NS2 Game Survey - Results Now Available!

bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited October 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
Hi all,

The results to the survey I made are now in. Thank you to everyone who took the time to complete it - we had just over 200 responses over a period of a week!

You can view a full summary of the results using this link. It includes pretty graphs as well as the open ended responses:

View the Results:
http://bit.ly/1kDWBpf

For those wanting a quick summary to look at here, I've broken down the sections below:

NS2's Accessibility
FdjmL8l.jpg
aKwcC7u.jpg
9pogZdx.jpg

Playing on NS2 Servers
K8yX9kb.jpg
pFEL34S.jpg
CExo0NS.jpg

NS2's Commanding System
AyAZgSl.jpg
Fyc9hXO.jpg

Performance
cW6nkj7.jpg
lQPR8R9.jpg

The future of Natural Selection
EsJvTCm.jpg
nPGu5JP.jpg
WgNXANP.jpg

Some things to keep in mind when reading these results:
  • The survey is a small snapshot of the community - most of the respondents are current and past players who know the game very well, so the results are likely to represent their thoughts.
  • The survey was made live after the latest patch (276)
  • responses came from an array of countries worldwide
  • The survey is not official or representative of the CDT or UWE. It is a community driven endeavor.

Feel free to discuss the results below!

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Took me more like 10 minutes, but maybe I put too much thought into it.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    its longer than 3 minutes but good questions i though.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Took me about 2.9785 minutes I dony know what is wrong with people???
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    Asking this on the hater forum, it will surely give a most balanced set of opinions about 24+.
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    thanks for the responses so far - close to 100 responses now, but it would be great to get more! Tell ya friends! xo
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Only interesting and relevant questions. I'd be curious to find out the results.
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Only interesting and relevant questions. I'd be curious to find out the results.

all i've ever wanted to do was please you pelargir.

we're up to 150 responses now! good job friends, lets try make 200 by next week - keep sharing it with your friends! We've even had some server ops put it as their message of the day (thanks BabblerKing!)

xo
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2015
    A little detail: 18 player servers are not standard. If standard means how NS2 is meant to be played. That would be 6v6 and 8v8.
    Defacto standard in public is above 18 too.
    great job all - sitting at 175 responses now. Hoping we can make 200 by Monday! After next week the response rate will probably drop off, and as it does i'll start putting together the results for you guys to check out.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    that took me way longer than 3 minutes!
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I smell a TIME THIEF! ^_^
    time-thief.jpg
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited October 2015
    Give me those extra 7 minutes back.

Myah! I'd probably have wasted them anyway.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    survey is now closed and the results are in. Thank you to all who took the time to complete it. :)

Scroll up to my first post to check out the results!

Feel free to discuss them below.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited October 2015
    Gonna do some nitpicking here: It isn't called CryEngine 3 anymore, just CryEngine.

Also, engine-wise, lets see how Spark 2 turns out in Future Perfect before continuing that part of the discussion.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I found the bit about server size interesting. I have often thought few people like 24p servers but they only play on them because they are all there are. It was also interesting most think balance gets worse as player count goes up, even though about half prefer servers over 24p.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2015
    I'm am a bit suspect of Archie's server. it is not vac secured and could be exploited. Please address this with the server host.
    If someone had a problem with it, they could message Archie directly, or even for one understand it's his own server to admin and the only exploitation that could have been done would have been from there being no consistency at all on the server, otherwise anyone can join at his discretion, he'll just ban them as there's always an admin on.

No complaints so far and no suspected hackers, that and it's not optimised for extra addons and latency from things like configs/vac. Also i refuse to use vac in a situation where some players from russia/china/south america cannot join due to various reasons. I support NS/NS2 from all respects and the only thing that having a non-vac server will bring is hackers, and they're usually delt with swiftly, already added a few to the banlist from other servers.

edit:lol'd at the fuck flayra in the survey _b

Things i'm most unsurprised about is that they want combat to be merged into the game, maybe not the same combat as standalone, but something more akin to ns1 combat, where you can change map from ns-co and do some training, practice, have a a round of combat and get back to 5 or 6 rounds of ns2, that's what happened, seed a server with combat, play ns after there was enough people.

Thanks for the feedback Bonage.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    NS3 ?

Just speculation on his part. Who hasn't thought about it though? :)
    bonage wrote: »
    survey is now closed and the results are in. Thank you to all who took the time to complete it. :)

Scroll up to my first post to check out the results!

Feel free to discuss them below.

AWESOME survey, this is actually very helpful to us. :)
    coolitic wrote: »
    Gonna do some nitpicking here: It isn't called CryEngine 3 anymore, just CryEngine.

Also, engine-wise, lets see how Spark 2 turns out in Future Perfect before continuing that part of the discussion.

You could be waiting a while. Future Perfect is on hold while Subnautica is worked on. There's a post by Insane on the forums to explain FP's situation.
    Nordic wrote: »
    I found the bit about server size interesting. I have often thought few people like 24p servers but they only play on them because they are all there are. It was also interesting most think balance gets worse as player count goes up, even though about half prefer servers over 24p.

(Note to self: deliberately un-balance ns2, people evidently like that sort of thing.)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Weird ...

which team do you think in a standard 18 player game is more likely to win?
    This question is asked the wrong way. We all know above a certain amount of player and skill level, the alien can only (if not barely) defend the 2 natural RTs. And when Lerks and Fades are out, it's still flipping a coin. On the other hand the lower the skill the better the aliens have a chance to win as long as they can cripple the marine PG and movement.

Which commander do you think is harder to play?
    -> 63% marine commander
    ... hmmm wait... what!?
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Matchmaking, ingame-stores and Sparks for NS3...we are doomed.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Matchmaking, ingame-stores and Sparks for NS3...we are doomed.

Don't be like that, I want hats

I want to pimp out me gorge
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited October 2015
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »

You could be waiting a while. Future Perfect is on hold while Subnautica is worked on. There's a post by Insane on the forums to explain FP's situation.

We have to wait for FP to make significant progress before development for NS3 starts anyways.
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    Is there a confirmed NS3 build coming in the future? If so, we'll need to ensure we have good internet in our old age homes.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Biased questions. Do you want the game to be more optimized? Uh no? Do you want better graphics? Uh no?

There are 2x more marine coms mostly voting sure marine comming is more difficult than alien com.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Well the poll showed 16 slot servers are, apparently being requested.
    Some taw folk also requested 16 slot pubs.

As a result, at the moment as a test, I reduced both taws pub servers their playercount to 16.
    Well the poll showed 16 slot servers are, apparently being requested.
    Some taw folk also requested 16 slot pubs.

As a result, at the moment as a test, I reduced both taws pub servers their playercount to 16.

TAW needs a US presence. Maybe an easy cost or Chicago server? Yes. o:)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Nordic I am GLAD you asked.
    Because taw IS very much in the process of starting a NA battalion. 'Currently' I am assisting in configuring a NA server, by giving the NA server admin advice and stuff.
    Of course you do not need to join taw to play on the pub servers, but if you ever wanted to join taw but could not due to location.. then I can only say 'soon'.

Feel free to ask more, spread the news, etc etc. :)
  • YaluzanYaluzan Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186474Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester
    alster wrote: »
    Biased questions. Do you want the game to be more optimized? Uh no? Do you want better graphics? Uh no?

There are 2x more marine coms mostly voting sure marine comming is more difficult than alien com.
    Tbh, a GOOD alien comm is hard to find (one that is also active on the field, together with commanding). In pubs you never see this because your hive will get stolen 99% of the time.

Both Alien and Marine commanding are difficult to master, its just that as marine commander you have to deal with medpacks and ammo, while the Alien Commander deals with drifters and his own presence on the field which can affect a lot of things like res biting and a different amount of players to deal with or supply pressure.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Would you look at a that, 38.9% of the polled players enjoy playing on servers with over 24 players in it. Hopefully that means we can get some 32 player slot servers at some point.

I really wish Wooza's was 32 instead of 42 to help spread out the community a little more as well.