Can we get an oxygen tank slot on the paper doll?

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
Just a small change. It'd be nice to have a slot available on the paper doll for 1 oxygen tank (presumably on the players back). This would free up a little bit of room in the players inventory, and make sense gameplay wise.

Comments

• paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    I think they should just make the small storage cube so it can be mounted in the paper doll. This will let us have it as a backpack of sorts. By us being able to mount to the paper doll we can put up to 4 tanks inside or even carry our extra suits (like if we are wearing the radiation suit then we can have our still-suit, and basic dive-suit stored in it). We could even go as far as to put our med-kits or extra tools inside it.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I think they should do away with the storage cube and just add a backpack the player can put in his 'oxygen tank slot' as an alternative.
    I was thinking of making it usable so that it is not time wasted.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    edited October 2015
    I think, 2 tanks should be able to be put on the doll, as this is standard in a lot of real scuba diving. Anything beyond that should go into our inventory.
    Oh ant different air mixtures. So we can have deep diving tanks that are different from shallow diving tanks.
  • BaleBale France Join Date: 2015-09-05 Member: 207737Members
    Do not dare remove the Cube !

epjnw5n7tgqy.jpg
  • CMonster0125CMonster0125 United States Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207850Members
    I like the idea of putting a 'back' space on the paper doll, not necessarily for an air tank. Could be used for a backpack (additional storage), a jet pack (for above surface flying), or even the SeaGlide for automatic fast swimming (no need to be handheld).

The space could start out small (one air tank only), but expandable with research tech for multiple tanks or the other devices as mentioned above.
  • Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
    aeroripper wrote: »
    I think they should do away with the storage cube and just add a backpack the player can put in his 'oxygen tank slot' as an alternative.

Those storage cubes are nearly useless right now. You can't drop them inside the escape pod or your base, so what's the point?
    That's why I said to make it so they can be mounted in a slot on the paperdoll.
  • mmintomminto Los Angeles Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208012Members
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Just a small change. It'd be nice to have a slot available on the paper doll for 1 oxygen tank (presumably on the players back). This would free up a little bit of room in the players inventory, and make sense gameplay wise.

I agree completely. I think the solution to make it more challenging is simple:

You allow for basic modifications of the paper doll that you must research and construct. Like, build a Buoyancy Control Device (BCD) which can hold two of any tank.

You ought to effectively be able to have the best of everything simultaneously. There is 0 reason to forbid someone from wearing both a radiation suit and a still suit and rebreather simultaneously. The same can be said for light-weight/ high-capacity tanks, as well as fast/ charge fins. The solution is make it researchable and difficult not impossible.
  • R1600TurboR1600Turbo AZ, USA Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204090Members
    I think that personal items and tools should not take up your storage inventory. You have the 5 small circles at the bottom of the screen for tools, etc. So that's where they should be and not in your storage. And I also agree the tanks should go on the paper doll.
  • DEEpDEEp wisconsin Join Date: 2015-02-23 Member: 201510Members
    I don't think the inventory system is set in stone yet so I expect changes to be made on where/how much stuff you can have.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    I recommend that the Devs go to Minecraft for some inspiration on the inventory. The hotbar should be separate from the inventory, plus adding in maybe 2 slots for air tanks to start out with. The tanks can be removed and be replaced with upgraded ones like Plasteel or High-Capacity tanks or refilled at a pump in our base or Cyclops (Giving the Cyclops a use besides a mobile base). After some time you can upgrade your wetsuit so you can have 4 tanks attached (Or 2 tanks and a seaglide for quicker swimming while holding something else).
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I had my own ideas that are very similar to yours @ChaosKnight626 . Rather than making a new thread, I will post them here:

Hotbar:
    It would be good if for example the Hotbar was a 'Utility Belt' that you stored these items on, but is restricted to tools and 'usable' items like floaters. Fish, metal etc wouldn't be on there, as they can just be dropped or used from the inventory/fabricator etc.

Tanks
    I would make 2 slots for them on the paper doll. You start with no tanks, the current 45 seconds limit is more than achievable just by holding your breath. You can only have 2 air tanks equipped maximum, but more can be done with the tank upgrade system to enable more varied customisation of air tanks than currently, maybe even having an aluminium tank available to to build which is lighter and carries more air as a base unit option. The upgrade trees could then span out from these relative roots.

Overall, I think we are all thinking in the same kind of direction, carrying tanks around in your inventory space just seems wrong.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Perhaps the current inventory system is done by weight, as bigger things take up more room. No matter where you carried the weight on you, it will affect your carrying capability. Perhaps that's why the tanks are kept in the inventory as they are; to represent the weight you are carrying with you. If so then regardless of whether the tanks are in your inventory or on your back on the paper doll, or round your waist, the weight of what you are carrying is adds up.
  • R1600TurboR1600Turbo AZ, USA Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204090Members
    I already mentioned this hotbar thing a few posts up. :)