What a lot of people are forgetting...

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2015
    @04Leonhardt

Violence - Excessive or indiscriminate use of force or power

Are any of the animals using Excessive or Indiscriminate force? No

What are the animals doing?
    Defending their territory
    Hunting for food

Is Defending your territory violence? No, it is a part of survival.
    Is hunting for food violence? No, it is a part of survival.

When defending your territory or self by deterring creatures, is that violence? No, it is a part of survival.
    When you catch and eat a fish, is that violence? No, it is a part of survival.

So far, we have described a Survival game, not violence.

When you add the ability for someone to use excessive or indiscriminate force or power, you add the ability for someone to be violent.

Subnautica adds many weapons to the game. They are tuned to not allow people to be violent with them. If you still cannot understand this, speak to someone who can clear this up in your head.

Alternatively, may I suggest you don't buy games where you disagree with the CORE FUNDAMENTAL DESIGN PRINCIPLES.

Otherwise you may find you do not enjoy the game.

• ZundyZundy UK Join Date: 2015-03-26 Member: 202589Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @04Leonhardt

Violence - Excessive or indiscriminate use of force or power.

Not the accepted definition of violence at all. Animals can be violent.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited October 2015
    Are any of the animals using Excessive ... force? No

Personally I would consider the fact that the force these creatures (sharks, biters etc) use ends up killing you is certainly classed as excessive force.
  • ArbinatorArbinator antarctica Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207851Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @04Leonhardt

Are any of the animals using Excessive or Indiscriminate force? No

What are the animals doing?
    Defending their territory
    Hunting for food

Is Defending your territory violence? No, it is a part of survival.
    Is hunting for food violence? No, it is a part of survival.

When defending your territory or self by deterring creatures, is that violence? No, it is a part of survival.
    When you catch and eat a fish, is that violence? No, it is a part of survival.

So far, we have described a Survival game, not violence.

When you add the ability for someone to use excessive or indiscriminate force or power, you add the ability for someone to be violent.

You're treading a very thin line at this point, and your argument can go in either direction. Sure, the animals are being defensive and just trying to survive, but so are you in attacking hostile creatures. You're defending yourself and working towards your own continued survival. Yes, adding weapons can allow people to go on unprovoked killing sprees, but it also adds the ability for a person to better defend yourself in a dangerous situation. If you were to be placed in the middle of the woods with bears and snakes out and about, I bet you'd want some kind of weapon to defend yourself as well. It all falls upon the person's current intent, not what they could possibly intend. The best option is to meet in the middle and add in some kind of lethal weapon, but make it so it uses charges really quickly. That way you could easily defend yourself, but it would discourage the whole murder spree thing by making it a total waste of resources to kill without discrimination.

Yes it's a survival game, not an action game, but survival doesn't involve just running for dear life.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    lol this thread still going?
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited October 2015
    When i first started playing Subnautica i was swimming around the safe shallows and it was peaceful but when things started chasing and eating me i felt poorly equipped and realized death was lying in wait around every corner! I was like "i need a undersea shotgun and rpg...NOW. A perimeter defense system and nuclear tipped rods from god!" but after i had just finished a 100+ cut vivisection on a reaper it occurred to me i didn't NEED all those weapon systems. In fact i began to like the knife >:D and now i don't leave base without a couple of knives, just in case someone's dying for some unnecessary surgery.

I did enjoy spider/crab island btw.

P.S. please increase the knives length (it's too hard to reach vital internal organs with the letter opener we have now). Also add a blood groove and tanto point. This would allow me to perform science with greater efficiency.
  • akatoadakatoad USA Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207858Members
    TERRAFORMING. One might assume with with the Terraformer tool, which can make islands and other landmasses, that when the planet is terraformed for colonists, there will be continents for people to live upon. They won't be living under the sea unless you think that gills will be a standard feature for humans. Assuming that the Aurora wasn't supposed to crash, it probably had large-scale terraformers that could make giant landmasses from orbit, limiting the need for underwater operations.

So they go to an ocean planet, with absolutely 0 intent to actually go underwater.
    These mental gymnastics you're doing are getting ridiculous.

2cough wrote: »

I always lol when people bring up what Charlie said about the game being "non-violent" several months ago.

Then I just remind them of the COMPLETELY INSANE amount of hostile creatures EVERYWHERE outside the Safe Shallows, and the dev's plans to add EVEN MORE.

So yeah, I don't think Charlie is exactly in control of development, and his opinion isn't exactly the end all be all of discussion, considering that the game's development has taken a sharp turn from his "Peaceful underwater adventure" idea.

And I should remind everyone, that none of us are going to stop playing the game because they don't add a harpoon. We're simply discussing why literally everything we're presented with in the game implies that we SHOULD have some form of weapon, despite the game's "Peaceful" "Non-violent" gimmick.

People need to stop pretending that making a game "non-violent" is some revolutionary amazing progressive enlightened thing.

The latest bioshock was the worst one. 2 was the best.
  • akatoadakatoad USA Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207858Members
    Lmfao I'm not assuming that because there are enemies that I need to kill them.
    And again with the "OMG U WANT A WEAPON SO U CAN KILL EVERYTHING!!!!!" strawman.
    Can we just not, for once, resort to this stupidity?

I'm "assuming" that a game quoted as being "Peaceful" and "Non-violent" should have far, FAR less violent creatures. The current state of the game is the direct opposite of the touted "Peaceful good! Violence bad!" gimmick they're going with.

And do you even know the definition of "gimmick"?
    gim·mick
    ˈɡimik/
    noun
    noun: gimmick; plural noun: gimmicks

a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

That's the actual definition. Exactly what the choice to make the game "non violent" is.

I don't need to kill them, but that doesn't stop me from using the terraformer to trap a reaper and using several knives to kill it.
  • blurbrerrrblurbrerrr Join Date: 2015-10-03 Member: 208281Members
    why not just have way more defensive creatures and plants like mesmers EX spike plant attacking you if you invade a certain cave, and just make it that the certain cave you wanna go to has alot more loot in it than just picking stuff up where animals and plants dont inhabit.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    blurbrerrr wrote: »
    why not just have way more defensive creatures and plants like mesmers EX spike plant attacking you if you invade a certain cave, and just make it that the certain cave you wanna go to has alot more loot in it than just picking stuff up where animals and plants dont inhabit.

More defensive creatures would be fantastic
    Specifically ones that are ambivalent towards the player, but openly attack things they recognize as threats.

So, for instance, you find a big bunch of friendly striker anemones that keep predators away, and build the entrance to your base in the middle of them.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    Tysohal wrote: »
    @Wratts: Stay! Maybe you are onto something. One possibility: society has developed similiar to that of Star Trek and everyone is now a tea drinking pacifist who has to throw up if he ever thinks about messing with an ecosystem or an existing society. ;)

The folks in Star Trek still had phasers and ray guns to defend themselves though.

Which nine out of ten times where used NOT to kill but to disable and/or get into or out of places. Non-lethal approaches. Seriously, outside of ship combat look up the number of times for the WHOLE series in which phasers killed people and it will be like something less then 30 in a 15+ year franchise. Even with the new movies.

Also, I pointed out already that the stasis rifle is pretty much your harpoon gun. We already have torpedoes and active area defense....what other weapons do we need?
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    TerraBlade wrote: »
    Also, I pointed out already that the stasis rifle is pretty much your harpoon gun. We already have torpedoes and active area defense....what other weapons do we need?

An actual harpoon gun c:
    Harpoon seems too hard to get off a good volley though, and way too contemporary. I'm sure we could do better. I wonder if its possible to mod the stasis rifle to inflict more science.
    edited October 2015

An actual harpoon gun c:
    As I already pointed out the stasis gun is just a high tech harpoon gun, and that having one that threw spears would actually be not only redundant but would give less options overall. The stasis rifle right out of the box does more then a harpoon gun ever could without having to spend resources each and every time you wanted to throw bolt out. Why would you want a gun that cost you titanium and whatever else to make bolts that took up inventory (on top of the gun itself) when you can have a stasis rifle that does the same functions, has infinite ammo, and frees up inventory for more gathering/supplies?

You would have more luck asking for an upgrade that when the bubble ends that the trapped target flees, or just outright shocks/cooks it's trapped victim. But as it stands you are asking for something that is not only outright redundant but inferior to something already present in the game.
    Harpoon seems too hard to get off a good volley though, and way too contemporary. I'm sure we could do better. I wonder if its possible to mod the stasis rifle to inflict more science.
    Hmm, a stasis rifle that maybe phases it's target so you could swim through (or it swims through you) could be interesting. Maybe one that teleports it's victim. Shocking it's target like an area denial system seems obvious. There are many options for upgrade possibilities.

Personally I like the phasing option, as you could potentially use it against obstacles that can't be moved by the repulsion cannon. Maybe things like doors on the Aurora that get stuck.
    edited October 2015
    I really don't need to explain, again, how wildly, fundamentally different my suggestion of a harpoon gun is from the currently implemented stasis rifle for you, do I?

The obvious answer would be to simply invert the properties of the Stasis Rifle.
    instead of inflicting stasis on its target, it should inflict flux.
    It should scramble the atoms in the target area.

Now, I have only a minute understanding of atomic science, so I haven't the slightest idea of what jumbling the atoms in a circular area full of seawater, sand, and bone shark would do, but I'm pretty damn sure it's monumentally more violent and gruesome than a simple harpoon.
    edited October 2015
    I really don't need to explain, again, how wildly, fundamentally different my suggestion of a harpoon gun is from the currently implemented stasis rifle for you, do I?

The obvious answer would be to simply invert the properties of the Stasis Rifle.
    instead of inflicting stasis on its target, it should inflict flux.
    It should scramble the atoms in the target area.

Now, I have only a minute understanding of atomic science, so I haven't the slightest idea of what jumbling the atoms in a circular area full of seawater, sand, and bone shark would do, but I'm pretty damn sure it's monumentally more violent and gruesome than a simple harpoon.

Essentially it would be a disintegration effect. Assuming you are not actually destroying or colliding atoms (which then would be nuclear explosions) you would be scrambling the target AND the sea water caught in the bubble. Since there are more water molecules in compared to the flesh of the target, with some variance due to depth, you essentially would end up with a bunch of red stained water at best where the flux took place. If you are curious you could see the same effect by dropping a frozen food colored ice cube in a fish bowl. Slow, but the same end result.

Question is...why would you want this? While yes currently you can't get anything directly from the bigger predators, I can easily see using the stasis rifle to get a stalker tooth without waiting for it to pick up some metal first. But something like a flux cannon that scrambled the target to soup...you don't get anything. How does that help?
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    Just pointing this out: if developers added some upgrades for the stasis rifle like to reduce the charge time or extend the duration of the field any need for lethal weapons would be eliminated.

In facts i already proposed these:

An upgrade to reduce/eliminate the charge time on the rifle (you could call it quantum charger "it recharges the device before its even used")

And an upgrade to create more durable/permanent fields (you could call it field extender/permafield)

That would make the stasis rifle we have already as good as a lethal weapon only better.
  • Storesund98Storesund98 USA Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205963Members
    The game is designed to make you look for DIFFERENT ways to solve this problem.
    edited October 2015
    The game is designed to make you look for DIFFERENT ways to solve this problem.

I took your advice and through experimenting learned we can kill sharks by ramming them with a seamoth! xD
    Silver lining, I get more use out of my welder now, and those seamoth armor upgrades suddenly seem useful.
    edited October 2015
    Just pointing this out: if developers added some upgrades for the stasis rifle like to reduce the charge time or extend the duration of the field any need for lethal weapons would be eliminated.

Except that no, it wouldn't. c:
    Question is...why would you want this?
    I don't want this. I want a harpoon gun.

• IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    um.. but it's a terraforming mission from a human civilization that can travel outside of Sol. Gotta remember at that level of civilization and technological advancement you can make all life on a planet extinct and destroy the land. Only to rebuild it all, because your technology is simply put that good.
    There for it's pointless to bother with caring about nature because you can improve the animal life, you can alter the atmosphere itself, and you can reform the land around you. I mean think about it why keep nature the way it is if you can remake it as something better and more suited to your needs. We only try to work with nature because we aren't advanced enough to fully outmatch it. But this human civilization it clearly can because when you can travel to other stars with the intent on terraforming a planet and living there, you're not expecting centuries of work you're expecting to be done pretty soon.
    Dude this is like, the very very basic level of Terra forming. We don't have the powers of a God. Most we were gonna be able to do is create artificial islands, relocate fauna, etc.
  • Warpig1331Warpig1331 Ohio Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207951Members
    At the risk of being off-topic: How did this get to 6 pages of this argument?

It's as easy as; some feel there should be more weapons and others like the more peaceful approach. I mean it has gotten to the point where you are arguing about 'what the fish is thinking' trying to get your point a crossed. Really guys?
    I think it's beautiful.
    Most threads on this section of the forums don't go past a single page unless they're a sticky.
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    Warpig1331 wrote: »

It's as easy as; some feel there should be more weapons and others like the more peaceful approach. I mean it has gotten to the point where you are arguing about 'what the fish is thinking' trying to get your point a crossed. Really guys?

Why can't we have it both ways thus if your like you you can dominate nature and remake the world around you. Or if your a hippie you can grow gils and swim with the fishes and eat leaves.
    Warpig1331 wrote: »

Actually anymore I'm arguing that the needs have already been met in terms of weapons. The Stasis rifle is a harpoon gun, we have torpedos, active defense on the seamoth, and a repulsion gun....and a knife. At this point my only stance the whole debate is that any other weapons are pretty much redundent and/or inferior. Such as a harpoon gun, why have something you need to keep feeding resources into when you already have a gun that does the same things and more with infinite ammo?

At this point the only way the conversation can move forward, in my opinion, is if any further talk of weapons covers something the others don't/can't cover. Such as if a harpoon gun is needed it needs to have a clear distinction from the stasis rifle, and not just because it kills things.
    edited October 2015
    why have something you need to keep feeding resources into when you already have a gun that does the same things and more with infinite ammo?
    Oh so you don't actually read my posts, you just see "Speargun" and say "LOL NO WE HAVE STASIS RIFLE GTFO STUPID"

Cool. I'll just disregard your posts from now on.

Also
    >"Does the same things and more"
    >Literally only freezes things
    Lmfao

edited October 2015
    why have something you need to keep feeding resources into when you already have a gun that does the same things and more with infinite ammo?
    Oh so you don't actually read my posts, you just see "Speargun" and say "LOL NO WE HAVE STASIS RIFLE GTFO STUPID"

Cool. I'll just disregard your posts from now on.

Also
    >"Does the same things and more"
    >Literally only freezes things
    Lmfao

Ok no I didn't see that post, but now that I did I see several critical flaws.

1. You have this being found in the Aurora....when by then we most likely have the stasis rifle and probably charge fins...so why on earth would a gun that doesn't even kill a bone shark in one hit be useful? In fact your scenario seems to make it pissed off more and attack even more aggressively....that isn't a good defensive measure in my book. But even more jarring is that going from a high tech stasis rifle to a low tech harpoon gun...that feels like going backwards in progression not forwards.

2. Each spear would take 2 inventory slots? Again this in comparison to the stasis rifle that only takes four but can have infinite ammo and the ability to create bubbles that can catch targets that weren't even directly fired at. All the while leaving plenty of free space for supplies/gathered resources. Considering we only have 48 inventory slots this isn't a small issue. Assuming four slots for the gun that would leave space for a maximum of 22 shots (44 slots/2 per spear=22 shots). That isn't accounting for oxygen tanks or other tools, which would mean even less space/shots. So infinite shots vs significantly less then infinite shots would be the choice a player would have at this point. Pretty sure most are going to take the option that allows significantly more shots.

3. Again, while the stasis rifle won't kill a target at least it at least won't make it go super aggressive on you. So by your example I could shoot the boneshark with a harpoon gun and make it even more dangerous or I could shoot it with a stasis rifle and just swim away, grab what I need to, or just cut it with a knife if I just need to kill the shark. All in relative safety. At this point I'm scratching my head wondering how this harpoon gun is anything but schmuck bait. Especially considering a singly bubble can catch multiple bone sharks but your harpoon gun would not only fail to deal with multiple threats but make said threats WORSE.

4.The stasis rifle is already a ranged deterrent, has plenty of ammo, allows hunting as well as defense, and pretty much does everything your harpoon gun would without making the situation worse. Your utility spears don't make up for the simple fact that they would take up a lot of space for not much return. Yes it would be handy to have a clear bead on that reaper, but that means you have to get out of the sub with a reaper nearby to tag it before quickly getting back in the sub. Alternatively you could just zap the reaper with either the seamoth or the stasis rifle and do your business quickly before it came back.

The net bolt is pretty much the same thing as the stasis rifle's standard shot without having to make special ammo, and the flare gun could easily be done with the stasis rifle by giving the stasis rifle bubbles a glow (which they really should have for aesthetics if nothing else). The only decent idea is the harpoon bolt, but a grappling hook tool was already stated to be in the works by the devs as something they want to do. So again...redundant.

Now as for the utility uses of the stasis rifle as is:
    1. Can freeze any predator in it's tracks...ANY predator.
    2. Can handle/control multiple predators at the same time.
    3. Makes hunting for food and bladder fish a breeze, and allows capture or cooking of prey
    4. Can create instant bubbles of safety as anything trying to enter gets frozen (handy against cave spiders).
    5. Makes getting resources out of nodes on walls and ceilings easier, as a bubble keeps them from flying away upon node destruction
    6. [bugged] Freezing a stalker allows you to swim up and pluck it's tooth
    7. Gives plenty of time to respond to threats when they are trapped in bubbles, allows either retreat or attack with almost absolute safety.
    8. Can freeze a sinking Cyclops which gives time to repair.

All that with one stasis rifle...a harpoon gun isn't going to compare.
    And here we go again with you completely ignoring everything about my post but the word "Speargun".

Tell me how the Stasis rifle can act as a long range flare, or a way to track creatures, or a means of providing emergency power to a vehicle, or how it's able to kill a creature from a distance.

I'll just sit here and wait while you write up another "NO WE HAVE STASIS RIFLE STUPID GTFO" post without actually reading anything.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @04Leonhardt

Just watching all this from the sidelines, you look incapable of having a discussion when you consistently put overreacting words in people's mouths in order to mock and discredit them.
    Which is interesting because you not only have decent ideas with which to provide to drive a discussion forward, but you also accuse others of not reading your posts, while you seemingly don't seem to read theirs (or cherry pick).

He took the time to make a thorough response to you and clearly stated that any of your creative proposals could be done with the stasis rifle or upgrades for it, and highlighted some of the redundant aspects.
    Instead of coming back with a counter argument you sadly recoiled back to your default attacking of the character : "NO WE HAVE STASIS RIFLE STUPID GTFO".

Come on. Stop propping up a boogeyman that isn't there.
    You are more than capable of having an actual discussion instead of immature responses like these.