Farewell

Comments

• ToothyToothy ir-regard-less Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13447Members, Constellation
    i dont come here anymore, but mendasp, you're awesome
  • minomino Join Date: 2005-02-24 Member: 42334Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2015
    I also left hibernation mode in this forum for now. Just to thank you mendasp. I did send you some coins via your donation link on your twitch page. To at least value some of your work and the effort you put in it.

I and i think most of the people here would love it too see you coming back. You did it for the community, the community is not the reason you leave us. So please just take a break of some weeks and come back to us. Do the modding on your own for you and for us and don't care so much what UWE is doing or did. Don't get me wrong you have every reason to be frustrated, its totally reasonable. But its the past, nothing somebody can change anymore. UWE said sorry, what else could they do?

Requesting that UWE should send money over for what you did, as stated by some people here, is wrong in my opinion. NS2 was a community project, it was an experiment. A lot of people invested their free time into it. They all knew that they cant expect any revenue from it, even if other people piss you off, directly or indirectly for what you do. Other people invested money into the dream of having another Natural Selection. And hell yeah did we(UWE + community) make it.

UWE employees do game development for their living, full time and i don't think that their income per person exceeds the average income of the workforce in the forum. So why should they pay? Everybody who likes what Mendasp did, support him directly! Yes its our job, the community job, to support the people who make great things for us. No matter if they are called mendasp or UWE or $maker.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    mino wrote: »

Requesting that UWE should send money over for what you did, as stated by some people here, is wrong in my opinion.

Everybody who likes what Mendasp did, support him directly! Yes its our job, the community job, to support the people who make great things for us.

I agree. I think that Mendasp could take this very thread and NS2+ and just walk into any job in the gaming industry. What a wonderful piece to add to his portfolio, and the support shown here by everyone would make very few employers think twice before hiring him.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    UWE must have won a lifelong supply of combustive agent and lighters...they constantly try to burn bridges. I have no other explanation for their community handling skills.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Mendasp.

The man. The myth. The programmer who saved NS2.

And the man who would somehow troll the sht out of everyone while doing it.

Sad to see you go man. Glad I had the chance to meet you in person. Hopefully you will be back soon...ish.
  • zoljazolja Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17057Members
    Thanks for all your work. It's always good when someone who loves to play the game makes changes that matter, rather than someone whose job is to "change stuff"
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    VL:WR (Very Long, Worth Reading)

That's a lot of BS man, a lot of BS ... I mean Bitter Sadness of course.

Thanks for your dedication and commitment, we own you a bunch of hours of entertainment.
  • KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    I wish you the very best in all your future endeavors. Thanks for all your hard work over the past several years.
  • EastwoodEastwood BAVARIA Join Date: 2013-02-06 Member: 182861Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thank you for making NS2 the game we've come to know and love.

FYI: This development and the behind-your-back-stuff has made it into the news section of a large german gaming magazine - the force is with you, @Mendasp
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2015
    This thread is beyond awesome, because Mendasp if finally out of my life :trollface:

Hehehehe I keed, I keed... He's still hanging around, it totally sucks this had to happen.

But I mean it's just so cool seeing all these oldschool peeps showing up just to show their appreciation to the lad! Someone mentioned this thread could be added to his resume, indeed it could :D
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2015
    @mendasp, the amount of enjoyment you've added to ns2 for me can be measured in the many hundreds, if not thousands of hours at this point. Look at all these vets coming from out of the woodwork to show their support. Really says something considering how quiet it is around here. I've said it before and will say it again, servers without ns2+ are unplayable for me anymore. Once you've tasted the sweet nectar of potential unlocked (read the way it should have been), there's no going back. It's a shame that there's not even any sort of recognition on UWE's behalf for all the work you've done with map maintenance, as well as all the QOL increasements from ns2+ that have been imported into vanilla (a good chunk of content imo). It's understandable your "leaving," as you don't play the game anymore. Your continuing maintenance of ns2+ has been/will be appreciated and your bitingly hilarious comments will be missed.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Drop some gifs on us every now and again?
  • digzdigz be still, maggot Join Date: 2002-05-07 Member: 588Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Oh man that's a shitty situation. Here's hoping that things work out.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Mendasp, I think we all know they going to drop NS2 again after about a year. You might as well take a break for a bit and come back next year as the savior of NS2, risen from the dead.

Other than performance improvements your constant NS2+ updates and ultimate patches where the things I most looked forward to every update. Yours had the biggest impact on actual everyday game play.

Many of you have heard me say this many times in game: The best thing UWE did for ns2 was abandon it because it let the CDT come in and finally fix it.

The CDT was the greatest thing to happen to NS2 and we will need you again in the future to clean up whatever mess UWE has in store for the game this time lol.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    2cough wrote: »
    Drop some gifs on us every now and again?
    93XCTcD.gif
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2015
    Mendasp's childhood
    iVi4a.gif
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    CmdrKeen wrote: »
    Mendasp's childhood
    iVi4a.gif
    He is the one! Just imagine there is no spoon!
  • SnixSnix Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46916Members, Reinforced - Gold

PS: Set up a way to donate that's not using Paypal (does anyone even use Paypal?). I'd send some bling anytime.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Tons of people and business use pay pal.
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited November 2015
    Wow, i never had an idea you were so deeply into it. Thanks for all the good times and those that are still to come. Atleast one can hope. Really no idea how and why UWE did miss that chance to talk. Also i agree they should just focus on gameplay development. If Carmack says it is more complicated then making rockets, then just maybe, MAYBE you should heed to that advice. 5% for Unreal 4 does not sound to bad.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Thanks Mendasp, no longer play due to the insane amounts of other good games out there but I don't think I'd have enjoyed it as much if not for the little (and not so little) touches that have been added.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    ... But I mean it's just so cool seeing all these oldschool peeps showing up just to show their appreciation to the lad! ...

Oldschool but not obsolete !
    2kn2mbo31oaf.jpg
    Wake wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    ... But I mean it's just so cool seeing all these oldschool peeps showing up just to show their appreciation to the lad! ...

Oldschool but not obsolete !
    2kn2mbo31oaf.jpg

That @Mendasp - Terminator combo is just funny and scary as hell
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members
    Disgusting state of affairs, shameful.

Wouldn't have cared about the game for this long if it wasn't for NS2+. Cheers, mate. Hope your talents find their fiscal worth in the future.

Alan Snackbar.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    It's crazy seeing the number of people who have left the UWE community, but still lerk (sic) on the forums....

This really is a community that you can never truly leave :D

NS/NS2 is basically the videogame that Necrons from Warhammer40k would play.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    NS/NS2 is basically the videogame that Necrons from Warhammer40k would play.

I know the reference but I don't get how it relates to NS.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey good luck @Mendasp. NS2+ definately made the game easier to play for me. I am not online as much these days due to work committments. But it is sad to hear you go - I think you game me crap about my lack of skills with the cinematic tools (or was that SamusDroid?) lol.

All the best.
    Cannon