NS2 Promotional Match Featuring TotalBiscuit & Angry Joe

ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
Hi server ops!

Sometime early next week, you may notice a large influx of new and returning players to NS2. This is due to the Polaris Youtube Network's 'Civil War' series, where lots of big-name Youtubers play indie games. Next week, NS2:TotalBiscuit Vs Angry Joe will air on it's channel. Most youtuber participants will also put up their own perspectives on their channels, potentially having hundreds of thousands if not millions of views. The matches have already taken place on the latest build 276, so we're in a great position of having them played the best version of NS2 possible.

We believe this will cause a lot of people to try, or have another go at NS2. This of course means a chance there will be a LOT of green newbies around! We NEED to try and keep hold of these greens to re-invigorate the community. As the CDT, we've implemented the tutorial as a requirement before being able to play on servers & introduced the new fast-load system which was one of the key issues people had when first loading the game. We would ask Server Ops to encourage their communities to help and keep these new players with kindness and server moderation.

As you can tell, this is potentially a great boon for NS2. It's your communities that have kept NS2 going as much as us continuing to develop NS2. Together we can take NS2 to new heights.

Thanks for running your NS2 servers, and best of luck for next week! :)

-Obraxis

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is great news!

Remember to all the veterans out there, be patient with rookies, don't succumb to anger, we were all rookies too once, rookies of today are tomorrows vets.

If we scare away the population there will be no one left to teach and have fun with.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Time to warm up the gorge /stretch
  • princessprincess Yaaar! Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    perfect signature for this comment @MaxAmus
  • YaluzanYaluzan Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186474Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester
    I'll try to keep our guys in check :smile:
  • VindalooVindaloo Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174127Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do we have enough good public servers for this? I can't tell what kind of influx is expected here.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Vindaloo wrote: »
    Do we have enough good public servers for this? I can't tell what kind of influx is expected here.

According to Steam Charts, Chivalry improved their playerbase by +29.33%. Awesomenauts by +2.22%. I suspect ours will be somewhere closer to Chivalry, so I think we should be OK in terms of servers. I hope. :smile:
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    I will do my best elder gorge
  • Dean0Dean0 Germany Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208253Members
    ouh yeah, i get the HavanaClub Server running for that! :wink:
  • Dean0Dean0 Germany Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208253Members
    btw. where is the official announcement for that? i cant find...
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    I will offer my full commitment to this event, I want nothing but good things for NS2 so I will be present and supportive, and I'll shower the noobies with love. Buiscuit and Joe are some of my favourite personalities, it'll be like Christmas!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It was in some video by Lord Commander Angry Joe, his Angry Army will be challenging the battalions of Captain Biscuit

2:22 NS2 footage :D
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    bah a week after we move and close server down :( i could have been hosting 6 extra servers.
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    No worries, a couple privately hosting operators have readied additional capacity.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hi guys, just an update on the 'Polaris At War' situation.

We expected the matches to go LIVE on Youtube this week as we were informed, but they did not. We contacted Polaris for clarification and they said they are now scheduled for Wednesday 4th of November.

Once again, we ask that you inform your communities and welcome the possible horde of new greens we may receive! This could be HUGE for NS2.

Thanks for running your NS2 servers!

-Obraxis
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good thing. I was thinking the 5% gain we have had is lower than I expected. It must of been from the patch only.