What a lot of people are forgetting...

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    We already have a thread for this.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Seldkam wrote: »
    Leon, why not JUST have the creepvine net ? That is a fantastic idea and honestly sums up the non lethal people's argument quite nicely barring biased trolls xP

Because I like a tool that can do multiple things. Which is why I generally prefer the Propulsion Cannon over the Stasis Rifle. You can pick up things, use it to gather resources in a dangerous spot, like near lava, you can also shoot those things, to move them out of the way, or to smack fish with other fish. Or you can turn it into the Repulsion Cannon, which is like a blunderbuss that can blast away anything but Reefbacks and Reapers.

A Speargun could shoot spears, it could shoot flares, nets, creature tags, it could work as a tazer which would double as a way to provide emergency charge to vehicles without replacing power cells.

Like my Omni-Torpedo idea (That the one of the devs actually liked), the basic premise is a delivery system for various utilities.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Leon, why not JUST have the creepvine net ? That is a fantastic idea and honestly sums up the non lethal people's argument quite nicely barring biased trolls xP

Because I like a tool that can do multiple things. Which is why I generally prefer the Propulsion Cannon over the Stasis Rifle. You can pick up things, use it to gather resources in a dangerous spot, like near lava, you can also shoot those things, to move them out of the way, or to smack fish with other fish. Or you can turn it into the Repulsion Cannon, which is like a blunderbuss that can blast away anything but Reefbacks and Reapers.

A Speargun could shoot spears, it could shoot flares, nets, creature tags, it could work as a tazer which would double as a way to provide emergency charge to vehicles without replacing power cells.

Like my Omni-Torpedo idea (That the one of the devs actually liked), the basic premise is a delivery system for various utilities.

Ok let me clarify: Why do you need the "spear" for it :P
    edited October 2015

Ok let me clarify: Why do you need the "spear" for it :P

Essentially a handheld version of the Seamoth Electrical Defense. For warding off creatures so you don;t have to get within face chomping distance with the knife.
    It's more difficult and costs physical resources to use, but that's the trade off for portability and a longer firing range. Rather than being able to drive a sub into the middle of a cloud of fish and set off a lightning bomb, you have to pick each target specifically, hit it, and reload in time to keep hitting it till it swims off.

The "Enraged predator = More aggressive attacking" mechanic is also something I'd really like to see. You'd need at least 2 spears to get a Bone Shark to flee, and 3 Spears to get a Sand Shark to run away. Reaper Leviathan takes 12 direct hits before it leaves you alone, making it Dark Souls hard to try to use against them, considering they get pissed off after 1 hit.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Clearly you have ideas that could be applicable to SN, (because they aren't necessarily lethal.) and I rather like them - I don't think anyone would have a problem with any of those.
    Those upgrades or utilities are all so creative and useful that they make the "shoots spears" option dull and boring, and almost seemingly unnecessary as @Seldkam pointed out.

That being said, I personally would not mind if there was a single weapon like a spear that had very limited and costly ammunition, especially if all it does is temporarily ward away the medium sized lifeforms.
    Could assist in gating off certain parts of the world for progression reasons, by utilizing denser creature populations that require warding off one or two in order to pass.

edited October 2015
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Clearly you have ideas that could be applicable to SN, (because they aren't necessarily lethal.) and I rather like them - I don't think anyone would have a problem with any of those.
    Those upgrades or utilities are all so creative and useful that they make the "shoots spears" option dull and boring, and almost seemingly unnecessary as @Seldkam pointed out.

That being said, I personally would not mind if there was a single weapon like a spear that had very limited and costly ammunition, especially if all it does is temporarily ward away the medium sized lifeforms.
    Could assist in gating off certain parts of the world for progression reasons, by utilizing denser creature populations that require warding off one or two in order to pass.

Though, I should say, like the Seamoth Lightning Cannon, it can kill creatures if you're persistent enough and have enough spears. You'd have to really want that critter dead, though. And be able to chase it down after it hauls ass away. And be able to take out its friends, or any predators that smell the fresh kill.

Maybe killing or wounding something in a certain biome would attract a much larger predator, similar to the Alien games y'all were talking about. It'd go after the hurt critter, putting it near you in the danger zone.

Could also introduce mechanics of creature packs, like if you wound a Stalker near other Stalkers, it would flee, and they'd all Rally to its aid and attack you all at once. Or if you attack a baby critter its mama would become Enraged and attack you ferociously.

Speaking of killing babies, I wanna see a baby Reaper Leviathan. Could be the cutest, yet most horrible things on the planet. Wouldn't kill you in 1 chomp like it's parents, but would cry and summon an Enraged Mama if you hurt it.
  • VariellaVariella California Join Date: 2015-09-29 Member: 208219Members
    edited October 2015
    [...]I wanna see a baby Reaper Leviathan. Could be the cutest, yet most horrible things on the planet. Wouldn't kill you in 1 chomp like it's parents, but would cry and summon an Enraged Mama if you hurt it.

Oh god. If this becomes a thing I know I'm going to accidentally hurt a baby Reaper Leviathan somehow, and then I'm gunna get rekt.

Or worse, what if it's just like in real life where parent animals maul you to death simply because you are within a certain proximity to their offspring? I have a habit of being a bit derpy in games, so I know I'd be flapping into dangerous personal space bubbles without knowing it. Man, that would be so much fun. Especially if the babies have different cries. Can you imagine hearing a baby Reaper Leviathan nearby and going 'O______________O crap where's mom, crap where's mom, crap where's mom D:.....she's behind me, isn't she? FUUUUUUU--' the proceeding to flail away to the nearest safe place as quickly as possible with a very angry mother on your butt.

Also liked the other ideas in the quoted post. I'm sure no one cared to read my boring paragraphs of ideas earlier in the thread, but it was along the same lines. :D looks like quite a few Subnautica players would like to see the game go in a similar direction.

Though, I should say, like the Seamoth Lightning Cannon, it can kill creatures if you're persistent enough and have enough spears. You'd have to really want that critter dead, though. And be able to chase it down after it hauls ass away. And be able to take out its friends, or any predators that smell the fresh kill.

Maybe killing or wounding something in a certain biome would attract a much larger predator, similar to the Alien games y'all were talking about. It'd go after the hurt critter, putting it near you in the danger zone.

Could also introduce mechanics of creature packs, like if you wound a Stalker near other Stalkers, it would flee, and they'd all Rally to its aid and attack you all at once. Or if you attack a baby critter its mama would become Enraged and attack you ferociously.

Speaking of killing babies, I wanna see a baby Reaper Leviathan. Could be the cutest, yet most horrible things on the planet. Wouldn't kill you in 1 chomp like it's parents, but would cry and summon an Enraged Mama if you hurt it.

That's my point in a nutshell: if the lethal spear itself isn't even that lethal... why not just, well, stay true to what the devs are doing so far? I.e., make the creepvine net have as much range as a spear, and voila, you have your long range defense mechanism, without the need of something that actually kills stuff. The net will do essentially the same thing, since you can move the creature where you want, leave if you want, etc. etc.

I won't get into what usually stumps every single lethal argument I've ever seen because it's ignored :P but I think that should give you an idea :)

That's what a vast amount of anti-lethal people have been trying to say, and yet screaming at each other too much to get around to it ;)
  • ArbinatorArbinator antarctica Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207851Members
    I don't know how late I am to this discussion, but i'm just gonna say this. It's hard to dissect creatures that are still alive. :^)
    Arbinator wrote: »
    I don't know how late I am to this discussion, but i'm just gonna say this. It's hard to dissect creatures that are still alive. :^)

Who is dissecting them? If anything you want them alive to bring them to your lab or aquarium... THAT is where you'd want them to be for further study. This game isn't about "dissection" it's about DNA analysis, behavior analysis through actual gameplay mechanics (Stalker --> Peeper syndrome)
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    Yes, let's tame the Emperor so we can ride him like in Ark. ;)

Who is dissecting them? If anything you want them alive to bring them to your lab or aquarium... THAT is where you'd want them to be for further study. This game isn't about "dissection" it's about DNA analysis, behavior analysis through actual gameplay mechanics (Stalker --> Peeper syndrome)

WE are dissecting them. You can't really learn much about the inner machinations of a creature without splitting it open and poking around at its insides. A normal person wouldn't be able to look at a starfish and figure out how it moves without dissecting it. DNA analysis can only go so far, and besides, who said the game wasn't about dissection? If the game is supposed to have more science elements to it, don't try and take the "bio" out of "biology".

WE are dissecting them. You can't really learn much about the inner machinations of a creature without splitting it open and poking around at its insides. A normal person wouldn't be able to look at a starfish and figure out how it moves without dissecting it. DNA analysis can only go so far, and besides, who said the game wasn't about dissection? If the game is supposed to have more science elements to it, don't try and take the "bio" out of "biology".

Fact is, we don't know if dissection is being implemented or in the cards. Myself, I doubt it just because it would be a lot of work if done properly for something that is really quite a small feature in comparison to others.

It, at least in my view, is highly unlikely for a lot of reasons. (In fact, I think the "DNA analysis" is exactly the replacement for dissection)

Whoops, I'm good at derailing topics :D
    edited October 2015

That's my point in a nutshell: if the lethal spear itself isn't even that lethal...

But, it is lethal. It's just not a "OCEANS OF BLOOOOOOOOOOOOD [Death Metal Guitar Solo]" kind of lethal.

You're not gonna go around murdering everything with one shot unless it's like, a Peeper. But that'd be a waste of the spear.

You could have a chance to retrieve spears after the creature is dead, but they'd have an equal chance of breaking when you try to take them.
  • snailposnailpo united states Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208252Members
    I think that it gives you a choice of being a scientist or a shooty person. after all, you do have to discover how to make the stuff with fragments
    edited October 2015

That's my point in a nutshell: if the lethal spear itself isn't even that lethal...

But, it is lethal. It's just not a "OCEANS OF BLOOOOOOOOOOOOD [Death Metal Guitar Solo]" kind of lethal.

You're not gonna go around murdering everything with one shot unless it's like, a Peeper. But that'd be a waste of the spear.

You could have a chance to retrieve spears after the creature is dead, but they'd have an equal chance of breaking when you try to take them.

Meh argument since you didn't reply to my entire post, specifically the important parts

Good day sir :)
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members

We are in the future, we got 3D printers capable of replicating anything including subs, terraforming ships, terraforming tools...i think we got the tech needed to study creatures without dissecting them...

Meh argument since you didn't reply to my entire post, specifically the important parts

Good day sir :)

I addressed the part that was relevant to our discussion. Sorry it didn't go your way.

We are in the future, we got 3D printers capable of replicating anything including subs, terraforming ships, terraforming tools...i think we got the tech needed to study creatures without dissecting them...

Sure, we're in the super future and all, but any way of trying to inspect the innards of these creature would result in its death, or at least mutilation. No amount of xrays or whatever the hell they would be using at that point in time would be able to accurately observe the animal's inner workings. Using radioactive isotopes attached to proteins would work, but that would take a stupidly high amount and would probably give the creature radiation poisoning, and nanobots could probably work as well, but we don't know how the immune system of these things work, so it could be possible that foreign bodies within the bloodstream could cause some sort of catastrophic organ failure in the animal that you're studying.

Besides, if UWE were to add in some sort of dissection mechanic, they'd definitely leave the more visceral stuff out.
    I don't think it'd be gory. Most critters seem like they'd be all bone or muscle.
  • WrattsWratts The Sweet Surland Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203906Members
    edited October 2015
    On a bit of a tangent, I like to imagine that the player character I play in Subnautica used to actually be a laid-back, very zen-minded janitor on the Aurora before it crashed.

...I'll go get my coat.
  • TysohalTysohal Germany Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207819Members
    @Wratts: Stay! Maybe you are onto something. One possibility: society has developed similiar to that of Star Trek and everyone is now a tea drinking pacifist who has to throw up if he ever thinks about messing with an ecosystem or an existing society. ;)
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    edited October 2015

Sure, we're in the super future and all, but any way of trying to inspect the innards of these creature would result in its death, or at least mutilation. No amount of xrays or whatever the hell they would be using at that point in time would be able to accurately observe the animal's inner workings. Using radioactive isotopes attached to proteins would work, but that would take a stupidly high amount and would probably give the creature radiation poisoning, and nanobots could probably work as well, but we don't know how the immune system of these things work, so it could be possible that foreign bodies within the bloodstream could cause some sort of catastrophic organ failure in the animal that you're studying.

Besides, if UWE were to add in some sort of dissection mechanic, they'd definitely leave the more visceral stuff out.

I still don't see the need for dissection mechanics at all.

Most of the stuff you listed above can be evaluated without need of destructive/invasive studies, especially the possible threat to the nanobots can be predicted by studying the blood of the creature first, and in case of incompatibilities the nanobots can be reworked.

And in the end...if they add a better mechanic to the weapons we have now mutilation/death will become less probable.
    Tysohal wrote: »
    @Wratts: Stay! Maybe you are onto something. One possibility: society has developed similiar to that of Star Trek and everyone is now a tea drinking pacifist who has to throw up if he ever thinks about messing with an ecosystem or an existing society. ;)

The folks in Star Trek still had phasers and ray guns to defend themselves though.
  • WrattsWratts The Sweet Surland Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203906Members
    Tysohal wrote: »

The folks in Star Trek still had phasers and ray guns to defend themselves though.

Worked great till they met the Borg. Then they had to get creative.
  • Agent-48Agent-48 Ostrava City, Czech Republic, EU Join Date: 2015-09-03 Member: 207681Members
    Arbinator, thumb up! ;)
  • blurbrerrrblurbrerrr Join Date: 2015-10-03 Member: 208281Members
    how bout we just get this hand gun sized non lethal weapon which pretty much acts like a (really) high powered taser that make large creatures swim away from u, pretty much like one of the seamoths upgrades, and it doesnt effect the shocker eel thing (duh)
    blurbrerrr wrote: »
    how bout we just get this hand gun sized non lethal weapon which pretty much acts like a (really) high powered taser that make large creatures swim away from u, pretty much like one of the seamoths upgrades, and it doesnt effect the shocker eel thing (duh)

Alternative idea, a laser pointer to make sharks and Reapers follow like cats
  • blurbrerrrblurbrerrr Join Date: 2015-10-03 Member: 208281Members
    blurbrerrr wrote: »

Alternative idea, a laser pointer to make sharks and Reapers follow like cats

when i read that i imagined pointing a laser at a gasopod and cause everything to attack it because it was annoying...

uhh yeah, im cool with that...
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    P.Kerman wrote: »
    Myrm wrote: »
    I can't believe people get so heated up into arguments about a game :D

Well you can make a pretty good argument that as a species we are pretty much insane. ;) A human can get emotionally invested I just about anything and once we are invested strongly enough into something we can be pretty darn vicious if anyone dares to “attack” what we believe in. England’s Hooligans are especially well known but you can find this in pretty much every country that has large sports events.
    [/quote]

And this is the problem, everyone knows about the hooligan problem we had in the 60's,70's a& 80's, yet our fans still get murdered when they go abroad despite us wiping hooliganism in the early 90's, when a whole generation of would be hooligans grew up taking ecstasy and loving their fellow humans instead of kicking their heads in. Also partially caused by the fact that we were banned from European football at the time.

Unfortunately, the fact we no longer have hooligans failed to reach Europe, so when we go abroad, our peaceful families (football is now a family spectator sport in the UK), get beaten and murdered on trips abroad from Ultra's from Europe trying to show how hard they are by killing British fans.

Sure british people get drunk wherever they go, but football hooligans do not exist, just drunk british tourists these days.