Water Filtration Machine - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageWater Filtration Machine - Subnautica

The ocean on Subnautica’s underwater world sure is pretty, but is isn’t potable. Constantly scavenging for water to drink can be tiring. Enter the Water Filtration Machine: A habitat component...

Read the full story here

Comments

• PRARPRAR United States Join Date: 2015-06-03 Member: 205186Members
    Just loaded subnautica gonna build it soon.
    PRAR wrote: »

Just loaded in all the icons are super low texture (playing super high version)

So far the filter is working great, however im having rendering settings but this just might be because i updated the map from an older version.

So far the filter is working great, however im having rendering settings but this just might be because i updated the map from an older version.

the land has loaded it just the platform is the only place not loading if im too far away, about 5 pieces away, it is just made up of black on the inside.

the land has loaded it just the platform is the only place not loading if im too far away, about 5 pieces away, it is just made up of black on the inside.

5-7

5-7

got some salt.

5-7

got some salt.

the map is floating in front of the sea glide instead of on it (there should also be an upgrade so you can see ores,quartz and creatures on it)

5-7

got some salt.

the map is floating in front of the sea glide instead of on it (there should also be an upgrade so you can see ores,quartz and creatures on it)

water effects are still showing inside ships,I got the water it takes a long time for it to finish but its balanced out by the cheap cost.
  • Chris01Chris01 95050 Join Date: 2015-11-19 Member: 209347Members
    Since there are minerals in the water too, can it filter those out also. Probably take some time but every little bit helps.
  • apocacistapocacist Austin, TX Join Date: 2015-09-26 Member: 208171Members
    The new water filtration system is AWESOME!

But, it's way OP. It should require researched technology to get the blueprints and exotic materials to build. And it should be an energy hog.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2015
    We've not 'balanced' the unit in terms of gameplay and cost yet, but we wanted to get it out there so we could see what people thought and how much they used it. Early Access let's us tweak this based off YOUR feedback! :smile:
  • DchicoteDchicote Germany Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204901Members
    Sorry Guys, but for me, it is too much. Why not crafting water like the first thoughts? For me, it is too simple to get some water now. I hope I can take the old way to craft water for the future.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Good addition, always like to have more options! Must redownload and check out all thes new features. But will it require craftable filters to change out every so often? It does seem a little too convenient! :D
  • TydalTydal Join Date: 2015-11-15 Member: 209277Members
    Does this do anything in Freedom mode? Can you still build it, and if so, what does it do (seeing as water has no point in freedom)?
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    This is great. Having to constantly make purified water was an absolute chore, so I'm glad we have a more automated way to get water now.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    I experienced a ridiculous overproduction of salt in relation to the amount of water i got with these things.

But otherwise they are pretty dope! have two of em so far!
  • Aaron13psAaron13ps Lacartus Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206914Members
    edited November 2015
    Good job on the filtration device :D

Next stop, make it where the edible fish re-spawn so that there is not a food deadzone around your personal base :)
    Once that is fixed, I will feel better about playing survival.
  • ApolicApolic Upstate-NY Join Date: 2015-11-23 Member: 209427Members
    No real use... I personally dont use my salt to cure food... a thermo blade is all you need and fresh fish will never spoil... bleach is so easy to make as well.... also the recipe to make it is way to easy you could have several of these within an hr
  • XadieXadie Germany Join Date: 2015-11-06 Member: 209020Members
    a nifty addition to the game. Though gettin' fresh water isn't really an issue in the game.
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members

5-7

got some salt.

water effects are still showing inside ships,I got the water it takes a long time for it to finish but its balanced out by the cheap cost.

Dude don't give us an update on every little thing you do. At least make it as one longer comment. Also your glitches are probably caused by you being in experimental mode.
  • DchicoteDchicote Germany Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204901Members
    It is possible to turn Off - turn ON the fabrication of water/salt?
  • BullvayneBullvayne france Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209453Members
    Hi guys ! (sorry for my bad english)

Filtration machine is good thing to develop a real usefull sub_base :smile:

I imagine this machine like that

- Blueprint need to be find
    - More ressources to create it : Titanium, computer ships, copper and other (this must be more expensive)
    - To make water, player should have to add ressources like ACID or other

This machine is good but need to cost more to build and work

Nice job ;)
  • BullvayneBullvayne france Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209453Members
    Oups i forget ... maybe Subnautica machines could have ON/OFF switch ... ;)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2015
    "Left click - eat" > "Left click - consume"?
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    I love the filtration machine; however, it is already more of an energy hog than the Moonpool. Don't change the power consumption on it but if it were researchable then it'd be perfect to me. Plus if the devs included a way to connect the wall mounted lockers to each other and to other equipment like the filtration machine, fabricator, and workbench, then we could get water and salt stored in a locker after it's done at the machine, keep better track of resources while creating items, etc.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I think it is definitely a required addition.

As regards to the comments on it making the game too easy, and that it is overpowered etc, it is on the implementation pass, so it's more to see how people react to the machine (and I guess the new update style).

I would expect the final game to have a much slower tech progression than we currently see, so the traditional method would be used until such point as we were managing too much tech to be able to spend all that time getting water.

Remember we are terraforming a planet for colonisation, so the gameplay will change as we work towards our goal. Catching fish is fun at the start, but it becomes annoying after a while when you are deep into base building and construction etc, so now we have aquariums to make our lives easier.

The game will change its focus as we progress,
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Blueprint needed makes sense.
    I have no issue with its power requirement. Yes its large, let it be large. Its production of water and salt is also fine.
    I see it as not early game tech. Later on you are probably in either still-suit or seamoth and are using less water. It keeps up with the pace just fine.

Due to its power requirements, a on/off switch WOULD be very nice. For the moonpool you have the option of not docking your seamoth, thereby preventing it using power.
    For anything which hogs this much power, yes please.. a off switch. Especially if you do not know the power requirement.. Its not like the game tells us.
    I actually did not realise and hit a power wall when I was doing stuff. (ever heared a base going online/offline nonstop for a minute orso? I have haha)
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    edited November 2015
    Hmmm, another invention that makes survival as eeeeasy as possible and increases the boredom factor.
    That's almost exactly 180° the wrong direction for a survival game.

@Devs: What's that gonna be?!?
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    lxh wrote: »
    Hmmm, another invention that makes survival as eeeeasy as possible and increases the boredom factor.
    That's almost exactly 180° the wrong direction for a survival game.

At first, it's a constant struggle to remain properly hydrated and fed. That's the way it would be in most hypothetical survival situations.

Please bear in mind that The Survivor has access to almost-magical technology that enables him to construct complex items out of raw materials and manipulate the placement of molecules by using energy beams. That's a huge survival advantage right there, and it's an integral part of the game.

In a similar situation, I'd either fabricate a large sheet of silicone to catch rainwater (assuming that there was a weather mechanism in the game), a high-tech solar seawater distillation system or the sparkly new Alterra Water Purifier. Eventually reducing or removing water supply problems might be considered a normal progression of events in a survival situation operating under these conditions.

Also frees up some spare time for other productive activities such as base building or vehicle construction and exploration, I'd suspect.