Anti-cheat / dealing with hackers

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    HarmoniusZ wrote: »
    First - it'd be nice if you didn't delete the yesterday's video from twitch. Then, yes, your mouse movement is very unnatural (like 1:55 in the CheatsLive)
    I reviewed that and to me it looks really standard. Instead of demonizing this behavior, I'd suggest that you try and emulate it.
    But, tbh I don't really care if you cheat or not. You are completely unplayable for me. You are just another example why this game needs so much the separation of best and worst players. The playerbase was slaughtered by guys like you joining and ruining game for 20 or more casual players.
    Well you may not care, and I understand how it can be indistinguishable to a lesser skilled player.

I even agree with you that separation is necessary for that reason, it's a valid point. - both for the sake of the high skilled and the low skilled player. Hell, even @Lamb agrees with you:
    Lamb wrote: »
    Games without a matchmaking system will always have gaps in skill & a horrible learning curve.

The game needs it regardless the argument.
    But even though it may be indistinguishable to YOU, there are lightyears between these two allegations - namely the repercussions that follow it.

If a player is shown to be hacking, that is damaging to his reputation forever - and in online games, especially as a competitive player, that's all you fucking have. So make damn sure before you make these allegations - otherwise you just come off as hysterical.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You are wrong. It may look like this if your viewpoint is the viewpoint of a good player. From a perspective of a casual player it doesn't matter if a player like Lamb is a toxic player or his charming personality is filling the server. As long as he is not playing as commander he will ruin experience on a server filled with casual players.

57ac3ca70032d9389a91b2f9c87bea782e6a163a730a4b90c446bae5a3726589.jpg
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2015
    http://www.twitch.tv/lambbbu/v/21011014

Disbelieve if you must, but my intentions are not to intentionally -ruin- your experience, I'm simply playing the game. Casual players are obviously far less experienced with the game which results in them making a lot more mistakes, I will take advantage and punish those. I've always loved how competitive players were immediately identified as the plague of ns2. Currently there are two-three 16 slot servers better suited for competitive players than public & they're rarely even used, so our options are quite limited.

Natural Selection 2 has never encouraged people to improve or learn, you're introduced to the basics via tutorials & then dumped. I'm not implying people need to play competitive, but as your hours increase you should automatically learn & get better.
    Sometimes I'm more casual when streaming, explaining everything I do. If you're interested to learn & have patience, I'll gladly give advice.

But thanks for the considerate words though.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lambo why you gotta do this to the poor pubbers.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Lamb killed ns2.. RIP. It's over bois, "thanks" lamb............
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Why @Lamb
    You're not supposed to punish roockies! You should help them!
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    I doubt anyone would waste their time cheating in NS2 now. During its prime only encountered 2 cheaters and both were banned from all official servers the same day or a day later - It's hard to cheat in NS2 and not be obvious just because of how the game is. Similar to cheating in quake, you'd look like an idiot with aimbot on a projectile weapon.

Have any video proof? I'll take a look at it. In the meantime you can report/submit any evidence to the server owner and they can ban the player from the server. Unlike other games it's much easier to get a player banned from a server on NS2 since the game runs fully on player owned dedicated servers.

Unless of course, said server owners are adolescent clueless titwits sporting enormous banlists on current playercounts.

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Wob wrote: »

LOOK AT THIS!!! FLOOR SKULKING, FLOOR HOPPING, 1 BY 1 SKULKING GOING DOWN A CORRIDOR WITH NO COVER INTO A W2 MARINE.

How on EARTH can you say that LAMB is ruining the game!!! These skulks are THROWING away their lives for NOTHING! Why do you not consider these skulks to be the ones ruining the game? They die, you lose map control, marines snowball.

Why don't they ambush? Why don't they clear the rest of the map where weaker players are? Why don't they have a gorge to engage at same time? Why don't they wait for higher lifeforms if he is in a strong position?

GOLD MEDAL for mental gymnastics to those who think that the marine is the problem and not those skulks... Seriously why do you blame the good player in situations like these when the enemy are playing so badly?

The game might be hard to learn and it might be hard to play, but for the love of God, don't use good players as a scape goat for your own short comings...

I think it's not the proper pedagogy.

It started to look like irony (yes you mr @Lamb ) at first and you obviously continuing the bashing on this player. It leads to only conclusion for him => toxic community... I mean we all know each other painting the wall with the enemy blood right ? Or we know all the "other" nicks we use.

While i can agree the skulks did a poor performance, it's no reason to bash on him.
    While the game isn't perfect it's only logical to see weird things that lead to "hackusations".
    While there is no anti-hack control system in NS2 (or in many games) it's only logical to see people Hackuse.

This game will suffer this type of events as much player get into the game without the proper knowledge.

Try to educate.
  • HarmoniusZHarmoniusZ Poland Join Date: 2013-11-06 Member: 189038Members
    edited October 2015
    Wob wrote: »

LOOK AT THIS!!! FLOOR SKULKING, FLOOR HOPPING, 1 BY 1 SKULKING GOING DOWN A CORRIDOR WITH NO COVER INTO A W2 MARINE.

How on EARTH can you say that LAMB is ruining the game!!! These skulks are THROWING away their lives for NOTHING! Why do you not consider these skulks to be the ones ruining the game? They die, you lose map control, marines snowball.

Why don't they ambush? Why don't they clear the rest of the map where weaker players are? Why don't they have a gorge to engage at same time? Why don't they wait for higher lifeforms if he is in a strong position?

GOLD MEDAL for mental gymnastics to those who think that the marine is the problem and not those skulks... Seriously why do you blame the good player in situations like these when the enemy are playing so badly?

The game might be hard to learn and it might be hard to play, but for the love of God, don't use good players as a scape goat for your own short comings...
    Those skulks are probably casual players. Or they are just thoughtless. Or they are just BAD players because of any other reason like having bad natural predisposition. It doesn't matter. Let them play with players skilled possibly closest to their skill and they will have fun. Because their objective is (most probable) to have fun, and not to compete with best players.

As I wrote earlier in this topic I see the source of the issue not in players. It's lack of solutions implemented in the game since the beginning of NS2 and when few thousands were online. It was the time to separate best and worst, not watching how more and more people where discouraged (add the number of hardware issues...). Currently (with so few servers filled) weakest and best players have to play together, it's dead end.
    If your intentions are so pure, then why do you paste some random video claiming that I named it "unnatural mouse movement"? Putting it into your signature won't make it any better as I've clearly pointed to the exact moment in different video.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @HarmoniusZ and @SantaClaws
    You both advocate for player gating by skill. You say that the game should allow segregation of the top 25% and the bottom 25%. That the bottom could join the middle group server, that the top can join middle group servers, and that the middle and join all groups of servers. What if I told you that similar kinds of segregation are possible right now, and are even in use?

Shine has the ability to limit players by hours. This is an indirect way of skill segregation, but still fairly close. It is really hard to seed these servers. It seeds fairly often in the US for the >350 hour captains server, but it takes forever to seed. Even then there is often many veterans who never join that server.

25% of 200 players is 50 players. If we assumed an even split between Europe and NA, that leaves ~25 players each on the top end and the low end. Do you really expect ~25 players in a region to all join the same server? Lamb said himself that veterans have options, but they don't use them.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2015
    That video... simply makes me jealous of your rig. I'm 90% positive that if i could improve my cpu/gpu, I'd be able to track so much better.. at least a 5% increase in acc. Not huge, but last night... dunno if it was the patch, the server, or a combination of the 2, was the choppiest ns2 experience in like 2 years. So much harder to track when you stutter all over the place.

EDIT: Asked around, that server performs like that for others as well before patch even. Was serv.
    Nordic wrote: »
    You both advocate for player gating by skill. You say that the game should allow segregation of the top 25% and the bottom 25%. That the bottom could join the middle group server, that the top can join middle group servers, and that the middle and join all groups of servers. What if I told you that similar kinds of segregation are possible right now, and are even in use?

Shine has the ability to limit players by hours. This is an indirect way of skill segregation, but still fairly close. It is really hard to seed these servers. It seeds fairly often in the US for the >350 hour captains server, but it takes forever to seed. Even then there is often many veterans who never join that server.

25% of 200 players is 50 players. If we assumed an even split between Europe and NA, that leaves ~25 players each on the top end and the low end. Do you really expect ~25 players in a region to all join the same server? Lamb said himself that veterans have options, but they don't use them.

To be clear. I never said the top-bottom 25% thing. I do not care HOW we segregate. Segregating by playtime is fine with me, I'd probably prefer something like hive skill though.

However, what I would like to see, before all else, is that what ever details are decided, it's enforced. -So yea, I see the max/min servers, and those are great - I want that shit to be the standard. Not the fringe servers that nobody seed as you rightly point out.

You say 25% of 200 players is 50 players. Yes, but this pool of 50 players is still able to play the middle 100 players. So in your analogy, it'd be closer to asking if 150/2 = 75 would be likely to join the same server.

-but again, I'm not the one saying the 25% thing, if it is thinning the playerbase too thinly - then adjust that number accordingly...
    Nordic wrote: »

The system would have to be obligatory for every public server. The %numbers are just examples and should be adjusted accordingly to current active playerbase. I don't think it's possible at the current stage, it's too late imho, but there's really little to lose with this kind of experiment and a lot to potentially win.

BTW, many people thinks that good working matchmaking would solve the problem ignoring the fact that, as long as every player (stomper) can join the server manually, it won't.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    BTW, many people thinks that good working matchmaking would solve the problem ignoring the fact that, as long as every player (stomper) can join the server manually, it won't.
    Sorry, but you're pathetic.
    edited October 2015
    Sorry, but you're pathetic.
    I'm not the one who cut few words from my whole sentence only to use it in newly created video with completely different context and then even pasting it to your signature only to boost your ego.

I posted my opinion. You can disagree, just say i'm wrong, you can call invectives, you can even post stupid graphics if you really have to show yourself in the topic and your brain doesn't help. It's all (more or less) part of conversation.

But don't cut few word of my sentence and use it this way because it's childish manipulation. Opinions may seem extreme, but where manipulation comes the conversation is impossible. Looking how easily you made the trick only makes me thinking that you'd do a lot more to boost your ego playing the game and another "I was not using it all the time"-story is waiting round the corner.
    @HarmoniusZ maan, you could've taken the high ground there, but you decided to hackuse him again...?

Let it go - or present proper evidence man..
    edited October 2015
    He deleted the stream.
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    @HarmoniusZ maan, you could've taken the high ground there, but you decided to hackuse him again...?
    Where do you see it? Read again with understanding. All I say is that manipulation makes it more probable in my eyes. But I guess you are right after all, I just have to much time (flu vacation) to waste, it's time to stop it.
    He deleted the stream.
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Where do you see it? Read again with understanding.
    Please.
    HarmoniusZ wrote:
    another "I was not using it all the time"-story is waiting round the corner.
    That's a hackusation.
    Oh comon. Read the whole sentence. :D This is getting dangerously too ridiculous.
  • YaluzanYaluzan Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186474Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester
    @HarmoniusZ

I'm just putting this out here as statement of the NSL Head Admin.

Lamb has been playing in the NSL since early 2013 and has always been playing at a really high level, I have seen him play for years, i have been a referee in plenty of his matches, and in the past years no one accused him off hacking in the NSL because people know he is a good player.

Now, you know the term Unguilty until proven otherwise? Unless you are able to give us solid evidence of him hacking, all you are doing is hackusating.

I heard that more and more people are calling Lamb a hacker because of either this thread or people contacting each other about it(including people with admin rights on servers), since you don't have proof of him hacking, all you are doing is spreading hackusations and ruining someone's experience by doing so. People just label him as a hacker without evidence right now and that isn't right. I'll hopefully get in contact with some of the server owners soon to resolve these issues. I might be able to talk to the server owners but the community will be a completely different story...

You also talked about those really good players ruining the experience, well they don't have other servers to go on, Most used to play on some competitive pub servers like HBZ but since the game is low on players its hard to get those up and running because most of us just want to pop in and play immediately. They just don't have a choice but to play on TTO, IBIS or DMD(among others).

The 25/50/25% split was used in APB Reloaded, it didn't work out at all, you had the lower 25% playing on low/mid servers. the top 25% played on the mid servers, why? the top servers were dead because not enough people were on to make it interesting. so you had the 50% in the middle getting annoyed at the low skilled players AND high skill players on their server. and then still the lower and higher skilled players meeting and getting annoyed at each other because of that. ESPECIALLY because of the low population in NS2 right now, it will never work out.

If you want to send me evidence of lamb, or anyone hacking, either post it here, message me here, message me on ensl.org or mail me (email can be found on the staff list at ensl.org). Even if said person isn't playing in the NSL, i can get high level comp players to check it out and see what they think about it.

- Yaluzan, NSL Head Admin

(And sorry if there are grammar mistakes, its almost 2 AM)
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    FWIW, TGNS has a consistently enforced rule against haccusations on the game server. We tolerate none of it on the game server -- not jokes, not passive aggression, not sarcasm, not flippant quips, not euphemisms, not innuendo, not "lol jk he's my friend", not genuine reports, not anything ON THE GAME SERVER. We enthusiastically accept private reports off the game server and investigate credible reports diligently and quietly. Otherwise, on the game server, just convert that haccusation/joke/whatever energy into teamplay to defeat the challenge, however "legit". We welcome coordinated, communicative "pub" players, however skilled. So, while you're welcome to suck, you get to deal with whatever skill comes at you, and without unduly bitching about it.

And, taking my admin hat off: I sometimes ask my average-skill peers to consider what effect celebrity has on these powerhouses. I ask them to consider if our constantly reminding them of their relatively abnormal skill is taxing for them. I ask my peers to question if powerhouses eventually tire of the attention once their egos are sufficiently stroked. I question what fellowship opportunities you miss out on by focusing every other interaction you have with someone on their skill, even if it's admiration. 20 years in gaming has taught me that the bad social reputation of the "comp" NS player is too often well-earned, but damn if we can't do better as "casual" players.
    edited October 2015
    Yaluzan wrote: »
    @HarmoniusZ
    The 25/50/25% split was used in APB Reloaded, it didn't work out at all, you had the lower 25% playing on low/mid servers. the top 25% played on the mid servers, why? the top servers were dead because not enough people were on to make it interesting. so you had the 50% in the middle getting annoyed at the low skilled players AND high skill players on their server. and then still the lower and higher skilled players meeting and getting annoyed at each other because of that. ESPECIALLY because of the low population in NS2 right now, it will never work out.
    This is different split. In my proposition there are 3 ranges but 2 kinds of servers only. The majority of players can play both (depending on their mood and if they want to play more casually or to compete with highest skilled players). The ranges should be adjustable depending on current number of players on servers and their skill (that would be helpful especially during sales, free-weekends where fixed-split would become useless):
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2255647/#Comment_2255647

Worst and best players cannot play at the same servers as in you APB example. Of course it is still (imho highly) possible that MID-HIGH servers will become much less populated than LOW-MID. But it'd only confirm that the highest-skilled players are not really so nutritious but rather poisonous when speaking about number of players playing this game (this is not trying to blame anyone, just stating the fact that most people play to have fun not to be the best). And it'd be adjusted by moving the ranges boundaries.

But I agree that implementing it would be very problematic at this point. But still you could lose not much with this experiment or gain a lot.

• YaluzanYaluzan Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186474Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester

Worst and best players cannot play at the same servers as in you APB example. Of course it is still (imho highly) possible that MID-HIGH servers will become much less populated than LOW-MID. But it'd only confirm that the highest-skilled players are not really so nutritious but rather poisonous when speaking about number of players playing this game (this is not trying to blame anyone, just stating the fact that most people play to have fun not to be the best). And it'd be adjusted by moving the ranges boundaries.
    No, in apb the worst can play with the best, and this is why the middle skilled players get annoyed. Either that or the highest skilled players lose and go down to medium skill to play on more servers.

And @HarmoniusZ, nothing to say about the lambo part of my wall of text?
    edited October 2015
    I'm not sure if I uderstand you - they split players into 3 ranges and then let the worst play with best anyway. So the purpose of the split was not to separate them. How is it relevant to my proposition?
    I just gave my opinion on the forum and have nothing more to say. If you think that this is not "the way" why do you keep nagging me?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited October 2015
    Alright this is getting ridiculous. @HarmoniusZ , 1., if people keep telling you that someone is not hacking and they are much more experienced than you in that subject, then you should listen or else everyone will just view you as arrogant and will simply stop taking you seriously. 2., There is no possible way to split NS2 players with such a small population, so leave the matter alone.
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    there is cheat for this game? i thought having map that shows enemy nearby or detected and listen to the sound of cutie skulks clicking their sexy heels is enough to make anyone good if you can aim
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2015
    I'm not sure if I uderstand you - they split players into 3 ranges and then let the worst play with best anyway. So the purpose of the split was not to separate them. How is it relevant to my proposition?
    I just gave my opinion on the forum and have nothing more to say. If you think that this is not "the way" why do you keep nagging me?

If you went to the police and falsely informed them of a murder which never happenned, you would be fined or worse for wasting police time. "Its just my opinion" doesnt cut it as an excuse.

@HarmoniusZ you owe lambo and the rest of the forums an apology.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I demand a public apology this instance! HEAR HEAR!
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer