in the discussion but we need to bring this back on topic to updated ns2news, I'm sure we will have articles just before xmas or after new year, enjoy the holidays all!
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Pelargir wrote: »

Holy shet those looks awsome! But the stickers should be rewards for doing special acivements!
    edited December 2015
    Panther and scorpion neck are neck for me
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    I'm not digging the designs for some reason. I think the animals/creatures on the chest piece are the main offenders. I think they might look better if decals were limited to the shoulder pads. I didn't really dig the color palettes at first either, but they're starting to grow on me after a few minutes of looking over. Except the ghost, that is--purple is one of my least favorite glow-effect colors. I guess there's only so much you can do using one mesh. Can't wait to see how these turn out, though.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Welp, here comes the walking Asiimov marines.

Not fond of the radical color schemes, plus it would be cooler to have these in sticker format so we could apply it to our preferred armor. Even though I bought the shadowpack I'm still using the special edition armor exclusively since there isn't a way to combine them, so I probably won't buy any standalone sets again.
    To be honest I'd thought there would be like a veteran kind of inspiration for example 101st or even warhammer 40k chapter influences like death stalkers, that would be pretty cool, special groups dedicated to killing the kharaa menace!
    edited December 2015
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    While these designs are cool, I do think they are a little OTT and out of place with what NS2 is.

I'd like some decals to stick onto my own armours, but these would really destroy the feel of the game.

NS2 is balanced around colour schemes, you start throwing marines of multi colours, and aliens of multi colours, you are going to see a flash on the corner of your screen, and not be able to tell if it is friend or foe.

I think the designs are good, but I would worry this would just turn into an completely chaotic games in terms of visuals and themes, the exact reason I stopped playing TF2. When the straight forward started getting too confusing.

Customisation is good, as long as it fits within the theme of the game, and I don't think these do, I think they will end up breaking what is identifiable about the NS2 universe, and turn it visually into a mess of confusion and free-for-all type crazyness.

I suppose it would make it easier to get a map official, because mappers would no longer have to worry about making it fit in with the theme of NS2, as there won't be one.
    I aggre partly but i think some of these would fit in very (Scorpion, Pegasus and the white one) well if you had the ability to add and remove decals couse some decals here doesn't fit with the style (in my opinion).
    This is meant to be constructive critism.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love the fact that they are so visually striking and different, I would imagine the colors wont be as vivid when they are displayed in the game?...

Im not a fan of the animal theme but im excited by the concept and artistic direction - The changes need to be bold and striking, no one is going to jump out of their seat for another off-green marine with a different helmet.

Also the argument of the different colored models confusing people is invalid because of Alien vision. And for marines i doubt we will be seeing any neon pink skulks any time soon.

Great work Rant!
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I think that a skin pack is a silly idea, unless they're being sold individually as well. Really hope that they're integrated in marketplace
    Also on a side note, and opinions aside... Make sure you keep in mind the view models as well, I don't wanna have to fix them again with workshop mods ya know :trollface: