Training? again? forced? ffs guys come on

BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited October 2015 in Technical Support
Hi UWE,

I'm not a newbie, I've played a lot of NS2. Yet why can't I skip training? The game has flagged me as a newbie now for the second time, why it keeps doing it I don't know.

Let's outline how I'm not a newbie:

* acct creation date, 2009
* ran beta key give aways (hugh coordinated this with me)
* played ns1 back when it was hl1
* 357hrs on acct

The tutorial is not only annoying to go through, I can't figure out how to finish it. And yet, I know how to play, can't skip it, and naturally can't play because it's _REQUIRED_.

This is not good. Please help.

Comments

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    BloodyIron wrote: »
    Hi UWE,

I'm not a newbie, I've played a lot of NS2. Yet why can't I skip training? The game has flagged me as a newbie now for the second time, why it keeps doing it I don't know.

* 357hrs on acct

The tutorial is not only annoying to go through, I can't figure out how to finish it. And yet, I know how to play, can't skip it, and naturally can't play because it's _REQUIRED_.

did you say 357 hours? a whole 357?

yeah you're not a newbie any more... barely.
    you could use the tutorial meat.

I almost have 357 hours in HIVE alone.
  • BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    357 hours is over 9 weeks straight of 40 hours a week. If you think 357 hours isn't enough to pass the tutorial...

amoral wrote: »
    Hi UWE,

* 357hrs on acct

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Had you installed/reinstalled the game before or after the last update?
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Simple fix, forced training but let people bypass in settings(make it harder to find)
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    amoral wrote: »

• BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Uh I had the game uninstalled for quite some time. I have been running on a very small SSD, but after the latest update I figured I would see how much faster loading was!

Why?

2cough wrote: »
    Had you installed/reinstalled the game before or after the last update?

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's way lame. I have to seriously put up with 4hrs of tutorial? Before I can play with humans?

Nordic wrote: »

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's way lame. I have to seriously put up with 4hrs of tutorial? Before I can play with humans?

Nordic wrote: »

Believe me, humans aren't all that great either.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    It's all based on the Hive now, and not the hours recorded by Steam.

So if you played long ago, before you logged hours into Hive, then yes it will consider you a rookie.

If you have any issues completing the tutorial and you are not using Linux, please describe the issues you are encountering.

Sorry for the inconvenience
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    edited October 2015
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    @devel Good point, I did not mention two exceptions : currently the linux build has a broken tutorial and as Ghoul said we are on it, it should be fixed shortly. Should be fixed now!

Secondly, Hive has been occasionally messing up, with certain people unable to connect to it for some reason - we are looking into this.
    edited October 2015
    Welp, I'm in Linux :P
    @BloodyIron An update was JUST pushed out right now, please test it and report back?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We just released a new hotfix version. Should include new linux binaries.
    Certainly! :)

IronHorse wrote: »
    @BloodyIron An update was JUST pushed out right now, please test it and report back?

The tutorial ran fine for me, except at the end I wasn't clear if I could safely leave, so I just left, but might be worth saying that you can safely leave.

I'm also having a graphical glitch when I alt tab out of the game and back in, weird horizontal lines and stuff.

IronHorse wrote: »

• this_is_asininethis_is_asinine sigh Join Date: 2015-10-22 Member: 208662Members
    edited October 2015
    please see http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/139243/tutorial-doesnt-load-period-cannot-play-game?new=1

I disagree with forced training. It damages the game player base and is really quite... asinine.
  • iskunderiskunder Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68414Members
    certainly I can come up with a good reasons to have the training but also to be able to skip it. Why pick one or the other when we can have best of both worlds.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    iskunder wrote: »
    certainly I can come up with a good reasons to have the training but also to be able to skip it. Why pick one or the other when we can have best of both worlds.

Why post in a thread that's over a year old?
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    iirc iamsquad5 in console (I recall reading; not sure if it still works).
  • Storm_SeekerStorm_Seeker Join Date: 2011-01-13 Member: 77359Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    iskunder wrote: »

Why post in a thread that's over a year old?

... if it is still relevant, as I have just found.

I have recently re-installed the game after a long time, and despite having 400+ hours, I have to complete a tutorial. WHY!? Has the core game changed SO much???
    This really boiled my blood with rage. I can understand having it for actual new players and agree it is a good idea. But how and why a person has to do it who has so many hours logged is a stretch. So, I resorted to coming to the internet for answers. And given it is in the guidelines to do a search before making a new post... why have a go at someone for posting in something a year later?

Luckily, typing 'iamsquad5' into the console AND RESTARTING THE GAME worked. Thank you to all those that provide the answer. Seems like a work around that I shouldn't have to do though. Shame to come back to a B5 start when I have so much love for the game and I am looking forward to moving past this and playing the game again <3
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    I remember looking forward to trying the tutorial when it was introduced. I don't understand the anger on posts like this.
  • caperpcaperp TSF quick reaction team "ELOgain" Join Date: 2014-02-05 Member: 193823Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are only two cases tbh:
    1: you finish the tutorials in less than 10 minutes
    2: you really really need to play the tutorial

so i don't get it either @TinCan
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Believe me, humans aren't all that great either.

I find your lack of optimism worrisome x)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    You guys don't like my yelling? :(
    Guys, there's a console command that @redsword referred to that should work. Have you not tried it?
    edited November 2016
    The game has changed quite a bit over the years.
    And if you haven't played it in so long, it might be helpful to review how the game works, or see what's changed.
    It's a whole 10 minutes of your life and if its so insulting to you because you are clearly a pro who knows how to play... then you can breeze right through the tutorial faster than that.

Lastly.. the tutorial is not mandatory.. You can simply choose not to go through it. But as a result you will be relegated to rookie only servers until you reach a certain level (around 20 hours or so).
    This ensures people can learn or RELEARN how to play in a safe environment instead of being stomped, but if you still want to play with the big boys right away you can.

Spreading this console command around really does a disservice to new players, along with returning ones.
    If a player who played on launch (4 years ago!) returns.. they'll have no idea wtf a gorge tunnel is, let alone the upgrades or half the mechanics in the game.
    Let them watch an intro video and spend a few minutes in a tutorial that they can breeze through if they dont want to play with rookies.

Now.. if NS2 made you re play the tutorial 4 times in 4 months like Evolve did to me, then I'd understand and relate to the anger. But that's not the case. Ns2 got a skill tracking system implemented years after launch and that has been the cutoff between whether the game treats you like a rookie or not.