Well, that's a bit of a mess - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited December 2015 in NS2 General Discussion

imageWell, that's a bit of a mess - Natural Selection 2

Today a new NS2 update was released on Steam. It seems it didn’t go quite to plan. There may be some major technical issues with it, centred on hit-detection. This is...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Either UWE is resuming NS2 development and experimenting with new methods, or the CDT is still developing NS2 as they have. The two can’t coexist, or we’ll get an uncoordinated crapshoot of conflicting changes."

What will become of CDT then? I feel they will no longer have a place with this renewed focus on NS2, you said so yourself "The two can’t coexist, or we’ll get an uncoordinated crapshoot of conflicting changes."

Does this mean the remaining members of the CDT will slowly fade into the background and just provide "suggestive" changes in the future? Or will you bring them on board with this new build method you wish to implement?

Treat them as external contractors as it were?

Thanks.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Does this mean the remaining members of the CDT will slowly fade into the background

I'm having trouble articulating a useful answer to this question. I tried in the big Ironhorse Q&A, but I don't think it came across very well. But can't keep running from it, so I'll try again now! I know it still won't be up to scratch, but please know I'm trying to get better at this. Here goes:

I hope not. The CDT is wonderful entity, I and others at UWE, including the newly hired NS2 development team, want to preserve, nurture, and grow it. We need to come up with clever ways to allow the CDT to contribute. 'Suggestions' would be pretty awful and I don't think anyone would be motivated by a suggestion based system. I am confident we will find a much better system, and that NS2 will be much stronger for it.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    First this:
    "The CDT is a brilliant entity. There’s got to be some clever thinking about how CDT and Unknown Worlds can coexist. There’s no value in conceptualising the situation as a binary model where either CDT exists, and Unknown Worlds doesn’t develop NS2, or where Unknown Worlds returns to NS2, and the CDT dissolves."

Now this:
    "Either UWE is resuming NS2 development and experimenting with new methods, or the CDT is still developing NS2 as they have. The two can’t coexist, or we’ll get an uncoordinated crapshoot of conflicting changes."

So which one is it?
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hugh wrote: »
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Does this mean the remaining members of the CDT will slowly fade into the background

I'm having trouble articulating a useful answer to this question. I tried in the big Ironhorse Q&A, but I don't think it came across very well. But can't keep running from it, so I'll try again now! I know it still won't be up to scratch, but please know I'm trying to get better at this. Here goes:

I hope not. The CDT is wonderful entity, I and others at UWE, including the newly hired NS2 development team, want to preserve, nurture, and grow it. We need to come up with clever ways to allow the CDT to contribute. 'Suggestions' would be pretty awful and I don't think anyone would be motivated by a suggestion based system. I am confident we will find a much better system, and that NS2 will be much stronger for it.

Thanks for the reply,

That's much better worded Hugh lol.

From a playtester perspective, I would hope the remaining CDT members and the close working partnership that was formed between the playtesters & maptesters will not be forgotten about, despite the build method that is used being considered old, it still remained a high effectively collaborative effort between UWE, CDT and playtester & maptester alike albeit with minor "hiccups" every now and then such as this hiccup with 278, I hope a clear solution can be created between ns2devs and CDT regarding what is expected from both parties.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Decoy wrote: »
    I'm rereading posts and trying to decipher what all this means. You want the CDT to exist but you say we can't coexist with UWE development. So you have a desire for the CDT to exist but you think that it should just be killed off as to not interfere with UWE development? That's what this post sounds like you're saying.

These random blog posts are confusing and I don't know that they add much value. They seem to have of words but don't really say much. Lots of fluff and not much stuff. Make it brief but with actual information: A patch was pushed, there were hitreg issues, if we can't resolve them quickly then the patch willl be reverted. We hear the community, this is unacceptable to both you and the development team, it will be fixed ASAP. Short, sweet, and to the point.

There MAY BE, Decoy, not were. Just thought I wanted to make that clear.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    @Aeglos There's been internal discussion and a number of videos shared that make it pretty clear there are issues with the hitreg. Enough that it was decided it's either getting fixed or the patch reverted. It's not really a "may be" hitreg issues, it's pretty agreed upon that it's a thing. And judging g by Hugh's throwing the CDT under the bus, it's pretty obvious that there are problems with this build :P
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    So, what is wrong with the 278 build? They just say something about it being broken and then it's not explained why. Or am I not reading it right?
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    @Aeglos There's been internal discussion and a number of videos shared that make it pretty clear there are issues with the hitreg. Enough that it was decided it's either getting fixed or the patch reverted. It's not really a "may be" hitreg issues, it's pretty agreed upon that it's a thing. And judging g by Hugh's throwing the CDT under the bus, it's pretty obvious that there are problems with this build :P

Oh, I know that. But that was direct from the news post.
    There MAY BE some major technical issues with it, centred on hit-detection.
    Its pretty clear that why the blog post wasn't short and concise was because that wasn't the intention. Rather, it is a long attempt to absolve responsibility and its nothing new. See how there is no apology anywhere by the way.
    edited December 2015
    RejZoR wrote: »
    So, what is wrong with the 278 build? They just say something about it being broken and then it's not explained why. Or am I not reading it right?

Oh @RejZoR , damn you and your gorge rush the other day on wooza 42, marines were closing in on aliens platform hive fast, then low and behold, rush on reception sealed our fates!
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    @RejZoR There are issues with hitreg right now. Lots of shots where you see blood but there's no damage. Anecdotally it seems to be more noticeable with low ping players vs high ping players. The programmers will be checking into it and deciding on a solution today. Hopefully it's quick and easy!

@Aeglos You're right. Discussion has been happening all through early morning about it and how it's going to be addressed and why it happrned. Since there is no apology allow me: I'm sorry that this got through. It's a big deal and it's going to get fixed ASAP. The CDT is not pleased about it happening and always feels terrible about big bugs like this going live. I can promise that the CDT won't let happen ever again (but only because apparently the CDT can't exist anymore, ha ;) ). To be honest with you, the playtest teams really need more people and I think that's part of why it made its way to live. I hope that things like this get caught early in the future
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    WTF guys... don't you TEST your shit?!... there is NO propper PregamePlus.. there is NO SHUFFLE?! ... ppl complaining about the hit reg... wtF is going on?! .. my server is a MESS right now.... and 60% rooks that take away a below zero game experience.... W... T... FFFFF
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    roll back.. IMEDIATLEY!!!.. keep your fingers off it!!! Let the CDT do it! you can't prog shit.. stick to your guns, wich is gameplay.. you don't have a CLUE about game engines!
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Er, bit lost for words. Lets try this:

Revert to 277 right now. There are minimal changes in 278, losing a weekend worth of players -- new and experienced alike -- is the worst thing for NS2 right now. Just revert, take time and test the next patch.

Also, huge kudos the CDT, love what you've done. Don't have words to express my thanks. Not sure about this whole transition to UWE, but it's not like the community had a vote on this.

Anyway, revert the patch. Right now.

@HEllrunner2k Your post was entirely rude and kind of unnecessary. If you read the posts it's clear that the issues are being worked on and should be fixed ASAP. Shuffle (part of shine) and pregame plus are mods and are likely to break with updates. The only shuffle that is in the game officially is "force even teams". Hopefully this situation will be fixed later today. And as Hugh wants everyone to know, this patch was done by the CDT, not UWE. UWE apparently takes over on Monday, so hope for a better tomorrow
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Does this mean that if things go wrong, we won't see changes from 278 implemented into the game like the trim-tool if your new update circle is being used from monday on?

Btw, UWE couldn't handle a slow update circle correctly in the past, why do you think a faster update circle will present a better result? Did something change in the way you do QA now?

And to be clear, "the newly hired ns2 development team" is just the CDT with less people or did you hire new personal specifically for the ns2 development?
    edited December 2015
    @Decoy I'm not RUDE at all... what's happening right now is DEVASTATING to the community... I don't care what you think you know.. I only say what's NECCESARRY right now... I have a playerbase to maintain and rookies to please.. It ALL was fine and acceptable till yesterday midnight... now BASE PILLARS of the game are broken due to NO or no sufficient testing... Hell... try it on my server ffs... we are more than willing to improve the experience.. BUT ,.. if the experience AFTER a patch is WORSE than before, what's the point of the patch?!... I can't justify this.. I can't explain this.. How am I supposted to keep rooks playing if it's FUCKED UP like this? ... PLEASE.. ROLL BACK... and get your shit straight!

Shine and NS2+ are MANDATORY and should be worked on at the same time... there is NO excuse to leave these FOUNDATIONS of NS2 out of the equation!!!

You can't call a process that involves 5 ppl... and a week of time.. playtesting... choose a public server next time and test it under REAL LIFE conditions.. INVOLVING NS2+ and Shine... everything else is just unrealistic and silly

THX for the CDT for all the work... I don't wanna be disregarding... but My real Life server has real fife problems right now

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Of course, many people on the CDT are super keen to fix it themselves. Which is awesome, but also presents problems. Either UWE is resuming NS2 development and experimenting with new methods, or the CDT is still developing NS2 as they have. The two can’t coexist, or we’ll get an uncoordinated crapshoot of conflicting changes.

Wash2_zps9a47443d.gif
  • robinhood752robinhood752 Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187379Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    If you read the posts it's clear that the issues are being worked on and should be fixed ASAP.

Asap is not a date and to tell the truth any date but today is not good enough, game as it is now is completely unplayable, roll back and then experiment as much as you want, unwillingness to do so is just lazy and irresponsible!
  • NS3DreamNS3Dream USA Join Date: 2015-11-22 Member: 209422Members
    How many broken patches did UWE release when they were doing them full time, I kinda lost count. So give the CDT team some credit for trying to save the game and for people fixing the problems UWE couldn't.
    For me this seems like an excuse from UWE to get rid of CDT team and get in control of the game for 3months and after that quit again and start making some single player exploration game because they are burned out and their PR persons vision of millions didin't come true.

PS: I don't think UWE's PR/Business person can co-exists with NS, nothing but problems from the start.
    @robinhood752 It is the #1 priority for today. If things can't be hotfixed, it will be rolled back to 277.
    edited December 2015
    @Yojimbo
    That's all fair and fine... I don't SAY "you are assholes"... I say things, in regard of the resources have been missmanaged... You can't tell me that there are no servers that would cooperate for a better game experience. the PR for NS2 is almost as bad as the game itself right now... Too much focus on the casual BS and no emphasis on the HARDCORE E-Sport is actually is... misscommunication kills... this is more like it

but that's a different story... like I said... HB for instance WAS testing for NSL Maps and the shine Epsilon Beta... there is NO reason to NOT involve server owners in the process of making the game better... infact it would be the sensical thing to do.. everything else is just hoping for the best and could potentially end up in a desaster like this
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    joshhh wrote: »
    Regarding the CDT/UWE Merger... obviously everyone is still confused as fck about what is actually happening. The number of nonsense blog posts regarding the matter have been astounding. Y'all need to make it clear what is actually happening...

Yeah...