Creature interaction ideas

BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
Here are some of my ideas for more creature interactions within the game

Hanging Stinger: It would be cool if there was a creature that lived in symbiosis with the Hanging Stinger, similarly to how Clown fish and Anemones live in real life. The creature would retreat and hug the Hanging Stinger when in danger. So if the player tries to grab the creature they would get stung. If the player can get analyse and take a DNA sample from the creature he/she can make Him/herself immune to the Hanging Stinger sting. If that is too easy to achieve research wise, maybe the player also needs to analyse and take a DNA sample from the Hanging Stinger. Or/and breed a young Hanging Stinger in an aquarium.
If the player kills or removes all of the 'clownfish' creatures nearby the hanging Stinger. The hanging Stingers will eventually die. The same happens for the 'clownfish' creature when you remove the Hanging Stingers in the area.

Bleeders and large creatures: When the players kill/remove Bleeders attached to a larger creature, that larger creature will become friendlier towards the player. For Example: Gasopods don't intentionally poop gas on the player. Sharks won't attack on sight/ being in it's proximity. Rabbit rays maybe let you attache to them and ride along side them like a dolphin. Reefbacks make happy noises when you approach.

Crash: Currently there is no elegant way of getting through Crash infested areas. Crash will do anything to protect their home. But what if protecting their home ment to keep the Crash inside of it's home? The player could throw Gasopod poop pods near/on the Crash Home and the Crash would stay inside and keep the home sealed so that the gas doesn't hurt the Crash or it's home. Meanwhile the player swims by while the gas is still in effect. You could have the Crash make a distinct sound (a sneezing/coughing sound would be kinda funny) when in danger of Gasopd gas, so it is easier to learn this interaction.

Holding Fish/Plants/Items: When you are holding for example a peeper or an Acid Mushroom in your hands, certain creatures will react differently. For example:
Holding a Peeper => Stalkers will try to take the peeper from your hand while holding it.
Holding a shiny item => Stalkers (and other creatures that like shiny stuff) will try to snatch it from your hands. For example: The survival knife, Flashlight and Welder.
Holding an Acid Mushroom => Peepers will come and peck on the mushroom if you are staying still in the water.
Holding a Creatures Egg => Said creature will be pissed.
Holding an Eyeye => Mesmers will hypnotise both you and the Eyeye BUT the Mesmer will Snatch the Eyeye from your hands instead of hurting you when attacking. Doing this enough times will make that Mesmer not attack you.
Holding a Creatures Egg => Said creature will be pissed (Unless you have somehow through some other unimplemented gameplay mechanic earned that creatures trust).

I might add some more ideas to this thread if I come up with any. Feel free to write some suggestions or changes you feel would be appropriate.

Comments

• StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Having predators randomly disarm you (especially being able to grab the stasis rifle) could be annoying , but it'd add considerable challenge and tension for sure. Something to reserve for harder difficulty levels.

I like the idea of baiting fishes , though. To make it more interesting , you could require a different plant type for each fish and shuffle those when starting a new game , so that players would have to study fish behavior to exploit it. Then you can make fishes more agile and evasive.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    Stakhanov wrote: »
    Having predators randomly disarm you (especially being able to grab the stasis rifle) could be annoying , but it'd add considerable challenge and tension for sure. Something to reserve for harder difficulty levels.
    In another creature thread, someone suggested an octopus that grabs you, gropes you, and then steals some of your stuff. It then carries it's plunder off to it's nest. If you're sneaky enough you can track it back to it's nest and recover your things, and perhaps a few other things as well.
    I wouldn't mind seeing something like this. It might be fun.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    All for more enhanced creature interaction. I'd probably stop it just short of being able to train a pack of Stalkers to gang up on a Reaper, but still have Biter Fish and Bleeders being attacked by larger predators occasionally.

Of course, this means that all life forms will have to respawn at some stage. This would be a good point to introduce the mechanics of player impact (negative or positive) on biomes and the global ecosystem in general.
  • CryperCowCrafterCryperCowCrafter U.S. Join Date: 2015-11-07 Member: 209069Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    All for more enhanced creature interaction. I'd probably stop it just short of being able to train a pack of Stalkers to gang up on a Reaper, but still have Biter Fish and Bleeders being attacked by larger predators occasionally.

Of course, this means that all life forms will have to respawn at some stage. This would be a good point to introduce the mechanics of player impact (negative or positive) on biomes and the global ecosystem in general.

Awwww.... I wanted me own stalker home protection system XD