Best game I have ever played, except...

SrengiSrengi Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155012Members
There is little to no replay value. Why? No multiplayer. Sorry it is constantly being brought up but, seriously? Really? Are you playing a sick joke on us?

Successful PC single player games are a thing of the past, or at the very least being phased out.

Me and my brother bought this game because we scuba dive together and thought it would be awesome to "kind of" do that when we were miles away and in a much more dangerous/survival environment. Imagine my horror when I realized there was no MP. WTF kind of survivor game these days doesn't have MP?!?! It wasn't even a thought that MP wouldn't be offered, ESPECIALLY from a company whose last title was MP ONLY! (Loved NS2 btw)

At least 90%+ of the people I play 7d2d and ARK with, won't even CONSIDER this game because it is single player. At the very least it is a shame they will never experience the grand reef, mushroom forests, floating island or the kelp forests (kelp forest my favorite biome by far!). They will never get the satisfaction of building their first moon pool or crafting their first workbench.

You are missing out on a ton of sales and money by making this amazing game SP only. No one wants to play alone these days, and I don't blame them.

Comments

• AnarchAnarch Around Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206928Members
    It is still in development and it is not that they are not considering multiplayer for later but now that is not the priority. And it is their business. It is not an overnight job to change the code either. Stop acting like a 5 year old. Thank you.
  • TydalTydal Join Date: 2015-11-15 Member: 209277Members
    edited December 2015
    Of course 90% of the people you talk to in massive multiplayer survival games aren't interested in single player... talk about a biased sample.

There is already a ton of stuff they have on their list to work on for the single player, and I think that should be the sole focus. Not every game needs an unthought out multiplayer mode that takes away tons of development resources. Some of the best games that have ever been made have been single player.

The story and atmosphere of this game fits way better as a single player experience IMO.

• EpicIan60142EpicIan60142 Illinois Join Date: 2015-08-18 Member: 207263Members
    Eldeberon wrote: »
    I too felt this game needed a MP aspect as I wanted a game to share. Then I played it. I still wanted to share because the experience is wonderful, but I quickly realized part of that experience was only possible in single player.

When you climb out of that sparking life pod and look around, when you realize you are in an all ocean world with no visible land, no supplies, and know you are completely alone, there is a psychological effect. Even though it’s just a game, you say to yourself “Oh Crap! Are you kidding me?”

Then you realize that it is all on you to stay alive. This is a very powerful aspect of the game that would otherwise be diluted to something more akin to a game where you go scuba diving with a friend.

I personally feel—if developed well—this has the potential to be one of the best games ever made—at least for people who enjoy this genre. Subnautica could be to the Minecraft-style of gaming, what Half-life was to the early Doom shooters—that game that perfected the genre by taking the developed system and forming into a full-fledge gaming experience.

Subnautica has managed to walk a difficult tightrope. Most sandbox games are either lacking in motivation, or make the player feel as if they have a gun pointed to their head—because you have a handful of minutes to protect yourself or you’ll die (usually by zombies or other creatures that comes out at night). Then either the game loses all tension, or a series of new dangers present themselves leaving the player the sense of being on a useless treadmill.

Subnautica (after you catch some fish and make drinkable water) lets you stop and think, and progress at a reasonable and satisfying speed, but the very dynamics of the game (having no convenient place to store things) drives a player to want to build a base. Then there is the natural desire to explore the wreckage. And this intuitive game design that doesn’t require a player to be told what to do, but nevertheless provides something to do, is masterful and reminds me of the game Journey.

Should this game develop a self-discovering story and optional endgame though the recovery of items in the wreckage that spurs the player to say, build a transmitter to Earth, and thereby lead to learning about the mysterious cause of the crash, other new development, and the eventually ending with establishing of a colony, this would be astounding.

The loneliness, and the desire to contact others is part of the motivation to play the game, so I’m not certain multiplayer is the best choice—unless it is in a purely “creative” mode.

I need to frame this on my wall XD
  • R1600TurboR1600Turbo AZ, USA Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204090Members
    Srengi wrote: »
    There is little to no replay value. Why? No multiplayer. Sorry it is constantly being brought up but, seriously? Really? Are you playing a sick joke on us?

Successful PC single player games are a thing of the past, or at the very least being phased out.

Me and my brother bought this game because we scuba dive together and thought it would be awesome to "kind of" do that when we were miles away and in a much more dangerous/survival environment. Imagine my horror when I realized there was no MP. WTF kind of survivor game these days doesn't have MP?!?! It wasn't even a thought that MP wouldn't be offered, ESPECIALLY from a company whose last title was MP ONLY! (Loved NS2 btw)

At least 90%+ of the people I play 7d2d and ARK with, won't even CONSIDER this game because it is single player. At the very least it is a shame they will never experience the grand reef, mushroom forests, floating island or the kelp forests (kelp forest my favorite biome by far!). They will never get the satisfaction of building their first moon pool or crafting their first workbench.

You are missing out on a ton of sales and money by making this amazing game SP only. No one wants to play alone these days, and I don't blame them.

Say it with me: Early Access. Early Access. Early Access.........

Which simply means, you are playing a game that is in constant development. It is not finished. Multi-player is planned, but it's not a priority right now. Do a search on here, there are multiple threads on the subject.
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    This game obviously isn't for you then. Multiplayer isn't what this game is (or would be) about. Also Multiplayer has been brought up again and again on the forums. Go talk on those posts, don't make another one.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    No one wants to play alone these days, and I don't blame them.

Really? Well, you don't speak for me. I prefer SP to MP.
  • LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    Successful PC single player games are a thing of the past, or at the very least being phased out

If I have a look at best selling games on Steam, I see Assassins Creed: Syndicate, Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, Metal Gear Solid 5, Besiege, Witcher Trilogy Pack, Undertale, Plague Inc: Evolved, Far Cry: Primal, Terraria and the Forest. All of them Single player games (or single player-focused). And more are coming e.g. Deus Ex: Mankind divided. And you mean to say the SP genre is dying out?
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    I actually enjoy single player!!!!

Also imagine the people who can't afford BIG computers, subnautica already takes a lot of CPU so multiplayer is not always the MAIN goal when creating a game.

P.S. ^^^ is a example, multiplayer is great.
    LordDerp wrote: »
    Successful PC single player games are a thing of the past, or at the very least being phased out

If I have a look at best selling games on Steam, I see Assassins Creed: Syndicate, Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, Metal Gear Solid 5, Besiege, Witcher Trilogy Pack, Undertale, Plague Inc: Evolved, Far Cry: Primal, Terraria and the Forest. All of them Single player games (or single player-focused). And more are coming e.g. Deus Ex: Mankind divided. And you mean to say the SP genre is dying out?

And you mean to say the SP genre is dying out? !!!????!!!
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Even if you are talking about the first playthrough alone, SN easily gives 20+ hours of entertainment to get all the tech, explore around, etc. (unless you use cheats).

Given the $20 pricetag of the game, paying $1 for each hour of entertainment is at/below the cost most other types of digital entertainment.

So, I ask "So what?" if it has no multiplayer? You are still getting value for your money. If you are tired of it after the first play-through, stop playing it. But don't say it wasn't worth your money.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue

@Srengi

SOOOOOOOOOO much FAIL in this post. The problem is you made a tonne of assumptions about Subnautica, and now, because you ASSUMED wrong, you thought you'd slap the developers with an Oh No you don't know what your doing post.

How about I deconstruct your post line by line and clear things up for you:

No Multiplayer - First off, there MAY be multiplayer developed in the future, so don't get your knickers in a twist.
    2nd - Not a sick joke, just because you are incapable of enjoying anything on your own, doesn't mean anyone else is.

Oh, and for what I can tell, so far this year Single Player games have sold very well. I suggest you come back with some hard evidence saying they aren't selling at all, I mean, two of the biggest games this year, The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, guess what? Both Singleplayer.

You and your brother both bought a game without reading about it, well, rather than complain, I suggest you learn a lesson about thinking before you act.

Oh, and another ASS umption you made is that Subnautica is a Survival game, again, IT IS NOT. It is an exploration game with Survival elements.

All those people that won't even consider because it is singleplayer.... Good, let them stick to their COD and other games. If anyone is so up their own ass they will only play a game if it is singleplayer, or only play a game if it is multi-player, well, they aren't worth caring about either....

Your assumption they are missing out on a tonne of money, is just that, another, probably MASSIVELY innacurate statement.

But hey, it's the internet right. Who cares about being a logical, respectful human being, when we can all be demanding little spoilt brat children instead:D
  • LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

@Srengi

SOOOOOOOOOO much FAIL in this post. The problem is you made a tonne of assumptions about Subnautica, and now, because you ASSUMED wrong, you thought you'd slap the developers with an Oh No you don't know what your doing post.

No Multiplayer - First off, there MAY be multiplayer developed in the future, so don't get your knickers in a twist.
    2nd - Not a sick joke, just because you are incapable of enjoying anything on your own, doesn't mean anyone else is.

Oh, and for what I can tell, so far this year Single Player games have sold very well. I suggest you come back with some hard evidence saying they aren't selling at all, I mean, two of the biggest games this year, The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, guess what? Both Singleplayer.

You and your brother both bought a game without reading about it, well, rather than complain, I suggest you learn a lesson about thinking before you act.

Oh, and another ASS umption you made is that Subnautica is a Survival game, again, IT IS NOT. It is an exploration game with Survival elements.

All those people that won't even consider because it is singleplayer.... Good, let them stick to their COD and other games. If anyone is so up their own ass they will only play a game if it is singleplayer, or only play a game if it is multi-player, well, they aren't worth caring about either....

Your assumption they are missing out on a tonne of money, is just that, another, probably MASSIVELY innacurate statement.

But hey, it's the internet right. Who cares about being a logical, respectful human being, when we can all be demanding little spoilt brat children instead:D

Damn son, that's some serious ranting right there :joy: But I agree
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    edited December 2015
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

@Srengi

@Srengi needs some Aloe Vera for that burn!!! But he's right ^^^^^^^^^^

Quick Tip: You need to read over your post BEFORE you post it!!! (@Srengi)

Come on man…

SMH...

What did you expect, we just say "Ya your right, SCREW the developers, Since you think its bad, it must obviously be bad, Yay"

Besides that your are entitled to your opinion…

Lets take that statement apart

You are entitled, entitled mean belong, so opinion = you

bad opinion = bad you

Alright! Ok… just be careful when making rash comments, as others will judge you one what you put!!!!

P.S. I wish there was like a "Horrible" button.