Named Weapons and Skins

Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
edited December 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
There has been a lot of talk about gameplay changes or how to make the game more newcomer friendly. Why not copy the csgo and tf2 model of weapons and skins? Keep the player base playing the game, and give incentive to new players to stay with the game. Since I don't see matchmaking in the near future (this game is run by community servers where people play with the same people) - I think the game needs fun hooks. Why not add weapons with names like csgo does. The weapons with names attached to them could keep their own stats too. So you can know how many welder kills you got with your favorite welder.

There could be random drops, or it could be a dlc or crate you purchase. Same thing with skins for weapons. I know making these things requires more effort, but this stuff works. It doesn't change the way the game is played, and it gives something for people to care about, work towards. Perhaps this stuff is already in the works, but seems like the best thing this game can do since I think matchmaking is too risky at this point.

*added: and if you think it would only apply to one side, why not add alien things too. You could have different colored teeth for your skulk and name it something and same thing with fade swipe..etc. You wouldn't even have to change player models if you were worried about having too many. You could just have the changes for the user (other players can't see it on their screen) and stat tracking so they feel like it's more fun. Or you could have model changes for everyone in the server and have some base line mode for competitive play where all the models are the same if performance was an issue.

Comments

• unrenderedunrendered Finland Join Date: 2013-11-07 Member: 189137Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited December 2015
    Skins, custom weapon models, and a marketplace for both = a good idea as long as the changes are cosmetic, and the skins are quality-controlled to ensure that they don't confer a ridiculous advantage (example: pitch black skins on DMD servers for subscribing players).

That said, I don't think this idea would have much of an impact on the existing community's interest or player retention rates. The people who are truly dedicated to NS2 have been so for awhile. It isn't a population in flux.

I know this is controversial, but I wouldn't be opposed to the game going free to play IF paying customers received some unique perks, and IF it launched after the introduction of better server administration tools, a real matchmaking system (including some sort of commander placement mechanism), achievements, a better ranking system, and fully realized tutorials for new players. I recognize how tall of an order that is, but these modernized features are what it takes to keep new audiences attached to the game. And to be perfectly clear: I'm saying free to play and not pay to win. Short of that, I don't see any change really boosting the player count in the long term. I'm fully on board with the new development model, but iterative changes and occasional sale/free weekends aren't going to be as stimulating as they once were.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Skins, custom weapon models, and a marketplace for both = a good idea as long as the changes are cosmetic, and the skins are quality-controlled to ensure that they don't confer a ridiculous advantage (example: pitch black skins on DMD servers for subscribing players).

I thought that was my gpu dying.
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    edited December 2015
    You maybe surprised, but I've nothing against DMD server's skins...Even though it does give an advatange.

What I have been against were the official skins used across all servers. DMD server needs continual money for support. NS2 is a pay once play forever game. I'm sure *snip* If you can't be nice, don't say anything at all -Decoy may not understand the difference...

I'll go on if you need me to. I've been banned from ns2 steam forums for my objection to shadow skins. WTF do I know... lol
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited December 2015

That said, I don't think this idea would have much of an impact on the existing community's interest or player retention rates. The people who are truly dedicated to NS2 have been so for awhile. It isn't a population in flux.

I know this is controversial, but I wouldn't be opposed to the game going free to play IF paying customers received some unique perks, and IF it launched after the introduction of better server administration tools, a real matchmaking system (including some sort of commander placement mechanism), achievements, a better ranking system, and fully realized tutorials for new players. I recognize how tall of an order that is, but these modernized features are what it takes to keep new audiences attached to the game. And to be perfectly clear: I'm saying free to play and not pay to win. Short of that, I don't see any change really boosting the player count in the long term. I'm fully on board with the new development model, but iterative changes and occasional sale/free weekends aren't going to be as stimulating as they once were.

I don't know if it would have an impact on the existing community's retention rates - since I agree a lot of the same people keep this game going. I also don't think it would hurt to give those people something to focus on/keep track of/gather. The point is to bring in new people and keep them. That is the goal of UWE right now it seems like. You go into a real matchmaking system, but I made the point that it is risky to do that at this point. It would be nice, but difficult when a lot of this game is played in community servers where people like playing with the same people. This is where the named weapons and skins could really help keep new player retention up. Achievements is another nice idea. I think people care more about weapons, names of them, and skins. I could be wrong though and I think both would help. It just seems like what I mentioned in my original post is what people in other game communities focus on, and I don't see why it wouldn't help. Or at least, it couldn't hurt. People like getting stuff.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    this has been a goal for a while and the systems are being put in place for this shortly, stay tuned!
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Deck_ wrote: »
    I don't know if it would have an impact on the existing community's retention rates - since I agree a lot of the same people keep this game going. I also don't think it would hurt to give those people something to focus on/keep track of/gather. The point is to bring in new people and keep them. That is the goal of UWE right now it seems like. You go into a real matchmaking system, but I made the point that it is risky to do that at this point. It would be nice, but difficult when a lot of this game is played in community servers where people like playing with the same people. This is where the named weapons and skins could really help keep new player retention up. Achievements is another nice idea. I think people care more about weapons, names of them, and skins. I could be wrong though and I think both would help. It just seems like what I mentioned in my original post is what people in other game communities focus on, and I don't see why it wouldn't help. Or at least, it couldn't hurt. People like getting stuff.

What people commonly fail to understand is this: NS isn't a standard FPS, it's a FPS/RTS. Many players fled from FPS to get into RTS/FPS. It's not difficult to understand why. Those player evolved and got bored to death with the same stuff (map, game, people, general mood, visa card upgrades (who said diablo???)).

That said, it's clearly a different kind of people with different goals (concerning gaming experience). You don't play NS to get a badge. I mean; those who still stick around aren't. Personally I'm not interested in this and I'm not the only one for sure; I don't need / want this stuff. In my "Give a Fù|< meter" is down to -100.

Now those who could be interested in this kind of things will behave relatively the same way. It is true for any game. Once they get the last item, once they get the last achievement, once they get the final stuff, if they leave; you never see them again.

Especially as this kind of thing is mostly for single player game... I think you'll get the point easily if you think of it a little. It is dull to consider more badges/skin will save the game. It didn't so far.

Making new comers get a better experience and progress (in terms of getting along with the game more or less safely), will be far more powerful than 'stuff' you buy...

• develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    That said, it's clearly a different kind of people with different goals (concerning gaming experience). You don't play NS to get a badge. I mean; those who still stick around aren't. Personally I'm not interested in this and I'm not the only one for sure; I don't need / want this stuff. In my "Give a Fù|< meter" is down to -100.

Now those who could be interested in this kind of things will behave relatively the same way. It is true for any game. Once they get the last item, once they get the last achievement, once they get the final stuff, if they leave; you never see them again.

No, the hats and items are very important. Because when the procedure is in place, it mobilizes the community to create stuff. Community is not allowed to improve code, but it'll be able to change the visual content.

Custom skins improve the experience. They increase the retention by strengthening the bound to your favorite class if you have some skins for it. And they help in communication with the teammates: the amount of negativity towards you is lower (people start seeing more of the personality behind the game character).

The non-stop change of the visual content is a possibility to sell it directly and, most importantly, have the advertising material.
    devel wrote: »
    No, the hats and items are very important. Because when the procedure is in place, it mobilizes the community to create stuff. Community is not allowed to improve code, but it'll be able to change the visual content.

Custom skins improve the experience. They increase the retention by strengthening the bound to your favorite class if you have some skins for it. And they help in communication with the teammates: the amount of negativity towards you is lower (people start seeing more of the personality behind the game character).

The non-stop change of the visual content is a possibility to sell it directly and, most importantly, have the advertising material.
    So NS2 must be the exception actually. The Reaper DLC pack is out since October 2014.

What does SteamCharts tells us :
    ah yes..
    Month 	Avg. Players 	Gain 	% Gain 	Peak Players
    Last 30 Days 	208.6 	-9.0 	-4.14% 	489
    November 2015 	217.6 	+15.4 	+7.62% 	616
    October 2015 	202.2 	+11.7 	+6.14% 	476
    September 2015 	190.5 	-28.5 	-13.02% 	416
    August 2015 	219.0 	+13.4 	+6.52% 	498
    July 2015 	205.6 	-12.8 	-5.88% 	446
    June 2015 	218.5 	-0.8 	-0.38% 	520
    May 2015 	219.3 	-13.1 	-5.65% 	516
    April 2015 	232.4 	-25.5 	-9.89% 	564
    March 2015 	257.9 	-55.4 	-17.68% 	611
    February 2015 	313.3 	-85.6 	-21.45% 	734
    January 2015 	398.9 	-20.2 	-4.83% 	942
    December 2014 	419.1 	+8.6 	+2.08% 	1,156
    November 2014 	410.6 	+103.0 	+33.48% 	1,306
    October 2014 	307.6 	-84.9 	-21.64% 	666
    September 2014 	392.5 	+31.1 	+8.62% 	1,215

Basically it's
    • 1 third of the remaining players who left during the last year
    • no more player came in considering this chart. At least we can consider that those who left are in bigger number than those who get in.
    ...since Reaper pack is out.

So in the end you are saying that making more of this stuff will save NS ? Hmmm... not sure.

It's like the FED and the Quantitative Easing.
    -It didn't work at all the 3 first times, ... let' do more!!!
    - ... hmmm ok...

and everybody applause.

It's just another BS thread which lead to nowhere. You don't need to change the "almighty cowde" in order to make this game better or create content to add. Many things have been suggested and discussed at length. So far the "skin" stuff always ended up as a bad idea for this game. who said "Commander badges" ?

Special note on the skins : When the rookies "wear" these skins. Everybody else sees a fresh meat meal with a target sign on it, for free. eeee ZZZZZ.

The first step for player retention isn't quick selling. It's a real customer loyalty program and a community full of hands and less full of mouths.
    • Custom Maps are barely supported by admin AND NOT by UWE (The "official approved quality stamp" mentioned in other threads). It doesn't need any money and will make this game seen as a game with many maps even if the maps aren't official. And rip off the "custom=bad quality" sticker from it.
    • Custom game mode, same'o'same. I'm thinking of Siege, Faded and such (forgive me my fellow content creator if i didn't mentioned you).
    • A real Mentor/teacher program. Not only with willing people but also with some special maps or game mode. We all know it's a corner stone for the game to evolve and take off.

Meaning developing the player retention with a real and interesting program that isn't just the same BS in other games.

If this community is devoted to create that kind of BS content. I prefer not to be considered as one.
    I prefer be the one who creates maps, help dedicated programmers testing their game mode, helping rookies on site (while playing) as it is the only thing we can do right now to help them.

Any badge, and skin BS you can invent is just another "sale wave" on the departure to oblivion. 2 weeks lifespan at most...
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @UncleCrunch Just because the Reaper pack didn't bring in another 100k players doesn't mean skins/cosmetics are worthless for retention and growth. Firstly, they are sold and can't be earned in game which means that people won't invest time into playing to unlock them and second, there's no system in place that allows you to earn skins from just playing. In essence, a progression system is pretty important and all we have is the arbitrary hive which doesn't provide any use other than how long someone has played.

While not a specific analogy, CSGO got immensely popular from the cosmetics system that they have in place.

People want rewards for doing something, the whole carrot on the stick is the rage these days. Overwatch is getting a lot of enthusiasm from fans regarding cosmetics, WoWs new artifact system is getting a lot of positive reception because of the focus on cosmetics, MOBAs are built on cosmetics, Halo 5 has cosmetic progression, KF2 just released a similar cosmetic design to CSGO.

I'm not saying they are the only reason why these games are popular but have a significant presence in many multiplayer games right now.
  • RailoRailo Join Date: 2007-11-15 Member: 62925Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @UncleCrunch Hello fellow onos badge owner. Personally I think the problem to modern games lies within that steam chart you linked, we have a lot of people who only focus on the player numbers to make their decision if its worthwile to invest their time to a game. When NS1 came out the time was different and people at the time didn't pay attention to player numbers there was no steam or purchasable dlc packs, people created own communities and made mods for the fun of it. Now people don't even try a multiplayer if steam charts shows a lack of players ->''NS2 is dead''. If only we could go back in time were games were played for the feeling it delivered and not wonder if there was a money tournament coming or how much content devs would give us, we would deliver those ourselves. Now its basically how people judge games and we have these over hyped games like cs:go, dota, overwatch, sure they have players and shiny stuff you can buy, that's one main reasons people start playing them.

Will achievements and skins bring in players alone, I doubt it, but its one way for UWE to test new things and bring some income and that's the way games are made today, why try and fight a losing battle, just hopefully the essence that makes NS so unique isn't lost in the process. If only this kind of talk with the community would have started from the beginning, and not 3 years later.
    You mentioned the reaper dlc and how it didn't change anything, well one dlc pack alone wont keep players in a game or bring in new ones but hopefully it made some extra cash to UWE and its creator, without money its hard to keep these things going. I don't really see a problem why you can't try to modernize a games outlook by adding these minor things like gun badges/ranks, I buy them to keep the devs going, but for some it might give that extra motivation to play.

By adding these possibilites like community created badges or whatever you actually give more motivation for people doing them.
    The most hopefull thing is that NS made its foundation back when gameplay was the thing that mattered not hats, so we have these passionate individuals that are still in the game after a decade, its much harder for newer games to get that solid community and who keeps coming back over and over again. Cologne should have been the swan song like I was told in TS 1½year ago by one of the leaders of the new dev team, that's the only attitude that should not exist.

PS: Skype @mendasp already... he needs to start doing some maps for ns3.

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Look at the chart and notice November 2014. +33.5% gain. What more did you possibly expect @UncleCrunch ?

Obviously one pack is not going to mean a steady growth like this. It will add one peak. You have to make frequent updates or events like tournaments etc. to have a steady growth similar to something like csgo. But the data that @UncleCrunch himself presented shows that the dlc was in fact successful. There simply needs to be more of this kind.
    @RaZDaZ :
    Watch out you would be considered as an heretic just by saying something like that about Hive. It's a dangerous path.

About CS I was in the beta 17years ago. And to be honest it's not comparable to NS for several reasons. CS and CS:Go are populated because of simple facts. The game is dumb (it is obvious, even Rambo is more philosophical). And most of all, it was the first to land as a multiplayer game (after HL). So the devs had a budget to advertise more (or get in offers) before the competitors. Many game never did stand a chance while they were better than CS in every way. So you can't really compare CS/NS. Not the same kind, not the same story, not the same people.

@SantaClaws : Put things in perspective. As I said it's only and will ever be a sale wave. Like any other Christmas. Why do you think they launched in October ? Every launch/advertisement starts in the 4th quarter of the year for any company in any sector. It doesn't change the fact that it's 1 or 2 months.
    Meaning it's superficial and not effectively converting to NS2 players that will stay for good. Especially new players.

@Railo
    The badge was a mean to support when there was a little hope. About supporting the devs with $$$$ i think I got my share + a server...

Paragraph 1: Yes we agree on "people are dumb".

Paragraph 2: I'm not against these things in essence. What I'm against it's that :
    A/ It's the same course of action which have proven not to be successful. ok, granted "in the long run".
    B/ Every time some stranger throws this kind of idea, it's like everybody forgets all the good suggestions that was made before. I exclude myself from this if you ever think I could bring something good. I can only understand their frustration when these guys took the time to write it, pointing out things accurately, and give it for free (the good idea). And most of all when I can agree with them ( :) ), nah joking I'm just not the "lol, awesome!! expressive guy".

And this is exactly what happened before. A Skin, a build xxx improving performances and... hopes for the next build about everything else.

If you look at it, Siege mode, and Faded are away from their initial builds but they are clearly reproducing NS2 game specific sequences like "ARCing and protect the stuff" of "Fade hunt". They did better than any tuto and video on that.

Rookies need a training facilities. It can be a map and a special game mode in which they can play with other people online for example. A combat mode of some sort. Why is that, because we know 100% for sure that they will try to connect to a server as soon as the game is installed, ignoring any tuto/sand box game mode in the menu. So, getting them in this kind of thing first (a rookies specific training facility) may help.

I mean all those lasting /sustainable solutions that are efficient in the end. To at least make them learn the game (so they don't get shout at or obliterated like in any MOBA) and play decently and get a good game experience.

Skins are like Chupa-chups. People suck on it for a time. Then they throw it away like toilet paper.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The skin packs aren't really a good comparison since there isn't any sort of draw like the marketplace has had for other games. You play the game, maybe you like it, if you do you might buy some skins and that's where it ends.

With the marketplace people can get rewarded for playing the game, the items they acquire and decorate themselves have real value to them(I just got $10 off a crate for playing Killing Floor 2) It creates more draw for people to make skins as they can be monetarily rewarded for doing so, and it also can be used to fund tournaments as seen from other games.

Hopefully some of the previous dlc could be split up to be marketable items, which would be a net gain for everyone involved. If they can make an attachment system like Valve has for their games they could make the players more customizable too, like putting the reaper color pattern on a shadow onos or putting the special edition black armor pattern on the assault armor.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that supporting the marketplace would be the only thing the new development team could do, as it would be running parallel to the general game improvements they're planning on.
    edited December 2015
    I have an idea on how you can incorporate players viewing their skins/models during game:

The third person feature in in the game currently, but can only be used when cheats are on in a server. By using this function, you can view your player model. My idea is to have this added to the pregame and/or ready room. You could bind a button to this function. So let's say you just changed your marine player model, but it would be nice to view it in game so you know it's working - you push the corresponding view player model button and you see your player model.

This way, you don't have to code something totally new to the game, it's already there. You just have to make sure it only works during pregame/ready room and possibly add a bind for it. The bind could explain it doesn't work during gameplay or something. This could make having new skins/models fun and more incentive for people to get more.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The third person feature in in the game currently, but can only be used when cheats are on in a server. By using this function, you can view your player model. My idea is to have this added to the pregame and/or ready room. You could bind a button to this function. So let's say you just changed your marine player model, but it would be nice to view it in game so you know it's working - you push the corresponding view player model button and you see your player model.

This way, you don't have to code something totally new to the game, it's already there. You just have to make sure it only works during pregame/ready room and possibly add a bind for it. The bind could explain it doesn't work during gameplay or something. This could make having new skins/models fun and more incentive for people to get more.
    So silly. Go to costumization menu to view your model.
    _INTER_ wrote: »

So silly. Go to costumization menu to view your model.

Everything is silly. Just saying it's possibly it could be nice to see it in game - I think it could be more incentive to get more skins. Yeah you can view it on the customization screen, but it's not the same. It goes well with the new skins that are probably going to be added to the game. I think newer players would appreciate it too.
  • criticalpwnagecriticalpwnage The Desert Join Date: 2015-12-22 Member: 210205Members
    Cosmetics could be interesting, but I support them only if you don't introduce different rarities and crates.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cosmetics could be interesting, but I support them only if you don't introduce different rarities and crates.

what a bloody fantastic idea!
    especially because it's so unique, no one has ever done that!