where does subnautica take place. DEV QUESTION

tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
now i know this sounds stupid. but.

A. does subnautica take place in the same universe as natural selection.

B. does subnautica take place before or after the " events " of the natural selection games.

C. does the energy pulse that affected the aurora have anything to do with the Kharaa?

D. is *insert planet name* in the Ariadne Arm system?

E. can you see why kids love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch?

Comments

• tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    also feel free to comment more questions because i'm not that creative.
  • Agent-48Agent-48 Ostrava City, Czech Republic, EU Join Date: 2015-09-03 Member: 207681Members
    edited November 2015
    "Where does Subnautica take place?"

Underwater of course.

That's exactly my reaction, lol
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I don't really see the relevance of these questions. Why are people trying to analyse and look so deep into the game. Just play it! :wink:
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
    I remember seeing a hint somewhere that Subnautica indeed is in the same universe as NS, it was on one of the patch minisites or something like that if I recall correctly.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Definitely same universe, you will notice Alterra Corp plastered throughout both games..

This is sometime in the late 22nd century if I remember correctly from the intro? Then that puts this before NS1 & 2 in the timeline.

I believe NS1 was the 23rd century? However I am doing this from memory, rather than double checking, but I think it is something like that.

Easter eggs abound and I am sure we will get something Natural Selection nuggets spread throughout. Heck, there may be loads in there already we are not aware of :D

I guess that is an American food?
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    I don't really see the relevance of these questions. Why are people trying to analyse and look so deep into the game. Just play it! :wink:

just curious
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2015
    We've been discussing this a lot internaly. Right now the only answer I can give is... ambiguous and subject to change :-)
  • TrystTryst UK Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204138Members
    1. Don't know.
    2. Don't care.
    3. Who gives a damn?
    4. It's somewhere in the universe.
    5. Never tried it so I don't know what you're talking about.

There, I have answered the questions to the best of my ability considering that I have never played Natural Selection and I keep getting the error below when I try to mind read the devs:-

Can't find a mind at Subnautica there may be several reasons for this:
    The mind you are requesting may be behind a tinfoil hat or doesn't exist.
    If you are unable to load any mind, check your brains neural connection.
    If your brain or neural connection is protected by a tinfoil hat, make sure that it is permitted to access the mindscape.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Myrm wrote: »

just curious

Fair point. :smile:
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    I don't understand why you guys are so rigorous about these questions? Is it a crime to want to know more?

@tyler111762 The Alterra is the biggest clue o far, meaning it shoud be in the same univers.
    And I personally think the devs may be considering further connecting to the NS games. Maybe they want to take it as far as creating more games in the same universe? :)
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    Agree NS references conclude to same era/world.
    Tryst wrote: »
    1. Don't know.
    2. Don't care.
    3. Who gives a damn?

There, I have answered the questions to the best of my ability considering that I have never played Natural Selection and I keep getting the error below when I try to mind read the devs:-

If your brain or neural connection is protected by a tinfoil hat, make sure that it is permitted to access the mindscape.

Really funny, almost died laughing. So true, POST YOUR THOUGHTS DEVS, WE CANT READ YOUR MIND!!!
  • zeusdemigod131zeusdemigod131 Illinois Join Date: 2015-11-01 Member: 208897Members
    I think the planet's somewhere in the Andromeda Galaxy, just my personal theory
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tryst wrote: »
    1. Don't know.
    2. Don't care.
    3. Who gives a damn?

Someone got out the wrong side of the bed this morning.
    I think the planet's somewhere in the Andromeda Galaxy, just my personal theory

Wow man, just WOW. :/
    edited December 2015
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    now i know this sounds stupid. but.

A. does subnautica take place in the same universe as natural selection.

B. does subnautica take place before or after the " events " of the natural selection games.

C. does the energy pulse that affected the aurora have anything to do with the Kharaa?

D. is *insert planet name* in the Ariadne Arm system?

E. can you see why kids love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch?

I'm taking a few wild guesses at these questions while I'm writing the serialised story 'Aurora Falls'.

They might answer everything except the Cinnamon Toast Crunch question.

Please, feel free to take a look.