We need to talk

ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
about that freaking giant planet in the sky!!!! At first I thought it was the moon but when night fell I was surprised to see the moon so small. A huge part of me now wants to know if we might explore the other planet in a sequel, or if it serves any significance besides visual wonder. There's lots the devs could potentially do now that they've piqued my interest.

Comments

• EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members
    Does our planet have two moons? (The second "planet" I believe is actually a moon. Another planet that close would not be able to result in a moon. A moon in a situation like that is impossible, as it would eventually collide with either bodies. A rather large moon though, that would work.)
    There's the small one (that looks exactly like Earth's) and the huge, epic one that's awesome.

But yeah, that bigger one would make a great sequel. I feel as if though that a planet's moon being habitable as well as the planet itself doesn't feel real. It's extremely rare to find a habitable planet, and I could imagine it being even harder for the moon as well.
    What would we exactly do there? Explore a barren wasteland? Build a civilization, alone? Maybe with some people who contacted us?

I would suggest the objective being building a radio tower on it, so you could contact the rest of Humanity to let them know about your tragic store. You'd have to repair the Aurora (or perhaps build a smaller ship from the materials in the Aurora) to fly to the other celestial body, and create some equipment to let people know you survived. Why not build it on the ocean planet, you say? Well, maybe the case could be the planet has too thick of an atmosphere, so the communication equipment could not be able to reach out far enough. Your character would be told to build some radio tower on Nautica, only to find that it doesn't work.

I really want some kind of a 'The Martian' feel to the situation. I want there to be so many odds against the main character, so many obstacles, that when you come out on top, you feel like some kind of hero who actually accomplished something.
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    that's no moon.....
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Just throwing this out there....what if Subnautica isnt a planet? :wink: Not saying it is or isn't. But...
  • zeusdemigod131zeusdemigod131 Illinois Join Date: 2015-11-01 Member: 208897Members
    edited November 2015
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there....what if Subnautica isnt a planet? :wink: Not saying it is or isn't. But...

What else would it be?

Edit: Oh you're implying it might be a moon, hmm, I guess that's possible.
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members

have you guys came up with a name for the "celestial body" we crashed on yet.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

Pretty sure it's just 'Subnautica'.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members

If it's an egg of a massive alien I'll be disappointed
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Seldkam wrote: »

I'd be more worried about mommy!!!
    Kouji_San wrote: »

I'd be more worried about mommy!!!

Sure, but only because that's really not a particularly "fresh" idea :P

• RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    edited November 2015

I'm looking at you, Doctor Who

I'm looking at you, Doctor Who

I was thinking of something else entirely but yea, that just proves that it's not particularly new :P
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited November 2015
    Scientist believe there may actually be more habitable moons than planets. Gas giants and other massive planets provide protective gravitational fields and can help stabilize the orbits of their satellites.

The planet Subnautica takes place on may not be a planet at all. It could be just a large moon orbiting a planet. Heck, it could be binary planet which technically is one of two moons orbiting the same barycenter.

Such limited thinking going on here...
  • EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members

I vote for Nautica. It's short and simple.
  • BullvayneBullvayne france Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209453Members
    In subnautica ... i thing we are on a moon of this giant planet in the sky ... it's not a moon ...we are on a moon :)
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members

That doesn't make much sense, since the reason for all the sub-surface stuff is the crash. You should either assign a meaningful number to it (XR47-T4-C2, for example; Star system XR47, T-class planet that's fourth in the system, C-class moon that is second closest to the planet) or just a name that could be assigned before the crash, so maybe the mentioned before "Nautica" or even something unrelated to the sea.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    We're just the little plastic diver in a gigantic alien aquarium. All we're supposed to do is make bubbles.

Aurora's mission was to clean the glass, wash the gravel and change the filter media.
  • DEEpDEEp wisconsin Join Date: 2015-02-23 Member: 201510Members

pretty sure it's a planet the story says we are hit by energy pulse while descending to start terraforming. Can we terraform something that isn't a planet?

• ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    DEEp wrote: »
    Can we terraform something that isn't a planet?

Yes,
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Terraforming (literally, "Earth-shaping") of a planet, moon, or other body is the hypothetical process of deliberately modifying its atmosphere, temperature, surface topography or ecology to be similar to the environment of Earth to make it habitable by Earth-like life.
  • DEEpDEEp wisconsin Join Date: 2015-02-23 Member: 201510Members
    Can we terraform something that isn't a planet?

Yes,
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Terraforming (literally, "Earth-shaping") of a planet, moon, or other body is the hypothetical process of deliberately modifying its atmosphere, temperature, surface topography or ecology to be similar to the environment of Earth to make it habitable by Earth-like life.
    To bad you didn't read the entire wiki planet or moon,,,, and considering the whole idea is science fiction Planet shaping is the idea behind it, no you can't terraform something that isn't a planet or moon.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    To bad you didn't read the entire wiki planet or moon,,,, and considering the whole idea is science fiction Planet shaping is the idea behind it, no you can't terraform something that isn't a planet or moon.

Did you? The wiki definition specifically says "planet, moon, or other body".
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members

I don't know if you know already but in case you don't, it does have a numeric designation - 4546B.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Aurora
  • PraetorianUKPraetorianUK UK Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207863Members
    Still waiting on the "mysterious energy pulse" that made the Aurora crash onto the "planet's" surface to be fleshed.

Also, minor plot point, but how come you were the ONLY survivor on a ship that I would assume would have hundreds if not thousands of crew and passengers? Surely, surely, if you(the guy, don't know his name!) had survived the crash, the ejection, the hostile fish and a myriad of other calamities, others must have too?

Frankly, if I was the last man left alive on an alien world with only a computer reminding me that I'm about to drown/about to get crushed by water pressure, I would probably give myself over to the Reapers. Bit morbid I know, but think how this poor colonist must feel, literally forever alone!

My point is that could the guy construct an assistant robot who could follow him around, perform tasks such as construction or deep-sea salvage or even interact and converse? I know its AI, but as films like Interstellar have shown us, robots capable of human interaction can be a good thing, especially when you just sucked down a black hole and need something real to cling to. Its not the best comparison I know, but you see my point.

TL;DR, give the guy a companion! I mean, c'mon, this ain't Minecraft!