Faster than a speeding bullet! ok, not that fast - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Hi I don't currently have ns2 installed but it says the sensitivity now defaults to 2.5 - will this overwrite my old sensitivity when I launch the game?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    ezekel wrote: »
    Hi I don't currently have ns2 installed but it says the sensitivity now defaults to 2.5 - will this overwrite my old sensitivity when I launch the game?
    No, that's only for when you have never launched the game (ie. no config file at all).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @gorant
    Disable ambient occlusion in the graphics options - it takes another 20-30 fps and introduces mouse input delay.

And while I can almost appreciate that people do not like change regardless of what it brings... the UI size you are seeing is what everyone else who has been running supported resolutions has been using since the beginning, with zero complaints.
    So if that alone is enough to make you quit a game.. sounds like you were already there anyways.

Try to understand that this game was unplayable for many players using higher resolutions, with UI items like the map being completely unusable.
    You happened to be in a resolution that wasn't high enough to be completely negatively affected by this, but were still using UI sizes that were never intended.
    We've always wanted scaling UI, and if it were in the game from the beginning I doubt we'd be seeing so much discontent over this change..

That all being said, there's an added option for those like yourself who prefer the improperly sized UI if you are in a server running NS2+ (almost every server)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    Baemm1337 wrote: »
    @gorant I have absolutely same problem with res and fps. Told @Obraxis about that ...

Nvidia introduced a bug in their latest Nvidia drivers (the Battlefront Game-Ready ones) that drops some people's FPS with our 276 patch. Reverting drivers back to previous has fixed some people's issues. I'm @IronHorse so he knows in future.
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Darn, I was really hoping this update would fix red plug lag in large/modded servers. Nevertheless, good changes.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    PuphBall wrote: »
    Darn, I was really hoping this update would fix red plug lag in large/modded servers. Nevertheless, good changes.

There is a bug in this build that causes some red plugs on servers. We're working to get a fix out for this ASAP (I'm talking days, not weeks, here).
  • Baemm1337Baemm1337 Germany Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202488Members
    edited October 2015
    @Obraxis I switched back from nVidia Driver 358.50 to 347.25 (was installed before and was all fine). Now it got my full FPS back but I got this bug:
    d83596649u83.jpg
    3qbpk4js1c9v.jpg
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    @Baemm1337 That's not a bug with 276. Try disabling NS2+.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    @Baemm1337 Please put your large images into spoilers in the future. Thanks.

It seems like you have pissed off the NS2+ overlord too much and have to endure your godly punishment. Time to apologize or stop using servers with ns2+.
  • Baemm1337Baemm1337 Germany Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202488Members
    and THIS seems not quite normal too ... my weapon is rotating on the screen, when I'm moving ...
    0a1znadsa7w0.jpg
    tji9ned14jl1.jpg
    4i0po3plbwte.jpg
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ahahahah, @Mendasp surely just made my day (actually night)! A great way to mock a rude poster, dunno if it's intentional or just a coincidence. I had that "bug" once on a server when followed a request of some player. Just imagine how it should look like from the 3rd person perspective if it wouldn't be only for the viewmodel!
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Isnt that swalk vision? :D
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Load times are very nice, even on a non SSD - second map on any game is blindingly fast compared to previous iterations.

Seems to be some discrepancy in FPS amongst players, but that will always be an issue when changing LUA files, some of us will benefit, some will lose out. Par for the course.

CDT might want to acknowledge the game is now in a state that it was originally intended to be - to allow 32 player plus servers of NS2. Gone are the days of 6v6, if they were ever here for the majority of us 50,000+ (paying) players that haven't played competitively.

Despite what those with thousands of hours in the game wish, currently big servers have more consistent player retention, maybe some more ideas towards mass market fun and less elitism?
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    @rkfg It's a 276 bug. The hotfix is coming out on Tuesday from what I hear.
    Here's the issue on the CDT's trello board.
    https://trello.com/c/B1wa829F/905-fix-that-the-server-red-plugs-when-receiving-client-s-moves-out-of-order

Best thing to do is if you get a redplug. Wait it out like a bad storm. Eventually it'll pass
  • gorantgorant Austrlaia Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208534Members
    Mendasp wrote: »
    gorant wrote: »
    Obraxis wrote: »
    OMG!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY GAME?! IT LOOKS LIKE AIDS AND EBOLA HAD A BABY!!! playing on 1440p and everything is so extreme big, I cant see shit. WTF!!! you fucked my game! I was also playing well on 130fps and now I got 90!!! GIMME MA BABY BACK!

The UI and elements now scale correctly. They were not correct previously as the UI did not support scaling.

I'm having heaps of issues with this. Buying at armory, being a com and when you have the mini map top left of screen it takes up huge amounts of screen space. Please give us a way around this!!! (2560x1600 res btw on a 30" monitor)

Is it hard for you to read the thread and see I added an option to NS2+ for what you want or is your res so high you can't see the text?

I tried the NS2+ thing, the 'Revert to the broken scaling" setting, it made everything SUPER tiny. Not how it was. =(
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    FTR the load times ARE EXTREMELY FAST from what I was experiencing. I was over 10 minutes to load. Now its less than 3.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Obraxis wrote: »
    OMG!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY GAME?! IT LOOKS LIKE AIDS AND EBOLA HAD A BABY!!! playing on 1440p and everything is so extreme big, I cant see shit. WTF!!! you fucked my game! I was also playing well on 130fps and now I got 90!!! GIMME MA BABY BACK!

The UI and elements now scale correctly. They were not correct previously as the UI did not support scaling.

I'm having heaps of issues with this. Buying at armory, being a com and when you have the mini map top left of screen it takes up huge amounts of screen space. Please give us a way around this!!! (2560x1600 res btw on a 30" monitor)

Is it hard for you to read the thread and see I added an option to NS2+ for what you want or is your res so high you can't see the text?

I tried the NS2+ thing, the 'Revert to the broken scaling" setting, it made everything SUPER tiny. Not how it was. =(

Yea unfortunately it can't go back to EXACTLY how it was before, too much "under the hood" stuff changed.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The scaling is fine it only appears different because fonts changed too.
  • HoliHoli Sweden Join Date: 2014-01-28 Member: 193600Members
    edited October 2015
    Oki.. Pointer is highly pixelated @ 4K resolution since you scale it up so much and the game is clearly meant for playing at over 100Hz so until those monitors (and gfx cards able to handle it) come I wouldn't recommend the experience :)

Apart from that it's very cool that you can play the game at 4K :D
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Great patch! Loading times are a lot better even with SSD, and UI scaling makes all text much clearer and pleasing to the eye. A small changes for future builds:

- The news menu inside the game needs dates attached to the news items. This helps players who don't come to forum to keep up with when patches are released and quickly track development progress.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Ideally UI scaling would be an option where individual players could set individual parts as big or small as they wished. Less ideally, scaling the entire UI on a single slider. Forcing a completely new (and fixed) scaling setup onto people who were comfortable with the prior sizing is probably the worst possible implementation of the feature.

Yes I'm aware NS2+ has an option to turn it off, it hardly even affects me as is but I wouldn't mind the option to change things (without having to mod it myself that is).

Anyway, that aside I've noticed that the word wra
    pping recently went wonky. It seems we now hav
    e more characters to type with (though still less t
    han a tweet), but the word wrapping pays absolut
    ely no attention to spaces and therefore can mak
    e things quite annoying to read, no?
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    DMD is redplugging all over the place for me. Though not sure, that might also be reserved slot issues?

And LF is frankly unplayable. Think they need to update their mods. Would like it if someone would post when LF doesn't run like shit anymore.

Beyond that, loadtimes are nice, I think I actually loaded first into a map change... Ever. Like ever.

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited October 2015
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Ideally UI scaling would be an option where individual players could set individual parts as big or small as they wished. Less ideally, scaling the entire UI on a single slider. Forcing a completely new (and fixed) scaling setup onto people who were comfortable with the prior sizing is probably the worst possible implementation of the feature.

Yes I'm aware NS2+ has an option to turn it off, it hardly even affects me as is but I wouldn't mind the option to change things (without having to mod it myself that is).

Anyway, that aside I've noticed that the word wra
    pping recently went wonky. It seems we now hav
    e more characters to type with (though still less t
    han a tweet), but the word wrapping pays absolut
    ely no attention to spaces and therefore can mak
    e things quite annoying to read, no?

I'll probably change the switch to a slider in the next NS2+ update because it's easily doable (I'm thinking 5% to 200% should cover everything). You can't really do it granularly without an insane amount of work (or a billion console commands/options/sliders).

About the wrapping, are you talking about the chat? Because there's a console command that controls how much of the screen the chat takes up horizontally, it's "chatwrapamount", valid values are between 10 and 40 (%).

Also, still waiting for @Baemm1337 and @smyli to apologize, unless they really like how their game looks like now :D
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2015
    Btw, I've found that hidden url where @Mendasp stores the steam ids of guilty players. There are swalk mode, master res (obviously the broken scaling) and golden modes, dunno what it is but also don't want to learn it by myself. Quite a cruel functionality you have there tbh, with great power (having your mod installed nearly on each server) comes great responsibility and sometimes it's pretty questionable if one can judge others all by himself.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    rkfg wrote: »
    Btw, I've found that hidden url where @Mendasp stores the steam ids of guilty players. There are swalk mode, master res (obviously the broken scaling) and golden modes, dunno what it is but also don't want to learn it by myself. Quite a cruel functionality you have there tbh, with great power (having your mod installed nearly on each server) comes great responsibility and sometimes it's pretty questionable if one can judge others all by himself.

It's not really hidden at all (come on you can see it with one look at the github repo). Anyway another day to tell ppl to watch out what kind of mods they use and servers they join.
    rkfg wrote: »

Considering it's in github for everyone to see, I wouldn't call it hidden. And you can read any mod's code, you can't really hide anything.

But I can tell you this is pretty easy to judge:

Especially considering both NS2+ and all the CDT work I've done has been at the expense of my free time with no compensation (except some generous donations a while back). If someone's going to act like a cunt and post that kind of stuff, let me tell you they deserve far worse. I don't have a problem with someone not liking something, but expose it like an adult and you'll be treated as such.
    Considering it's in github for everyone to see, I wouldn't call it hidden. And you can read any mod's code, you can't really hide anything.
    It's hidden like in "not advertised". And also not everyone follows github but now I searched a bit and yep, it's clearly there.
    But I can tell you this is pretty easy to judge:

Especially considering both NS2+ and all the CDT work I've done has been at the expense of my free time with no compensation (except some generous donations a while back). If someone's going to act like a cunt and post that kind of stuff, let me tell you they deserve far worse. I don't have a problem with someone not liking something, but expose it like an adult and you'll be treated as such.

I'm trying not to be a devil's advocate here but still this prank looks as childish as @Baemm1337 words. Do you really need to step down to his level? It's easy to banish and mock a player if the playerbase is huge, no one would care. With NS2 I don't think so. Banning on a server for being a dick is one thing, destroying the game on nearly all servers because a player was misbehaving on the game forum, not even in the game itself? Well, I think it's over the top. He can't even disable this mod because it's forced from the server. I also think you're not solving the problem but further escalating the conflict and that's not how people do it. Banning from the forum would be fair enough as it's done on Steam and I believe everywhere else.
    edited October 2015
    I never claimed this is a mature thing to do. It's very clear what the point is.

I just updated NS2+ with the new UI Scale slider. And also disabled the troll modes for the 2 beautiful people here, but they won't be able to use the scaling options, because they clearly don't deserve them.

Cheers.