air

IcewaveIcewave Canada Join Date: 2015-11-02 Member: 208906Members
will bases need air in the future like with pipes if yes you should add...
-hydroponic tanks
-air tanks
-larger pipes
-and more ways to get oxygen

Comments

• BullvayneBullvayne france Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209453Members
    Or simply a chemical process ... Water is H2O ... so O produce Oxygen O2 ... and H can produce energy to have elctric power
  • TydalTydal Join Date: 2015-11-15 Member: 209277Members
    I think an air purification room would be a solid addition to bases. Make them more believable, and require power to run as well.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Bullvayne wrote: »
    Or simply a chemical process ... Water is H2O ... so O produce Oxygen O2 ... and H can produce energy to have electric power

Yep. Splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen with electrolysis works just fine. Ask any nuclear submarine's crewman. Hydrogen is usually dumped overboard, but it's a useful fuel source that could be used in the game. Could be used as a rocket fuel or a fuel in a 'thermal lance' metal cutting tool.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    edited November 2015
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Hydrogen is usually dumped overboard, but it's a useful fuel source that could be used in the game. Could be used as a rocket fuel or a fuel in a 'thermal lance' metal cutting tool.
    Actually, I've done a bit of research on nuclear fusion. It requires two isotopes of hydrogen, deuterium and tritium. These, as can be assumed from the name, are the isotopes with a weight of two an three, respectively. Tritium can be easily made in most laboratories (new room?), but deuterium is the isotope found in a lot of seawater.
    Normally, fusion requires one-million-degree heat to take place, which is why current fusion explosives are actually a hybrid, about 99% fission to create the heat needed. However, there is a theoretical process, called "cold fusion," that would not require this intense heat. Since we are in the future in SN, then cold fusion isn't that far-fetched. Cold fusion, in turn, could lead to pure fusion, which is essentially fusion without needing that 99% fission trigger. Pure fusion is considerably more powerful than hybrid-fusion, with a bomb the size of a suitcase easily able to level a country the size of Kuwait.
    So, I'm thinking that if you have your laboratory, it would make tritium for you. An electrolysis machine would produce air, deuterium, and salt. If you have only deuterium OR tritium being produced, there is no effect except for a bubble stream, as it is dumped overboard for being not only useless, but radioactive. If both are being produced, however, and you have another structure (fusion reactor), then it would make more power than most bases will ever need. Current solar panels give us 25 points of power, and that's for a measly little one-square-meter solar panel. A fusion reactor, once operational, would supply literally millions of units of power.
    So, I just randomly thought of that, based on the idea to separate seawater into its base components.
    Let me know what you think.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited November 2015
    Hmmm.

While a range of scaleable fusion reactors would be the ultimate power sources in Subnautica, they might be considered way too OP by some players.

No pun intended.

Hell, we've even got folks griping about the ONE piece of real-world tech that would make actual long-term survival possible; namely the water purifier.
    I'm not one of them, incidentally.
    I'd like to see more pieces of vital equipment (med bay, science lab, life support, aquaponics farm, etc.) with varying power requirements, and possibly a power distribution and prioritization mechanism added to the game. I'm definitely up for a bit of Joule-juggling.

If Subnautica's tech were available in a real-life survival situation, building a water purifier would be an extremely high priority on the 'must do' list.
    Even being constantly immersed in salt water will eventually dehydrate human tissue. Osmosis is at work here. Water is literally being sucked out of cells by a difference in salinity between human body tissues and surrounding water, with skin acting as the permeable membrane. Under those conditions, I'd want fresh water to be as freely available as possible, even if it means incurring a reasonable penalty in terms of production time and maintenance resource costs.

If air supply and general life support mechanics for bases and submarines were implemented in Subnautica, a small but extremely vocal group of 'hard-cases' would probably emerge saying that even basic oxygen production was too 'over-powered' and seriously effected their enjoyment of the game. Probably preferring players to construct some massively complex and technologically costly device in order to produce O2 instead. It's just not necessary, and serves no appreciable purpose to drive The Survivor's story forward.

It would be much easier on everyone to consider oxygen (or at least 'atmospheric life support') as a given element of the game for the time being. The only way you can suffocate in Subnautica is by running out of air while you're swimming underwater. No problem with that at all. Considering that players can already create complex items out of basic raw materials, it's really not that far a stretch of the imagination to assume that a powered base or submersible is able to automatically create a breathable atmosphere. It may not be realistic, but this obsession with overly-complicating the game's mechanics to merely 'make things harder' has real-world repercussions. Modified in-game processes and new entity models have to be created and integrated into the game, generally slowing down the overall progress of development.

The way I see it, this apparent obsession with unnecessary tinkering around with trivial in-game mechanics probably won't make the game any 'better'.

Whenever you're considering proposing a new tech item, concept or procedure for inclusion in the game, just ask yourself this question:

'Would it really make a significant difference in how you play and enjoy the game, or is it just a cosmetic change to something that isn't actually broken?'

If you can honestly say that it doesn't add anything worthwhile to the game, it's time to come up with a new idea and put that one to the same test.
  • WerrfWerrf USA Join Date: 2015-12-01 Member: 209637Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    So, I'm thinking that if you have your laboratory, it would make tritium for you. An electrolysis machine would produce air, deuterium, and salt. If you have only deuterium OR tritium being produced, there is no effect except for a bubble stream, as it is dumped overboard for being not only useless, but radioactive. If both are being produced, however, and you have another structure (fusion reactor), then it would make more power than most bases will ever need. Current solar panels give us 25 points of power, and that's for a measly little one-square-meter solar panel. A fusion reactor, once operational, would supply literally millions of units of power.
    So, I just randomly thought of that, based on the idea to separate seawater into its base components.
    I think a fusion reactor would be a bit much for a player in survival mode - too much power, it would basically eliminate power from the equation entirely.

A better option to use up hydrogen created by an oxygenerator would be fuel cells - power cells that require two units of silicon rubber and an advanced wiring kit to create, but which can then be refilled with hydrogen to produce continuous power. It'd eliminate a lot of the grinding for battery components in the later game.
  • IcewaveIcewave Canada Join Date: 2015-11-02 Member: 208906Members
    Werrf wrote: »
    I think a fusion reactor would be a bit much for a player in survival mode - too much power, it would basically eliminate power from the equation entirely.

A better option to use up hydrogen created by an oxygenerator would be fuel cells - power cells that require two units of silicon rubber and an advanced wiring kit to create, but which can then be refilled with hydrogen to produce continuous power. It'd eliminate a lot of the grinding for battery components in the later game.

oxyogen genarator? no offense ment it's called a electrolysis machine splits water to make oxygen and hydrogen and all it needs are water and power
    i was thinking a hydrogen burner, reactor or a fuel cell
  • Monkey_MacMonkey_Mac Join Date: 2015-11-10 Member: 209147Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Hydrogen is usually dumped overboard, but it's a useful fuel source that could be used in the game. Could be used as a rocket fuel or a fuel in a 'thermal lance' metal cutting tool.
    Actually, I've done a bit of research on nuclear fusion. It requires two isotopes of hydrogen, deuterium and tritium. These, as can be assumed from the name, are the isotopes with a weight of two an three, respectively. Tritium can be easily made in most laboratories (new room?), but deuterium is the isotope found in a lot of seawater.
    Normally, fusion requires one-million-degree heat to take place, which is why current fusion explosives are actually a hybrid, about 99% fission to create the heat needed. However, there is a theoretical process, called "cold fusion," that would not require this intense heat. Since we are in the future in SN, then cold fusion isn't that far-fetched. Cold fusion, in turn, could lead to pure fusion, which is essentially fusion without needing that 99% fission trigger. Pure fusion is considerably more powerful than hybrid-fusion, with a bomb the size of a suitcase easily able to level a country the size of Kuwait.

Good idea however, when it comes to fusion deuterium is used more because it is easier to fuse than tritium.

Currently fusion can't be started with human technology without at minimum deuterium, which is slightly harder to manufacture.

Cold fusion at the moment utilises other techniques such as acceleration, think LHC, to give the atoms the required energy to provide fusion. So either way a large amount of energy would be required for start-up.

First for the sake of progression we should use the split hydrogen for hydrogen fuel cells in say your Cyclops.

You would only move to fusion late in the game when you can produce more than enough power to sustain the fusion startup.

But I definitely like the idea of having a fusion reactor in my Sub. However don't forget the Aurora is powered by matter/anti-matter drive cores, which would ultimately be our end game.