I Killed my Cyclops Sub

MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
I was cruising around in my Cyclops at 300m (it has four hull upgrades allowing it to descend to a maximum of 1000m) when, without thinking, I removed the 4 hull upgrades in order to see if I could put something else in there. Moments later as I wandered off toward the 'bridge' the alarms started sounding off and leaks sprung everywhere. I didn't have time to run back to replace the upgrades and so I tried to drive the Cyclops and surface it. I then ran out of power and everything when dark. The Cyclops started to sink. I rushed back to the upgrades console but by then the Cyclops had filled with water and was resting upside down on the sea bed, 300m down and about 50ft from a void drop. I was hoping that once I replaced the upgrades to the hull depth and replaced a power cell, I'd be able to repair the breaches, drain the water and recover the Cyclops. Unfortunately I was wrong. The sub is now full of water and it seems I cannot repair the breaches with the welding gun whilst the breaches are underwater. So now the Cyclops is, effectively dead. :tired_face:

I'm going to have to build a new one and take it down to the dead one and empty the 6 large storage cupboards I have and transfer all the contents to the new Cyclops. I can still hear the klaxon blaring away so I'll probably use the new Cyclops to nudge the dead one over the void edge and allow it to sink forever.

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    KK, I have created a new Cyclops, moved everything from the dead one to the new one, and then I tried nudging the dead Cyclops over the void cliff top with the new Cyclops. The dead Cyclops wouldn't move at all.

Does anybody know how I can destroy the old Cyclops?

Thanks.
  • Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
    You can't, unfortunately.
    I thought I would try and use floaters to raise the sub. It kind of worked but it took 64 floaters to raise it from 300m to 60m; it wouldn't rise any higher than that. Funny how, when you're cruising along in your Cyclops it just takes one floater to prevent it from descending, but when it's sunk not even 64 floaters would raise it all the way to the surface >.<
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    This, my friend, is yet another reason that I say we need cannons.
  • AquatarkusAquatarkus RI-USA Join Date: 2015-08-02 Member: 206674Members
    A ways back, I was going to suggest a self-destruct be added for just that single purpose.
    ...ditching a cyclops. :smile:

Maybe the devs will add a deconstruct to the builder for it some day
  • Dragonpoo7Dragonpoo7 USA Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208135Members
    We should be aloud to deconstruct our cyclops and seamoths with the builder. Or better yet, this takes place in the future. Why not have a wrist com or something we can use to remote pilot, or set off the self destruct signal. That would be nice and save us all some trouble. I had a reaver leviathan attack my seamoth and take it into the ground. I am stuck with a marker for it unless i start a new game.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    What I don't get is : why can't you weld the submarine? I reproduced your scenario and yea.. it's pretty infuriating that I have the ability to repair it but it will not let me.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    What I don't get is : why can't you weld the submarine? I reproduced your scenario and yea.. it's pretty infuriating that I have the ability to repair it but it will not let me.

Yes. When I managed to get the Cyclops to rise to 60m using the floaters, albeit for only a short time, I noted a couple of the breaches were no longer under water as some of the water seemed to shift or drain. Unfortunately these breaches now above the waterline still could not be repaired using the welder :disappointed:
  • NaaliNaali U.S. Join Date: 2015-08-23 Member: 207397Members
    I broke one too. When I was done with it I just let it remain in the black 4km depths. If you want to move it you can try removing stuff around it with the teraformer or the dig command, then just re-fill in the spot you dug out to give it a proper burial.
  • Subnautical_DamSubnautical_Dam Canada Join Date: 2017-02-16 Member: 227961Members
    mine cant be moved or repaired and floaters wont help cause im in the lava zone
    can you turn off the buzzing?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members

Buzzing? What buzzing?

Also, are you sure it's not just out of power? Lava larvae can drain the power cells on a Cyclops in no time if there are enough of them.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited March 2017

ygslt5oo94fk.png

It's currently 2 AM and my necro posting senses were tingling, this picture accurately represents what I look like.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    NECROPOSTING, ARMY ASSEMBLE
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Now wait a minute, before we break out the holy water, Dam did a search through the forum, found a thread on the subject at hand, and posted in it rather than creating a new one. Necroposting, maybe, but his/her heart was in the right place. :)
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Now wait a minute, before we break out the holy water, Dam did a search through the forum, found a thread on the subject at hand, and posted in it rather than creating a new one. Necroposting, maybe, but his/her heart was in the right place. :)

Yeah, but he ate his own brain...

gallery_1939_160_51377.jpg

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited March 2017
    Myrm wrote: »
    Funny how, when you're cruising along in your Cyclops it just takes one floater to prevent it from descending, but when it's sunk not even 64 floaters would raise it all the way to the surface >.<

That's cause it's full of water now, not air. If a submarine has balance in its .. I forget the correct term, {EDIT: buoyancy} but its 'weight' under the water due to the amount of ballast it's carrying, it effectively weighs zero, and any change plus or minus, will affect it (but this can be countered using the diving planes in modern subs, sometimes they run trimmed up or down, and "fly" through the water).

Not sure if all of that is technically correct, but AFAIK the basic idea is valid.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Not sure if all of that is technically correct, but AFAIK the basic idea is valid.

Pretty much all right. :) Modern subs actually don't do a lot of messing with buoyancy for ascent and descent; they use the diving planes like wings and fly, just like you said. When changing depth, most of the time they drive to the new depth using a combination of diving planes and propulsion. It's why losing propulsion on a sub is such a crisis; if it happens under the wrong conditions - like if you're weighed down by shipped water - you could well be screwed. The only time they do big changes with raw buoyancy is to get to the surface double-quick, and despite how it looks on film, it ain't fun. (Well, I'm sure it is for somebody. There's weird people out there.) The catch is that the buoyancy tanks can only offset so much mass - the mass of the sub plus an X-factor that the Navy doesn't like publishing. If the amount of water aboard exceeds X, you better have propulsion ready to push your weighty butt back to the surface, or you're not seeing it again.
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    edited March 2017
    I have said this before and maybe now that the cyclops is getting some loving in the next updates we might see it ( probably not though ), but it should either come equipped with or we should be able to equip it with emergency air ballists. We run into an issue where we're sinking or out of juice.. we can just flick the switch and up we go. Now obviously that again is "use at your own risk" if your in the lost river or below you wouldnt rise to to the surface but atleast the cyclops wouldn't roll..