New Communication Channels - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited December 2015 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNew Communication Channels - Natural Selection 2

The Natural Selection 2 Development Team now uses Trello, Discord and a new feedback forum as communication channels.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    To the forum with this!
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    We sure like more ways of communication. Don't spend too much time on it. UW team doing great getting things done. Keep drinking the coffee!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    That was a great blog.

Love seeing so many people chime in lately
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    I love discord! I moved to it recently - @ironhorse, we a banded skype so we don't need to use ts3 anymore... just discord ;)
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    Sorry, typo, we abandoned skype
  • mockmock Germany Join Date: 2014-03-28 Member: 195015Members, NS2 Playtester
    Always nice to see how you value the Linux part of your community. This time by using a new tool that does not have Linux support...
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    mock wrote: »
    Always nice to see how you value the Linux part of your community. This time by using a new tool that does not have Linux support...

https://discordapp.com/apps

"Coming soon"
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2015

Discord is a web application. The standalone is nothing more than a chromium wrapper. While the official standalone is not yet avaible at linux you can use an unofficial one e.g. https://github.com/XNBlank/discord-linux ;)
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation

Discord is a web application. The standalone is nothing more than a chromium wrapper. While the official standalone is not yet avaible at linux you can use an unofficial one e.g. https://github.com/XNBlank/discord-linux ;)

I thought Linux users were savvy or something. I guess it's also a free thing
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

As you say, it's a new tool and we dont even code it. The benefits of using it for now outweigh us waiting until official Linux support is done. They are also a very tiny company and we support their efforts to bring it to more platforms.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just browsed the new Trello board. Looking good indeed! You guys are definitely on the right track with the changes/improvements. Keep up the great work!
  • ghostdlrghostdlr Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205950Members
    edited December 2015
    Is discord based on WebRTC ?
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    Using other people's work for comunication is lost on me...

It's like when people use 3rd party chat programs when ns2 already has one.
    Yes, I do understand the benefits to players who do not play when they go to play.

When someone seeks you out, do you want to ask them to go to your secretary?

You all will continue to be small if you act small.
    Where did this flavor change? You thought big to build your own engine and your pace ended when you made your first million, so it seems.

UWE is too busy reacting to people like me, too busy selling hats, too busy trying to make money...
    I do understand you are a business, but the flavor has changed.

You're not humble in forums and you still act very small.

As a consumer:

from One that isn't tight with your crew but still passionate about the game since ns1...

From someone who's felt the rough ride from nov/12 to now and experience your unrealistic bump for more money: and the resulting failure...

From someone who's banned from steam ns2 forums for expression of what he saw and couldn't believe...

I know you really do not care for input. Up yours, the only input you all have been turning an ear are the same people you've been listening too for years.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    3X4L7 wrote: »

Yes, I do understand the benefits to players who do not play when they go to play.

Where did this flavor change? You thought big to build your own engine and your pace ended when you made your first million, so it seems.

UWE is too busy reacting to people like me, too busy selling hats, too busy trying to make money...

As a consumer:

from One that isn't tight with your crew but still passionate about the game since ns1...

From someone who's felt the rough ride from nov/12 to now and experience your unrealistic bump for more money: and the resulting failure...

From someone who's banned from steam ns2 forums for expression of what he saw and couldn't believe...

I know you really do not care for input. Up yours, the only input you all have been turning an ear are the same people you've been listening too for years.

Ummm. You do realize we're talking about an external service, not the chat inside the NS2 game, right? This is not unlike Slack, Hipchat, Glib, making a lovechild with Teamspeak, Mumble. All in all it makes a great place to yell at eachother all in the same spot, in realtime.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

As a consumer:

Someone give this guy a job at UWE
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Someone give Yojimbo an award for reading that post without getting a headache.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    joshhh wrote: »
    Someone give Yojimbo an award for reading that post without getting a headache.

Shut.... the.... front.... door - he can read?? :trollface:
    edited December 2015
    Calego wrote: »
    Ummm. You do realize we're talking about an external service, not the chat inside the NS2 game, right? This is not unlike Slack, Hipchat, Glib, making a lovechild with Teamspeak, Mumble. All in all it makes a great place to yell at eachother all in the same spot, in realtime.

I do
    but
    I don't know what Slack, hipchat, or Glib is.
    I don't use Teamspeak, Mumble.
    I Don't use twitter or trello.

I know what everyone HERE should know and use...But I'm always perceived as unrealistic or unreasonable, I don't know.
    I think the rudeness is common and I let my emotion roll out, but it's hard to apologize for. :neutral:

1st party to 3rd party communication is a move of separation if you want to hear from people who already have your ear. I think I must stop here. Thank you.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    We've always relied on Teamspeak and other programs internally to speak to one another, that's just what businesses do. The hospital I work at for my day job does it with Microsoft Link, NASA does it with BroSix, UWE has used Hipchat: everyone has these systems they rely on. Hell, we use Vanillaboards as a service for the forums, which is a third party company. Would you prefer we wrote our own forum software or our own VOIP service? It's just a method of communication, and there won't exist any lack of updates here or anywhere else. We will (and still do) read the forums several times a day, each of us (though not for our own sanity), there exists no separation you speak of.

It is a service which makes it easier to discuss topics directly with the developer in real time. That's all.
    edited December 2015
    Ah! you mean for advertising then?
    Just like these forums and steam forums, these can't really be considered 3rd person communication.

I do see your connection though...

I only started using reddit after being banned from steam forums... I mean what do I know... what lesson could be learned :)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Ah! you mean for advertising then?
    I only started using reddit after being banned from steam forums... I mean what do I know... what lesson could be learned :)

There seems to be a pattern emerging here.

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm always perceived as unrealistic or unreasonable, I don't know.

Mark Twain had a great quote: "Whenever you find yourself on the side of 3X4L7, it is time to pause and reflect."

He died a long time ago, but man he had foresight.