So who's playing with their steam controllers tonight?

0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
Just got mine today and like a kid on Christmas I tore the box open and set it up with such fervor that I barely noticed they included actual Duracell batteries. Then all of a sudden I looked at my library and drew a blank. I didn't know what I wanted to play first. I assumed it'd be Cities Skylines because I've been playing it a lot lately or maybe civ5 because it seems like a very couch appropriate game. Then I thought 'hey super meat boy, let's really test this thing' but no, that too was wrong. The answer of course always comes back to ns2, the only game there is. I can't wait to have the shit kicked out of me. Who's ready to die by my side?

Can't wait to flash a lerk. XD

Comments

• SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2015
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Reduced? :p

Still waiting to see split screen hands on controller + gameplay video of someone playing NS2.

The controller does look smexy but still not convinced.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »

Still waiting to see split screen hands on controller + gameplay video of someone playing NS2.

... Well considering average is 15 percent accuracy, yeah. It's probably akin to trying to play black out drunk :)
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Well, I certainly didn't do as good as I usually do. I think I'm going to have to spend more time on some lower paced shooters first. Support gorge was totally playable. Lerk was totally not. :p

For all the other games I've tried so far the steam controller has been vastly superior to my Xbox controllers. No exceptions at all. The only oddity I found was Skyrim, it defaults to controller if you have one plugged in and was somewhat reluctant about me using the steam controller as a m&kb. Took a lot more finiking than anything else did. I was running Skyrim in wine but I don't think that was what was causing my problems. Skyrim was always an Xbox game designed for Xbox controls though so it kinda makes sense... anybody getting dejavu?

Played some civ5 from bed last night. Way more enjoyable than at a desk with a m&kb. Didn't stop me from accidentally watching the sunrise though. :/

Some other interesting notes:
    Feels cheap because it seems light. It's actually heavier than an xbc but the weight is spread out better. I opened it up, it's built no different in terms of quality.

Comes with Duracell batteriesinstead of Nona me, way to be classy valve.

The steam controller on screen keyboard is super cool, doesn't yet work on the desktop though.

There's lots of little things that could probably be improved. They're all things that I'd consider new features though as opposed to things that are broken. The controller itself though is fantastic, just fucking amazing.

Mouse and Nostromo is king for ns2 though, twitch shooters in general. Ns2 was/is never going to be a couch and TV game though.

IF anyone is thinking about getting one they're more than welcome to ask me to test key games for them. However I am on Linux so I'm not really into buying windows only games.

This is my profile and the games I own. I do sort of still have access to windows machines at a buddies place but it wouldn't be an overnight review unless it runs in wine pretty good. I'm willing to buy games if they're cheap.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @0ni

Did you configure it properly? I disliked my controller until I learned the VAST configuration options, and spent hours testing with them across multiple games until I found settings that were perfect for me.

I think I mentioned some settings that help.. if you want to try my configuration file just add me to your steam friends and it will show up as a possible configuration you can automatically load when launching NS2 in big picture mode.
    @IronHorse I did spend some time configuring it and I even tried your config (you published it publicly as an ns2 profile) but I think the core issue was diving right into the deep end. I'm not a console gamer nor is ns2 a console game and it's the first game I tried on an unfamiliar controller. It seems like high acceleration WOULD be the way to play in a twitch game but it's still too soon for me.

The customization options are insane though. Even being able to rotate the pads in software like that, super classy.

I'll try it again after I warm up on some less intense fps games. It's really given civ5 some new life though so I'm going to ride that for a bit first.

What are you playing with it?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @0ni Borderlands 2, deus ex, life is strange, fighting games, vanishing of ethan carter, alien isolation, remember me, Ryse, Styx, tomb raider etc. I am about to try out fallout 4 with it
    I don't use it for competitive FPS.. although after I found the best settings possible with it through NS2 as a test, I have been applying that same configuration for other games - even ones meant for joysticks.

It does take a day or two to get used to. For me the biggest challenge was remembering what button does what exactly, since I am used to familiar keyboard bindings instead.

I really regret not purchasing the Steam Link.. since I got the controller to play casual games with my wife (she loves mystery adventure games) but being huddled around my monitor at a desk with only headphones sort of defeats the point of comfortable group playing - the controller is just so part and parcel to the TV.

@IronHorse yeah, I've been playing civ5 and cities skylines in bed. From the couch I've been playing inliguia with my kid to help him learn Japanese (he's a halfbreed).

I had the good sense to install hdmi cables in the wall. My computer lives in the closet with the TP and vacuum cleaner and has hdmi, ethernet and usb running to the TV and bedroom and in wall dvi/dp/usb going to my desk. Can't believe how expensive those hdmi and usb wall plate inserts are. I had to make the dvI and DP inserts by hand. Probably would have been cheaper to buy a steam link but putting ethernet in the wall still needed to happen.

Anyway foresight baby yeah.

I've been finding that the flaw with fps games from the couch isn't as much the controller so much as its the TV itself. It's just too damn far away. The fov is just wrong. I might have to go back to projector for the 120' screen to make it work. Or maybe I'll just do a castAR setup when that releases so I don't piss the wife off with enormous screen. In any case, for now I think fps games will stay with the triple monitors. Plus nothing is better than nostromo and mouse for fragging.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I tried but couldn't find the best way to configure it yet. May try again later.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    amoral wrote: »
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »

... Well considering average is 15 percent accuracy, yeah. It's probably akin to trying to play black out drunk :)

Hang-on, so does that mean if I use a controller I will go up to average and finally achieve my dream of getting a 15% accuracy?

Oh, and I wouldn't know about playing black-out drunk, as I don't drink, haha :D
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Oh, and I wouldn't know about playing black-out drunk, as I don't drink, haha :D

As someone with a lot of experience with that, let me save you time: You'll make a lousy marine, a horrible lerk, and an amazing skulk.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I really regret not purchasing the Steam Link..

I found out when I was setting up a PC connected to my TV that you can stream Steam games between computers on the same network. If you have a spare laptop with HDMI, it might be an option.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Saltlick wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I really regret not purchasing the Steam Link..

I found out when I was setting up a PC connected to my TV that you can stream Steam games between computers on the same network. If you have a spare laptop with HDMI, it might be an option.

Massive amount of input delay with that. I've tried. :(