Should the Sea Emperor be able to damage the Cyclops?

Comments

• The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Linfoma wrote: »
    To me the emperor should be able to destroy the cyclops to give players something to think about and not think they can go anywhere without consequences, of course that some defensive and/or escape mechanics should be implemented, personally i don't think the seamoth would be it cuz if the emperor is wrapped around the cyclops you wouldn't be able to open the door, but i can imagine a little life pod build in the cyclops that u get in during the attack and shoots you to the surface, of course this would be as a last resort if all else fails, i don't like the idea that the emperor destroys your cyclops every time u see it... but yes it should be able to do it in the right circumstances and if you dont do anything to counter him , this would give more realism and to make player be more alert,carefull and scared :D>:)

My thoughts exactly.
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
    edited September 2015
    Right now, cyclops is SO inferior to seamoth that making it weaker would make it worthless. The only use it has over Seamoth is for moving whole bases around- for every other scenario a Seamoth, a seabase, or a combination of those is superior (and cheaper on top of that). That state will probably not change much until we get a Cyclops-centered update (although a quick introduction of solar panels or enabling charging from bases would fix it's biggest issue).

It's also important to note that Subnautica is somewhat overcrowded with very aggressive predators. The two swarms of Reaper Leviathans threaten about 1/3 of the map. For many players that means that those whole areas will forever remain unexplored- The only natural response when you can't fight is to run.

I think that Sea Emperor should either be able to grab the Cyclops and pull it down into the depth BUT if you have a specific upgrade it would leave you alone (be it electricity, camouflage, smell or something else) or it should be extremely lethal but would only hunt outside of the map boundaries (something like the sea monster in gothic 2, but maybe with a chance to flee before it gets you or a warning from your PDA that a huge, probably hostile entity is approaching you).
    Elavion wrote: »
    I think that Sea Emperor should either be able to grab the Cyclops and pull it down into the depth BUT if you have a specific upgrade it would leave you alone (be it electricity, camouflage, smell or something else) or it should be extremely lethal but would only hunt outside of the map boundaries (something like the sea monster in gothic 2, but maybe with a chance to flee before it gets you or a warning from your PDA that a huge, probably hostile entity is approaching you).

I kinda like some of those ideas... Obviously, I didn't mean to have the Cyclops be defenseless. It could fend off the Emperor if you had the right setup and quick thinking. My general purpose was to remove its current state as "that indestructible suit of armor" that can also hold crafting facilities, storage, and a seamoth, all at once.
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    Right now, cyclops is SO inferior to seamoth that making it weaker would make it worthless. The only use it has over Seamoth is for moving whole bases around- for every other scenario a Seamoth, a seabase, or a combination of those is superior (and cheaper on top of that). That state will probably not change much until we get a Cyclops-centered update (although a quick introduction of solar panels or enabling charging from bases would fix it's biggest issue).

It's also important to note that Subnautica is somewhat overcrowded with very aggressive predators. The two swarms of Reaper Leviathans threaten about 1/3 of the map. For many players that means that those whole areas will forever remain unexplored- The only natural response when you can't fight is to run.

You're implying the cyclops won't be improved in an upcoming update?
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Perhaps rather than the Sea Emperor just attacking the Cyclops for no reason other than it's there, how about it only attacks if you near it or its nest, or perhaps it attacks thinking you are something to eat but once it bites you it realises you aren't food, lets go and swims away (which is the reasoning behind most shark attacks in the real-world, or so I am lead to believe), but damage is done to the Cyclops that if you don't rectify will sink it. If there is more than one Emperor perhaps they each have a bite of you causing more damage.
    Marut wrote: »

You're implying the cyclops won't be improved in an upcoming update?

No, no he's not. That's why he used the phrase "Right now."
    Myrm wrote: »
    or perhaps it attacks thinking you are something to eat but once it bites you it realises you aren't food, lets go and swims away (which is the reasoning behind most shark attacks in the real-world, or so I am lead to believe).

Actually, I found out a somewhat scary fact. Apparently, sharks are fully aware that we aren't seals and stuff. They use a completely different method of attack on humans than they do on anything else. That means they're fully aware of what we are.
  • The_Flash2001The_Flash2001 Australind Join Date: 2015-06-23 Member: 205694Members
    i wanna see some really awesome stuff to come in subnautica, like some cool stuff with emperors being able to maybe rip off bases from the bolt thingies on land or foundations, that may sound kinda stupid, but to me that sounds like something incredibly cool, i mean, there are strong animals that could do that already (leviathans) but cant, which kinda if you ask me would make players kinda cocky in there bases, thy get in the base and point at reapers and say get lost you cant touch me, and id love it so see the reaper suddenly like, tear the room or corridor your in in half, or picking up your room/corridor, and then thrashing it around, that would be scarily awesome! but i dunno, thats just my thoughts, im blabbing on i know because i am really tired right now and im reading this back while typing and it doesnt make sense but eh what are you gonna do?
    i wanna see some really awesome stuff to come in subnautica, like some cool stuff with emperors being able to maybe rip off bases from the bolt thingies on land or foundations, that may sound kinda stupid, but to me that sounds like something incredibly cool, i mean, there are strong animals that could do that already (leviathans) but cant, which kinda if you ask me would make players kinda cocky in there bases, thy get in the base and point at reapers and say get lost you cant touch me, and id love it so see the reaper suddenly like, tear the room or corridor your in in half, or picking up your room/corridor, and then thrashing it around, that would be scarily awesome! but i dunno, thats just my thoughts, im blabbing on i know because i am really tired right now and im reading this back while typing and it doesnt make sense but eh what are you gonna do?

I have to say I like that. Maybe the current three implemented and/or planned Leviathans can have their abilities scale up with size. The Reaper can tackle the SeaMoth, the Emperor demolishes the Cyclops, and the Dragon can tear up your SeaBase.
  • LinfomaLinfoma Portugal Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207791Members
    emperor destroying sea bases is another thing id like to see...i speak for myself i like my basses all full of windows to have a good view and only do the minimun reenforcements...so having emperor pass by and destroy it will give ppl a reason to think better about there bases maby start using terraformer to hide it underground or at least less windows and more reemforcements....

ps...i disagree whit some of you that say the cyclops is useless....just last night i geared mine up full of lockers and passed all night farming....16 lockers 6 of them were full of quartz just for glasss ...ehehehehehe....
    seamoth is good to farm till 200 meters after that no lockers and even whit all 4 lockers doesnt come close to what you can carry whit the cyclops full of big lockers.
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    Linfoma wrote: »
    emperor destroying sea bases is another thing id like to see...i speak for myself i like my basses all full of windows to have a good view and only do the minimun reenforcements...so having emperor pass by and destroy it will give ppl a reason to think better about there bases maby start using terraformer to hide it underground or at least less windows and more reemforcements....

ps...i disagree whit some of you that say the cyclops is useless....just last night i geared mine up full of lockers and passed all night farming....16 lockers 6 of them were full of quartz just for glasss ...ehehehehehe....
    seamoth is good to farm till 200 meters after that no lockers and even whit all 4 lockers doesnt come close to what you can carry whit the cyclops full of big lockers.

About hiding your base, what if you could properly camouflage it with the terraformer? Or mayhaps some other device?
  • SojoSojo Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-09-20 Member: 208061Members
    I think even the Reapers should be able to directly damage the Cyclops, though not that much since it is meant to be heavily armored for deep see diving. Sea Dragons and Sea Emperors should each do even more damage and I love the idea of both of them or just the Emperors dragging us down to crush depth. An electric defense upgrade could get us out of that. We should never be able to kill these beasties, but scaring them off would be fine under the right circumstances.

I hate feeling invulnerable in it. Yes you aren't technically invulnerable, but close enough. There are so few Reapers and they seem to rarely spawn (at least in my game, my last 3 attempts to find one near the Aurora and in the Dunes have failed--I have found them there before) so when you do encounter one it should be epic.

As for why they would even attack, many have said it doesn't make sense that larger predators would see the player or the Cyclops as food, but that isn't the only reason animals attack; they don't even need to be predators to feel the need to attack and kill (hippos anyone?). Since the Cyclops is about the size of a Reaper they would most likely see us as competition for their territory and should at least harass us until we leave their territory.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    I'm not sure, but I think many people forget about the Sea Dragon Leviathan, which looks like the Unholy offspring of the Reaper and the Sea Emperor. Here's what I believe the Subnautica devs are trying to fulfill with the creatures:

The Reaper Leviathan uses brute strength and charges his foes/meals head-on, a symbol of uncontrollable rage.

The Sea Emperor will most likely be, as mentioned above, a creature controller, siccing some stalkers and/or shockers on you and only using self-defense attacks.

The Sea Dragon Leviathan will very likely to be a combination of the former two, being both a heavy hitter and mook commander.
    I'm not sure, but I think many people forget about the Sea Dragon Leviathan, which looks like the Unholy offspring of the Reaper and the Sea Emperor. Here's what I believe the Subnautica devs are trying to fulfill with the creatures:

The Reaper Leviathan uses brute strength and charges his foes/meals head-on, a symbol of uncontrollable rage.

The Sea Emperor will most likely be, as mentioned above, a creature controller, siccing some stalkers and/or shockers on you and only using self-defense attacks.

The Sea Dragon Leviathan will very likely to be a combination of the former two, being both a heavy hitter and mook commander.

If that's the case... want.
  • demianddemiand Chile Join Date: 2015-08-11 Member: 207033Members
    the Cyclops should be able to go invisible for a short time, that should be it only defence and not offense
  • smackumzsmackumz US Join Date: 2015-10-13 Member: 208465Members
    Not as of yet. They need more modules for the cyclops before allowing it to be destroyed by sealife. It would be fine only if there was some way to deter the emperor to some extent. As it stands now, there are no torps, no electric shielding, nothing for the cyclops. It would be a sitting duck.

That coupled with the power requirements of the cyclops and the lack of interaction it has with the environment, and the size limiting its exploration of caves etc would render the thing completely pointless on a completely new level.

Now if they enable a defensive system that doesn't out right trump the emperor and lets the player temporarily deter its attack, then allowing the emperor the ability to damage the clops makes sense. At least then you have a chance to get away and live.
    smackumz wrote: »
    Not as of yet. They need more modules for the cyclops before allowing it to be destroyed by sealife. It would be fine only if there was some way to deter the emperor to some extent. As it stands now, there are no torps, no electric shielding, nothing for the cyclops. It would be a sitting duck.

That's why lasers.

But seriously though. The current SeaMoth bay in the Cyclops is a bit too limited. If you had the option to decide what that central compartment was, then I'd love the Cyclops even more. Say, give it a SeaMoth dock, or decide instead to have it be a big storage area, or a torpedo chute. Customization would allow people to use the good old Cyclops in ways that they couldn't before.
  • smackumzsmackumz US Join Date: 2015-10-13 Member: 208465Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    smackumz wrote: »

That's why lasers.

But seriously though. The current SeaMoth bay in the Cyclops is a bit too limited. If you had the option to decide what that central compartment was, then I'd love the Cyclops even more. Say, give it a SeaMoth dock, or decide instead to have it be a big storage area, or a torpedo chute. Customization would allow people to use the good old Cyclops in ways that they couldn't before.

I like this notion. I could see a generator to help with power consumption and allow electricity flowing through the outer hull, an exosuit dock, a sonar array that could help build a topographic map and serve as a early detection device for large predators, or a mid sized submersible detachment built for construction or resource gathering with very limited power and operation time (think a 1 man dsv with slow movement and actuating arms like from a deep sea documentary).

Back on topic though. They really need to give the cyclops a pass over like the seamoth before they put something in that could hunt it. And they need something to threaten the cyclops. As soon as I saw it can't be killed the fun (via danger factor) of the game dropped a little, but given the mobility of the thing with the lack of defense, I can see why it is the way it is.
  • FearlessWolfFearlessWolf United States Join Date: 2015-08-29 Member: 207573Members
    edited October 2015
    Currently, the Cyclops is kind of considered an impenetrable shield, and as long as you're on board, you're invincible. I don't like that idea, personally.
    I've actually been hit through the wall by a stalker while in my cyclops.
    Currently, the Cyclops is kind of considered an impenetrable shield, and as long as you're on board, you're invincible. I don't like that idea, personally.

(processing...)
    Wat.
    Could you elaborate? What happened?

If that's the case... want.

It's the basic logical conclusion.

Once someone kills one of the 2 reapers and repairs the reactor, 2 emperors should spawn on the opposite side of the Aurora. They, instead of patrolling one side, should patrol the whole aurora.
    Once 1 emperor is killed, the remaining reaper and emperor will travel to the front of the ship and engage in a historic mating ritual. They will give birth to the Dragon, who will patrol THE WHOLE OCEAN, and specifically targets player-made structures, inhabited or not.
    The key to defeating the dragon will remain hidden in an ancient city hidden in the inactive lava zone.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    At the moment, tooling around in the Cyclops is the next best thing to driving a tank.

However, you will have to leave that tank at some stage. This is when you are most vulnerable.

(Let's not get dragged into discussing the capabilities of 'real world' anti-tank munitions and missiles here, okay?)

All this talk of letting the Biggest and Baddest of Subnautica have their wicked way with bases and the Cyclops sounds like a bunch of false bravado to me.

What is the point of being able to build sturdy submarines or bases at ridiculous depths, if something can munch on them like a foot-long Subway hoagie?

By that logic, you'd be better off with just the Seamoth. It can at least defend itself... Sort of.

The dice are already rigged against The Survivor, but there's folks out there clamouring for even more handicaps. Is it some sort of weird machismo thing (apparently an affectation of chaps who haven't started shaving yet)? Is it a symptom of too much exposure to CoD/GTA/MLP? Not enough titanium in your diet?

What is wrong with you people?
    edited October 2015
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    What is wrong with you people?

Logic, that's what. I'm not saying it should be a thing because of gameplay purposes, but because, logically, something like the Emperor would have no trouble tearing a few measly inches of metal to pieces. Obviously, the game isn't done yet, meaning that, with this party of your whole spiel:
    By that logic, you'd be better off with just the Seamoth. It can at least defend itself... Sort of.

Is, in essence, irrelevant. If they're going to add a defensive line to our little friend the Moth, then it's not outside the realm of reason that the Cyclops would eventually get something like that too. Naturally, I'm not saying the Emperor should be able to tear the Cyclops in half the moment it's in, but rather, after the Cyclops has a method of self-defense, and even then, only with difficulty. Titanium is a very strong material. I'm thinking that in order to damage the Cyclops, the Emperor would have to go through a series of actions, and you can prevent it at any stage with the right know-how (kinda like an ICBM). First, it has to immobilize you, to make you a target that it can hit. It could do this by grabbing a few pieces of scrap metal and shoving them into your engine. This, you can prevent with a special "engine defense" thing that makes it emit a neutron pulse, stunning and irradiating the Emperor. Then, if it succeeds in damaging your engine, it would have to ram you time and again to actually breach the hull.
    I'm saying the Emperor should be able to destroy the Cyclops, not that it should be easy to do so.
    The dice are already rigged against The Survivor...

I agree wholeheartedly. That's why I'm pushing for the idea of ways to defend yourself that aren't "Run like hell." If a shark bites your leg, are you going to sit there, or smack him upside the head with a bang stick?
    seaway_bangstick_and_its_special_rounds_note_that_the_blank_fires_through_what_used_to_be_the_primer_hole_in_the_base.jpg

It's the basic logical conclusion.

Once someone kills one of the 2 reapers and repairs the reactor, 2 emperors should spawn on the opposite side of the Aurora. They, instead of patrolling one side, should patrol the whole aurora.
    Once 1 emperor is killed, the remaining reaper and emperor will travel to the front of the ship and engage in a historic mating ritual. They will give birth to the Dragon, who will patrol THE WHOLE OCEAN, and specifically targets player-made structures, inhabited or not.
    The key to defeating the dragon will remain hidden in an ancient city hidden in the inactive lava zone.

Hmm... maybe... but keep in mind, the reapers do respawn. I like the idea of the "historic mating ritual" thing, but it shouldn't be a result of killing off a pair of other Leviathans (which is hard to do as it is. A Reaper takes six diamond knives.) Maybe after you get to a certain point in the storyline, the room in the Aurora you're in is sealed off. Said room has a window, and you're forced to watch the birth of the Dragon. The Dragon then destroys the window in an effort to kill you, depressurizing the room, and you are automatically pushed by the sudden wave of water through the door (which had been cleared by the change in pressure). Then, you regain control of yourself, and have to escape the Aurora, but the Dragon has been released into the ocean.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    If they're going to add a defensive line to our little friend the Moth, then it's not outside the realm of reason that the Cyclops would eventually get something like that too. Naturally, I'm not saying the Emperor should be able to tear the Cyclops in half the moment it's in, but rather, after the Cyclops has a method of self-defense, and even then, only with difficulty. Titanium is a very strong material. I'm thinking that in order to damage the Cyclops, the Emperor would have to go through a series of actions, and you can prevent it at any stage with the right know-how (kinda like an ICBM). First, it has to immobilize you, to make you a target that it can hit. It could do this by grabbing a few pieces of scrap metal and shoving them into your engine. This, you can prevent with a special "engine defense" thing that makes it emit a neutron pulse, stunning and irradiating the Emperor. Then, if it succeeds in damaging your engine, it would have to ram you time and again to actually breach the hull.
    I'm saying the Emperor should be able to destroy the Cyclops, not that it should be easy to do so.

That's why I'm pushing for the idea of ways to defend yourself that aren't "Run like hell." If a shark bites your leg, are you going to sit there, or smack him upside the head with a bang stick?
    seaway_bangstick_and_its_special_rounds_note_that_the_blank_fires_through_what_used_to_be_the_primer_hole_in_the_base.jpg

I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for the Cyclops Defence System.

It might happen.

Bear in mind thatThe Devs will need to order quite a few late-night pizzas in order to implement attack behaviours and damage effects on the Cyclops.
    Then there's the defence routine.

It might happen.

By the way... Ever used a Bang Stick in anger? In 20+ years of diving, I haven't.

I used to dive with one. We call them 'powerheads' here in Oz. I had a .303 and a 12-Gauge version. The .303 was screwed onto a short (4-foot) Hawaiian sling spear. The 12-gauge was fitted with a trumpet adaptor, designed to slip over a cluster spear. That was kept in a holster on my upper thigh. I also carried ONE reload round for the particular calibre that I was using at the time.

They are both single-shot defensive devices. Needs a clean top-down head shot or one as close as possible to the lateral line to be truly effective. If you miss, you are most likely destined to become shark poop. I'm guessing that the 'El Bandito' ammunition bandolier is an American idea. Not terribly practical on a number of counts. Reload times for a real-world powerhead are usually counted in minutes, not seconds.

Besides, who in their right mind would use leather to make a diving accessory?

Anyway, unless you're using a 105mm artillery shell as ammo, your little bangstick is only going to annoy the hell out of an Emperor Leviathan. Since spearguns aren't going to happen (The Devs have already clearly stated this on numerous occasions), your only real weapon will be a short hand spear. Personally, I wouldn't ever want to get that close.

Even though I've dived at most spots along Bass Strait in over 20 years, I have yet to see a shark larger than 4 feet long. Plenty of huge stingrays, but no sharks.

Here's the basic problem. Most large marine predators here on Terra don't helpfully roar their guts out when they're attacking. Nine times out of ten, you wouldn't even see them approaching. I had an incident on a night dive at Flinders Pier where there was 'something' in the water with me. I was carrying the powerhead, safety off. Every time I turned around, it was gone. My dive buddies were spotting for me up on the pier. Could not see the blasted thing. At all.

It was a seal. Effortlessly swimming rings around me. If it had been a Great White shark, I wouldn't have stood a chance.
    A week later, I handed both powerheads into South Melbourne police station. Absolutely no bloody use to me at all.

Incidentally, very little that I post on this board is 'irrelevant'. There's usually a point to it. Not my problem if people whip out the old 'tl;dr' card.

Also, it might be worth stopping to consider just how much game you want/expect for your Twenty Bucks. $AU34.04, in my case.

By my reckoning, UWE have already delivered most of what I expected. A little glitchy and incomplete in parts, but still eminently playable and thoroughly enjoyable.
    A storyline or specific quest goals would be nice, but not entirely essential. All that's really needed is the remaining blank biomes to be filled in, the proposed Tech Tree and NPC elements to be integrated, and any remaining rough spots in the game knocked off. That's still a pretty decent job of work by anyone's standards.

It's entirely up to UWE at this point. Any other software developer would be phoning the nearest Dominos for celebratory pizzas, and looking longingly at their Trello Board for the next project. I congratulate them on their tenacity in keeping the Subnautica project in constant development for as long as they have.

This is why I prefer to sit back patiently and wait for the next update. If pressed for an answer, I'd have to say that this insistence on adding more powerful weapons, deadlier threats and game-killing levels of realism is simply the natural reaction of bored children.

Today's lesson: Be still. Wait and see what happens.
    Hmm... maybe... but keep in mind, the reapers do respawn. I like the idea of the "historic mating ritual" thing, but it shouldn't be a result of killing off a pair of other Leviathans (which is hard to do as it is. A Reaper takes six diamond knives.) Maybe after you get to a certain point in the storyline, the room in the Aurora you're in is sealed off. Said room has a window, and you're forced to watch the birth of the Dragon. The Dragon then destroys the window in an effort to kill you, depressurizing the room, and you are automatically pushed by the sudden wave of water through the door (which had been cleared by the change in pressure). Then, you regain control of yourself, and have to escape the Aurora, but the Dragon has been released into the ocean.

I actually meant one reaper and one emperor, cause 2 dead reapers = no dragon, and dragon would possibly equal method of escape(probably swallowed planetary communication device)
  • spyrodragon50spyrodragon50 Indonesia Join Date: 2015-10-13 Member: 208453Members
    how bout add gigantic torpedo for cyclops? or maybe a perimeter system like for seamoth

It might happen.

Bear in mind thatThe Devs will need to order quite a few late-night pizzas in order to implement attack behaviours and damage effects on the Cyclops.

It might happen.

By the way... Ever used a Bang Stick in anger? In 20+ years of diving, I haven't.

I used to dive with one. We call them 'powerheads' here in Oz. I had a .303 and a 12-Gauge version. The .303 was screwed onto a short (4-foot) Hawaiian sling spear. The 12-gauge was fitted with a trumpet adaptor, designed to slip over a cluster spear. That was kept in a holster on my upper thigh. I also carried ONE reload round for the particular calibre that I was using at the time.

They are both single-shot defensive devices. Needs a clean top-down head shot or one as close as possible to the lateral line to be truly effective. If you miss, you are most likely destined to become shark poop. I'm guessing that the 'El Bandito' ammunition bandolier is an American idea. Not terribly practical on a number of counts. Reload times for a real-world powerhead are usually counted in minutes, not seconds.

Anyway, unless you're using a 105mm artillery shell as ammo, your little bangstick is only going to annoy the hell out of an Emperor Leviathan. Since spearguns aren't going to happen (The Devs have already clearly stated this on numerous occasions), your only real weapon will be a short hand spear. Personally, I wouldn't ever want to get that close.

Even though I've dived at most spots along Bass Strait in over 20 years, I have yet to see a shark larger than 4 feet long. Plenty of huge stingrays, but no sharks.

Here's the basic problem. Most large marine predators here on Terra don't helpfully roar their guts out when they're attacking. Nine times out of ten, you wouldn't even see them approaching. I had an incident on a night dive at Flinders Pier where there was 'something' in the water with me. I was carrying the powerhead, safety off. Every time I turned around, it was gone. My dive buddies were spotting for me up on the pier. Could not see the blasted thing. At all.

It was a seal. Effortlessly swimming rings around me. If it had been a Great White shark, I wouldn't have stood a chance.
    A week later, I handed both powerheads into South Melbourne police station. Absolutely no bloody use to me at all.

Incidentally, very little that I post on this board is 'irrelevant'. There's usually a point to it. Not my problem if people whip out the old 'tl;dr' card.

Also, it might be worth stopping to consider just how much game you want/expect for your Twenty Bucks. $AU34.04, in my case.

By my reckoning, UWE have already delivered most of what I expected. A little glitchy and incomplete in parts, but still eminently playable and thoroughly enjoyable.
    A storyline or specific quest goals would be nice, but not entirely essential. All that's really needed is the remaining blank biomes to be filled in, the proposed Tech Tree and NPC elements to be integrated, and any remaining rough spots in the game knocked off. That's still a pretty decent job of work by anyone's standards.

It's entirely up to UWE at this point. Any other software developer would be phoning the nearest Dominos for celebratory pizzas, and looking longingly at their Trello Board for the next project. I congratulate them on their tenacity in keeping the Subnautica project in constant development for as long as they have.

This is why I prefer to sit back patiently and wait for the next update. If pressed for an answer, I'd have to say that this insistence on adding more powerful weapons, deadlier threats and game-killing levels of realism is simply the natural reaction of bored children.

I wasn't saying to actually use a bang stick, or even to implement them.
    I was using the commonly-feared event of a shark attack as an example, and knew that bang sticks were used as a defensive tool against aquatic predators.
    Either way, I have to agree. The final decision in all regards to everything lies with UWE. I'm just saying, I'd prefer the realism factor of something over twice the size of my Cyclops, being able to attack it.

I actually meant one reaper and one emperor, cause 2 dead reapers = no dragon, and dragon would possibly equal method of escape(probably swallowed planetary communication device)

I never said to kill two reapers. I used the word "Leviathan," which encompasses both. Due to the Emperor being larger than the Reaper, I personally would assume it'd be even more difficult to take down. I was just saying that it would be so incredibly difficult to pull off those two kills that most players simply wouldn't even try. I do like the idea of the Dragon being a method of escape.

My comment on the Reapers respawning was to point out that killing one would, in the grand scheme of things, be irrelevant... because another one would just pop up.

It might happen.

It might happen.

I wasn't saying to actually use a bang stick, or even to implement them.
    I was using the commonly-feared event of a shark attack as an example, and knew that bang sticks were used as a defensive tool against aquatic predators.
    Either way, I have to agree. The final decision in all regards to everything lies with UWE. I'm just saying, I'd prefer the realism factor of something over twice the size of my Cyclops, being able to attack it.

I never said to kill two reapers. I used the word "Leviathan," which encompasses both. Due to the Emperor being larger than the Reaper, I personally would assume it'd be even more difficult to take down. I was just saying that it would be so incredibly difficult to pull off those two kills that most players simply wouldn't even try. I do like the idea of the Dragon being a method of escape.

My comment on the Reapers respawning was to point out that killing one would, in the grand scheme of things, be irrelevant... because another one would just pop up.

Ah sorry.

They could change the "Respawn" feature in the future.

Ah sorry.

They could change the "Respawn" feature in the future.

There's actually a thread about that somewhere... I'll look to see if I can find it. The person suggested that there should be a set "spawn number" for each area. Say, in the Safe Shallows, 50 Peepers. Not all will appear at once (due to CPU overload), but you'd have like 5 at a time. If you kill one, another one appears, but it reduces the respawn number. After the spawn number is down to zero, then no more Peepers will respawn in that area.

I actually love that idea, personally. That way, in order to survive, you'd need to find a way to actually keep the ecosystem active.
  • x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    Yes, why not? I mean, it is bigger than the Cyclops.
  • FearlessWolfFearlessWolf United States Join Date: 2015-08-29 Member: 207573Members

(processing...)
    Wat.
    Could you elaborate? What happened?

I was testing out the "taming" of the stalkers, when it suddenly turned on me. I hopped in my Cyclops, hoping to be safe, and it killed me through the wall, spawning me back a the escape pod. Not much else to say.