First Time Playing

friendlybusfriendlybus Join Date: 2005-02-10 Member: 40594Members
Just got out of my first two matches of ns2. First one was 3 players, one guy (silentcroucher?) was amazing. He showed me the ropes on alltalk. He was really polite.

Then joined a big 32player server. A lotta action, team was doing well enough. Commander was an asshole. Bitching, swearing at his marines, every 10seconds he would bitch about something. Then came the rage, full on unrestrained shouting. When people voted to evict he laid down the fear "you'll lose without me". It was a really shitty experience. I don't think I'll come back if I hit that kinda guy again.

Comments

• MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Welcome, I find that when i come across these players, Mute them, then that stops them from being a Dick, all games have them, not matter what you play, but with NS2 like Ghoul said, there is some really nice Servers to play on, where you wont come across this as much, and if you do there is always an admin around that you can poke either from the steam group or just adding them on steam.

But dont give in to these guys, just mute them, find a new server if you can, but ovarall dont let them ruin the game for you.
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    I'm really curious how he oh so gently avoided any names in the shaming part.
    Oh.
    So.
    Curious.

Open a stand up comedy show.

• WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    find some moderated server to play on
    This is the solution! You can't control how other people act, so find a server which effectively prohibits what you don't want and then consistently play THERE. This game gets SO MUCH BETTER when played with (and against!) friends.

TGNS is "TacticalGamer.com" in your Server Browser. We're North America and we're active most evenings. http://rr.tacticalgamer.com to learn more.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hi @Submiqent welcome to ns2 and welcome to the forum.

Great advice coming from these guys already- I just wanna say:

I recognize the 2nd situation you speak of, I was there - not as a player, it was full so I could only spectate. And I recognize the phrase "you'll lose without me" in particular as well.

The player in question, is well known in the community - and yes, he is extremely toxic imo.

FYI, it's prohibited to name-and-shame on these forums. But to give you guys some context - this guy is a regular ns2 veteran, playing regularly in gathers, with a hive score around 2500, more or less. He joins Woozas, the teams average hive score is 400 vs 700 with multiple people in rookie status. And he is toxic as fuck towards them.

I think this is just despicable behavior - a guy like this should quite frankly be shunned from the community imo. A bit of hostility in a game among veterans? I think that's ok. But when you have an average of 400 hive score, you give it a fucking rest... Why are you even playing on a server like that to begin with?

Anyway, now that this has been said. I can let you know, that this is not the typical ns2 player.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SantaClaws wrote: »

I recognize the 2nd situation you speak of, I was there - not as a player, it was full so I could only spectate. And I recognize the phrase "you'll lose without me" in particular as well.

The player in question, is well known in the community - and yes, he is extremely toxic imo.

FYI, it's prohibited to name-and-shame on these forums. But to give you guys some context - this guy is a regular ns2 veteran, playing regularly in gathers, with a hive score around 2500, more or less. He joins Woozas, the teams average hive score is 400 vs 700 with multiple people in rookie status. And he is toxic as fuck towards them.

I think this is just despicable behavior - a guy like this should quite frankly be shunned from the community imo. A bit of hostility in a game among veterans? I think that's ok. But when you have an average of 400 hive score, you give it a fucking rest... Why are you even playing on a server like that to begin with?

Anyway, now that this has been said. I can let you know, that this is not the typical ns2 player.

Does this guy happen to be british by any chance? I think I know who you mean lol
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Doubt it was British, probably french.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    SantaClaws wrote: »

Does this guy happen to be british by any chance? I think I know who you mean lol

I can neither deny or confirm this.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think more admins are taking note of his behavior (finally) and he's recently been banned across all accounts on my sever of choice.

But who will tell me what a "garbage bag" and lousy player I am now?! Hehe, I'm sure we all know who op is referring to.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Voice volume 0, unbind team & all chat keys.
    Welcome to public play.
  • friendlybusfriendlybus Join Date: 2005-02-10 Member: 40594Members
    Thanks for the warm welcomes :)

Been playing fairly regularly since the 6th. It's been good. Just had my first successful command on a small 4v4. Got my mic, had players tell me what they wanted. Rushed phase with ups then jp for the win.

Overall the experience is pretty tense and frustrating in an addictive kind of way. A couple difficulties are making it unpleasant as a newbie.

- The team balancing problems and sorting out games needs badly to be designed away. Wasting 15min in a waiting room or PGP waiting for teams to balance kills the flow. Kill the waiting room, just have people spawn into a random team until the server is full enough and start. Auto assign a comm if things take too long. This will force experienced players to take comm soon if they want a game and newbies to get experience if nobody cares.

- Routing is pretty difficult. Half my game is with c pressed at the moment whilst I learn the map areas. Having unique area names is making this take longer to learn. There could be some part of the map name that showed it's cardinal direction relative to the center of the map, e.g. you could know without thinking that [west]ore processing is on the left of the map.

I don't know why the in game comm view doesn't have the area names shown as text on the floor. The experienced guys all refer to places by name, so it can be pretty difficult to follow until you have all the maps memorized.

- The map UI doesn't have clear enough pings and blips. The map indicator for yourself needs to be instantly visible and the requests for ammo/hp need to be clear.

- The FPS portion of the game is pretty unsatisfying. Getting X kills only really delays expansion. Unless you snipe an Onos or grab a key power node, the RTS portion of the game wins matches. The combat is very spinny at times. Sometimes it's really unsatisfying to spin & jump trying to find that skulk at your knees (or marine around you) and die having done 10dmg to it.

The relief of a win feels good though. I think that's why I play. I'm going to jump back in after this.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Very good feedback from a rookie perspective.
    - The FPS portion of the game is pretty unsatisfying. Getting X kills only really delays expansion. Unless you snipe an Onos or grab a key power node, the RTS portion of the game wins matches.
    If I am reading this correctly, you find the FPS portion unsatisfying because it does not have enough effect on the match outcome?

The combat is very spinny at times. Sometimes it's really unsatisfying to spin & jump trying to find that skulk at your knees (or marine around you) and die having done 10dmg to it.
    Being a rookie I can understand that. It has been so long since I was a rookie in ns2 but I don't ever remember feeling that way even though I was terrible. At least for me, the combat is one of the best things about this game. Marine on skulk or skulk on marine is so much fun, especially in the first minute of the game. I enjoy lerking quite a lot too.
    I feel certain that with time you wont feel that way anymore as your skill starts to increase.

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Heh reminds me of well known dude, whose name started with b... and ended with ...ubbagumspark. (Loooong gone)
    That doesnt count right? :D
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Heh reminds me of well known dude, whose name started with b... and ended with ...ubbagumspark. (Loooong gone)
    That doesnt count right? :D

What do you know about shrimpin' :smiley:
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    First off: Nice that you found the way to the forums, it's all the time verry good to get feedback. I would like to give you some answers from my oppinion.
    - The team balancing problems and sorting out games needs badly to be designed away.
    Known problem, but to force someone to play commander is a bad idea. There are people who can't and who won't play commander. So it would just ruin everyones gaming experience. There are allready servers enforcing a gamestart when at least 1 commander is up, but this also can take 3 Restarts because the other team didn't had a com.
    - Routing is pretty difficult.
    A problem you will have on any RTS when you don't know the map. But even as a veteran and when you know the map you still need the C Key to know what's going on! C Key is almost youre best friend!
    - The map UI doesn't have clear enough pings and blips. The map indicator for yourself needs to be instantly visible and the requests for ammo/hp need to be clear.
    If you are talking about the commander view... Jeah ammo and medpackrequests are not shown, they are only audible. Visible are Marines in combat (blinking red). But to be honest, I don't think it makes sense to show requests on the map, because normally you need to be way faster. A lot of rookie coms don't know spacebar. Press it to answer Med and Ammorequest verry fast!
    - The FPS portion of the game is pretty unsatisfying. Getting X kills only really delays expansion.
    FPS and RTS are going hand in hand. When you loose an engagment you can loose a Ressourcetower or even more. And the reward should be that the enemy team get delayed in expansion and your team can direct the enemy. But for me, killing Lifeforms alone or even better with teamwork, is verry satisfying.

Just to keep in mind, something everybody (of us veterans) knows: This game has a verry steep learning curve, and there is a lot to learn. i takes you about 50-100hrs to know all basics and contexts of the game. But mostly it's learning by killing :p

Anyway I hope you have a lot of fun with the game and good luck!
  • SnXSnX Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180145Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Yep, this has to be the shrimp. I think he's called Dick Vader these days (new steam account also).
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    - Routing is pretty difficult. Half my game is with c pressed at the moment whilst I learn the map areas. Having unique area names is making this take longer to learn. There could be some part of the map name that showed it's cardinal direction relative to the center of the map, e.g. you could know without thinking that [west]ore processing is on the left of the map.

The really good players have the map open at all times unless they are in an engagement
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mephilles wrote: »

The really good players have the map open at all times unless they are in an engagement

They do that even though they have memorized the maps. It is because they can see other engagements and see where they need to be. A good player has C open most of the time just for situational awareness.

Whether that is a good mechanic or not is another question.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2015
    Mephilles wrote: »

And that's both a good thing and a bad thing in terms of YouTube/Twitch :tongue:

Good, we can see (as NS2 players) what's going on.
    Bad, as it really annoys non-NS2 players or casual players who want to see the action.

I could make a funny about this even, putting it on the "inspiration for typical NS2 stuff" list
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Anyone ever eat here? http://www.bubbagump.com/

I never will again.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    I just necroposted this thread. But welcome to NS2 anyway! :)
    You are becoming one of us!
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'm losing tolerance for being comm'd by people that do not have real world leadership experience, and by comms that let their marines order around other marines. Usually there's one reg that orders everyone around even though he's not a comm and then gets whiny when things don't work out. It's really predictable -.-.

First off, Welcome and You're awesome for sticking around!

Secondly, Yeah these players are often commanders who are either beaten to the chair, or they're players who get tired of ordering people to do something, only to have them fail because no one's quite skillful enough.

Referred to as Field Comms, most often we start this because the commander isn't commanding. He's RTSing well enough usually, but not organizing, etc.

Heirarchy of Command usually falls like so:
    Commander
    Field Commander (who has been consistently yelling loudest)
    Whoever else is yelling loudly atm

It's an imperfect system born of commanders who either have no mic, or don't have the focus of scope to look at both building path and organization.

All this to say: Don't hate too much on the Field Comms, many a game has been won because a field player stepped up and got his team to coordinate when the comm wasn't. At the same time, many a game has been lost when some field player thought they knew better than the Commander.

I'm thinking I'll make a video showcasing my commanding style, since I do it often and people tend to enjoy it (also: it works).
  • Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    I would make armor for both races visible by some kind of change of player model and same with other upgrades. It's not clear how many times you have to shoot/bite someone in the face before they're going down. I've found a constant in-the-dark kind of feeling towards the combat that could be decloaked.

Anyway 'bout to hop in for more. :)

There you go GOOD Feedback right there get to modeling and give us easy to identify plates or idk.

Me9a wrote: »
    I would make armor for both races visible by some kind of change of player model and same with other upgrades. It's not clear how many times you have to shoot/bite someone in the face before they're going down. I've found a constant in-the-dark kind of feeling towards the combat that could be decloaked.

Anyway 'bout to hop in for more. :)

There you go GOOD Feedback right there get to modeling and give us easy to identify plates or idk.

I made a comment about this to the CDT awhile back, giving some visual indication to what upgrades / level of upgrade that has been selected, it's easier said than done apparently.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @friendlybus time for competitive then... though unless you have your team rly well under control there will always be a field comm aswell. But usually with a team you talk outside of games to make sure who does calls anyway

In gathers it is a different topic though^^
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    edited February 2016
    And see? It rewards to stay @friendlybus ! And That is basicly my story just that i don't have real life commanding experience.... I Joined this game about a week before you and now im a grumpy forum hussy...
    (@Yojimbo) you Are a real forum hussy arn't you @Lussebull
    ah ol' times ol' times
  • OldBuzzOldBuzz Join Date: 2005-01-28 Member: 38778Members, Constellation
    just back after around 5 years need to try how to play, can't believe I joined way back in 2005