Regularly updated: NS2 News

Comments

• NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    Pelargir wrote: »
    TWEET: The new NS2 dev team has written an overview of what will possibly supervene on NS2. You might want to have a look: https://goo.gl/VIb4ou

Pretty.

Holy crap is this document a joke? It's not April Fools Day yet.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Pelargir wrote: »
    mattji104 wrote: »
    @Pelargir I believe you forgot the greatest and most popular crosshairs known to ns

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=171041786

Crafted by Decoy? No way, haha.

@Decoy tell him what's up
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited December 2015
    Oh nice. The inconsistent wording on these is funny, though:
    Kill a Marine with a Jetpack
    Kill an Alien with a Shotgun
    Might make rookies think aliens can get JPs or shotties. :P

As far as achievements go, I have some ideas. Inside jokes are great too:

Marksman: Kill an Alien with the Pistol.
    Meatshot: Shoot an Alien with 17 Shotgun pellets.
    Instagib: Kill an Alien with the Railgun.
    Shotty Sniper: Kill an Alien xx meters away from you with the Shotgun.
    Upgrade Sniper: Kill three evolution structures in quick succession.
    Adrenaline Junkie: Kill an Onos with a Rifle Bash.
    Last Resort: Kill an Alien with the Welder.
    Lumberjack: Kill an Alien structure with the Switch-Axe.
    Team Player: Weld a teammate to full armor.
    Gorgecraft: Build ten clogs.
    Flash Fade: Die as a Fade within two minutes of evolving.
    Booby Trap: Kill an enemy and yourself using Mines.
    Bacon Denied: Kill an Observatory during a Distress Beacon.
    Blind Shot: Shoot and kill an enemy past the draw distance.
    Found Ya!: Kill a camouflaged alien.
    Predator: Kill an enemy during a blackout.
    Slippery Fish: Enter the hive while you're being attacked.
    Whip Army: Echo five+ whips to a contaminated room.
    Hive Rush: Drop a hive within the first minute of a round.
    Penny Pincher: Amass 100 personal resources, you cheap bastard.
    BOOM!: Kill five+ Marines with Xenocide.
    Honest Mistake: Die to an environmental hazard.
    Equilibrium: Start a force even teams vote.
    Decked Out: Unlock a DLC skin or decal.

I could go on and on...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    As far as achievements go I think we should prioritize it on achievements that promote teamwork and teach players advanced gameplay features, like welding milestones, defending a phasegate with mines, bile-bombing advanced weaponry, and saving people with commander abilities.

An open discussion would probably be beneficial to everyone on that matter.

Also in regards to the art & dlc portion, I'm indifferent to the whole cs:go matter but I would really like to be able to use various armor camos I purchased on other marine model types. Like using the Elite Assault or Special Edition color variants on any of my unlocked armors.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hmm I do not understand everything because I don't play CS: GO, PayDay 2, Killing Floor 2 or Battlefront. But what I understand is: Achievements that dictate people how to play or what to do. INGAME drops of things? People wearing hats and other weird looking things that kill atmoshpere. And many paid DLCs.
    Sorry but those ideas sound terrible. I hope I have misunderstood all the things.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have only one question regarding steam achievements, will everyone have to earn these achievements on equal footing or will veterans have most of these albeit the hardest ones already unlocked?
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    As much as I approve of the idea to bring achivements in NS2 I think we should be careful with achivements like

- Hive Rush : Drop a hive within the first minute of a round.
    - Penny Pincher : Amass 100 personal resources, you cheap bastard.
    - "Who needs phasegates anyway" : In a round, never place a phasegate as marine commander->Brings new tactics

In my opinion achivements like these might encourage players to play for the achivements more than for the team. A commander dropping a hive within the first minute or never dropping pgs although they are highly needed might create a worse experience than it might help.

What do you guys think about achivements connected with numbers?
    Kill a skulk, kill 10 skulks, Kill 100 skulks, kill 1000 skulks, ...
    Command a round, command 10 rounds, ...

Although these are not achivements you can actively try to unlock (like commanding aliens and drop a hive at round start) but I think for a lot of players today it might still be appealing to aim for achivements like this, especially if they are connected with some neat goodies. Maybe display the achivements and their current status (573/1000 skulk kills) somewhere ingame or give the player a neat title or some skin/badge/whatever for it.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Anzestral wrote: »
    As much as I approve of the idea to bring achivements in NS2 I think we should be careful with achivements like

- "Who needs phasegates anyway" : In a round, never place a phasegate as marine commander->Brings new tactics

In my opinion achivements like these might encourage players to play for the achivements more than for the team. A commander dropping a hive within the first minute or never dropping pgs although they are highly needed might create a worse experience than it might help.

What do you guys think about achivements connected with numbers?
    Kill a skulk, kill 10 skulks, Kill 100 skulks, kill 1000 skulks, ...
    Command a round, command 10 rounds, ...

Although these are not achivements you can actively try to unlock (like commanding aliens and drop a hive at round start) but I think for a lot of players today it might still be appealing to aim for achivements like this, especially if they are connected with some neat goodies. Maybe display the achivements and their current status (573/1000 skulk kills) somewhere ingame or give the player a neat title or some skin/badge/whatever for it.
    This is the exact reason why I think achievements are always a bad thing for multiplayer games. Playing for an achievement means you do not play for your team. This is okay in CoD where you only care about your unlocks but in NS2 the goal of every round is to win the game. Achievements give players a different goal. Achievements like "Kill 1 Skulk, 10 Skulks, 100 Skulks" is OKAY because you do not aim for it but unlock it by playing. But it should never change your style of playing. And achievements like "Don't drop phase gates", "kill Gorge" or "kill Fade with mine" absolutely do that. I can see marines jumping around fades placing mines in panic mode.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2015
    Anzestral wrote: »

You can still add requirements to such achievements, for example you need to win as commander when you choose to play without pg's.

Achievements like "kill 1 skulks", "kill 10skulks" and so on are just attracting achievements hunters. They will no longer play the game when they have all the achievements, or most. They just doing this to push their overall achievement completion rate on Steam.

Achievements should not attract new players straight away. Achievements should attract people that already know the game and spent hours into learning the basics. With those achievements they can see more advanced techniques they might try. This helps the player retention. You can still have some basic achievements that new players can unlock quick, but the focus should not be to flood them with achievements for basic action
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't say I have ever actively played a game purely for achievements unless my achievement % is like 90% out of a hundred then I would adjust my gameplay accordingly to acquire those achievements.

Much more fun to just unlock shit as you go along ;-)
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    There will need to be a award like skins for having a sertan amount of achievements like special shoulder pads or babblar skins what ever aslong you get a award for doing the achievements.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I'm glad that a small feature like Steam achievements arouses a such significant reaction from the players. So keep arguing! :)
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Do not forget one rewarding georges for building stuff.

Fast Hive: help your team build the hive in less than 30 seconds.

Down with the Kharaa!: Kill a hive from full health to 0 in <30 seconds.

You should be able to have a counter for how many times you have done some of these. Things like building a hive quickly with your team or killing one fast together should be rewarded multiple times.

There should be one for saving a structure that only has one hit left on it.

I do agree that having some basic training ones could help noobs like having one for building the power first and an advanced one for building it to <100 and >90% finishing the rt or any other building and then finishing the power. Other things like rewarding using the boosters on the exo or running with your axe also could help noobs. For the running with the axe something like:

Running to the kill: Kill a skulk after switching from your axe while running.

There should be a reward for winning a game where you played longer than an hour. It should state how long you were playing so you could even increase it. There is so many of us who like to tell stories of the times we played a really long game. There could even be one for when you lose a really long game:

So close yet so far: Lose a game where you were playing for over an hour.

I think there is a lot of room for very creative achievements that reward team play and or encourage community interaction. Therefore, clearly the most important achievement should be for using a mic! lol

• WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    TGNS added a fully automated achievement system in April 2014. Having distributed thousands of badges to hundreds of community regulars at this point, it has had some of the effects on our community that I see folks wanting a similar system to have on the title's community at large, and it has been a lot of fun so far. Here are some notes, in case they're helpful to anyone designing something similar (some of our design decisions aren't appropriate for a title-wide system):

TGNS Badges provides lots of scoreboard badges that every player earns just by playing. Each badge has four levels, with varying amounts of difficulty. The player uses the TGNS Portal to specify which earned badge appears on their scoreboard row. When the server's full of regulars, the scoreboard is adorned with all sorts of colorful badges.

Core to our badge design strategy is enhancing the experience for the playerbase at large. We cater to that potential with every badge we design. That has been pretty challenging and very rewarding.

All badges require multiple games to earn. A few badges appear very quickly for new visitors ("wait. what? There are MORE badges?!"), while months of play is required for some of our highest level badges. We quietly and regularly roll out new badges, and players' past playtime data applies retroactively to the progress of newly released badges.

Seeing what others have earned is the only way to learn what's possible -- there is no published list of earnable badges. The system doesn't show a player his progress toward next levels, as it's more important to pursue the rewarded behavior than it is to pursue the reward itself.

When we launched the system, we published a list of prerequisites which must be met for any game before that game will contribute any progress toward any badge, and no one player can meet these game prerequisites alone (e.g. this much game duration, that many community regulars playing for the game's entire duration, etc, etc). This design makes abuse much less likely (similarly important: it makes the /perception/ of abuse much less likely).

During early design, we had concerns about badge chasers, but it really hasn't been a problem during the offering's first 18 months (that is: it has happened, but its effect has been negligible and all too easy to manage). We haven't had gameplay significantly threatened by what little badge chasing we've seen -- indeed, I would describe as "healthy and fun" the level of badge chasing we've seen (and that's despite a silly badge or three; one of our badges is possible only through Team Surrender, for example). I'm too inexperienced as an achievements system designer to say how much of the "things have gone well" credit should go to the players as opposed to the badge requirement designs themselves.

Overall, the achievement system has been a big success for TGNS regulars. I've never gotten too involved in chasing achievements in my own gameplay, and I've been pleasantly surprised to watch the enthusiasm and interest some players have shown for being given a fun challenge to pursue alongside normal play.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    That is one of the most widespread misconceptions in the game. You actually run just as fast with your pistol as you do your axe.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    Golden wrote: »
    A comprehensive tutorial is a prerequisite to any of these suggestions. The ability to retain new players is dependent on them not becoming frustrated within 20 minutes of beginning to play

Honestly I don't think any of these additions will bring new players to the game, the first priority should be bringing back the old community to get the game off life support. That said if you really want to make the game more accessible to new players, there's a solution that has already been proven to work in NS1 - bring back combat mode. Even with an awesome tutorial, the RTS mode is still going to be scary to new players because it's just fundamentally a lot deeper than your typical shooter. And there are some players who just aren't interested in that period. And yes NS2: Combat was a flop, but I think making that a standalone game was a mistake - it sacrificed the original reason Combat was added to NS1, which was to help populate empty NS servers, plus it also cut loose the existing playerbase that had already purchased NS2.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Nordic wrote: »
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    That is one of the most widespread misconceptions in the game. You actually run just as fast with your pistol as you do your axe.

Oh, I never knew that lol. I just felt like I was going faster with the axe but apparently my mind was just working faster going oh shit I am running around with an axe lol.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    IIRC pistol used to have weight in the early days so the axe used to be the best option.
    I was always under the impression that running with a pistol or an axe does not make a difference in speed if you are also carrying your primary, if you dropped your LMG you would get the speed benefit however.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    I was always under the impression that running with a pistol or an axe does not make a difference in speed if you are also carrying your primary, if you dropped your LMG you would get the speed benefit however.

You do run faster with your pistol out. Check with debug_speed in console. I used to not think it was a significant amount until I noticed Marines with pistols were passing me sprinting with LMG.
  • NS3DreamNS3Dream USA Join Date: 2015-11-22 Member: 209422Members
    You keep talking about NS2 gameplay and how achievements affect the gameplay, but still there are 2 Wooza servers with 40 player slots. Is this how the game is supposed to be played then, masses vs masses ?
    New players just join these 20vs20 horror servers because they usually have most players, and end up playing DM/Push ''tactic'' games instead of truly playing NS. Get rid of these mega servers, and bring back those max 16 slot servers for pubgames, then talk about how achievements affects the game.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    joshhh wrote: »
    IIRC pistol used to have weight in the early days so the axe used to be the best option.

The old philosophical debate about the pros and cons of keeping your pistol at spawn
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

The old philosophical debate about the pros and cons of keeping your pistol at spawn

Ha, pretty sure there was a time where I would drop the pistol. Your base speed with an lmg was slightly increased.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Ha, pretty sure there was a time where I would drop the pistol. Your base speed with an lmg was slightly increased.

So I should stop doing that...gotcha

NS3Dream wrote: »
    You keep talking about NS2 gameplay and how achievements affect the gameplay, but still there are 2 Wooza servers with 40 player slots. Is this how the game is supposed to be played then, masses vs masses ?
    New players just join these 20vs20 horror servers because they usually have most players, and end up playing DM/Push ''tactic'' games instead of truly playing NS. Get rid of these mega servers, and bring back those max 16 slot servers for pubgames, then talk about how achievements affects the game.

I don't have a problem with these servers existing. Theres a lot of people who like that game-style, and honestly, I dont care if they chose to play there, especially new people who can "get lost in the massess" and not get raged at.

I DO think that these being the pretty much the only constantly-active servers around are a symptom of one of the biggest problems with the game today....seeding servers.

People will ALWAYS join active servers over inactive ones just because the wait time is so much smaller than seeding a server.

We need a way to connect the people looking for a server together to make seeding less time consuming. An auto-matchmaking system like people rave about would have the same problem we currently have, which is not knowing how long you will have to wait for a match.

A global and regional chat room, accesible from within a server, would give people a way to communicate and organize to get all the people waiting for a game, into a game. At the very least, they will have something to do while waiting for a round to start, and this will help a lot in keeping people engaged.

So yeah, let people play their 20v20 games, but also let people communicate and organize into other game types as well.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

hidden game mechanics *shakes fist*
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    UPDATE (Explanations)

What is going on?! Some explanations about the recent issues, changes and drama following B278.
    http://goo.gl/HlrdFr
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation

Laama actually made art form from pistol dropping. I think it's safe to say that it was his trademark. It confuse aliens when a marine suddenly move faster than normally.